What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli Manning: Does Anyone Still Believe? (1 Viewer)

this is 2 yrs in a row they got him in an offense that doesn't suit his style, seriously putting a statue in a WCO offense is square pegging a round hole. Whats next the pistol?

the offensive line is atrocious at pass-protection

Eli can't step into throws.

he's a turnover machine, a drive killing zombie at QB..his skills have clearly dimished..his Wr's are ho-hum, including Cruz, whose numbers were falling off last season..

add to it a defense that can't get off the field on 3rd down , means fewer chances for Eli and Co.

at some point,if the Eli turnovers continue,they HAVE to look at Nassib,right?

Under pressure 31% of his passes in a timing based quick passing offense is yuck.

Eli stinks without a good Oline. He could go to any team with a good line and play well, maybe better than their starter, but put him under pressure and he folds. He's "this much" better than Romo under pressure
That's low. Romo may be the most disrespected QB in NFL history.

Per Roto:

"Giants OC Ben McAdoo threw support behind Eli Manning, saying "he is the perfect fit for this offense."

"I thought that if there was anything encouraging about [the Week 1 loss], it was the comfort level with his feet and the progress he is making fundamentally," McAdoo said of Manning. Eli's fit into the WCO style McAdoo runs has been questioned countless times. After getting blown out by the Lions, the Giants get the Cardinals at home this week. Even with Arizona missing key defenders, its defense is a strong fantasy play thanks to good cover corners."

LOL! :lmao:

Fire Ben McAdoo now. He's obviously dumb. Sorry Giants fans.

Rotoworld:

Eli Manning completed 26-of-39 passes for 277 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Giants' Week 2 loss to the Cardinals.

He has four picks through two weeks. Manning's in-game performance wasn't quite as poor as his final stat line looked against Arizona, as the Giants found a passing-game rhythm for stretches in Sunday's defeat. But Eli obviously remains interception prone and has only one truly reliable pass catcher -- TE Larry Donnell. Eli will enter Week 3 against the Texans as a two-quarterback-league option only, and an underwhelming one at that.

Sep 14 - 4:26 PM

Kind of funny. In the three leagues I play in, all three Peyton owners picked up Eli this week to cover the bye.

Them Manning boys make a good duo.

Rotoworld:

Eli Manning completed 28-of-39 passes for 300 yards, four touchdowns and an interception in New York's 45-14, Week 4 win over the Redskins, adding a one-yard rushing touchdown.

Manning's "interception" was a pass that got ripped out of Rueben Randle's hands in the end zone. Eli has shouldered the blame for no shortage of picks in his career, but this wasn't one of them. Since getting walloped by the Lions in Week 1, Manning has looked reborn in new OC Ben McAdoo's quick-hitting system, posting an 8:3 TD:INT ratio while averaging 270 yards. The G-Men aren't just paying lip service to going uptempo, and it's dramatically improved Manning's game. An offensive line that's actually blocking hasn't hurt, either. Manning should keep rolling in Week 5, when the G-Men host the defense-less Falcons.

Sep 25 - 11:37 PM

Drafted Brady and Wilson to be my QB's. Last week benched Brady for Wilson. This week with Wilson on bye and many injuries on my team dropped Brady to start Eli.

Today I am a happy man.

Giants offense looks very complete. They can run or pass. OLine seems to be doing a pretty good job. Will definitely mix in Eli the rest of the season as starter depending on matchups.

Drafted Brady and Wilson to be my QB's. Last week benched Brady for Wilson. This week with Wilson on bye and many injuries on my team dropped Brady to start Eli.

Today I am a happy man.

Giants offense looks very complete. They can run or pass. OLine seems to be doing a pretty good job. Will definitely mix in Eli the rest of the season as starter depending on matchups.
Picked up Eli after he was dropped late last week. Figured i'd wait a week before plugging him in for Brady. Ouch. He's in my lineup going forward unless Brady shows some life. Let's not forget they get the Cowboys and Eagles twice and have the Falcons at home soon too.

Rotoworld:

The Giants want Eli Manning to complete 70 percent of his passes this season.

It's a barrier that's been breached only seven times in league history, most recently by Alex Smith in 2012 (who was benched). It's not even a vaguely realistic goal for a career 58.5 percent passer (an abysmal 57.5 in 2013), but shows just how serious the G-Men are about remaking their passing attack. Gone are long-developing downfield shots, and in are high-percentage quick passes.

Source: ESPN New York

Jul 28 - 1:43 PM
I literally :lmao: when I read this back in July. Guess what? Eli's completion percentage through the first quarter of the season is 67%.

I know, I have a hard time believing it, too.

Kind of funny. In the three leagues I play in, all three Peyton owners picked up Eli this week to cover the bye.

Them Manning boys make a good duo.
I did the same thing lol

(and picked him up to start over Brady in another league because Brady has been a bum)

As a longtime Eli owner in dynasty, I was as down on Eli as anybody. However, I think we are witnessing the beginning of a Philip Rivers like resurgence. He's got weapons to work with, and those could be getting even better with Beckham likely to get involved as soon as next week. His line seems to be blocking better, and McAdoo's system seems to actually be a really good match for him right now. I think this is a genuine buy low opportunity.

The Giants have a very good looking schedule as well, save week 10 vs SEA. Something north of 4200 yards and 30 TDs seems very realistic now for Eli.

Today I am a happy man.

Picked up Eli after he was dropped late last week. Figured i'd wait a week before plugging him in for Brady. Ouch. He's in my lineup going forward unless Brady shows some life. Let's not forget they get the Cowboys and Eagles twice and have the Falcons at home soon too.
Plus the Redskins again, and the Jaguars. Eli definitely has some defenses he can pass on.

As a longtime Eli owner in dynasty, I was as down on Eli as anybody. However, I think we are witnessing the beginning of a Philip Rivers like resurgence. He's got weapons to work with, and those could be getting even better with Beckham likely to get involved as soon as next week. His line seems to be blocking better, and McAdoo's system seems to actually be a really good match for him right now. I think this is a genuine buy low opportunity.

The Giants have a very good looking schedule as well, save week 10 vs SEA. Something north of 4200 yards and 30 TDs seems very realistic now for Eli.
You could be right, but my guess is that he won't have a Philip Rivers like resurgence. He's always been a great game or terrible game type guy and I don't think that's changed. Obviously seeing this the past few weeks is a positive, but if you're receiving decent offers, I would be considering them and not be expecting the next Rivers.

Let's not forget that the past 2 games have been against the Texans (rookie RB with first start and bad QB) and the Redskins (young QB who made a ton of mistakes). I know that doesn't mean everything, but it's a lot easier to get the offense clicking when the defense is creating turnovers and you're playing on a short field.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope Eli is in for a great year, but there have been many 2-3 game periods over the last several years where it looked like Eli was an elite quarterback. The Giants are a streaky team. They will look strong for 5-6 games then look terrible for 5-6 games. If you had Eli in your starting lineup this week then congrats! but I'd still be very hesitant starting him going forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Giants want Eli Manning to complete 70 percent of his passes this season.

It's a barrier that's been breached only seven times in league history, most recently by Alex Smith in 2012 (who was benched). It's not even a vaguely realistic goal for a career 58.5 percent passer (an abysmal 57.5 in 2013), but shows just how serious the G-Men are about remaking their passing attack. Gone are long-developing downfield shots, and in are high-percentage quick passes.

Source: ESPN New York

Jul 28 - 1:43 PM
I literally :lmao: when I read this back in July. Guess what? Eli's completion percentage through the first quarter of the season is 67%.

I know, I have a hard time believing it, too.
Thing is, he may have the highest completion percentage of his career, but his YPA is right at his career average. He's just throwing shorter passes. His YPC is 10.5, well below his career 12.0 and very low for a QB.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Is it the system, or just a statistical blip? I've always thought that Manning threw a nice deep ball, but wasn't very accurate on the intermediate stuff. I'm not sure you want to take away the down field throws.

He did just miss Cruz on a long pass last night. And then there was one in the endzone where Cruz couldn't get the second foot in bounds. So maybe the deep throws are coming.

You could be right, but my guess is that he won't have a Philip Rivers like resurgence. He's always been a great game or terrible game type guy and I don't think that's changed. Obviously seeing this the past few weeks is a positive, but if you're receiving decent offers, I would be considering them and not be expecting the next Rivers.

Let's not forget that the past 2 games have been against the Texans (rookie RB with first start and bad QB) and the Redskins (young QB who made a ton of mistakes). I know that doesn't mean everything, but it's a lot easier to get the offense clicking when the defense is creating turnovers and you're playing on a short field.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope Eli is in for a great year, but there have been many 2-3 game periods over the last several years where it looked like Eli was an elite quarterback. The Giants are a streaky team. They will look strong for 5-6 games then look terrible for 5-6 games. If you had Eli in your starting lineup this week then congrats! but I'd still be very hesitant starting him going forward.
I'm not trying to suggest he's gonna be an elite option for a fantasy QB. I do think he's got a real chance to put in a good Eli year though.

2009: 4021 yards 27 TDs 14 INTs

2010: 4002/31/25

2011: 4933/29/16

2012: 3948/26/15

2013: 3818/18/27

Basically, in the previous 5 seasons, he was generally a +/-4000 yard QB that threw for 25+ TDs. That fell apart last year. He threw for a couple hundred less yards, and about 10 less TDs than his averages. That's the difference between a quality starting fantasy QB, and a bench guy. I think we are seeing the quality starting fantasy option again this year.

McAdoo's system is the reason his YPC is likely to be down a bit this year. Its designed around shorter throws and letting the WRs make plays with the ball once they get it. Hence Eli's accuracy numbers should be up this year.

The time to buy low was last week. This is more likely the time to sell high.

Not that I feel strongly either way, but why do you feel like it's time to sell high? He's still got 6 more games against the rest of the NFC East and I wouldn't be surprised if all of them are shootouts.

Not that I feel strongly either way, but why do you feel like it's time to sell high? He's still got 6 more games against the rest of the NFC East and I wouldn't be surprised if all of them are shootouts.
I don't see many more 4 pass + 1 rush TD games on the horizon, it was an exception not the norm. Plus you can market the fact that he has 5 more games against the NFC east (not 6). [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]His value will never be higher. I am not saying you should take whatever you can get but you might as well see what's available for a guy who was likely drafted as your #2 QB.[/SIZE]

I think there's a lot of doubters out there. If you drafted RG3 or Brady etc, you may still be able to get Eli pretty cheap and save your QB position.

I don't see many more 4 pass + 1 rush TD games on the horizon, it was an exception not the norm. Plus you can market the fact that he has 5 more games against the NFC east (not 6). [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]His value will never be higher. I am not saying you should take whatever you can get but you might as well see what's available for a guy who was likely drafted as your #2 QB.[/SIZE]
I don't think anyone in their right mind would expect that to be the norm for any quarterback. I see your point, but in these situations if the Eli owner feels like he will do well this season (pretty friendly schedule) then why not trade your QB1? Eli just doesn't command much value on the trade market in my experience.

Yep, we Eli proponents are fully expecting 60TDs this year....Of course it was the exception. Doubtful he scores 5 TDs again in a game this year.

All I am suggesting is Eli seems to be playing good football again. A lot of people seem to have short memories and can only remember 2013. Look back at 2012 and 2011. There's 25+ TD years there with 15/16 INTs. Good passing yardage too. I'm thinking he's in for something like 4200/30/16. That may be a little high, but the schedule is set up well, and its not too far off his averages from 2009-2012. (4226/28/17)

Is it too late for me to answer the OP's original question?

Yes, I still believe (again). :)

I don't see many more 4 pass + 1 rush TD games on the horizon, it was an exception not the norm. Plus you can market the fact that he has 5 more games against the NFC east (not 6). [SIZE=14.28px]His value will never be higher. I am not saying you should take whatever you can get but you might as well see what's available for a guy who was likely drafted as your #2 QB.[/SIZE]
Also factor in that the second Eagles game is week 17. Most leagues are done by then so just 4 more games against NFC East for most people

Everyone keep in mind that was a completely drained and flat Redskins team the Giants blew out last night, and the opposing QB threw some of the worst picks I've ever seen. They gave Eli good field position over and over again. Nice win, and hopefully a sign of things to come, but it's still Eli.

Fortunately he doesn't need to throw for 300 yards 4 TD's + 1 rushing TD to be worth holding and starting against good matchups...for crying out loud how many have been starting Brady when he goes 200 yards 1 TD and that's it, or started Locker week 2 when he barely eclipsed that production

You bet your butt I'm holding...and most likely starting most weeks...Eli in the league where I picked him up to start over Brady because Brady has been a bum.

Obviously I'm still not going to start Eli over Peyton, and now that Peyton's bye is over I will probably try to "sell high" on Eli...but I won't be dropping him.

Everyone keep in mind that was a completely drained and flat Redskins team the Giants blew out last night, and the opposing QB threw some of the worst picks I've ever seen. They gave Eli good field position over and over again. Nice win, and hopefully a sign of things to come, but it's still Eli.
2009 QB 9

2010 QB10

2011 QB 6

2012 QB14

2013 QB 21

My belief is that 2013 is the outlier. Thinking he'll finish between QB6-14. Is that really so hard to believe? Because he's done that 4 of the last 5 years.

He's been one of the top 12 QBs in 3 of the 4 weeks this year already. (that assumes that his 5 tds will place him there this week).

So yeah, I guess its still Eli.

I have a feeling some folks may chase last nights points into next week and beyond with the general lack of QB production across the league.

I have a feeling some folks may chase last nights points into next week and beyond with the general lack of QB production across the league.
In standard Yahoo type scoring (1pt/25pyd 4pt PTD) coming from, say, Brady, if Eli scores literally 50% of what he did last night...that would be 50% more than what Brady has been putting up so far this season.

Put another way, if I recall correctly Eli had, at halftime, double the points Brady finished with weeks 1 and 2.

2009 QB 92010 QB10

2011 QB 6

2012 QB14

2013 QB 21

My belief is that 2013 is the outlier. Thinking he'll finish between QB6-14. Is that really so hard to believe? Because he's done that 4 of the last 5 years.

He's been one of the top 12 QBs in 3 of the 4 weeks this year already. (that assumes that his 5 tds will place him there this week).

What were his ranks in PPG?

I hate Eli, but the reason I would not count him out is because TC is a great coach, He flat out gets scrubs to play like stars alot of times. Because of this, I would pick up Eli if I needed a qb. You have to imagine most people who own him will want to get rid of him because they are probably owners of star qbs like Rodgers, Brees, Manning,Stafford etc. Most people who own him got him at the very end of the draft and I doubt somebody who was planning to play qbbc got Eli as his #2. I would be willing to bet that it probably makes a Rodgers or Brees owner sick to know that they are tempted now to plug in Eli after burning their 2nd rounder on a qb. I am sure you can get him for peanuts even after this week.

2009 QB 92010 QB10

2011 QB 6

2012 QB14

2013 QB 21

What were his ranks in PPG?
Good question but the fact that he is about as close of a lock to play 16 games is a nice advantage. And if you want to do a true PPG comparison you would have to compare his PPG to the PPGs of QBs who didn't play 16 games + the PPG of their replacements.

I hate Eli, but the reason I would not count him out is because TC is a great coach, He flat out gets scrubs to play like stars alot of times. Because of this, I would pick up Eli if I needed a qb. You have to imagine most people who own him will want to get rid of him because they are probably owners of star qbs like Rodgers, Brees, Manning,Stafford etc. Most people who own him got him at the very end of the draft and I doubt somebody who was planning to play qbbc got Eli as his #2. I would be willing to bet that it probably makes a Rodgers or Brees owner sick to know that they are tempted now to plug in Eli after burning their 2nd rounder on a qb. I am sure you can get him for peanuts even after this week.
I don't think Rodgers, Breees, Stafford, etc, owners have Eli.

Why would these people waste a roster spot on a backup QB? Rodgers and Stafford don't have their bye until week 9.

Sure, a lot of Eli owners will be Peyton owners who switched Mannings for the bye, but the rest...I'm not buying it/not seeing it in my leagues.

This is a new offense that he needs to get settled into and we are seeing just that. Eli is not the best fantasy QB and if we were drafting today he still may be drafted low. I'm sure no one is disputing that. But the fact is his schedule is cake for a QB with a few exceptions here and there and has some passing weapons, a great Oline and a good running game. Eli has a bad rep for having games that cant cost you, but things change year to year. Even Derek Anderson had a lights out year once, crazier things have happened. Ben MacAdoo might of had a tough time getting him going and installing his offense, but now that he is clicking on top notch levels and looked like the Green Bay offense last week, what more can you ask for out of a starting QB? The best part is no one drafted him to be a starter so its pure value. I have Brees in one league as my starter and am tempted to trade him. I know he has a slow start and will get going but the value I can have at other positions after trading Brees can turn any team into a contender. I may not even miss much production at QB.

As a Brady/Cousins owner the first 4 weeks, I'm rolling with an Eli/Big Ben matchup rotation. Hoping to get mid QB1 production the rest of the year.

Well, I'm in for the foreseeable future. Lost RG3 so far, then last week was a fatal recipient of Cousin's implosion. Lo and behold Eli was sitting on my WW ( 10 man league ), so has been nabbed.

Plenty of good match ups this year, and can also sprinkle in a bit of some other WW Qb's that play the likes of Oakland in Smith, Hoyer etc throughout the course of the season

Users who are viewing this thread