What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Lewis indicted on drug conspiracy charges... (1 Viewer)

TheDirtyWord

Footballguy
Jamal Lewis in trouble...

NFL star Jamal Lewis indicted on drug conspiracy charges

Douglas High grad proclaims innocence

By BILL RANKIN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/25/04

Star NFL running back Jamal Lewis was indicted Wednesday afternoon by a federal grand jury in Atlanta on drug conspiracy charges.

Lewis, 24, a graduate of Douglass High School in Atlanta, is accused of conspiring to distribute cocaine from June 23, 2000, until July, 19, 2000.

Lewis is innocent of all charges, his attorney said Thursday.

"Jamal Lewis denies any involvement in any criminal activity or any activity involving drugs," Atlanta lawyer Ed Garland said Wednesday.

Lewis' co-defendant, Angelo Jackson, was to appear in court for his arraignment. Lewis will surrender to authorities and appear in court at a later date, said Garland.

This past season, Lewis had the second-best single-season rushing total in league history and also set the single-game rushing mark with 295 yards against Cleveland. With his size, speed and power, Lewis is one of the NFL's premier players.

The 23-year-old Baltimore Ravens running back graduated from Douglass in 1997 and played for the University of Tennessee.

Before he arrived on campus in Knoxville, Lewis and a 17-year-old woman were charged with shoplifting from a Macy's store in Cumberland Mall. Store security officers said they observed a clerk slip a $109 polo shirt into Lewis' shopping bag without charging him.

Lewis, then 18, was sentenced to three years of probation, fined $1,000 and granted first-offender status. That sentence allows first-time offenders' criminal records to be wiped clean if they complete their probationary time without incident.

Lewis is the second Baltimore Raven to face serious charges in Atlanta. In 2000, Raven star linebacker Ray Lewis, who is not related to Jamal Lewis, was charged with two other men in the killings of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar in a Buckhead street fight after a night of partying after Super Bowl XXXIV.

During a sensational trial six months later, Ray Lewis pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice. In exchange for murder charges being dropped and a one-year probation sentence, he testified against his two co-defendants, who later were acquitted of all charges.

Jamal Lewis has turned to Garland and his partner, Don Samuel, the same two lawyers who represented Ray Lewis during the 2000 trial.

Jamal Lewis, after graduating from Douglass High, went on to play at Tennessee. He decided to forgo his senior year and was drafted fifth overall by the Baltimore Ravens.

After gaining a team-record 1,364 yards during the 2000 season as a rookie for the Super Bowl champion Ravens, he tore a knee ligament during practice in August 2001 and was lost for the season. It was the second time in four years Lewis underwent major knee surgery.

During that 2001 season, Lewis was suspended four games after violating the NFL's substance and alcohol-abuse policy. At the time, the league said Lewis would lose four game checks.

Last year was Lewis' best as a pro. He fell just 40 yards short of Eric Dickerson's rushing record of 2,105 yards in 1984. Lewis was voted the Associated Press NFL Offensive Player of the Year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me be the first to say .. who has higher value, Chester Taylor or Musa Smith?It's good that as a Ravens fan I can joke, because this sux.Strange dates for a drug conspiracy - June 23 to July 19, 2000. That's basically the month before his rookie training camp. At that point, he didn't even have his signing bonus money to set the drug ring up with, because he held out for about a week.

That's weird ... he would've been drafted roughly two months before this occured. Why would he jeopardize his status knowing he was getting 1st round dollars?

What a complete jerkoff. He was real easy too root for considering how humble he was after his guarantee and the comeback from the surgeries, but I have less sympathy for a guy dealing than a guy using. How much money do you need?

He will get a slap on the hand. It is interesting in the article of how in 4 sentences he goes from being 24 yo to 23.

<RING>Mike Shanahan: Hello?Ozzie Newsome: Hi, Mike, it's Ozzie Newsome. Say, don't you think Chris McAlister is better than Champ Bailey?MS: I don't know. Why do you ask?OZ: Because we want to trade for Portis, too.

what is the statute of limitations on something like this?this seems ridiculous. it's practically ancient history, why is it being brought up now?

what is the statute of limitations on something like this?this seems ridiculous. it's practically ancient history, why is it being brought up now?
See that's the problem with the Atlanta Police.Arresting Ray Lewis in one day was too fast, but arresting Jamal 3.5 years later was too slow.Their timing is all off.

Not enough details of the alleged incidents to figure out what happened, but this could be an arm twisting by prosecutors who are really after his alleged co-conspirators.If guilty, isn't this his third strike and a 1-year suspension?

See above post re: timing. SOL is probably less than 4 years and is probably in the 7 to 10 year range on drug charges, esp. conpsoiracy drug charges. And I'm sure the federal crime is a long SOL.

See that's the problem with the Atlanta Police.Arresting Ray Lewis in one day was too fast, but arresting Jamal 3.5 years later was too slow.Their timing is all off.
:lol:

SOL is probably less than 4 years and is probably in the 7 to 10 year range on drug charges, esp. conpsoiracy drug charges.
huh? :confused:

65 User(s) are reading this topic (22 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)The Portis trade thread is feeling left out.

More info, from CNNSI:Ravens' Jamal Lewis indicted on drug chargesPosted: Wednesday February 25, 2004 5:00PM; Updated: Wednesday February 25, 2004 5:20PMATLANTA (SI.com) -- Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis, who had the second highest rushing total in NFL history last season, was indicted Wednesday on federal drug conspiracy charges.The 25-year-old Atlanta native is accused of conspiring to distribute cocaine from June 23-July 19, 2000.Lewis is charged with conspiring to possess with the intent to distribute five kilograms of a substance containing cocaine and using a cellular phone in the commission of the first count, U.S. Attorney William S. Duffey announced at a news conference.FBI special agent Hoyt Mahaley stated in an affidavit that an informant contacted Lewis concerning the cocaine and recorded the conversation."The cooperating source told Lewis that he/she was willing to sell the narcotics to Lewis' associates for a price that Lewis can tax," meaning the price could be marked up for a profit, Mahaley said in the affidavit."And Lewis responded 'Yeah,"' the affidavit said.Duffey said Lewis is expected to turn himself into authorities on Thursday.CNN reports that another man, Angelo Jackson, charged may have already turned himself in.SI.com's Don Banks reports the Ravens have been made aware of Lewis' indictment within the past hour. The club is preparing a statement. Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Lewis currently is in Florida.Lewis was the NFL's leading rusher last season with 2,066 yards, the second-highest total in league history.

Here's a thought.Nobody really knows what strikes one and two were for Jamal under the NFL's drug policy, since that stuff is kept confidential.Is it possible that Jamal knew this indictment was coming (obviously the investigation's been ongoing for a couple of years) and so came clean to the NFL during the 2001 season, figuring that he'd serve his four-game suspension while he was injured and couldn't play anyway?:graspsatstraw:

that's it?he said "Yeah" 3 and a half years ago in response to a call, and that is going to get him convicted on federal charges?this is BS. there has to be more to the story than that. If not, I bet he walks.

that's it?he said "Yeah" 3 and a half years ago in response to a call, and that is going to get him convicted on federal charges?this is BS. there has to be more to the story than that. If not, I bet he walks.
Oh get real. Of course there is more to the case than a mere "yeah." I'm sure the federal prosecutors are willing to disclose their entire case to the press at this point.

Here's a thought.Nobody really knows what strikes one and two were for Jamal under the NFL's drug policy, since that stuff is kept confidential.Is it possible that Jamal knew this indictment was coming (obviously the investigation's been ongoing for a couple of years) and so came clean to the NFL during the 2001 season, figuring that he'd serve his four-game suspension while he was injured and couldn't play anyway?:graspsatstraw:
:rotflmao: good stuff

Grand jury proceedings are closed to the public, so that's not it. Besides, the government only needs to put on a minimal amount of evidence to get an indictment, so it's likely they probably presented very little anyway (that affidavit may be sufficient to get an indictment).

You actually think that 4 years is too long a SOL for conspiracy to deal drugs?They've probably been building their case for a while, and/or just recently found out about it.

Conspiracy charges are notoriously hard to prove. I suspect, as was said above, that they want him to sing like a canary, in order to nail the others.

The federal U.S. Attorneys, who would prosecute the case, have over a 95% conviction rate. The minimum sentences for this type of federal drug offense are significant active time. This is far from a Pittman type of situation where a slap on the wrist possibility applies. If Lewis is convicted, he will see considerable prison time. I can't imagine what lesser offense he could plead guilty to, that would not involve significant prison time.As a state attorney general, and a former defense attorney, I have always been amazed at the severity of federal criminal law sentences. It doesn't take much to transform a state crime in some instances to a federal crime. But once a defendant is indicted for a federal drug crime, god help him.Over a 95% conviction rate. And that's not just because the U.S. Attorneys are good. It's also in large part because they don't even submit to the grand jury for indictment until they have the case virtually wrapped up. It's a lot different from state police issuing charges before they have their ducks lined up. :o

Yes, I think 4 years is too damn long!...but I thought it was 7. Either is ridiculous. Hundreds of thousands of kids each year break the law in college thorugh victimless crimes. Once they have moved on, most transgressions like these should be forgotten.Of course, 5 kilos is a little different than the average situation. This law still hits too close to home for me.I imagine my post will anger a few...oh well.

The federal U.S. Attorneys, who would prosecute the case, have over a 95% conviction rate. The minimum sentences for this type of federal drug offense are significant active time.

This is far from a Pittman type of situation where a slap on the wrist possibility applies. If Lewis is convicted, he will see considerable prison time. I can't imagine what lesser offense he could plead guilty to, that would not involve significant prison time.

As a state attorney general, and a former defense attorney, I have always been amazed at the severity of federal criminal law sentences. It doesn't take much to transform a state crime in some instances to a federal crime. But once a defendant is indicted for a federal drug crime, god help him.

Over a 95% conviction rate. And that's not just because the U.S. Attorneys are good. It's also in large part because they don't even submit to the grand jury for indictment until they have the case virtually wrapped up. It's a lot different from state police issuing charges before they have their ducks lined up. :o
That's the first thing that came to my mind too when I heard this. Federal Drug Charges is big time. They don't lose much. Aren't there mandatory minimums? If this is true Jamal is in deep doo-doo.And I like Chester Taylor over Musa Smith ;)

Conspiracy charges are notoriously hard to prove.  I suspect, as was said above, that they want him to sing like a canary, in order to nail the others.
Yes, conspiracy is hard to prove. Notwithstanding whatever may happen in the Martha Stewat case, the Feds are pros at proving conspiracy cases, though.Unlike State prosecutors, the U.S. Attorneys have the FBI and DEA to build their cases. Their resources are simply amazing.Because they often have the evidence to convict, they often don't have to give sweetheart deals to a co-defendant, to the extent that the co-defendant walks away with no prison time. I can't think of an applicable amount of prison time that would not drastically affect (or end) his career if he's on the hook. This is depressing, because looking at him purely from athletic achievement, the guy is a hero, to come back from the surgeries and accomplish what he has since then. :(

The federal U.S. Attorneys, who would prosecute the case, have over a 95% conviction rate. The minimum sentences for this type of federal drug offense are significant active time. This is far from a Pittman type of situation where a slap on the wrist possibility applies. If Lewis is convicted, he will see considerable prison time. I can't imagine what lesser offense he could plead guilty to, that would not involve significant prison time.As a state attorney general, and a former defense attorney, I have always been amazed at the severity of federal criminal law sentences. It doesn't take much to transform a state crime in some instances to a federal crime. But once a defendant is indicted for a federal drug crime, god help him.Over a 95% conviction rate. And that's not just because the U.S. Attorneys are good. It's also in large part because they don't even submit to the grand jury for indictment until they have the case virtually wrapped up. It's a lot different from state police issuing charges before they have their ducks lined up. :o
95% conviction rates apply for US Attys b/c they get plea bargains in a vast majority of their cases. Also, almost all the drug convictionis in the investigation - if the investigation andbust are kosher, you're going down.Finally, the fed. minimum sentencing for drug convictions are so high and the threshhold for being subject to the minimum is so low that most drug attys advice is to plead guilty to a lesser charge or roll over.

Oh get real. Of course there is more to the case than a mere "yeah." I'm sure the federal prosecutors are willing to disclose their entire case to the press at this point.
why say anything then? if you're going to make a statement to the press about what the person did, why say something as stupid as that.he said "yeah" so he's busted. get real.
The indictment came out of a drug investigation that has led to 30 convictions and helped dismantle a cocaine-trafficking ring in the city, Duffey said. He refused to say whether Lewis was tied to that drug ring.In an affidavit, FBI special agent Hoyt Mahaley said that an informant contacted Lewis on his cell phone on June 23, 2000, to set up the cocaine buy. The conversation was recorded, according to the agent."The cooperating source told Lewis that he/she was willing to sell the narcotics to Lewis' associates for a price that Lewis can tax," meaning the price could be marked up for a profit, Mahaley said in the affidavit."And Lewis responded 'Yeah,"' the agent said.A Ravens spokesman, Chad Steele, said the indictment came as a surprise to the team."We had no clue," Steele said.While Ravens officials acknowledged to SI.com's Don Banks that they are very early in the process of learning the details of Lewis' indictment, they characterize the circumstances surrounding his alleged involvement as "very suspect,'' and privately express optimism that their star running back will be cleared of wrong doing.
CNN/SI LINK

You actually think that 4 years is too long a SOL for conspiracy to deal drugs?They've probably been building their case for a while, and/or just recently found out about it.
#1 I was asking what the SOL was on charges like this.#2 Now that I hear it is 4 years or longer, my response to your questoin is: ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELYthe war on drugs is a huge waste of time, money, and resouces.according to the story, someone asked him if he was interested in buying drugs to resell them, and he said "yeah". doesn't say that he ever actually went through with it. He was ratted out by an informant, who BTW are not known to be the most trustworthy of people.if you're going to arrest people for stupid #### they said 4 years ago, might as well throw us all in jail.and for the record, if Jamal Lewis did anything more than say "yeah" on the phone, he's got to be one of the stupidest athletes ever. right up there with Bam Morris for driving cross country with a carful of pot.

Aaron28, again, nobody knows the full facts of the case at this moment besides the grand jury that indicted him and the lawyers/judge involved. Your attempt to trivialize this legal issue is laughable at best. You must be a Jamal Lewis owner. The guy's a thug, always has been, and he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law just like any other person who conspires to sell drugs.

Jamal owners are on the ledge right now.I also agree with Joffer. Chestor Taylor will be THE GUY. Ravens will probably be at the top of the list for Garner right now too.......

Aaron28, again, nobody knows the full facts of the case at this moment besides the grand jury that indicted him and the lawyers/judge involved. Your attempt to trivialize this legal issue is laughable at best. You must be a Jamal Lewis owner. The guy's a thug, always has been, and he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law just like any other person who conspires to sell drugs.
I'm not attempting to do anything. It's a trumped up charge, and he will be acquitted!and yes, I am a Jamal Lewis owner :bag:

right up there with Bam Morris for driving cross country with a carful of pot.
if you're going to arrest people for stupid #### they said 4 years ago, might as well throw us all in jail.
Well Aaron, if in the past four years you've said any "stupid ####" to the effect of:-I agree to be a middleman in a drug transaction-I agree to murder somebody for money-I agree to commit securities fraudor a host of other felonies, then you had best consult a lawyer. This wasn't "stupid ####" like "American Pie is the best movie ever" or "Jeez my boss's daughter is hot". This is active participation in a felony.
and for the record, if Jamal Lewis did anything more than say "yeah" on the phone, he's got to be one of the stupidest athletes ever
My guess is that the feds didn't just call random cell phones, blather about potential drug transactions, and indict everybody who said "yeah". My guess is that Jamal did quite a bit more than say "yeah"; whether it will be established in a court of law remains to be seen.

Given that we are on a fantasy football forum, what now? Those of you with Jamal in a keeper/dynasty league, do you keep him or trade him?If you trade him, what is he worth? (players, draft picks - either or both)

Well Aaron, if in the past four years you've said any "stupid ####" to the effect of:-I agree to be a middleman in a drug transaction-I agree to murder somebody for money-I agree to commit securities fraudor a host of other felonies, then you had best consult a lawyer. This wasn't "stupid ####" like "American Pie is the best movie ever" or "Jeez my boss's daughter is hot". This is active participation in a felony.My guess is that the feds didn't just call random cell phones, blather about potential drug transactions, and indict everybody who said "yeah". My guess is that Jamal did quite a bit more than say "yeah"; whether it will be established in a court of law remains to be seen.
all I'll say in response is that I think saying things are different from actually doing them. I'm not big on arresting people for something they thought about or talked about 4 years ago if they never actually DID anything.this whole "conspiring" to do anything is BS, IMHO. But, I agree and understand that an indictment by a federal grand jury is not a good sign.I'm still optimistic that this isn't as bad as it initially seems. If the case against him is built solely on the testimony of a single informant, I say he gets off clean.

Your attempt to trivialize this legal issue is laughable at best. You must be a Jamal Lewis owner.
bingo :yes: funny how we take up for the most vile people if they happen to be on our FF team.

Users who are viewing this thread