What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Doug Martin, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

With a 6-1 team I haven't been able to get any good waiver claims lately (pity me). I did get Martin this week though and I'm starting him at non-PPR flex.

I don't exactly have high hopes but I can see bad coaching leading to decent volume.

Chicago Hooligan said:
I don't exactly have high hopes but I can see bad coaching leading to decent volume.
I agree on that. Even if Martin trudges along at a low YPC clip for the next few games and the team continues to lose, Chucky will still keep feeding him.

Not a bad bye week filler that I got for free.  13 carries 72 yards with goal line looks.  He clearly has juice left in the tank that will get 12-20 touches per week.  Even had 2 catches for 17 yards.  Not a league winner but can't complain about the volume with a chance at a score.  Yeah he fumbled but it's not like Gruden will complain about the loss.  It's all about racking up draft picks.  On this run he's looking spry.

https://youtu.be/5arlkP-8FOg?t=243

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone holding? I picked him up two weeks ago as a total flyer. I had zero expectations, but the one thing I felt pretty sure of was that I'd be able to tell pretty quickly if he still had any value. But that hasn't really been true. He's been ... fine. Not terrible enough that I can drop him without a second thought, but not so good that he's a definite stash (or decent trade bait). The offense probably won't be as bad ROS as they were tonight, but Lord, they ain't good.

I don't really need him (in a league where we can only start two RBs, I have Saquon, Michel, Lindsay and DLewis) and I"m strongly considering grabbing Fitz right now so I have him for Mahomes' bye Week 12. The one thing that's giving me pause is Week 11. Michel is on bye, Lindsay and Lewis have middling matchups, and Martin gets to face the porous AZ run D (he actually has a number of good matchups down the stretch, including KC, Cinci and Denver, with horrible matchups vs Pitt and Baltimore mixed in there). Still, not sure I could ever fully trust him.

I played him in my RB2 slot tonight.  I've got Gurley/Collins/Ito Smith.  After reading Collins missed practice, I put Martin in at RB2.  Leaving the flex spot open in case Collins does play, or if he doesn't I've got Coutee and I can audible.  

In any event: I think tonight is honestly about what you get.  +/- a TD on the weeks he falls into the endzone.  He'll get most of the carries.  Their defense is bad.  Their offense is bad.  I think we'll see a lot of negative game scripts, which will put Richard on the field more.  

He got me 7.4 in a 0.5 PPR league.  Collins has had less than that 3x this year, so meh.  It's fine. He's depth.  He won't win a league.  If you don't NEED the depth--I think it's fine to drop the guy.  Me--he's the 3rd option at RB until Bell comes back. Maybe the 4th depending on how you view Smith.  But it is what it is.

In any event: I think tonight is honestly about what you get.  +/- a TD on the weeks he falls into the endzone.  He'll get most of the carries.  Their defense is bad.  Their offense is bad.  I think we'll see a lot of negative game scripts, which will put Richard on the field more.  

He got me 7.4 in a 0.5 PPR league.  Collins has had less than that 3x this year, so meh.  It's fine. He's depth.  He won't win a league.  If you don't NEED the depth--I think it's fine to drop the guy.  Me--he's the 3rd option at RB until Bell comes back. Maybe the 4th depending on how you view Smith.  But it is what it is.
Not to get all Assistant Coach-y, but how would you compare his ROS value to Dion Lewis' in non-PPR? I feel like they're actually kind of similar. Stuck in RBBCs on bad offenses, medium floor/low ceiling, probably fine for a spot start if you need them. As I said in my previous post, Martin has some good match-ups ROS. And his bad match-ups are really bad, so you won't be tempted to use him there.

• Week 10 LAC
  • Week 11@Ari
  • Week 12 @Bal
  • Week 13 KC
  • Week 14 Pit
  • Week 15 @Cin
  • Week 16 Den

In my 12 team standard league any RB with volume is owned.  End of story.

The "Cool kids Martin is bad bashing club" like to stroll down the hall.  But what I saw the last two weeks is a veteran who still has plenty of juice.  He's also getting some targets per game.  "Cool kids Martin is bad bashing club" fail to mention that TB preferred Charles Sims as the passing down back.  But Martin has always had 3rd down skillset.  Yes Richard is the primary passing back.  But Martin will get some as well.  Conclusion...Martin is a 3 down back with goal line carries.  That's a solid RB2.  Tell me if you can find better on waivers this time of year.

The "Cool kids Martin is bad bashing club" like to stroll down the hall.  But what I saw the last two weeks is a veteran who still has plenty of juice.  He's also getting some targets per game.  "Cool kids Martin is bad bashing club" fail to mention that TB preferred Charles Sims as the passing down back.  But Martin has always had 3rd down skillset.  Yes Richard is the primary passing back.  But Martin will get some as well.  Conclusion...Martin is a 3 down back with goal line carries.  That's a solid RB2.  Tell me if you can find better on waivers this time of year.
I agree for the most part (I’ve owned Martin for years in dynasty and he’s super frustrating to own).  The Team is too bad to make him useable as a rb2.   No he shouldn’t be on waivers but he also shouldn’t be in your lineup if at all possible.  

I saw Richard in on all 3rd downs last night except a third and inches.  I would rather own Richard in PPR leagues.

My general view in fantasy is that we know less than we think we do. In Martin's case, I feel reasonably certain about a couple things:

• He's not totally cooked as some feared
  • He seems fairly locked into the two-down role unless game script goes completely against him
  • He plays for a really terrible offense
  • He has some very favorable matchups ROS
That's helpful info, but it doesn't really tell us how valuable he'll be ROS. I think I'm going to hold for now and decide after next week if he's worth starting Week 11 vs AZ.

I've been playing him at flex but not with much enthusiasm. Seems like one of those guys where you're begging for a TD to see any value, and there are plenty of those guys out there. But I wasn't able to get Chubb/Mack/etc. so... here we are.

steelwind said:

I agree with this. A lot of folks were burned by Martin back in the day and they understandably are off him. But I saw him running last year for the Bucs in the Dome and I thought he looked fine. He had burst, ran with strength and confidence, looked like a very good back. But the Raiders are so, so, so bad, it's hopeless. It's not Martin, it's the Raiders, stay away.

steelwind said:

Good points, and agree. Martin isn't going to be a league winner but could be a solid flex start to cover byes. He will be TD dependent, but what I've seen so far is what most objective eyes see -- a guy who is running hard and looks fairly quick still, and can contribute to the running game. But not a guy who is going to consistently get you reliable FF points given the cap on his production -- Richard (and Washington) have been and will always be the 3rd down/passing back, so Martin's snaps will be limited in this regard, and the Raiders will need to throw a lot coming from behind. 

But to the point of the wire being barren, Martin could provide some value against some soft Ds coming up, particularly those that play the run worse than the pass. 

Don't Noonan said:
I saw Richard in on all 3rd downs last night except a third and inches.  I would rather own Richard in PPR leagues.
Yes. It was never a question of who was the passing down back -- you will pretty much always see Richard (or Washington) in on nearly all 3rd downs -- it;s how they've both been used in this offense since they came to the team in 2016.

Coach Jon Gruden admitted Monday that he's not concerned with Doug Martin's ankle injury.

"I think he'll be okay," said Gruden. Gruden later conceded the real reason Martin was benched at halftime was because he wants to get DeAndre Washington more touches going forward. The Raiders' backfield has devolved into a three-man committee with Martin, Washington, and Jalen Richard all sharing work.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter 

Nov 19 - 4:20 PM

Raiders re-signed RB Doug Martin.

Isaiah Crowell tore his Achilles' in a workout with the Raiders on Tuesday, so the team needed a new veteran back to at the very least bring to camp. Martin rebounded last year in Oakland, rushing 172 times for 723 yards (4.2 YPC) and four touchdowns across 16 games, including nine starts. He'll slide in alongside first-round rookie Josh Jacobs while the Raiders figure out what they have in DeAndre Washington and Chris Warren as potential younger solutions.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

May 1, 2019, 3:06 PM ET

Raiders released RB Doug Martin.

He was competing for a backup role behind rookie Josh Jacobs but lost out to DeAndre Washington. Martin was reasonably productive last year, supplying 839 yards from scrimmage (723 rushing, 116 receiving) with four touchdowns while filling in for injured workhorse Marshawn Lynch. Perhaps the Texans will pursue him as an option to replace Lamar Miller, who tore his ACL in Saturday's preseason game.
Welcome to Houston Douggie.

Hit or miss career but that TNF game against the Vikings his rookie year was awesome.

Boy, they really want Jacobs to be great, don’t they?

Hit or miss career but that TNF game against the Vikings his rookie year was awesome.

Boy, they really want Jacobs to be great, don’t they?
Jacobs' stock gonna skyrocket now that Richard/Washington is his only competition.

I don't think Martin will be unemployed too long, might be a Week 2 signing.

Interesting that they let go of Martin, who actually did OK last year, and continue to hold onto DeAndre Washington, who has done nothing yet seems to be forever on the chopping block.

Jacobs' stock gonna skyrocket now that Richard/Washington is his only competition.

I don't think Martin will be unemployed too long, might be a Week 2 signing.
Jacobs went 4.01 today my LT league, I almost took him st 3.10 & def wanted him st 4.03. Gonna see a lot of work.

Users who are viewing this thread