What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Looks like my remote probe died

any recommendations?   I had Maverick Redi Check before...im not super serious, maybe do a few smokes a year.

Did @TheFanatic Oklahoma' Joe's beans and pork belly burnt ends today along with a yard bird and some ribs.  High praise all around but the beans and ends clearly the stars of the show.  Also broke in my new Fireboard.  Love it.  Gonna do an Office Space style beatdown of my Loki. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.

Looks like my remote probe died

any recommendations?   I had Maverick Redi Check before...im not super serious, maybe do a few smokes a year.
I actually have a couple of these: Bluetooth Probe

Cheap and very reliable. Had a problem with one and had a new one shipped in a matter of days with zero hassle. 

The app works well on both my iPhone and Android. 

Gonna smoke tri-tip this weekend, never done one before.  Current thought is just salt/pepper rub like I do with most beef, any other tried and true rub suggestions for this cut?

So would love to hear thoughts on how screwed my smoker is. Have a Louisiana Grill pellet smoker.

The tl;dr version is I'm an idiot and created a situation where grease (brisket to be specific) was able to drip around and into the firebox. This caused the backflow fire into the feed tube and into the pellet hopper where I had brisket grease in the pellets, on the underside of the hopper lid and so much that grease was dripping down from the lid onto the outside of the hopper. Flames were coming out of the hopper.

I was able to extinguish it (turned it off and removed the pellets). I cleaned up the best I could but now when I use it the pellets will not burn completely and builds an ash trail up into the feed tube. My guess is there is a still a lot of grease in the tube that is coating the pellets. I did another long cook after the first fire and it started happening again after about 8 hours, smoke was coming out of the pellet hopper but no fire.

It wasn't super expensive but is this something I could dissemble and clean up with dawn and water or is it better to scrap it?

That one guy said:
Gonna smoke tri-tip this weekend, never done one before.  Current thought is just salt/pepper rub like I do with most beef, any other tried and true rub suggestions for this cut?
I add some garlic powder, but that's about it.

That one guy said:
Santa Maria style.  Add garlic powder to your salt/pepper, paprika, onion powder, rosemary, and cayenne for dry spices.  Dijon mustard, EVOO, and red wine vinegar for wet.  Let it sit for at least 3 hours.  I do it overnight. 

How big is the cut?  I'd reverse sear it on a hot grill too after giving it the smoke.  

That one guy said:
Pappy's seasoning rub on the tri-tip is what I grew up on.

Got my two shoulders on just as the rains started. Another 30 minutes on my boiled peanuts and I'm going to bed.

On deck for tomorrow are Babybacks, smoked mac n cheese, baked beans with rib drippings in them, lima beans, potato salad, and a cake. Gonna be a busy day tomorrow.

I've got some things to do today, but am hungry for ribs.

Can I wrap a rack in foil and cook on my gas grill for like an hour at 300ish, then char over direct heat?

Baby's or spares? (I usually smoke spares)

I've got some things to do today, but am hungry for ribs.

Can I wrap a rack in foil and cook on my gas grill for like an hour at 300ish, then char over direct heat?

Baby's or spares? (I usually smoke spares)
I don't think that's enough time for even babybacks

Got the spare ribs going and have the temperature right around 220 (just opened the vents up a little more to get it to 225).  Thinking around 5 hours should do the trick.  :thumbup:  

Looking at doing apple pie baked beans.  Instead of frying the bacon and sauteeing the onions peppers, can I just throw the uncooked ingredients, including the bacon, into the smoker and cook at 250 for 2 hours?(With baby backs above sending their regards.)

Hovering around 220-225

ill post some pics of the final product 
Been stalled for awhile I bumped up to 250+.  It’s at 168 so still hoping to be 195+ by 7 (I know some people go to 205) Not a big group so if we have to eat later not a big deal but would like it done at a reasonable time

Been stalled for awhile I bumped up to 250+.  It’s at 168 so still hoping to be 195+ by 7 (I know some people go to 205) Not a big group so if we have to eat later not a big deal but would like it done at a reasonable time
Hindsight 20/20 I would have either bumped it up or foiled (crutch) earlier. 

Reason being that I think one of the things I try to plan for is 1+ hour foiled in a cooler. I think that helps the juices get back together and eases the pulling. ( IMHO I think 1.5 to 2.5 hours is the sweet spot). 

Hindsight 20/20 I would have either bumped it up or foiled (crutch) earlier. 

Reason being that I think one of the things I try to plan for is 1+ hour foiled in a cooler. I think that helps the juices get back together and eases the pulling. ( IMHO I think 1.5 to 2.5 hours is the sweet spot). 
Yeah i don’t like foiling, it’s up to 188 now and would still like it to rest a bit so looks like everything will be fine

Wegmans was out of babybacks 🙄

Bought a 3.5 lb rack of spares. Trimmed off the thick flap thing. Rubbed and let sit for an hour. Indirect on gas grill for 2 hrs wrapped in foil. Let sit for 20ish minutes while foil pack of apple chips got smoking.

Charring for a lil less than 10 mins per side now

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to smoke my butts at around 275-300 to avoid the stall.  Still proves like butter.  Sounds like you pushed through it though.

I was cooking 2 butts for my sons graduation party a few weeks ago and had a 3 hour stall were the temp went from 158 to 161.   Was a tad bit stressful but was able to pull it off at 6:00.  About 85% pulled perfectly and tasted great. 

Hope yours powers thru the stall and you’re eating soon. 

Wegmans was out of babybacks 🙄

Bought a 3.5 lb rack of spares. Trimmed off the thick flap thing. Rubbed and let sit for an hour. Indirect on gas grill for 2 hrs wrapped in foil. Let sit for 20ish minutes while foil pack of apple chips got smoking.

Charring for a lil less than 10 mins per side now
The flat half of the rack turned out pretty good.

The thicker end was a little more chewy than I would have liked

I think babybacks would work better with this method

Ribs didn’t turn out too good.  Second time in a row.  I did 2.5-2-1 and used butcher paper instead of foil.  Kept the smoker at 220-240, it was 225 most of the time.  

Too dry.  What am I doing wrong?

Ribs didn’t turn out too good.  Second time in a row.  I did 2.5-2-1 and used butcher paper instead of foil.  Kept the smoker at 220-240, it was 225 most of the time.  

Too dry.  What am I doing wrong?
Babybacks or spares?

Rub?

Adding any honey or sauce when you foil? 

Smoker setup allow for water bowl?

Babybacks

yellow mustard and rub

added some apple juice when I wrapped in paper

weber Smokey mountain, water bowl full. 

Babybacks

yellow mustard and rub

added some apple juice when I wrapped in paper

weber Smokey mountain, water bowl full. 
I usually do my babybacks 2.5 - 1.5 - 45 minutes at 250. 

I apply barbecue sauce mixed with bourbon and the rib rub multiple times on last segment.

I never used butcher paper so I can't comment on that.

How long is rub on for before placing on smoker? I usually don't do more than 30 minutes for fear they turn out hammy

Users who are viewing this thread