What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Just put a couple of pork shoulders on the WSM with a couple of racks of St. Louis style ribs to follow in 3 hours or so. Trying the higher heat approach. I'm dialed in at 300 degrees right now with a mix of hickory and apple. 

In the mean time I will prep for mac n cheese, baked beans, and a peach cobbler. Temperatures are currently @63 degrees and dry. Beautiful day. 
You feeding the village today?

You feeding the village today?
Ha, I'm feeding a few people. I'm taking a good portion of it to my MIL's house for her and my nephews and the rest is for me and the Mrs. May fix Pops a plate or so as well.

Getting ready to go prep the ribs now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered a new smoker to experiment with, a Rec Tec Bull with smokebox and competition cart. Pellets make me feel a little dirty but all this wood cutting and chopping is wearing me out. If the Rec Tec works out the Lang will go into special occasion and hot & fast duty. Also thinking it could work for the first couple hours of a brisket to infuse with good smoke and then move to the Rec Tec for the long haul finish. I have to admit I'm kinda looking forward to my first brisket that I don't have to get up every 30-45 minutes to tend a fire.  

Sell Out With Me

Ordered a new smoker to experiment with, a Rec Tec Bull with smokebox and competition cart. Pellets make me feel a little dirty but all this wood cutting and chopping is wearing me out. If the Rec Tec works out the Lang will go into special occasion and hot & fast duty. Also thinking it could work for the first couple hours of a brisket to infuse with good smoke and then move to the Rec Tec for the long haul finish. I have to admit I'm kinda looking forward to my first brisket that I don't have to get up every 30-45 minutes to tend a fire.  

Sell Out With Me
:no:  This is like finding out Dentist got married.

Sell Out With Me
The WSM is the best of both worlds, at least for me. Once I get the temp dialed in it's usually good for hours if need be. I do understand that they are not for everyone. 

I need a recipe for my Weber kettle this weekend.  Fattie recipe or what not. Max 4hrs.

Sell Out With Me
What is the world coming to? Next thing you know, you will be espousing the virtues of the Baby Back Rib to all that will listen!

I need a recipe for my Weber kettle this weekend.  Fattie recipe or what not. Max 4hrs.
Stuffed pork tenderloin. You pick the stuffing. (Sweet like apple based or savory like veggie/herbs or spicy like cheese and peppers) Wrap in bacon. 1.5  hours indirect roughly.  Cook to temp. 

Can do same with pork loin. Much larger cut can take 2.5 hours or so.

With kettle you can give quick reverse sear to either as well.

Here we go...

Initial Impressions

It is a tank compared to any and all gas or charcoal grills I've seen. Lots of quality SS.

It does not compare in terms of thickness of steel, etc. with my Lang or other custom stick burners. Than again, I like the SS since I'm keeping it outdoors on the coast.

It feels very short.

Fire up was effortless!!! Burn in now and then a quick pork tenderloin smoke for dinner.

Here we go...

Initial Impressions

It is a tank compared to any and all gas or charcoal grills I've seen. Lots of quality SS.

It does not compare in terms of thickness of steel, etc. with my Lang or other custom stick burners. Than again, I like the SS since I'm keeping it outdoors on the coast.

It feels very short.

Fire up was effortless!!! Burn in now and then a quick pork tenderloin smoke for dinner.
If that is vinyl siding it's way too close to the house.

Here we go...

Initial Impressions

It feels very short.

The bullhorn handles are sweet.  :thumbup:

Question with all of this knife talk - how often should you need to sharpen a knife for it to be considered a decent knife?  Feels like I am bouncing around to a lot of knives that I buy, and while they sharpen up, in a few weeks they needed to be sharpened up a bit.

The back deck is being semi demolished as I type. We are shoring up all the bad spots, replacing some rails, repositioning some steps and most important, adding an outdoor kitchen with cabinets, counter tops, etc. 
So they started work yesterday. A couple hours into demo, I got the call. "Hey, this is <my contractor>. Do you want to come out here and see what we found?" That's never a good call. About 8 joists were rotted all to hell. So my bill just went up a grand. 

Question with all of this knife talk - how often should you need to sharpen a knife for it to be considered a decent knife?  Feels like I am bouncing around to a lot of knives that I buy, and while they sharpen up, in a few weeks they needed to be sharpened up a bit.
How long does it take to have to fight the meat and the knife when slicing? And if that doesn't take very long to happen after a good sharpening, then look at a harder grade of steel that will hold an edge longer. Also, let the knives designed to cut bone, cut bone. Don't do that with your carvers. 

Worked my derriere off last night with fajita bar. Marinated flank steak, shrimp, corn, onions, peppers. Then the tortillas of course

Decided to do a tailgate theme today and about to start on crostinis, grilled chicken breast sammiches, and Italian sausages.

I smoked a brisket on Sunday, forgot to take pics but it came out pretty good (7/10).  Got distracted and took it off a little later than I'd wanted to, 195 instead of 190, but it was still plenty moist. Had tons of leftovers though so cranked out a smoked brisket hash tonight for dinner, topped with over-easy eggs and toast. It was money.

So I'm flying to Vegas tomorrow and then driving to Bryce Canyon Utah on Friday morning where we will commence the first annual Social Feasts event. This is an event where I take a bunch of social influencers out to a scenic location, and we cook, drink, revel, mingle and generally have a good time and them share all that with the masses via social media, all the while promoting a few products so that we can get brands to pay for it all. We will be grilling/campfire cooking for four days. Here's the menu:

#SOCIALFEASTS
ARRIVAL DINNER
OCTOBER 4

SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
PEAR THYME SANGRIA
CINNAMON APPLE SANGRIA
UPSIDE DOWN PORK NACHOS
CABOT CHEESE BOARD
CHARCUTERIE WITH SMOKED
PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND SALMON
HOMEMADE JAMS & CHUTNEYS
SPICED NUTS
ZA’ATAR GARBANZO BEANS

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 5

RACK OF LAMB WITH WITH ANCHO HONEY SAUCE - My recipe
PORK & FARM ON A STICK
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE & VEGGIES
ROASTED HATCH CHILE
CHEDDAR BISCUITS WITH MARMALADE HONEY BUTTER
HONEYED FRUIT SALAD AND SMOKED MEATS & CHEESES

LUNCH
OCTOBER 5

GET OUT AND EXPLORE THE
BEAUTY OF BRYCE CANYON.
BURGERS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR
THOSE AT CAMP.
BURGER BAR
TOP IT THE WAY YOU LIKE IT

DINNER
OCTOBER 5

ASADO WHOLE HOG WITH SOUTH CAROLINA MOP
APPALACHIAN PINTO BEANS
DUTCH OVEN CORN PUDDING
CUCUMBER CELERY OLIVE ODYSSEY SALAD
PHOENIX FLATBREAD
GRILLED CHOCOLATE CARAMEL TOFFEE COOKIES
SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
SMOKED WHISTLE PIG
OLD FASHION

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 6

BEEF MARROW BONES
CRINKLY COCONUT SCONES
JAPANESE FLUFFY PANCAKES WITH STRAWBERRY SRIRACHA SYRUP
WHOLE HOG HASH WITH BELLY, CRACKLIN & LOIN

LUNCH
OCTOBER 6

TRI-TIP TACOS
PORK VERDE TACOS
KICK BACK WITH TACOS AT CAMP
OR FIND A NEW ADVENTURE BY JEEP,
HORSE OR ON FOOT.

DINNER
OCTOBER 6

SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
SMOKED GRAPEFRUIT PALOMA
COPPER RIVER CEDAR-PLANKED SALMON
SQUATCH SALMON
BLOW TORCH PORK RIBS - My recipe
EGGPLANT WITH BUTTERMILK SAUCE
DUTCH OVEN BREAD
S’MORES CROQUEMBOUCHE

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 7

BONE-IN PORK CHOPS
DECADENT FRENCH TOAST WITH HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY JAM & MAPLE WALNUT APPLE CHUTNEY
ROASTED POTATO & VEGGIE HASH WITH OPEN-FACED EGGS

LUNCH
OCTOBER 7

COLD COPPER RIVER SALMON NOODLE BOWLS

DINNER
OCTOBER 7

SMOKED SALMON NAAN WITH CREAMY DILL ‘SMEAR
HANGING TOMAHAWK STEAKS WITH COWBOY BUTTER
SMOKED PASTA WITH SAGE GARLIC BUTTER & BACON DRIPPINGS
GRILLED ELOTE
DUTCH OVEN BERRY BACON GRANOLA CRUMBLE
SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
TOMAHAWKS WITH WHISTLE PIG
WHISKEY ON THE ROCKS

It's not @[icon] going to educate an entire country about the joy and manner of american BBQ, but it's going to be a damn fine time

So I'm flying to Vegas tomorrow and then driving to Bryce Canyon Utah on Friday morning where we will commence the first annual Social Feasts event. This is an event where I take a bunch of social influencers out to a scenic location, and we cook, drink, revel, mingle and generally have a good time and them share all that with the masses via social media, all the while promoting a few products so that we can get brands to pay for it all. We will be grilling/campfire cooking for four days. Here's the menu:

#SOCIALFEASTS
ARRIVAL DINNER
OCTOBER 4

SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
PEAR THYME SANGRIA
CINNAMON APPLE SANGRIA
UPSIDE DOWN PORK NACHOS
CABOT CHEESE BOARD
CHARCUTERIE WITH SMOKED
HOMEMADE JAMS & CHUTNEYS
SPICED NUTS
ZA’ATAR GARBANZO BEANS

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 5

PORK & FARM ON A STICK
ROASTED HATCH CHILE

LUNCH
OCTOBER 5

GET OUT AND EXPLORE THE
BEAUTY OF BRYCE CANYON.
THOSE AT CAMP.
BURGER BAR

DINNER
OCTOBER 5

APPALACHIAN PINTO BEANS
DUTCH OVEN CORN PUDDING
PHOENIX FLATBREAD
SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
SMOKED WHISTLE PIG
OLD FASHION

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 6

BEEF MARROW BONES
CRINKLY COCONUT SCONES

LUNCH
OCTOBER 6

TRI-TIP TACOS
PORK VERDE TACOS
HORSE OR ON FOOT.

DINNER
OCTOBER 6

SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
SMOKED GRAPEFRUIT PALOMA
SQUATCH SALMON
DUTCH OVEN BREAD
S’MORES CROQUEMBOUCHE

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 7

BONE-IN PORK CHOPS

LUNCH
OCTOBER 7

DINNER
OCTOBER 7

GRILLED ELOTE
SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
WHISKEY ON THE ROCKS

It's not @[icon] going to educate an entire country about the joy and manner of american BBQ, but it's going to be a damn fine time
Pick me up some free kitchen knives! 

Enjoy!!! Sounds Amazing!!

TheFanatic said:

#SOCIALFEASTS
ARRIVAL DINNER
OCTOBER 4
I'm on Facebook. Can I go? 

Looks great!!!

I want to smoke some thick cut pork chops tomorrow 

any tips on heat, internal temp and ballpark time?
Reverse sear just like a steak. Smoke them to about 120 then sear. Total time is highly dependent on heat of the grill and size of the chops. Cook to temp, not time. 

TheFanatic said:

#SOCIALFEASTS
ARRIVAL DINNER
OCTOBER 4

SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
PEAR THYME SANGRIA
CINNAMON APPLE SANGRIA
UPSIDE DOWN PORK NACHOS
CABOT CHEESE BOARD
CHARCUTERIE WITH SMOKED
HOMEMADE JAMS & CHUTNEYS
SPICED NUTS
ZA’ATAR GARBANZO BEANS

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 5

PORK & FARM ON A STICK
ROASTED HATCH CHILE

LUNCH
OCTOBER 5

GET OUT AND EXPLORE THE
BEAUTY OF BRYCE CANYON.
THOSE AT CAMP.
BURGER BAR

DINNER
OCTOBER 5

APPALACHIAN PINTO BEANS
DUTCH OVEN CORN PUDDING
PHOENIX FLATBREAD
SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
SMOKED WHISTLE PIG
OLD FASHION

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 6

BEEF MARROW BONES
CRINKLY COCONUT SCONES

LUNCH
OCTOBER 6

TRI-TIP TACOS
PORK VERDE TACOS
HORSE OR ON FOOT.

DINNER
OCTOBER 6

SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
SMOKED GRAPEFRUIT PALOMA
SQUATCH SALMON
DUTCH OVEN BREAD
S’MORES CROQUEMBOUCHE

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 7

BONE-IN PORK CHOPS

LUNCH
OCTOBER 7

DINNER
OCTOBER 7

GRILLED ELOTE
SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
WHISKEY ON THE ROCKS

Walk me through Pork and Farm on a stick. Sounds interesting. 

Looking good.  How do you like the bull?  i was looking at that one ended up going with the Mak.
I haven't had it long but my initial impressions are overall very positive.  This is also my first experience with pellets. Really nice so far today not being tied to tending a stick burner. 

I haven't had it long but my initial impressions are overall very positive.  This is also my first experience with pellets. Really nice so far today not being tied to tending a stick burner. 
Tell me about it.  So much easier to hit a button and get to temp.  

Well, call me a convert.  No discernable difference in flavor from oak sticks to the pellets. But actual wood smoke flavor, not like cooking over charcoal and adding wood chips or chunks.  Better consistency in the pork ribs...probably from the rock solid temp control. The beef ribs were as good if not better than the best I've had.  Spectacular bark. I'm sure the wagyu played a role here.  But this smoker is way less work while turning out equal or better product. I worked today, went out to watch the Astros game, went fishing, had a couple drinks with family, and then we ate.  If I had cooked this on the stick burner that's pretty much all I could have done. There are times when tending a fire with a beer is great, and I'll keep the Lang for when I have a hankering to do that but I know I'll do it a lot less now and I'll smoke way more.

Let's Eat!

I put 2 8-pound butts on last night around 11. Woke up at 3 and added more water to pan. Woke up again at 7 to add a few more coals. Foiled and in the cooler now. 

About to make some mustard sauce. I plan to pull them around 2 and eat around 230 for a solid base before Gator game.

Anyone have a good recipe for chicken drumsticks/wings on the grill?  Something keto friendly (no sugar etc.)

I have some super healthy spicy buffalo sauce that I love.  Just never cooked chicken on the grill like this, want it to get charred/crispy on the outside and then maybe cover it in this buffalo sauce.

Any pointers welcomed.  TIA

Anyone have a good recipe for chicken drumsticks/wings on the grill?  Something keto friendly (no sugar etc.)

I have some super healthy spicy buffalo sauce that I love.  Just never cooked chicken on the grill like this, want it to get charred/crispy on the outside and then maybe cover it in this buffalo sauce.

Hit them with some lemon pepper seasoning and either indirect cook them at around 350 for an hour. Then either crisp them at the end over direct heat or throw them in an air fryer for 8 minutes or so. Don't need any sauce with added sugar. 

Anyone ever come across a suggestion of steaming for 10 minutes before cook to render fat? I don't have much experience with wings as I mostly smoke thighs and quarters at medium temps. I'm 1 for 2 on results from steaming.

I scoffed when I was told to do this, then I tried it anyway.

I put 8 drums in a pot of water that is seasoned pretty heavy with tony chacheres and McCormick’s lemon herb . 

Bring slowly to barely a simmer then poach them for 45 mins or so

Carefully remove to a platter and got my gas grill pretty hot. Oil the grates and crisp the skin with the lid open for 5 - 10 mins

This was the juiciest most tender chicken I’ve ever made , and I will probably only ever grill it this way again

🤷‍♂️

Keep it simple.  Dry brine with some kosher salt a couple hours before cooking.  Just salt them about the same as you would if seasoning them to eat and then let them sit in fridge. Grill over medium high heat turning occasionally until they crisp and char to your liking. Coat in sauce and enjoy.  Any complex marinades won't do much and may interfere with the flavor of your sauce.  Chicken wings are very fatty and are almost impossible to overcook.

Users who are viewing this thread