What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Hit them with some lemon pepper seasoning and either indirect cook them at around 350 for an hour. Then either crisp them at the end over direct heat or throw them in an air fryer for 8 minutes or so. Don't need any sauce with added sugar. 
Pretend Otis is a novice griller who just this season started to figure out how to make some edible stuff out there.  When you say indirect cook, do you mean in an oven in the house first?  I heard Mrs. O mention that once.  Or I suppose I could put them on the upper rack in the grill where they won't get direct flame?  OR turn on just half the burners and leave them on the "cold side" of the grill?

Keep it simple.  Dry brine with some kosher salt a couple hours before cooking.  Just salt them about the same as you would if seasoning them to eat and then let them sit in fridge. Grill over medium high heat turning occasionally until they crisp and char to your liking. Coat in sauce and enjoy.  Any complex marinades won't do much and may interfere with the flavor of your sauce.  Chicken wings are very fatty and are almost impossible to overcook.
Thanks, this is helpful.

I scoffed when I was told to do this, then I tried it anyway.

I put 8 drums in a pot of water that is seasoned pretty heavy with tony chacheres and McCormick’s lemon herb . 

Bring slowly to barely a simmer then poach them for 45 mins or so

Carefully remove to a platter and got my gas grill pretty hot. Oil the grates and crisp the skin with the lid open for 5 - 10 mins

This was the juiciest most tender chicken I’ve ever made , and I will probably only ever grill it this way again

🤷‍♂️
Sounds interesting.  I'm also a simplicity guy (ok lazy).  Like, if I can find a way to do this without tons of prep work or different cooking steps, that would be pretty ideal.

Or I suppose I could put them on the upper rack in the grill where they won't get direct flame?  OR turn on just half the burners and leave them on the "cold side" of the grill
You got it. Turn on half the burners and have two cooking zones. Direct heat and indirect heat. Place the chicken on the side that is cut off. You can finish them on the direct heat side at the end. 

You got it. Turn on half the burners and have two cooking zones. Direct heat and indirect heat. Place the chicken on the side that is cut off. You can finish them on the direct heat side at the end. 
Awesome, thanks. Will try this. 

Any trick to getting them nice and charred on the outside?  Or just the skin and fat will naturally take care of that once I put them in the direct heat?

Awesome, thanks. Will try this. 

Any trick to getting them nice and charred on the outside?  Or just the skin and fat will naturally take care of that once I put them in the direct heat?
You want the temperature pretty high. At least 350 degrees. A couple of minutes on each side should do it but stay close and don't burn them. I hope they turn out awesome. 

I'm also doing wings today for the first time in forever. Planning to smoke for around an hour at 350. I'll crank up heat if they are not getting crispy at the end. Planning to coat at the end with mix of sweet BBQ and gochujang sauce. 

Sounds interesting.  I'm also a simplicity guy (ok lazy).  Like, if I can find a way to do this without tons of prep work or different cooking steps, that would be pretty ideal.
There’s no prep lol. This is about as hands off as it gets

Thanks for the pointers boys. Chicken came out great.  The one issue I had was that the drumsticks were huge ones, not like bar wings, and so in order to cook those well I ended up nuking the wings a little. But the drumsticks came out perfect, juicy with just the right amount of char on the outside. Guests all loved it, even Mrs. O who gets skeeved out by chicken on the bone ate a bunch. Good stuff. 

Thanks for the pointers boys. Chicken came out great.  The one issue I had was that the drumsticks were huge ones, not like bar wings, and so in order to cook those well I ended up nuking the wings a little. But the drumsticks came out perfect, juicy with just the right amount of char on the outside. Guests all loved it, even Mrs. O who gets skeeved out by chicken on the bone ate a bunch. Good stuff. 
😭

What is everyone's go to recipe for smoking a shoulder? 

Wife wants me to smoke a shoulder for a party we are hosting to watch the fights on November 2nd. I've used the same recipe for the past 3 or 4 shoulders but I want to try something new.

Well, call me a convert.  No discernable difference in flavor from oak sticks to the pellets. But actual wood smoke flavor, not like cooking over charcoal and adding wood chips or chunks.  Better consistency in the pork ribs...probably from the rock solid temp control. The beef ribs were as good if not better than the best I've had.  Spectacular bark. I'm sure the wagyu played a role here.  But this smoker is way less work while turning out equal or better product. I worked today, went out to watch the Astros game, went fishing, had a couple drinks with family, and then we ate.  If I had cooked this on the stick burner that's pretty much all I could have done. There are times when tending a fire with a beer is great, and I'll keep the Lang for when I have a hankering to do that but I know I'll do it a lot less now and I'll smoke way more.

Let's Eat!
Welcome to the dark side. Now we need to talk about the brilliance of baby back ribs 😉

So I'm flying to Vegas tomorrow and then driving to Bryce Canyon Utah on Friday morning where we will commence the first annual Social Feasts event. This is an event where I take a bunch of social influencers out to a scenic location, and we cook, drink, revel, mingle and generally have a good time and them share all that with the masses via social media, all the while promoting a few products so that we can get brands to pay for it all. We will be grilling/campfire cooking for four days. Here's the menu:

#SOCIALFEASTS
ARRIVAL DINNER
OCTOBER 4

SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
PEAR THYME SANGRIA
CINNAMON APPLE SANGRIA
UPSIDE DOWN PORK NACHOS
CABOT CHEESE BOARD
CHARCUTERIE WITH SMOKED
PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND SALMON
HOMEMADE JAMS & CHUTNEYS
SPICED NUTS
ZA’ATAR GARBANZO BEANS

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 5

RACK OF LAMB WITH WITH ANCHO HONEY SAUCE - My recipe
PORK & FARM ON A STICK
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE & VEGGIES
ROASTED HATCH CHILE
CHEDDAR BISCUITS WITH MARMALADE HONEY BUTTER
HONEYED FRUIT SALAD AND SMOKED MEATS & CHEESES

LUNCH
OCTOBER 5

GET OUT AND EXPLORE THE
BEAUTY OF BRYCE CANYON.
BURGERS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR
THOSE AT CAMP.
BURGER BAR
TOP IT THE WAY YOU LIKE IT

DINNER
OCTOBER 5

ASADO WHOLE HOG WITH SOUTH CAROLINA MOP
APPALACHIAN PINTO BEANS
DUTCH OVEN CORN PUDDING
CUCUMBER CELERY OLIVE ODYSSEY SALAD
PHOENIX FLATBREAD
GRILLED CHOCOLATE CARAMEL TOFFEE COOKIES
SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
SMOKED WHISTLE PIG
OLD FASHION

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 6

BEEF MARROW BONES
CRINKLY COCONUT SCONES
JAPANESE FLUFFY PANCAKES WITH STRAWBERRY SRIRACHA SYRUP
WHOLE HOG HASH WITH BELLY, CRACKLIN & LOIN

LUNCH
OCTOBER 6

TRI-TIP TACOS
PORK VERDE TACOS
KICK BACK WITH TACOS AT CAMP
OR FIND A NEW ADVENTURE BY JEEP,
HORSE OR ON FOOT.

DINNER
OCTOBER 6

SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
SMOKED GRAPEFRUIT PALOMA
COPPER RIVER CEDAR-PLANKED SALMON
SQUATCH SALMON
BLOW TORCH PORK RIBS - My recipe
EGGPLANT WITH BUTTERMILK SAUCE
DUTCH OVEN BREAD
S’MORES CROQUEMBOUCHE

BREAKFAST
OCTOBER 7

BONE-IN PORK CHOPS
DECADENT FRENCH TOAST WITH HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY JAM & MAPLE WALNUT APPLE CHUTNEY
ROASTED POTATO & VEGGIE HASH WITH OPEN-FACED EGGS

LUNCH
OCTOBER 7

COLD COPPER RIVER SALMON NOODLE BOWLS

DINNER
OCTOBER 7

SMOKED SALMON NAAN WITH CREAMY DILL ‘SMEAR
HANGING TOMAHAWK STEAKS WITH COWBOY BUTTER
SMOKED PASTA WITH SAGE GARLIC BUTTER & BACON DRIPPINGS
GRILLED ELOTE
DUTCH OVEN BERRY BACON GRANOLA CRUMBLE
SPECIALTY COCKTAIL
TOMAHAWKS WITH WHISTLE PIG
WHISKEY ON THE ROCKS

It's not @[icon] going to educate an entire country about the joy and manner of american BBQ, but it's going to be a damn fine time
so this happened and it went better than I could possibly expect. First, before I went to the campsite in Bryce, I stopped in at the Barrett Jackson car auction at Mandalay Bay and got right down next to the stage. That's a half check on the bucket list as I did not drive a restomod up to Bryce from Vegas.

Now that I got that out of the way, we made it to the site and it was such a glorious weekend. Sure, it was in the 20's every morning and we had to cook breakfast outside. Sure, the cabins were ovens with heaters that had two setting thermostats (off and wicked hawt). Sure, I was on my feet for so many hours cooking and filming that my feet and back ached every night. But....

...We had two film crews there. We came through on the promised reach for all of my clients by today and we all have gobs more great content so we are going to overproduce like bosses. Our biggest client was asking if she could write me another check this year so I've got a monster check coming before the end of the year for next year (keep in mind this money goes pretty much entirely into the event and I get paid just like the influencers I hire for the event so this doesn't go into my pocket but is reinvested in the business to make it bigger and badder). There was a tiny bit of drama, but then it was over and everyone had a fantastic time. A sponsor came on board 2 days out (whistle pig whiskey) took this event from barely profitable to everyone having a nice chunk of change on top of an all expenses paid trip. It's well below most of the attendees going rates, but it made this event that much more successful. And on top of that, some amazing whiskey for everyone and a brand that is also already talking about 2020 too. 

If you want to see all the amazing stuff we cooked mainly over campfires, and I'm talking stuff worthy of a 5 star restaurant, go to Instagram and search on the hashtag #SocialFeasts. 

Wife picked up a big load of apples from a local orchard (Fuji). Any suggestions for the smoker?  

Last edited by a moderator:
SofaKings said:
Recommendations for BBQ in Birmingham Alabama?
https://www.sawsbbq.com/

We stop every time we go through Bama! My son is getting married to a Bama girl next summer and we will be catering the rehearsal dinner with SAWS! 

I wish I saw this earlier, I hope you can try them. Several locations I believe. 

What is everyone's go to recipe for smoking a shoulder? 

Wife wants me to smoke a shoulder for a party we are hosting to watch the fights on November 2nd. I've used the same recipe for the past 3 or 4 shoulders but I want to try something new.
Kalua Pig.

I'll post a recipe later. Heading out for a run here in a minute.

Basically Hawaiian pulled pork. You serve it with rice. Effing awesome. And a crowd pleaser too. Feeds a ton of people. 

Wait, what? Never saw this. Looks amazing... recipe/directions?
Dry brined the thighs with garlic salt for 2 hours. Cooked up stuffing in pan- spinach, onion, green pepper,  sweet pepper, bread crumbs, white wine. 

Applied Simon Garfunkel rub to chicken. 

Spread out slice bacon. Put chicken pretty side down on bacon. Add slice Gouda cheese. Add filling. Close it up and wrap bacon. Use a cocktail stick to secure everything. 

Smoked until 165 to 170 at 275. Roughly 1.5 to 2 hours.

ETA - Publix had a sale on boneless skinless thighs so the chicken was basically ready to go out of the package.

Think I've mentioned this before in here, but I'm done smoking whole butts. A few years ago I started cutting them into 2"-3" chunks and smoking them in a foil pan and I never looked back. Cooks in a fraction of the time and tons more bark / flavor. A win-win as far as Im concerned. I dont even use a thermometer anymore. Just start checking after 3 hours or so and pull once meat starts falling apart.

I smoked one this way on Friday and ate it all weekend. Seasoned liberally with S&P. Took about 3.5 hours.

Had tacos Fri night (pork, sauteed onions still crunchy, cilantro, lime, salsa verde)

Baked potato bar Sat (butter, sour cream, cheese, scallions, balsamic roasted brocolli, pulled pork)

Cuban sandwich on Sun (pork, homemade spicy garlic pickles, baby swiss, whole grain dijon)

PS - I'd probably leave them whole if I was smoking 400lbs   ;)

Think I've mentioned this before in here, but I'm done smoking whole butts. A few years ago I started cutting them into 2"-3" chunks and smoking them in a foil pan and I never looked back. Cooks in a fraction of the time and tons more bark / flavor. A win-win as far as Im concerned. I dont even use a thermometer anymore. Just start checking after 3 hours or so and pull once meat starts falling apart.

Cuban sandwich on Sun (pork, homemade spicy garlic pickles, baby swiss, whole grain dijon)

Interesting - I like the idea of more bark. IDK if I'd go down to 2-3" chunks, but like Joe said, more surface area sounds like a good thing.

Also, :homerdrool: for that Cubano

I smoked one this way on Friday and ate it all weekend. Seasoned liberally with S&P. Took about 3.5 hours.

Had tacos Fri night (pork, sauteed onions still crunchy, cilantro, lime, salsa verde)

Baked potato bar Sat (butter, sour cream, cheese, scallions, balsamic roasted brocolli, pulled pork)

Nice! I will give this a shot next Saturday. What temperature are you cooking these, 225°?

Before you look into franchising this idea, I'd look into trade marking ButtNuggets first.

:lmao:  Thanks @E-Z Glider  I've wondered about this. Never so much cutting them in that small chunks but in butterflying and cutting in half to get more surface area. Thanks for sharing.

Is the main thing just more bark?
More bark, more smoke flavor (more reddish smoke ring meat), and cooks in a fraction of the time. Its a win-win-win as far as Im concerned. 

Nice! I will give this a shot next Saturday. What temperature are you cooking these, 225°?
275 on the Weber kettle lid thermometer

Users who are viewing this thread