What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I know I'm a little late here for this, but I found an epic deal last Monday morning. So my Sam's is now selling Prime grade steaks individually. But really only on the weekends. On Monday morning, they mark those steaks down. I bought 5 last Monday and they had maybe 15 left. Got two rib eyes and 3 strips, all with excellent marbling. Took them home and vac sealed them. Ate two of them on Saturday. Well, I ate one and my 3 boys split the other one. 
How much of a markdown are we talking? I may have to jump on this. :thumbup:  

I'm a bit confused by this claim as MIM doesn't have a side dish category... not since I've been competing (about 15 years). Technically that (or any bean-based) dish wouldn't qualify for any category they have as far as I understand them. 

Ancillary categories are Beef, Seafood, Poultry, Exotic, Wings, and Sauces. The ancillary category must feature the meat predominantly..... beans wouldn't qualify unless it was like 60%+ meat :lol:
Might've been the Jack or the Royal. :bag:

The guy has one all three of the events outright. 

Hell yeah. Nice! :thumbup:  Thanks for the heads-up! 
They weren't monster steaks, but they were thick enough. My dad said something about his Sam's moving to 2 in a pack. Still cheap IMO. His Sam's had the prime grade steaks before mine did. I don't know what took mine so long. I have a Costco pretty close that has had prime grade beef for years. I joined Costco and go there more often because of that fact. 

Might've been the Jack or the Royal. :bag:

The guy has one all three of the events outright. 
Oh I have no doubts the guy is a badass, I was just confused by it. There may have been a side dish category in the years before I was on board, too. Who knows. Either way the recipe is ####### legit :lol:

They weren't monster steaks, but they were thick enough. My dad said something about his Sam's moving to 2 in a pack. Still cheap IMO. His Sam's had the prime grade steaks before mine did. I don't know what took mine so long. I have a Costco pretty close that has had prime grade beef for years. I joined Costco and go there more often because of that fact. 
Yep... local costco has prime too. Love them for it. Some of the guys in back are super cool and will cut or set aside stuff for me on request. Factor that service with their prices ($3.99 for prime brisket!) and their tendency to cut steaks correctly (thick).... I LOVE me some Costco. :wub:  

Oh I have no doubts the guy is a badass, I was just confused by it. There may have been a side dish category in the years before I was on board, too. Who knows. Either way the recipe is ####### legit :lol:
I'd be willing to bet it was before. I don't think he competes much and I doubt he has competed in at least 10 years, maybe even longer. 

Yep... local costco has prime too. Love them for it. Some of the guys in back are super cool and will cut or set aside stuff for me on request. Factor that service with their prices ($3.99 for prime brisket!) and their tendency to cut steaks correctly (thick).... I LOVE me some Costco. :wub:  
So very much this. My dad used to be in the grocery business. He and his partners were the first franchisees that put meat departments in Sav-A-Lot stores. After that, the corporate office paid them to put them in a bunch of corporate stores. He chats with those guys like he's back at work and they eat it up. He's got them doing that stuff for him and I have him grab me whatever I need. Being that my dad is my production assistant for sponsored content, it works out very well. And $4 for prime brisket! What the WHAT! 

I'm a bit confused by this claim as MIM doesn't have a side dish category... not since I've been competing (about 15 years). Technically that (or any bean-based) dish wouldn't qualify for any category they have as far as I understand them. 

Ancillary categories are Beef, Seafood, Poultry, Exotic, Wings, and Sauces. The ancillary category must feature the meat predominantly..... beans wouldn't qualify unless it was like 60%+ meat :lol:
I was thinking the same thing....it is the internet though so it must be true...looks like we need to step up our side dish game next year :lol:

Have some chicken marinating for Iranian style kebabs tomorrow -- yogurt, onion, saffron, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gonna baste with saffron lemon butter while cooking and serve in pitas with more yogurt and lettuce, scallions etc. Smelled good as #### as I was putting the marinade together. Big fan of yogurt marinades after making tandoori chicken for years.
This was outrageously good. Highly recommend. Marinade was 1 1/2 c whole milk Greek yogurt, 1/2 c lemon juice, big whole onion minced in the food processor, big pinch of saffron crushed and bloomed in teh lemon juice, s & p for 8 big chicken breasts cut into inch and a half cubes. Basted with another big pinch of saffron and a tbsp of lemon juice in 3 tbsp melted butter while grilling over screaming high heat. Have enough chicken left for another dinner too.

Have some chicken marinating for Iranian style kebabs tomorrow -- yogurt, onion, saffron, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gonna baste with saffron lemon butter while cooking and serve in pitas with more yogurt and lettuce, scallions etc. Smelled good as #### as I was putting the marinade together. Big fan of yogurt marinades after making tandoori chicken for years.
I recently joined the fan club myself.  Found a marinade with smoked paprika (don't recall what else ATM) and it was fantastic.

So I bought a couple Florentine stuffed flank steaks from the grocery store. Basically beef flank steak, with spinach and mozz pinwheel.

I was just going to put them on high heat for  a couple minutes, then move to indirect until proper temp.

Only other times I did flank steak was for fajitas and there was a lot of marinade. Any suggestions for prep? Drizzle with EVOO/italian herbs a couple hours beforehand? I don't want to drown the spinach/cheese.

So I bought a couple Florentine stuffed flank steaks from the grocery store. Basically beef flank steak, with spinach and mozz pinwheel.

I was just going to put them on high heat for  a couple minutes, then move to indirect until proper temp.

Only other times I did flank steak was for fajitas and there was a lot of marinade. Any suggestions for prep? Drizzle with EVOO/italian herbs a couple hours beforehand? I don't want to drown the spinach/cheese.
I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to cooking steak, for the most part. You have to twist my arm to get anything other than kosher salt and cracked black pepper on there before I throw it on the grill. Big fan of chimichurri and sauces in that style with steak, and of melting a pat of compound butter over the top when they come off, but that stuff is for after cooking. Typically I want the beef flavor to be the star. I'd just roll with those as is, personally.

I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to cooking steak, for the most part. You have to twist my arm to get anything other than kosher salt and cracked black pepper on there before I throw it on the grill. Big fan of chimichurri and sauces in that style with steak, and of melting a pat of compound butter over the top when they come off, but that stuff is for after cooking. Typically I want the beef flavor to be the star. I'd just roll with those as is, personally.
Listen to this guy. He knows things!

Thinking of beans myself under a pork shoulder. When do you add the beans? How long under the meat should they cook? 
Took off the day to watch the eclipse and decide to make the most of it by smoking a pork shoulder. For the last 2-3 hours of the cook I placed the beans on the bottom rack. It was a few can of Bush's baked beans with chopped red peppers, onions, some brown sugar, cider vinegar and thick strips of bacon on top.

Fantastic!  :thumbup:

Took off the day to watch the eclipse and decide to make the most of it by smoking a pork shoulder. For the last 2-3 hours of the cook I placed the beans on the bottom rack. It was a few can of Bush's baked beans with chopped red peppers, onions, some brown sugar, cider vinegar and thick strips of bacon on top.

Fantastic!  :thumbup:
Smoky pork drippings for the win!

This is me for the most part, but I do add garlic powder/salt depending on the cut

Coeur de Lion said:
This was outrageously good. Highly recommend. Marinade was 1 1/2 c whole milk Greek yogurt, 1/2 c lemon juice, big whole onion minced in the food processor, big pinch of saffron crushed and bloomed in teh lemon juice, s & p for 8 big chicken breasts cut into inch and a half cubes. Basted with another big pinch of saffron and a tbsp of lemon juice in 3 tbsp melted butter while grilling over screaming high heat. Have enough chicken left for another dinner too.
This sounds delicious and I will have to try it. I did a yogurt marinade last week that came out really good as well - yogurt, garlic paste (we had a bunch left over from a local mediterranean restaurant), lemon juice and some s&p.  Came out really tasty. 

I can't say I've ever done a yogurt marinade. I need to change that. Does any yogurt work? Walk me through this, please
also, is saffron insanely expensive?  I know the girlfriends mom "imports" it from Iran so she uses it liberally.  However, here in the US, it is hard to come by. 

I can't say I've ever done a yogurt marinade. I need to change that. Does any yogurt work? Walk me through this, please
Plain yogurt -- make sure it's not vanilla, and not sweetened. It's closer to sour cream than to the yogurt that you'd eat for breakfast, but thicker and creamier. I usually use whole milk Greek yogurt. Moistens and the enzymes tenderize the meat; that's the theory anyway. Very common in the Middle East through India -- search for recipes from that general area. Fantastic on chicken, adds a great tanginess to the finished product.

Last edited by a moderator:
also, is saffron insanely expensive?  I know the girlfriends mom "imports" it from Iran so she uses it liberally.  However, here in the US, it is hard to come by. 
By weight, yeah, but a little goes a long way. I get the 1 gram jar of threads at Costco, it's maybe $10 (not exactly sure, but it's in that neighborhood), and that lasts for maybe 3 to 4 uses, so nothing too outrageous.

I'm headed to Austin in a few weeks. Where's the best BBQ? I've heard Franklin isn't worth the wait.
Franklin's is spectacular -- I don't know if it's "worth the wait" considering that there are a ton of other damn good places in Austin that I didn't get to try since I was only there for four days, but Franklin's is pretty easily the best brisket that I've ever eaten.

Doesn't the mozzarella just "melt" (or whatever) out the sides?

When I make stuff like this I usually try to tie or toothpick the ends and seams shut and sear, then finish over indirect and don't slice the roll until right before serving. Works really well with butterflied and pounded pork loin or tenderloin, or chicken breasts. I've also done it with a big boneless turkey breast (stuffed with sausage / cornbread dressing then glazed with cranberry-ish BBQ sauce) which was freaking awesome. It tends to be more prep work than I usually want to do, but fine for once in a while or special occasions -- or just buy pre-made if you have a solid local butcher...

The pinwheels were tied and I added the long toothpicks.   If you sear them first, the cheese kind of gels. Some is lost but there's plenty left.

I just added Montreal seasoning before like i would most steak. I was worried about it being chewy but the cut  is thin enough that it wasn't a problem. Would do again.

Looking for opinions on rib racks - if I don't need them for space reasons (I can probably fit 8-12 racks flat in my vertical), is there any benefit?

Looking for opinions on rib racks - if I don't need them for space reasons (I can probably fit 8-12 racks flat in my vertical), is there any benefit?
Not if you dont plan to cook more than that at one time.  My WSM cant fit 3 laying flat so i need a rib rack. 

Not if you dont plan to cook more than that at one time.  My WSM cant fit 3 laying flat so i need a rib rack. 
I've got a vertical offset with 5 racks.  I can get a bunch on there.  I'm figuring 4 tiers of ribs and a pan of beans under it all to catch the glory.

heckmanm said:
The problem with rib racks is most of the time the ribs are so close together that there is not enough air circulation around them and the rub gets mealy where it's too close to another rack. You almost have to do a rack every other slot, which sort of defeats the purpose. To counter this, if I have a loaded rack I will have to rotate the racks around which adds a lot of maintenance to the cook. If you have the room, don't mess with the rib racks. 

Gonna do a pork loin roast on Saturday that I butterflied, smeared with garlic rosemary paste, and tied back up. Then chicken on Sunday marinated in a Caribbean seasoning paste made by spinning scallions, shallots, thyme, celery, jalapenos (no Scoth Bonnets d/t wife and kids lol), lime, dark rum and a bunch of other stuff up in the food processor. Raichlin's Barbeque Bible FTW.

The problem with rib racks is most of the time the ribs are so close together that there is not enough air circulation around them and the rub gets mealy where it's too close to another rack. You almost have to do a rack every other slot, which sort of defeats the purpose. To counter this, if I have a loaded rack I will have to rotate the racks around which adds a lot of maintenance to the cook. If you have the room, don't mess with the rib racks
Yeah, the more I research it seems this is the consensus.  Thanks.

heckmanm said:
If your top grate is like mine, there are handles on each end that raise above the grate.  I bought a second grate and just stack one on top of the other.  Initially, I thought it was going to cause the ones on bottom to be mushy but they never have been.  That would easily get you six racks of ribs.  I don't see why you couldn't put a third to have eight.  I've never done that many before.

If your top grate is like mine, there are handles on each end that raise above the grate.  I bought a second grate and just stack one on top of the other.  Initially, I thought it was going to cause the ones on bottom to be mushy but they never have been.  That would easily get you six racks of ribs.  I don't see why you couldn't put a third to have eight.  I've never done that many before.
As I noted above, I have a big vertical offset with 5 separate racks above the water pan.  Unless I'm feeding an army, space isn't an issue. 

RedmondLonghorn said:
The Safeway in Lockhart probably has better BBQ than the Salt Lick.

And I definitely think Rudy's (a Texas BBQ chain) is better than the Salt Lick.
This is spot on.  Your best Franklin options are Louie Mueller in Taylor, John Mueller Meat Co in Austin, and La Barbecue in Austin.  Oddly enough, all owned by a member of the Mueller family.  IMO, Louie Mueller in Taylor is the best.  On their best days they are the equivalent of Franklin but they aren't quite as consistent.  But with the shorter line, they are for sure my go to place.  Been going there a little over 20 years. I believe they are the only one to be in the top 5 of the Texas Monthly top 50 BBQ joints since the inception of the list.

Considering trying the pork belly burnt ends, despite all the fat. issue here is that you can only get pork belly sliced in 1/3 inch thick slices, so not exactly cube material.

If I were to smoke the slices, how would that change things up?

Considering trying the pork belly burnt ends, despite all the fat. issue here is that you can only get pork belly sliced in 1/3 inch thick slices, so not exactly cube material.

If I were to smoke the slices, how would that change things up?
Have you checked Sam's and Costco lately. Both are carrying belly. 

Have you checked Sam's and Costco lately. Both are carrying belly. 
Or even just ask the meat guy at your local supermarket if you don't have Sam's / Costco / a good local butcher. The big markets almost certainly get everything in primal or sub-primal cuts and butcher / package based on what sells locally. In my experience they're usually happy to cut something specific to order if you're willing to wait a few minutes and are nice about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread