What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

As usual, @Megla knows stuff. Still hoping to get him and @TheFanatic down for MIM one year.  

Memphis In May BBQfest dates announced: May 16-19th, 2018 BTW. 
I don't get a ton of vacation at the day gig. But hopefully in the next 2-3 years, I won't need the day gig and I'm there. Either that, or I need to get some brand to really want some MiM social exposure and pay for me to go in which case, I'll burn the vacation. 

My Loki finally arrived! (www.lokiproducts.com)  So far it seems to do exactly what I wanted it to do, operate as a pit and meat thermometer that connects to my wifi and allows me to setup alerts for the pit and the meat and check temps from anywhere. Sweeeeeet! The limited range and only two probes on my Thermopro had driven me crazy for years but the only options were bluetooth based so this Wifi option has me really stoked.

Just put a pork belly in some brine to try it out this weekend.

My Loki finally arrived! (www.lokiproducts.com)  So far it seems to do exactly what I wanted it to do, operate as a pit and meat thermometer that connects to my wifi and allows me to setup alerts for the pit and the meat and check temps from anywhere. Sweeeeeet! The limited range and only two probes on my Thermopro had driven me crazy for years but the only options were bluetooth based so this Wifi option has me really stoked.

Just put a pork belly in some brine to try it out this weekend.
Not seeing a price or how to order. What kind of $ are we talking?

Speaking of probe thermometers. I just ran the Meater through it's paces on Monday. VERY cool little device. 
Very nice but Wifi >>>>> Bluetooth on this front unless you live in a shoebox or wanna stand next to the smoker all day (which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but flexibility to run next door for a beer is nice). If they added wifi that might be the perfect therm set. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice but Wifi >>>>> Bluetooth on this front unless you live in a shoebox or wanna stand next to the smoker all day (which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but flexibility to run next door for a beer is nice). If they added wifi that might be the perfect therm set. 

There is a work around for this. I have an old iphone 4. I can connect that to the meater, leave it next to the cooker and then connect my phone to the old iphone and then we're wifi enabled as it communicates via the app to my phone anywhere in the world. Yeah, I know :nerd:

There is a work around for this. I have an old iphone 4. I can connect that to the meater, leave it next to the cooker and then connect my phone to the old iphone and then we're wifi enabled as it communicates via the app to my phone anywhere in the world. Yeah, I know :nerd:
:lol:  awesome. You remind me of me getting all excited when I got my stoker system for my WSM years ago.

Was at a bar downtown drinking with a group of freinds at 1am. Got a "who's watching the shoulders for tomorrow's cookout" comment? 

"I am"  (open up phone and show twitter account where smoker is live tweeting pit and probe temps every 5 mins) 

The girls' reactions were "WTF... why is your smoker tweeting?"
The guys' reactions were: "DUDE! That's awesome!"

:lmao:

:lol:  awesome. You remind me of me getting all excited when I got my stoker system for my WSM years ago.

Was at a bar downtown drinking with a group of freinds at 1am. Got a "who's watching the shoulders for tomorrow's cookout" comment? 

"I am"  (open up phone and show twitter account where smoker is live tweeting pit and probe temps every 5 mins) 

The girls' reactions were "WTF... why is your smoker tweeting?"
The guys' reactions were: "DUDE! That's awesome!"

:lmao:
I seem to remember that now. 

The really cool thing about the Meater is that it gives me the temp in the meat, the temp in the cooker and after a little while tells me how long it will take to get the food to the target temp. So in the case of the shoulder I did, I couldn't remember how many pounds it was. I put it on the cooker about 11 at 275. The meater said it would be done about 6:30. Well, I wanted to eat around 6ish. Upped the temp on the Traeger to 325 and it hit the target temp at 5, which gave me an hour of rest time. I also had some ribs, that I knew would take just about 2 hours at 325. So with an hour left to go on the shoulder (according to the meater), I put the ribs on. Everything came out at the exact time I wanted them to. That's pretty badass. 

I seem to remember that now. 

The really cool thing about the Meater is that it gives me the temp in the meat, the temp in the cooker and after a little while tells me how long it will take to get the food to the target temp. So in the case of the shoulder I did, I couldn't remember how many pounds it was. I put it on the cooker about 11 at 275. The meater said it would be done about 6:30. Well, I wanted to eat around 6ish. Upped the temp on the Traeger to 325 and it hit the target temp at 5, which gave me an hour of rest time. I also had some ribs, that I knew would take just about 2 hours at 325. So with an hour left to go on the shoulder (according to the meater), I put the ribs on. Everything came out at the exact time I wanted them to. That's pretty badass. 
That is a really damn cool feature. I wonder how accurate it is with projecting through the stall and whatnot. 

I know they want feedback from you as an influencer. Tell them to make the damn thing wifi enabled and I'll buy one tomorrow. Should be easy to make the base module in the bock wifi capable. 

That is a really damn cool feature. I wonder how accurate it is with projecting through the stall and whatnot. 

I know they want feedback from you as an influencer. Tell them to make the damn thing wifi enabled and I'll buy one tomorrow. Should be easy to make the base module in the bock wifi capable. 
Couldn't agree more.  Can't figure out why they're all stuck on Bluetooth.  I think it must be power consumption related. So far the only one I've found that communicates via wifi is the Loki. Fireboard is awesome with the local display and Alexa skill, and that Meater looks cool with the wireless probes and their app looks pretty good. But no Wifi kills the deal for me.  Igrill had/has the same problem.

I love this(Meater).  I use a rotisserie a lot and a wired thermometer is a pain.   

I'm not an influencer for them yet. This is just me playing with it. I don't promote anything I wouldn't use. Gotta run it through its paces before I agree to be an influencer for them. 

I will say this about predicting the stall and all, it was pretty damn accurate on the timing. It might've been a little early. I feel like it took maybe 10 minutes more than it had predicted, but I opened the lid a few times to take pics for an Instagram Story for Traeger and to put three slabs of ribs in which took 2 openings as one slab was considerably smaller so I put the small slab on about 20 minutes after the first two slabs. My thinking is that if I hadn't opened the lid at least 5 times, it would've been spot on. That impresses me. And like I said, it saved me in terms of timing. Had I just guessed at it, the pork shoulder would've been smack dab in the middle of the stall with hungry guests checking their watches and cell phones every few minutes. That's the WORST!

The Meater block has wifi per the shopping page.

Speaking of probe thermometers. I just ran the Meater through it's paces on Monday. VERY cool little device. 
They FINALLY have those things out?  I've been watching that thing for the better part of three years and it seems like it's taking them forever to get to market.  I keep waiting to see them on Shark Tank.

It seems that this Loki probe is very similar to the meater one.  Are there significant differences?  Did Loki get to market before meater and "scoop" them?

The Commish said:
They FINALLY have those things out?  I've been watching that thing for the better part of three years and it seems like it's taking them forever to get to market.  I keep waiting to see them on Shark Tank.
Same here. They reached out to me last year to do some promotion for Christmas and I was giddy because my business starts to fall off as the temps drop. Then they had some production issues and had to stop entirely and go back to the drawing board to get things right, which I appreciate. More companies should do that. 

So basically they are sending product to the people that donated to the kickstarter, and to potential influencers like myself. I believe they will be on sale next month. 

It seems that this Loki probe is very similar to the meater one.  Are there significant differences?  Did Loki get to market before meater and "scoop" them?
I've never heard of the Loki probe. Gonna have to check them out. 

OK, I see them. They both seem to have a nifty app, but the biggest difference is the Meater is completely wireless. Very important if doing something on a rotisserie. 

I've never heard of the Loki probe. Gonna have to check them out. 

OK, I see them. They both seem to have a nifty app, but the biggest difference is the Meater is completely wireless. Very important if doing something on a rotisserie. 
I'm a moron....missed that part.  I thought the ball was not direct connect to the probe itself.  I'm waiting patiently for the meater to come to market.

That's pretty cool. As other have commented I wish it were WiFi vs Bluetooth.

As far as I can tell the differences between the Meeater and Meather Block are 1) increase # of probes from one to four and 2) Increase range "well beyond 10 meters" (would be nice to know exactly how much).

That's pretty cool. As other have commented I wish it were WiFi vs Bluetooth.

As far as I can tell the differences between the Meeater and Meather Block are 1) increase # of probes from one to four and 2) Increase range "well beyond 10 meters" (would be nice to know exactly how much).
I think the Block is wifi so that means it would be anywhere on the planet with an internet connection

I think the Block is wifi so that means it would be anywhere on the planet with an internet connection
Yeah, you're correct.

Would love to have the WiFi block but at $199 that's too much for me. The single is still better that the Maverick Et-732 I currently use. It's wireless, one probe keep temp for both the meat and the grill and only about $10 more.

Yeah, you're correct.

Would love to have the WiFi block but at $199 that's too much for me. The single is still better that the Maverick Et-732 I currently use. It's wireless, one probe keep temp for both the meat and the grill and only about $10 more.
I know they are planning on expanding the product line. What they plan to expand to, I don't know. Maybe a 2 probe block at a midpoint of maybe $129 or something. 

If it's in good shape but just dirty, yeah. Clean it up good and maybe put some new burners in there and you probably have a nice grill that will serve you well for years. Should be easy to get Weber parts if you need any. 

FWIW, the equivalent grill is around $1100 new I think.
Now, will I be able to disassemble this thing and get it in my jeep Cherokee???

[icon] said:
Dates are definite per MIM. Rooms are nuts right now... may want to book something cancellable and wait for a drop 
I booked rooms at the Sheraton (Westin is showing sold out) - Will be watching for rooms at the Westin.  They are 275 per night right now...what gives, they are usually $150 or so????  

I booked rooms at the Sheraton (Westin is showing sold out) - Will be watching for rooms at the Westin.  They are 275 per night right now...what gives, they are usually $150 or so????  
Not sure... we don't usually book until october or november so my guess is this is TOO early. But better safe than sorry. 

Now, will I be able to disassemble this thing and get it in my jeep Cherokee???
I think so. Like TheFanatic said...if you can get the side shelves off, you should be able to lay 'er flat. I'd put a tarp down on the floor of the Jeep and wrap the grill in cling wrap (as much as you can) to keep the lid closed and mess under control. If needed, you should be able to get the actual grilling compartment off the legs/cabinet. If you gotta go that route, should be able to find a manual and/or video online with the assembly instructions. That should help ID where the screws/bolts are. I wouldn't think you'd have to take too much of it apart, though. 

Thinking on this some more, I am not sure you can take the side shelves off. At least, not all the way. Its upside down L-shaped metal tubing that forms the 4 corners of the cabinet and the shelves. I think you can shed some width if you take the actual plastic shelf cover off, but not sure how much. Guess I'd say measure the grill and your jeep and see how close you are before you start taking anything apart. Depending on how far you gotta go with it, might be easier to rent a truck or trailer than fight with getting in your Jeep and risk getting grease in there.

Good luck  :thumbup:

Nothing super fancy today, just burgers -- but did swing through the good local butcher that grinds everything to order so I went with 60% lean sirloin, 30% short rib, and 10% pork fatback, aiming at 80 / 20 overall. And have some fresh pretzel rolls and some Fair Oaks Farms smoked habanero Gouda to melt over the top. Also gonna throw some corn on the cob on the grill while the burgers are resting, and have cilantro-garlic-lime zest compound  butter ready to go for those.

Thinking of beans myself under a pork shoulder. When do you add the beans? How long under the meat should they cook? 
I usually go 2-3 hours with canned beans, longer with dried / presoaked. I just check the texture  every time I open the smoker to add wood to make sure that they're not getting too mushy. 

Thinking of beans myself under a pork shoulder. When do you add the beans? How long under the meat should they cook? 
My ribs take 5 hours. I put the beans in right at the beginning. I start with the basic Bush beans from Costco, and add:

sweet onion

green pepper

gates bbq sauce

mustard

brown sugar

rib rub

anything else i have laying around

The beans have never disappointed. As a matter of fact, tonights may have been the best ever. I put the beans the farthest away from the fire as possible.

The beans were so crisp still, probably because I do not stir them the whole time. They lay under a layer of the pork drippings, and I am really only cooking them at 237 degrees. They are more "heating up" then cooking. And grabbing the smoke and pork drippings the whole time.

So fooking good.

Have some chicken marinating for Iranian style kebabs tomorrow -- yogurt, onion, saffron, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gonna baste with saffron lemon butter while cooking and serve in pitas with more yogurt and lettuce, scallions etc. Smelled good as #### as I was putting the marinade together. Big fan of yogurt marinades after making tandoori chicken for years.

I know I'm a little late here for this, but I found an epic deal last Monday morning. So my Sam's is now selling Prime grade steaks individually. But really only on the weekends. On Monday morning, they mark those steaks down. I bought 5 last Monday and they had maybe 15 left. Got two rib eyes and 3 strips, all with excellent marbling. Took them home and vac sealed them. Ate two of them on Saturday. Well, I ate one and my 3 boys split the other one. 

Fanyasy draft coming up this weekend.  The host is providing the main dishes off his smoker, so I thought my contribution might be a couple fatties as appetizers with varying fillings in each.

I was also considering making some baked beans as noted, maybe following along Icon's recipe a couple of pages back....

Here are the questions:  can the beans be made under these fatties as they smoke for 2-3 hours, or will he pork sausage drippings make them too fatty (no pun intended)?   Or should I just set them to the opposite side and allow them to absorb the smoke?

TIA!

I know I'm a little late here for this, but I found an epic deal last Monday morning. So my Sam's is now selling Prime grade steaks individually. But really only on the weekends. On Monday morning, they mark those steaks down. I bought 5 last Monday and they had maybe 15 left. Got two rib eyes and 3 strips, all with excellent marbling. Took them home and vac sealed them. Ate two of them on Saturday. Well, I ate one and my 3 boys split the other one. 
i am contemplating buying the vac seal system.  Do you refrigerate them or freeze?  quality after you thaw if the latter? 

Fanyasy draft coming up this weekend.  The host is providing the main dishes off his smoker, so I thought my contribution might be a couple fatties as appetizers with varying fillings in each.

I was also considering making some baked beans as noted, maybe following along Icon's recipe a couple of pages back....

Here are the questions:  can the beans be made under these fatties as they smoke for 2-3 hours, or will he pork sausage drippings make them too fatty (no pun intended)?   Or should I just set them to the opposite side and allow them to absorb the smoke?

TIA!
Hell yes, harvest that fat in the beans. I used to put a one inch square of bacon every inch or so on the top of my beans. Get that extra fat. 

Oh, got another bean recipe for you. Got this recipe from Joe Davidson who owns Oklahoma Joes which is now KC Joes and started the Oklahoma Joe's grill line before selling it to Char-Broil. VERY cool dude. This bean recipe (or a slight variation of it) has one Memphis in May side dish three times.

i am contemplating buying the vac seal system.  Do you refrigerate them or freeze?  quality after you thaw if the latter? 
I went kicking and screaming on buying one of these. Didn't want one. Just use ziplocks. Night and day difference. SOOOOO much better. So much less freezer burn. Quality is excellent. I love mine. 

I'm a bit confused by this claim as MIM doesn't have a side dish category... not since I've been competing (about 15 years). Technically that (or any bean-based) dish wouldn't qualify for any category they have as far as I understand them. 

Ancillary categories are Beef, Seafood, Poultry, Exotic, Wings, and Sauces. The ancillary category must feature the meat predominantly..... beans wouldn't qualify unless it was like 60%+ meat :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread