What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** Prospects and Mid-Season Callup Thread (1 Viewer)

Cuban righthander Raisel Iglesias has signed a seven-year major league contract with the Reds, the team announced Friday. The deal is for $27 million, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.

At 5-foot-11, 165 pounds, Iglesias was primarily used as a reliever while pitching for Isla De La Juventud and the Cuban national team. Several scouts project Iglesias as a bullpen arm, but the Reds plan to begin his development in the minors as a starter and believe he can reach the big leagues in that role.
He's very unlikely to be with the big club this season but at age 24 (or older), the Reds will probably be aggressive with his development.
He took Roger Bernadina's spot on the 40. I'd say there's probably a solid chance he's a September callup as a reliever.
Maybe so but there are a lot of question marks surrounding his readiness. Visa status, conditioning, adjustment to this country, level of his initial MiLB assignment.

The only reason he's on the 40 man already is because a major league deal doesn't count against the team's international signing pool.

Cuban righthander Raisel Iglesias has signed a seven-year major league contract with the Reds, the team announced Friday. The deal is for $27 million, according to MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.

At 5-foot-11, 165 pounds, Iglesias was primarily used as a reliever while pitching for Isla De La Juventud and the Cuban national team. Several scouts project Iglesias as a bullpen arm, but the Reds plan to begin his development in the minors as a starter and believe he can reach the big leagues in that role.
He's very unlikely to be with the big club this season but at age 24 (or older), the Reds will probably be aggressive with his development.
He took Roger Bernadina's spot on the 40. I'd say there's probably a solid chance he's a September callup as a reliever.
Maybe so but there are a lot of question marks surrounding his readiness. Visa status, conditioning, adjustment to this country, level of his initial MiLB assignment.

The only reason he's on the 40 man already is because a major league deal doesn't count against the team's international signing pool.
The biggest thing is definitely his Visa. I'd assume if they can get him there in July, then there's a chance he's a Sept. call up. August or later, then he probably gets sent to fall ball.

Arismendy Alcantara with a nice start.
I added him, but basically shut down following non-Arrieta/closer Cubs after Bonifacio got hurt.

What's the story here? Starting in CF unless a MI needs a day off? Weekly points league, so if he's sitting 2 or 3 days/week that's no good.

Arismendy Alcantara with a nice start.
I added him, but basically shut down following non-Arrieta/closer Cubs after Bonifacio got hurt.What's the story here? Starting in CF unless a MI needs a day off? Weekly points league, so if he's sitting 2 or 3 days/week that's no good.
He's a real prospect so I would have to think he either plays everyday somewhere in MLB or gets sent back down.

A's call up Billy Burns from AA. He has oodles of speed but noodles for power. I don't know how much he'll play or how much he'll get on base but it'll be fun to watch him once he does.

A's call up Billy Burns from AA. He has oodles of speed but noodles for power. I don't know how much he'll play or how much he'll get on base but it'll be fun to watch him once he does.
I'm guessing only/mostly against lefties. Vogt's probably a better option against right-handers.

I'm guessing only/mostly against lefties. Vogt's probably a better option against right-handers.
He's an intriging playoffs roster piece if he can somehow manage to hold his own with the bat
Scores from 2nd on sacrifice fly.

was about to thank you for the tip, but I gotta be in the only league in which he is already rostered.Friggin rebuilding team rostering more prospects than he can keep.

Sorry, venting.

I'll still thank you anyway.

A few extra sb may be the difference between a title or not.

Digging through the scrap heap, hunting pecking and praying.

Not really looking for impact this year (actually I probably don't want that), but how do you rank these arms? Is there any major separation here or risks? A little opinion/fact added...

Noah Syndergaard - likely late season call up, but hopefully would not burn through 50 innings (my league limit to keep as a minor/major)

Mark Appel - #1 pick struggling, latest update noted he's working thru mechanical changes, and well the Astros

Jameson Taillon - TJ surg, so risky, but obviously was highly touted

Eddie Butler - I don't know much about him besides he'll pitch in Coors and he throws hard

Not really looking for impact this year (actually I probably don't want that), but how do you rank these arms? Is there any major separation here or risks? A little opinion/fact added...

Noah Syndergaard - likely late season call up, but hopefully would not burn through 50 innings (my league limit to keep as a minor/major)

Mark Appel - #1 pick struggling, latest update noted he's working thru mechanical changes, and well the Astros

Eddie Butler - I don't know much about him besides he'll pitch in Coors and he throws hard
Big difference between Appel and the rest, and not a good difference. He's been pretty terrible all year at high A and a lot of scouts are now saying the Astros made a huge mistake drafting him #1. Of the ones you listed, Syndergaard seems the safest, Butler might be a bit underrated because of Coors. Keep in mind that he'll get to pitch in three of the most pitcher-friendly parks in SF, LA, and SD. Colorado screws up their pitchers more than the stadium does according to some, but they've been bringing Butler and Gray along pretty deliberately.

Alex Meyer might be a good get for a call up in 2014, and he will provide Ks for those in need even if his WHIP will likely be sketchy.

Big difference between Appel and the rest, and not a good difference. He's been pretty terrible all year at high A and a lot of scouts are now saying the Astros made a huge mistake drafting him #1. Of the ones you listed, Syndergaard seems the safest, Butler might be a bit underrated because of Coors. Keep in mind that he'll get to pitch in three of the most pitcher-friendly parks in SF, LA, and SD. Colorado screws up their pitchers more than the stadium does according to some, but they've been bringing Butler and Gray along pretty deliberately.

Alex Meyer might be a good get for a call up in 2014, and he will provide Ks for those in need even if his WHIP will likely be sketchy.
Thanks...interesting on Appel. I just read he had his first QS lol.

As far as Meyer goes, I'm looking at these four as trade filler where I know I can get a solid prospect back. He also has Sano but I'm not sure I can pull that off in the trade.

Big difference between Appel and the rest, and not a good difference. He's been pretty terrible all year at high A and a lot of scouts are now saying the Astros made a huge mistake drafting him #1. Of the ones you listed, Syndergaard seems the safest, Butler might be a bit underrated because of Coors. Keep in mind that he'll get to pitch in three of the most pitcher-friendly parks in SF, LA, and SD. Colorado screws up their pitchers more than the stadium does according to some, but they've been bringing Butler and Gray along pretty deliberately. Alex Meyer might be a good get for a call up in 2014, and he will provide Ks for those in need even if his WHIP will likely be sketchy.
Thanks...interesting on Appel. I just read he had his first QS lol. As far as Meyer goes, I'm looking at these four as trade filler where I know I can get a solid prospect back. He also has Sano but I'm not sure I can pull that off in the trade.
QS can be a deceiving stat in the low minors because SPs are generally on pretty low pitch counts.

Big difference between Appel and the rest, and not a good difference. He's been pretty terrible all year at high A and a lot of scouts are now saying the Astros made a huge mistake drafting him #1. Of the ones you listed, Syndergaard seems the safest, Butler might be a bit underrated because of Coors. Keep in mind that he'll get to pitch in three of the most pitcher-friendly parks in SF, LA, and SD. Colorado screws up their pitchers more than the stadium does according to some, but they've been bringing Butler and Gray along pretty deliberately. Alex Meyer might be a good get for a call up in 2014, and he will provide Ks for those in need even if his WHIP will likely be sketchy.
Thanks...interesting on Appel. I just read he had his first QS lol. As far as Meyer goes, I'm looking at these four as trade filler where I know I can get a solid prospect back. He also has Sano but I'm not sure I can pull that off in the trade.
QS can be a deceiving stat in the low minors because SPs are generally on pretty low pitch counts.
Appel has completely been terrible, QS or no QS.

One thing in his defense is that the Astros will not let him throw the slider as a strikeout pitch. If he can progress at AA and get more guys out with the fastball and change with two strikes, it could benefit him. I understand the risk aversion with not letting him overuse the slider, but this is the Astros. They aren't known for being very smart with this kind of player.

Ok, fair enough. Are you advocating Appel being next to Synder in this example or just letting me know I'm a dolt?

Ok, fair enough. Are you advocating Appel being next to Synder in this example or just letting me know I'm a dolt?
No, Doctor Detroit is the dolt.

I wouldn't write Appel off on the basis of less than 50 IP in the Cal League. Young pitchers sometimes take non-linear routes to the majors. If you're in a league where you can sit on MiLB prospects for 2-3 years, you need patience (or else stick to stockpiling bats).

I wouldn't write Appel off on the basis of less than 50 IP in the Cal League. Young pitchers sometimes take non-linear routes to the majors. If you're in a league where you can sit on MiLB prospects for 2-3 years, you need patience (or else stick to stockpiling bats).
Appel needed a change of scenery. Let's see what he does in Corpus. Kid was lights out in college, and while that doesn't mean squat compared to pro ball, it suggests that there is some talent there. Maybe with a new PC he'll figure it out.

Lots of interest in Syndergaard around the league. The Mets will likely trade him for bat. Hope so anyway. I hate to see him ever pitch for the Mets ML team.

I wouldn't write him off either. He got hit pretty hard but his K/BB was actually solid. A 9.74 ERA is never all bad luck but there was certainly some involved.

That said, top college prospects are usually supposed to blaze through the lower levels. In a long-term league I would rather have a 19-year-old struggling with High A than a 23-year-old.

Thanks?

Post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-post-hype sleeper Andy Marte called up to take Prado's spot in AZ.

Grabbed Lindor in a deep league. Possibility he gets called up this year. Intriguing keeper option for next as well.

Any of these guys stand out from the others? Looking to acquire 1 via trade.

Hunter Renfroe

AJ Cole

Matt Olson (I have Moya, not sure I want 2 of this type if they are as similar as I think)

Steve Piscotty

Nick Kingham

Michael Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon Cumpton is seeing Dr James Andrews soon. If the news is bad, that might speed Kingham along.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Span out, hope you pulled the trigger on Taylor.
I never really had the chance.

Turns out I'm trading Cespedes (who I'm not keeping) for a 5th round pick plus Piscotty and Cole (or should I go Kingham...I'm not really interested in 2015 returns as far as Cole/Kingham go, I just want the most upside and Cole has the better arsenal from what I can tell).

He won't trade me Taylor, Olson or Renfroe...so I gotta get something and this is my best deal (my other offer is DJ Peterson, a 7th and a 10th....the 5th above trumps 7/10 I think and the prospects are not far apart).

Who are you targeting from the '14 draft regardless of their '15 impact potential? Top prospects that could leap quickly into top 20 territory. Rodon is obviously a target even in redrafts this year.

Am I missing any defectors besides Moncada, Castillo, Tomas, and Olivera? I don't think Yadier Alvarez has signed yet so he's ineligible in my leagues.

Who are you targeting from the '14 draft regardless of their '15 impact potential? Top prospects that could leap quickly into top 20 territory. Rodon is obviously a target even in redrafts this year.

Am I missing any defectors besides Moncada, Castillo, Tomas, and Olivera? I don't think Yadier Alvarez has signed yet so he's ineligible in my leagues.
Brandon Finnegan and Aaron Nola are probably the closest to the majors but neither seems like top 20 material. College talent seems like it's been down the past couple of years (except for Bryant). Kyle Schwarber and Michael Conforto are the college bats who had some success after signing their contracts. Hopefully the Trea Turner PTBNL debacle won't set him back.

Projecting HS picks after 150 professional ABs is a guessing game but I've seen some glowing reports on Mariners OF Alex Jackson.

Haven't done any follow up on these guys since my developmental draft in November, but this was my list then

Schwarber

---

Forrest Wall

Alex Jackson

Michael Conforto

---

Jacob Gatewood

Michael Gettys

---

Trea Turner

Nick Gordon

Derek Hill

---

Ti'Quan Forbes

Brad Zimmer

Alex Verdugo

Jaxson Reetz

JD Davis

Brian Anderson

The last tier is in no particular order.

Kris Bryant... and then...

Who are the impact callups?

Francisco Lindor - SS clev

Syndergard - SP - mets

Do we see Joey Gallo this year?

I'm back in on Jesus Montero. He's off to a hot start in AAA and Logan Morrison is not.

He's still a long shot and could end up on the short side of a platoon but power is always the hardest attribute to find on the waiver wire.

Users who are viewing this thread