What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., BAL (4 Viewers)

Buck Bradcanon said:
StL not the best matchup in the world next week. I realize I am splitting hairs but really wish he was playing an NFC east foe for the SB.
Be sure to look at the WR numbers against STL DEF. It was the ARI, WAS and OAK passing games they've shut down in the last 3 weeks. And even then, Garcon had 9/95/0 and Fitz had 7 catches (for 30 yards, but hey....).

Prior to that (I'm only going back to week 6, because it's more of the same), it's a lot of PPR points to the #1 WR, and it's not exactly a murderer's row of offenses:

Leading receivers vs. STL DEF:

Week 6 : SF: Crabtree 3/49/1; Lloyd 1/80/1; Boldin 7/94/1Week 7 : SEA: Baldwin 7/123/1Week 8 : KC: Bowe 6/64/0Week 9 : SF: Boldin 6/93/1Week 10: ARI: Fitz 9/112/0, JoBrown 5/73/1Week 11: DEN: Demarius 7/103/0; E.Sanders 5/102/1Week 12: SD: Keenan Allen 6/104/1Week 13: OAK: James Jones 6/33/0Week 14: WAS: Garcon 9/95/0Week 15: ARI: Fitz 7/30/0
does this really matter? Nobodys benching him. Why waste a second even worrying about it?

Buck Bradcanon said:
StL not the best matchup in the world next week. I realize I am splitting hairs but really wish he was playing an NFC east foe for the SB.
As The Rock would say, "It doesn't matter who's matching up with ODB" !!!

Buck Bradcanon said:
Be sure to look at the WR numbers against STL DEF. It was the ARI, WAS and OAK passing games they've shut down in the last 3 weeks. And even then, Garcon had 9/95/0 and Fitz had 7 catches (for 30 yards, but hey....).

Prior to that (I'm only going back to week 6, because it's more of the same), it's a lot of PPR points to the #1 WR, and it's not exactly a murderer's row of offenses:

Leading receivers vs. STL DEF:

Week 6 : SF: Crabtree 3/49/1; Lloyd 1/80/1; Boldin 7/94/1Week 7 : SEA: Baldwin 7/123/1Week 8 : KC: Bowe 6/64/0Week 9 : SF: Boldin 6/93/1Week 10: ARI: Fitz 9/112/0, JoBrown 5/73/1Week 11: DEN: Demarius 7/103/0; E.Sanders 5/102/1Week 12: SD: Keenan Allen 6/104/1Week 13: OAK: James Jones 6/33/0Week 14: WAS: Garcon 9/95/0Week 15: ARI: Fitz 7/30/0
does this really matter? Nobodys benching him. Why waste a second even worrying about it?
This is a good post. They could be playing the 85 Bears or the Ravens that won the Super Bowl with Dilfer. He is auto start and a top 10 receiver off the board next year.

Peyton Manning stinks it up almost every week now and nobody says "bench him" but ODB is a top-5 performer every week and people worry about matchups?

Peyton Manning stinks it up almost every week now and nobody says "bench him" but ODB is a top-5 performer every week and people worry about matchups?
I agree it's silly, but one of those guys has been producing for 15 years and the other about 2 months.

I might be crazy...but Odell Beckham might be one of the top 5 Wrs in the league. He looks practically unguardable.
Most of the time, Eli is doing a great job hitting him at the right time. The other times, it's a little nerving and I wonder what happens against a top DB like Haden. Beckham has fantastic fight to the ball and beats lesser CBs, but the better ones we'll have to see. Eli is a QB whose confidence can be shaken and their other WRs don't look so good.

He certainly plays like a veteran and is the best route runner in a long long time. I am not an Eli fan but I gotta give him credit, he's gotten it to him at the perfect time soooo many times it sure does look unstoppable.

Some of today's NFL QBs seem to know nothing about timing and wait a good second before throwing to an open WR. These guys would get Beckham smacked by big hits.
In fairness here... maybe Eli took too much of the blame for piss poor pass catchers. Reuben Randle doesn't impress me; Larry Donnell is his TE; the ghost of Hakeem Nicks was his other WR (who hasn't done a whole lot with one of the best QBs in the game)... not to mention running for his life like crazy behind the swiss cheese offensive line.

Perhaps Eli wasn't the problem?

The Giants seem to purposely go away from him like well we can't throw to him every down and then there's drives where I swear Eli only looks his way.

I think you guys gotta remember Cruz and that Randle is a good 3rd WR that usually has a more favorable matchup. To me, Randle looks the same limited self playing more often now, but next year he goes back to being "extra" or somesuch and he's pretty good in that role.

I think Cruz has more breakaway ability and in oh so many other categories Beckham has him beat. Still, the Gmen like that little pass to Cruz where he can catch it on the move and take off. It's such an easy routine play for them, they won't disregard it with Beckham there.

I don't know what his limit is, but ya gotta give this guy some ceiling
Mentioned before, but torn patella is about as bad as it gets for a football player's knee... that one's not quite been solved yet. Ruined a lot of careers - some before they even got started. Cadillac Williams and Ryan Williams come to mind.

In a 1 player keeper situation, is ODB worth considering in PPR over Demarco?

At this point, there is a lot TDB in murray's situation for next year. How many touches does he finish the year? Does Dallas give him long term contract, or does he play on 1 yr franchise deal? Do the ADP rumors to big D have any merit, cause that's a deal killer for sure.

Food for thought anyway.

At this point, there is a lot TDB in murray's situation for next year. How many touches does he finish the year? Does Dallas give him long term contract, or does he play on 1 yr franchise deal? Do the ADP rumors to big D have any merit, cause that's a deal killer for sure.

Food for thought anyway.
I may be insane but I think I would prefer OBJ in a keeper league.

Food for thought anyway.
If Murray is in Dallas next year, you have to keep him. He'll be a top 3 pick in redraft.

2 of my 3 leagues are keepers and I wish I had ODB in both. I have him in 1 and I can't think of another player on my roster I would even think about keeping over him at a 10th rounder. I was a little disheartened since you can only keep one player and some people had McCoy (6th) and Charles (4th), but now, I am giddy as a school girl with him as my keeper.

Food for thought anyway.
I may be insane but I think I would prefer OBJ in a keeper league.
A young stud WR over an RB with a ton of miles this season? No question.

Food for thought anyway.
If Murray is in Dallas next year, you have to keep him. He'll be a top 3 pick in redraft.
The stats of players the year after a season of so many caries is not very promising. To me he would be a bit of a coin toss dependent on your expectations.

If you are expecting 1800 yard floor rushing next year, you will likely be disappointed. If you are happy with 1300-1500 then that is reasonable optimism.

It's difficult to reconcile Beckham's fast start with doing what we usually do with players who "get hot". Learning to sell high and buy low is a difficult part of fantasy football.

But i really think you also have to recognize when you might just have a once-a-decade type of talent, and that's what I see with Beckham.

The only thing Beckham doesn't have is the 6'4 frame, but he more than makes up for it with a really high vertical and amazing hands. The height doesn't look like it will ever be a problem.

I think he's a Randy Moss/Jerry Rice/Calvin Johnson type of talent. In fact, you could make the argument that in dynasty leagues, he should be the number 1 WR taken next year.

The only WR's that would give me pause are:

Calvin

Julio

Dez

That's it. Calvin is out for me, because I think he's getting too many miles. Julio can't seem to make it through a season healthy, and has a habit of never avoiding contact, which invites injuries.

That being said, I'm probably taking Beckham over them all. Seriously. He has all the tools, and on the field...he's been absolutely unstoppable, regardless of who he is facing.

It's difficult to reconcile Beckham's fast start with doing what we usually do with players who "get hot". Learning to sell high and buy low is a difficult part of fantasy football.

But i really think you also have to recognize when you might just have a once-a-decade type of talent, and that's what I see with Beckham.

The only thing Beckham doesn't have is the 6'4 frame, but he more than makes up for it with a really high vertical and amazing hands. The height doesn't look like it will ever be a problem.

I think he's a Randy Moss/Jerry Rice/Calvin Johnson type of talent. In fact, you could make the argument that in dynasty leagues, he should be the number 1 WR taken next year.

The only WR's that would give me pause are:

Calvin

Julio

Dez

That's it. Calvin is out for me, because I think he's getting too many miles. Julio can't seem to make it through a season healthy, and has a habit of never avoiding contact, which invites injuries.

That being said, I'm probably taking Beckham over them all. Seriously. He has all the tools, and on the field...he's been absolutely unstoppable, regardless of who he is facing.
his route running...it's unbelievable. if you want to see how a 5'11" wr makes noise in the nfl, look no further

His initial burst off the line is ridiculous. DB's can't even get a hand on him. Next time I hear about a receiver who has Olympic track bloodlines, I'm drafting. You can't teach this...

Got him off the WW in both my leagues and now heading to the finals in both. Hands down a top 10 draft pick next year.

Can you imagine if you worked in management for the Bills?

Trading away 3 #1 Draft Picks to move up a few spots to grab Watkins, instead of having to settle for Mike Evans or god forbid, Odell Beckham.

Irony in my league is if things go as I think they will (tonight's game can change things if Brees and Bennett go off), in our Super Boel I'll be playing the owner who drafted Beckham, then cut him a week or two before he was active for his first game. Yours truly was the one who scooped him up and is now the hottest team in the league at the right time.

while he has been great the 2nd half of the year, let's not crown him the best career already. OK? I remember people going nuts over hakeem nicks as well, and how did that end up?

Got him off the WW in both my leagues and now heading to the finals in both. Hands down a top 10 draft pick next year.
I did this in three re-draft leagues. I owe it to this board for spotlighting and someone had some great local insight at least 10 days to two weeks before he was activated. Great stuff.

while he has been great the 2nd half of the year, let's not crown him the best career already. OK? I remember people going nuts over hakeem nicks as well, and how did that end up?
You are correct in that it's WAY too early, but Nicks, good as he was, never showed this next level superior athleticism as OB. In addition, he was not ever a burner speed wise and when he got hurt lost any edge and became pedestrian of not slightly below avg overall

You are correct in that it's WAY too early, but Nicks, good as he was, never showed this next level superior athleticism as OB. In addition, he was not ever a burner speed wise and when he got hurt lost any edge and became pedestrian of not slightly below avg overall
This, plus the injuries really took a toll on Nicks. You can't predict injuries, Green, Dez, Julio or any other top receiver could have a massive injury this coming week and never be the same again

Agree here.

Agree here.
Absolutely agree and I owned Nicks as a rookie and enjoyed his early success. A lot of his success was TD based and being able to be the goal line type of WR like DT/Calvin/Dez where when you watch you know their QBs will go at them at least once a series at the goal line. The last couple years, he had no separation and he wasn't fast to begin with, so the injuries really made him ineffective. That said, while he scored TDs, I don't think anyone ever thought of his talent as transcendent, otherwise Cruz would have had a tough time breaking through like he did.

Anyone that thinks this kid isn't up there with Green, Julio, Dez and the rest is not watching him play football and is just box score watching. Even if Cruz comes back 100 percent healthy, which I doubt, he will be second fiddle to OBJ, and that is a good thing for both players.
wat?

if you are box score watching then id imagine you would prefer beckham considering he has been outscoring those guys, and everyone else.
I will help you out since you love to try to do this to me and take things out of contextRead the posts, some people were saying his is this years Keenan Allen. Some people said he will take a back seat to Cruz when he comes back. They are saying he is putting up these great numbers because he is the only weapon. I am telling those people to quit box score watching. Watch him play, he is more talented than Allen.
ya, one guy trollishy compared him to allen and another guy pointed out the cruz would take some of his targets. keep fighting the good fight tho.

I might be crazy...but Odell Beckham might be one of the top 5 Wrs in the league. He looks practically unguardable.
Most of the time, Eli is doing a great job hitting him at the right time. The other times, it's a little nerving and I wonder what happens against a top DB like Haden. Beckham has fantastic fight to the ball and beats lesser CBs, but the better ones we'll have to see. Eli is a QB whose confidence can be shaken and their other WRs don't look so good.

He certainly plays like a veteran and is the best route runner in a long long time. I am not an Eli fan but I gotta give him credit, he's gotten it to him at the perfect time soooo many times it sure does look unstoppable.

Some of today's NFL QBs seem to know nothing about timing and wait a good second before throwing to an open WR. These guys would get Beckham smacked by big hits.
In fairness here... maybe Eli took too much of the blame for piss poor pass catchers. Reuben Randle doesn't impress me; Larry Donnell is his TE; the ghost of Hakeem Nicks was his other WR (who hasn't done a whole lot with one of the best QBs in the game)... not to mention running for his life like crazy behind the swiss cheese offensive line.

Perhaps Eli wasn't the problem?
Eli stunk last year and early this year. He is brutally bad when under constant pressure. We know this, can predict this, so the Gmen should have a backup QB each year that they feel confident in. If they get a couple significant OL injuries, it's backup time.

Anyhow, otherwise, Eli is a fine QB. He definitely has some dunderhead throws to him that are hard to shake off, but he's done plenty of things well also. I'm sure people in NY are thankful he's not Romo like in this regard, but really he has a bunch in common with Romo as far as the enormity of the bad throws versus the good they've done. Being a Cowboys QB is one of the highest scrutinized positions in all of sports and playing in NY, Eli knew he was getting into that some too. Eli's been a wonderful pick/trade and paid great dividends.

The Giants are a very interesting team because they were famously bad at drafting WRs for most of their very long existence until the last ten years or so. In fact, most players of the last 10-15 years hold almost all of the Giants receiving records.

Steve Smith and Hakeem Nicks were excellent young WRs. Nicks hasn't looked the same since injury and Smith was shockingly different in Philly. I don't think either really have anything to do with Eli. The attrition is just a sad part of the game.

I've watched a number of Colts games and Nicks doesn't get in much or if he's in, I don't notice til after the fact. He's very much not a focal point there. TY is exceptional and Wayne is a potential HOFer winding his career down. You don't bench either. Their rook seems like a real talent but (which blows my mind because they are NOT) plays inexperienced like and ...I don't know maybe it's rookie comfort. So many of them look inexperienced and I'm like "you ran routes in college didn't ya?" I like both their TEs and...Anywho...I wouldn't put Nicks in over any of them except maybe the rook in certain situations. He's definitely an older banged up sort of different.

Beckham excitement is super high now. It is interesting to keep Smith and Nicks in mind. Even though he's better than they were, they were each very very good. His injury was so constant it was annoying all summer and into the season. I remember thinking it's just too long for a hammy, cmon already. I don't know his injury history from college. It should all be a decent prompt to hang on though before people put him in the HOF.

Michael Clayton's game was destroyed after a wonderful rookie year so obviously he's the best example. There's many rookies that get "found out" when a DC has all offseason to stare n stare at tapes. It's possible Beckham struggles to overcome whatever wrinkle they think up. I'd guess it's more likely he struggles then overcomes whatever it is.

I remember the Giants playing the fastest show on turf so rough that despite a pretty poor secondary, they actually held them to one of their worst games in their prime. Warner and Bruce and Holt and Faulk all overcame that easily.

I think people should just enjoy the show and roll along. Too many variables can change things, enjoy this now

Skoo said:
Can you imagine if you worked in management for the Bills?

Trading away 3 #1 Draft Picks to move up a few spots to grab Watkins, instead of having to settle for Mike Evans or god forbid, Odell Beckham.
I wouldn't care.

It infuriates me how teams spend tons of $ on scouts and personnel folks and tons of time and totally whiff on picks. If a team feels a guy is there guy and they go and get him, I really appreciate that. The Raiders have really pushed the envelope in this regard, but for the most part I like it when a team falls in love with a player like this

The Giants seem to purposely go away from him like well we can't throw to him every down and then there's drives where I swear Eli only looks his way.

I think you guys gotta remember Cruz and that Randle is a good 3rd WR that usually has a more favorable matchup. To me, Randle looks the same limited self playing more often now, but next year he goes back to being "extra" or somesuch and he's pretty good in that role.

I think Cruz has more breakaway ability and in oh so many other categories Beckham has him beat. Still, the Gmen like that little pass to Cruz where he can catch it on the move and take off. It's such an easy routine play for them, they won't disregard it with Beckham there.

I don't know what his limit is, but ya gotta give this guy some ceiling
Mentioned before, but torn patella is about as bad as it gets for a football player's knee... that one's not quite been solved yet. Ruined a lot of careers - some before they even got started. Cadillac Williams and Ryan Williams come to mind.
True, I've heard that as well. If so, the Giants need another WR then. Randle is not a main character, only a good extra. Like I said in the game thread, it must be brutal to be Eli and go from a penalty called back TD to Beckham to 3rd and 13 pass with Ogletree replacing Beckham because he's winded. They gotta get another.

He's really good, but he's not going to average 124 receiving yards per game next season like he has been over the last seven weeks. Like DeMarco Murray, he's having a bit of a magical season and if you chase the points next year in redraft thinking this is going to be his performance every season then you might be a little disappointed. I would pencil him in for 1200-1300 yards next season and be pleasantly surprised by anything beyond that.

I think ODB is great but people are getting a little ahead of themselves in this thread. He will come down to earth. Not saying he won't be worth a second round pick, but a first seems to high. Every defense next season will be keying on him. If he keeps at his current pace for next season then he will be a first rounder.

im still taking demaryius, antonio, green, dez, julio, and jordy over him. mebbe calvin, jeffery, cobb, hilton, maclin.

msudaisy26 said:
Koya said:
This, plus the injuries really took a toll on Nicks. You can't predict injuries, Green, Dez, Julio or any other top receiver could have a massive injury this coming week and never be the same again
When he was injured, he lost a step. Not even a half step. And he was not super fast to begin with - nor tall (very long reach, great hands when he was into it)... so that lost step meant no separation / ability to gain position and he went from really good to pretty bad like that.

While you can't predict injury, some guys have a bit more room to work with, and then it's the luck of the draw with which injury you get (ie Cruz :cry: )

Last edited by a moderator:
I would consider demaryius, Dez and Brown over him. I'm not sure I would take another WR over him in a PPR
Wow, REALLY? I'm a Giants fan. This guy is electrifying...

but no question I'm taking Julio, Nelson, Megatron (this will be a down year, imo. did he become 38 all of a sudden? (hint: no) , Bryant, Green, and probably Hilton over him. Probably Cobb and Jeffrey too, and he is in the mix with about 5 guys at this point - subject to change due to injury / situation obviously.

Wow, WR is ####### DEEP.

1800/16 next year IMO. I'll gladly take him in the first round.
That's exactly how many people thought Cruz would follow up his first year starting. He had 80/1519/9 in 14 games and looked like a future stud.
I don't get the comparison. It seems you are only making it cause both are Giants.

They are nothing alike. Beckham looks like he would be a stud in any system with any QB

im still taking demaryius, antonio, green, dez, julio, and jordy over him. mebbe calvin, jeffery, cobb, hilton, maclin.
I like Cobb but if he leaves GB, and doesn't land in Indy or Seattle, no.

Maclin? another player I've liked since his college days at our then-rival, but no.

The rest, yeah probably in redraft.

Beckham to me, is looking the #1 WR. Definitely ahead of Calvin. Guy gets hurt every year. DeMaryius is closer. Cobb? No way. Maclin? Not even close. Green? Closer. Julio? Closer, but also gets hurt seems like seasonally. Jordy is close. Antonio Brown is about the only one I think I'd really struggle with.

Beckham to me, is looking the #1 WR. Definitely ahead of Calvin. Guy gets hurt every year. DeMaryius is closer. Cobb? No way. Maclin? Not even close. Green? Closer. Julio? Closer, but also gets hurt seems like seasonally. Jordy is close. Antonio Brown is about the only one I think I'd really struggle with.
It's too small a sample size and a big risk to spend a top 5 overall pick on him. Could be disasterous if you are wrong and he is only a top say 10-15 WR next season.

Users who are viewing this thread