What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (9 Viewers)

If I didn't have a family to support I would quit today.  What I had to do this morning, what the system allowed to happen, and the powerlessness to stop it makes me so ****ing angry that I can't justify being a member of it anymore.  

I know we all have those days.  I know I'm venting.  My level of anger right now at the entirety of my professional existence is unmatched from prior times.  

If I didn't have a family to support I would quit today.  What I had to do this morning, what the system allowed to happen, and the powerlessness to stop it makes me so ****ing angry that I can't justify being a member of it anymore.  

I know we all have those days.  I know I'm venting.  My level of anger right now at the entirety of my professional existence is unmatched from prior times.  
A man placing his family before his pride is noble.  Take a minute, look at the family pictures you have in your office.  Take the afternoon and after a good lunch buy something nice for your wife and or kids.  Start fresh tomorrow.

Need some advice from the lawyers

Situation Uncle and Mom owned an apartment in Chicago.   Her name is on the lease but he paid most of the bills.. Uncle passed away back last December and we just finally sold the apartment last Tuesday.   Today we got emails from the lawyers saying that the final water bill is 16k because it has been estimated at 2000 cubic ft fa month for the past 8 years and actual usage was way higher than that when they took the final reading.

My mom already cashed the check, and they say we basically need to pay the 16k as soon as possible because the new owner doesnt have a clear deed.  Also if we dont pay soon new owner could sue.   Would obviously like to fight with water company on this, but because of the sale the new owner is os screwed unless we pay the full amount.  I would think if we pay the full amount we would never win any kind of possible fight we may have with them

Is there any limitations with the how far back the city of chicago can go back and bill for this type of thing?

One other thing to notes is that the quarterly bill for the water was actually made out to some random lady I have no idea who is and must have had some arrangement with my uncle on.

Also we live in Michigan and not in Illinois

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s what we've come up with  on our own:

1. Taxes (water and sewage) assessed on 27 July amount to $2,269.28.  The 2018 ( key number) tax rate is $1.28/ 1000 gallons .  That is a tax on 1,772,875 gallons or 237,015 cubic feet.  

2.  Water bill is at a rate of $29.49 per 1000 cubic feet.  Sewer is the same rate.  Those rates went into effect on June 1 2018.  If you multiply the current water and sewer rate by the 237,000 cubic feet , you get something very close to what we are billed for the metered billing on the statement.

3.  The taxes are new as of 2017 and were only $0.59 per 1000 gallons.  They increased to $1.28/ 1000 gallons in 2018.  Near as I can tell this tax did not exist before 2017.

4.  Water rates have risen dramatically since 2011.  Cost per 1000 cubic feet are as follows:

2011- $15.00

2012-$18.76

2013-$21.56

2014-$24.80

2015-$28.52

2016-$28.52

2017-$29.04

2018-$29.49

5.  City of Chicago.org water web site says that for metered accounts: “periodically, DWM is unable to obtain actual meter readings”.  

Recommend the following:

1.  Figure out where this extra 237,015 cubic feet came from and figure out how far back it goes 

2.  Figure out why “periodically” appears to be years.

3.  Get city of Chicago to refigure bill based on pro-rated rates and taxes over period of “estimated” billing.  For example, if it has been 5 years since a true reading has taken place, then the bill should reflect rates from the past 5 years equally.  

Ditkaless Wonders said:
A man placing his family before his pride is noble.  Take a minute, look at the family pictures you have in your office.  Take the afternoon and after a good lunch buy something nice for your wife and or kids.  Start fresh tomorrow.
Yeah all true.

Took the opposite advice and spent the day at work dealing with cascadingly more and more crazy people to the point that when I got home my wife had to talk me down.  Got through the night and woke up with a migraine that is killing me right now at my desk.

But, I did get to make a New Jersey joke in the classic rock thread.  So maybe things are looking up.

swirvenirvin said:
Need some advice from the lawyers
I'm not purposely ignoring this, but when it comes to property tax and water/sewer taxes and the like, the issues are massively local and state controlled.  I wouldn't have the first idea on how to tackle this outside of my jurisdiction.  But you should absolutely talk to an attorney about the entire picture - a separate one that wasn't involved in the closing.

I'm not purposely ignoring this, but when it comes to property tax and water/sewer taxes and the like, the issues are massively local and state controlled.  I wouldn't have the first idea on how to tackle this outside of my jurisdiction.  But you should absolutely talk to an attorney about the entire picture - a separate one that wasn't involved in the closing.
Thanks I added that we live in Michigan and not in Illinois.  We hired an attorney who helped us evict an non paying tenant that we may reach out to

My friend has some substantial trouble and I am hoping for some advice.  He was caught with 10 grams of pot in Southern Illinois.  He was charged with a felony and in court, the judge refused to provide a court appointed attorney because he thought my friend made too much money--~$40k / year.  He decided to defend himself and was convicted of the felony.  He told me this all after the fact otherwise I'd have helped him.  His situation is even worse because he's a green card holder and his card expires next year.  I think it's very unlikely that his green card will be renewed given the felony conviction.  

What legal options does he have?  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Hi lawyerguys,

My wife is starting new employment and one of the "benefits" offered is optional legal assistance coverage through Hyatt Legal Services.  For ~$16/month, it lists the below with unlimited coverage.  I never even knew this was a thing.

Have any of you ever heard of this or dealt with it or have any opinions one way or the other?  While I don't see us having anything pressing at this time, that seems relatively inexpensive and even one use could pay for itself.  Thoughts?

Coverage for:

Court Appearances
Administrative Hearings
Civil Litigation Defense
Consumer Protection Matters
Incompetency Defense
Juvenile Court Defense
Personal Property Protection
Restoration of Driving Privileges
Traffic Ticket Defense (excludes DUI)
Document Review & Preparation
Affidavits
Deeds
Demand Letters
Elder Law Matters
Mortgages
Promissory Notes
Review of Personal Legal Documents
Small Claims Assistance
Family Matters
Adoption
Domestic Violence Protection
Guardianship (NEW FOR 2018)
Name Change
Prenuptial Agreement
Immigration
Immigration Assistance
Financial Matters
Debt Collection Defense
Foreclosure Defense
Identity Theft Defense
**LifeStages - Identity Management Services
(NEW FOR 2018)
Negotiation with Creditors
Repayment Schedule
Repossession
Personal Bankruptcy
Tax Audits
Wills
Living Wills
Powers of Attorney
Trusts
Wills
Codicils
Real Estate Matters
Boundary or Title Disputes
Eviction and Tenant Problems (for tenants)
Home Equity Loans (primary, secondary or
vacation home) (NEW FOR 2018)
Property Tax Assessment
Sale, Purchase or Refinancing (primary,
secondary or vacation home) (NEW FOR 2018)
Security Deposit Assistance (for tenants)
Zoning Applications

IIRC, you don't get legal services for just your $16/mo, but, the rate you do pay is severely reduced? And flat... Pick any lawyer in the network and it's the same rate? Not sure if that was clear in your explanation. 
Yeah, so looking closer, it seems some basic things are fully covered and others are "phone/office advice" and there are reduced fees for coverage or reimbursement for out-of-network attorneys.

I've looked at some online reviews and there are some bad ones out there.  Will probably pass. 

Hi lawyerguys,

My wife is starting new employment and one of the "benefits" offered is optional legal assistance coverage through Hyatt Legal Services.  For ~$16/month, it lists the below with unlimited coverage.  I never even knew this was a thing.

Have any of you ever heard of this or dealt with it or have any opinions one way or the other?  While I don't see us having anything pressing at this time, that seems relatively inexpensive and even one use could pay for itself.  Thoughts?
This has been around for a while.  There is a big "you get what you pay for" risk with these pre-paid legal services. It might work out for some very generic legal services, but if you have an issue that requires some personal attention to your specific situation - which is most everything - you probably want to pick a lawyer and pay his/her going rate.

Good morning counselors, I'm looking for some advice/direction for a friend.

Its a Worker's Comp claim in Texas.

Mr. X works at Sears. When unloading store stock he got a inguinal hernia lifting a box of weights. He did not know what was happening but felt a "stinging" in his groin. Afterwards, he spoke with the Loss Prevention Manager about the incident. They both laughed and kind of shrugged it off as "old age."

That was a Saturday night and Sunday it got worse as his intestines slid down. He returned to work as scheduled on Tuesday and reported the injury to his manager, Sergio Trevino. He was then sent to a doctor who diagnosed it as an inguinal hernia.He was told he needed surgery, but could return to work on light duty, no lifting.

When he returned to work he found that he was required to still do a lot of lifting and other labor, which was extremely painful. He has not returned to work since (a week) and is constant pain. Sears (his employer) has still not got him a followup with the doctor, nor have they approved the claim. Its seems as if they claim he reported it to wrong manager. We are not sure because they have pretty much discontinued communications. 

Any advice? I know he's not a lawyer but @bentley very familiar with this stuff. I've heard Texas is one of the worst states for WC claims.But he's not looking for a pile of money, he just wants the hernia repaired and repayment of loss wages. Seems to me the case is likely not worth enough to entice a good lawyer. 

You guys ever mock them?  The greatest learning experience I’ve ever had in this profession.  I’ve had multiple cases in which our side lost in the mock but we learned, adjusted, and won with the real jury.  In IP cases usually there’s enough at stake that it’s worth the spend to a client.

Upcoming jury trial will be my first to pick a jury, open and close. Luckily we’ll do a mock with a consultant about a month prior. Will be nice to have a test run and know what’s working and what’s not. 
I constantly mock jurors, but never to their faces.

Good morning counselors, I'm looking for some advice/direction for a friend.

Its a Worker's Comp claim in Texas.

Mr. X works at Sears. When unloading store stock he got a inguinal hernia lifting a box of weights. He did not know what was happening but felt a "stinging" in his groin. Afterwards, he spoke with the Loss Prevention Manager about the incident. They both laughed and kind of shrugged it off as "old age."

That was a Saturday night and Sunday it got worse as his intestines slid down. He returned to work as scheduled on Tuesday and reported the injury to his manager, Sergio Trevino. He was then sent to a doctor who diagnosed it as an inguinal hernia.He was told he needed surgery, but could return to work on light duty, no lifting.

When he returned to work he found that he was required to still do a lot of lifting and other labor, which was extremely painful. He has not returned to work since (a week) and is constant pain. Sears (his employer) has still not got him a followup with the doctor, nor have they approved the claim. Its seems as if they claim he reported it to wrong manager. We are not sure because they have pretty much discontinued communications. 

Any advice? I know he's not a lawyer but @bentley very familiar with this stuff. I've heard Texas is one of the worst states for WC claims.But he's not looking for a pile of money, he just wants the hernia repaired and repayment of loss wages. Seems to me the case is likely not worth enough to entice a good lawyer. 
From what I can tell on Google, Sears does not carry workers' compensation insurance in Texas. It's actually the only state that doesn't require employers to carry it.

I don't know what kind of insurance plan they have, but it's definitely worth discussing with a lawyer. He may have a little more luck finding one with this case, since workers' compensation provides employers protection from lawsuits that other types of coverage don't have.

Obviously, I don't have a lot of personal injury lawyers saved in my phone so I can't give you a recommendation.

From what I can tell on Google, Sears does not carry workers' compensation insurance in Texas. It's actually the only state that doesn't require employers to carry it.

I don't know what kind of insurance plan they have, but it's definitely worth discussing with a lawyer. He may have a little more luck finding one with this case, since workers' compensation provides employers protection from lawsuits that other types of coverage don't have.

Obviously, I don't have a lot of personal injury lawyers saved in my phone so I can't give you a recommendation.
I would suggest a worker’s compensation lawyer, in particular one you can get a strong recommendation on.  It’s a specialty, and not one that attracts great plaintiff’s lawyers usually.  I only handle comp cases for people who have related tort cases or who fall under a federal comp statute or maritime employment statute (LHWCA, FELA, Jones Act.) Most of the people I run into when I do a state comp case are idiots. 

Thanks gbjb, I appreciate the info. And happy birthday

I would suggest a worker’s compensation lawyer, in particular one you can get a strong recommendation on.  It’s a specialty, and not one that attracts great plaintiff’s lawyers usually.  I only handle comp cases for people who have related tort cases or who fall under a federal comp statute or maritime employment statute (LHWCA, FELA, Jones Act.) Most of the people I run into when I do a state comp case are idiots. 
Yeah, no luck finding one of those. Hope to get one that's at least better than him representing himself. 

Most of my clients have trouble coming up with the money to pay for trial and witness prep.  I'm usually gving them discounts on that.  And lots of time I agree to accept a flat fee.

Librarian? We are on different planets when it comes to the practice of law.
Size matters.  In law, that is.  

You’re a litigator?  Who knew.  
It's funny, I actually hate the adversarial nature of this practice when it gets nasty, and you're constantly doing all the little ticky tack fights and battling on the margins.  All a waste of time and expense, and those fights rarely ever amount to anything, and all those little discovery fights and sanctions threats are the things that keep me up at night.

All that said, I love the "team sport" aspect in the lead-up to a hearing or trial.  I love that I'm working with a team and we've all got a common goal to win this thing, and we brainstorm on solutions, and we prepare like crazy and go out there and try to perform our best on game day under the bright lights.  I'm also probably naturally pretty good at public speaking and presenting, and I think (I'm told at least) my manner is relatable and plays well and credibly in front of a judge/jury.  I also handle stress and pressure relatively well--at least to the extent one can handle them well (probably it's taking years off the back end of my life).

So, I suppose I'm cut out for this career that I sort of stumbled into.  It works.  I often think about transactional attorneys and how much easier their lives are -- for example, the patent attorneys who just draft patents.  Go do some business development, get some clients, write some patent applications.  You know all your deadlines months in advance, everything is predictable, you don't have to fight with people all the time, and the stakes are far lower.  I've often imagined semi-retiring and sitting on a beach and writing patent applications.  It's totally doable, and would be a 10,000% better lifestyle.  That said, I've also got this little fire burning inside for the bright lights.  It's the thing that gets me most amped up.  It sucks, requires travel, stress, sleepless nights, takes me away from my family more than I want.  But I'm good at it, and more importantly, as much as I often hate it, I hunger for it.

Most of my clients have trouble coming up with the money to pay for trial and witness prep.  I'm usually gving them discounts on that.  And lots of time I agree to accept a flat fee.

Librarian? We are on different planets when it comes to the practice of law.
:lmao:

“Your paralegals and librarian.”

I do a ton of focus groups. They’re cheap to set up and I can run 3-5 cases a day by those people and find out their thoughts and what they focus in on that I’d never expect. If you want some tips on it, happy to share.  Basically a room, a video camera, and people you pull off of craigslist for free lunch and a few bucks.  If you have one case you want to run, pull a few other lawyers in and split costs. 

It's funny, I actually hate the adversarial nature of this practice when it gets nasty, and you're constantly doing all the little ticky tack fights and battling on the margins.  All a waste of time and expense, and those fights rarely ever amount to anything, and all those little discovery fights and sanctions threats are the things that keep me up at night.

All that said, I love the "team sport" aspect in the lead-up to a hearing or trial.  I love that I'm working with a team and we've all got a common goal to win this thing, and we brainstorm on solutions, and we prepare like crazy and go out there and try to perform our best on game day under the bright lights.  I'm also probably naturally pretty good at public speaking and presenting, and I think (I'm told at least) my manner is relatable and plays well and credibly in front of a judge/jury.  I also handle stress and pressure relatively well--at least to the extent one can handle them well (probably it's taking years off the back end of my life).

So, I suppose I'm cut out for this career that I sort of stumbled into.  It works.  I often think about transactional attorneys and how much easier their lives are -- for example, the patent attorneys who just draft patents.  Go do some business development, get some clients, write some patent applications.  You know all your deadlines months in advance, everything is predictable, you don't have to fight with people all the time, and the stakes are far lower.  I've often imagined semi-retiring and sitting on a beach and writing patent applications.  It's totally doable, and would be a 10,000% better lifestyle.  That said, I've also got this little fire burning inside for the bright lights.  It's the thing that gets me most amped up.  It sucks, requires travel, stress, sleepless nights, takes me away from my family more than I want.  But I'm good at it, and more importantly, as much as I often hate it, I hunger for it.
Maybe that is true for patent attorneys but big law transactional work is extremely demanding.  Sometimes I wish I was a litigator as I look down the hall at the litigators at my shop and their hours and see the corporate side doing a lot more heavy lifting.  

ETA - I don't think there is anyway I would want to be a litigator.  Just that in my experience lifestyle is a bit better.  

I'm a litigator in Calgary.  We deal with Lathams on a few files.

I often think about transactional attorneys and how much easier their lives are -- for example, the patent attorneys who just draft patents.  Go do some business development, get some clients, write some patent applications.  You know all your deadlines months in advance, everything is predictable, you don't have to fight with people all the time, and the stakes are far lower.  I've often imagined semi-retiring and sitting on a beach and writing patent applications.  It's totally doable, and would be a 10,000% better lifestyle.  That said, I've also got this little fire burning inside for the bright lights.  It's the thing that gets me most amped up.  It sucks, requires travel, stress, sleepless nights, takes me away from my family more than I want.  But I'm good at it, and more importantly, as much as I often hate it, I hunger for it.
Yea, but then you'd be bored out of your mind. 

I have a family member who was a patent prosecutor for his whole career.  Every single day he wished he were a litigator.  Or, as he put it, "a real lawyer."  Grass is always greener.

Yea, but then you'd be bored out of your mind. 
Yeah, that’s the rub.  But at some point, if health, and sanity, and family are greater priorities?  Maybe bored ain’t so bad.

But for now, yeah, you’re right.  I’d hate it.

I have a family member who was a patent prosecutor for his whole career.  Every single day he wished he were a litigator.  Or, as he put it, "a real lawyer."  Grass is always greener.
I get that. I figure I’ll do this into my mid fifties I figure, and then reevaluate. At some point I’ll hopefully be in a position financially to be comfortable enough to be able to walk away and write patents or consult.

Otis said:
Oh COME ON. Change the names, tweak the facts, put some butter on it, and serve it up!
It’s not even possible.  Any detail would reveal what I did.  If I were allowed to discuss this I would be on the news like Michael Avenatti for weeks. 

I am starting a petition to the A.B.A. for them to introduce legislation that requires every civil judge in every state level superior court - especially New Jersey - to have a wet bar in their courtroom for attorneys only.  No drink maximum, doesn't have to be all top shelf but some good stuff better be there, and it is open until the judge says, call your first witness.

Whose with me?

Gotta admit, job satisfaction probably at an all time low. I passed up running for a judge position and am now watching less qualified candidates vie for it. In the past week I’ve been significantly let down by members of my support staff that have probably personally cost me a few grand. My partners and associates can’t look at their schedules well enough in advance that I’m needed to cover hearings causing me to work even later than normal with no financial benefit to me. Had my own personal hearing today for my foster daughter where the AG dropped the ball and our adoption date is delayed 90 days. Ended the day with a client who is far beyond his initial retainer screaming and cursing about the unreasonable relief he expects me to get him. 

I haven’t worked out in like three weeks. I don’t see an opportunity in sight. I see my kids like fifteen minutes per day.  Dammit I should have become an actuary. 

Users who are viewing this thread