What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Lawyer Thread Where We Stop Ruining Other Threads (4 Viewers)

I (sorta) knew a guy in college that did some unpaid gigs with baseball teams while everybody else was worried about making money and preparing for "real" jobs. It worked out extremely well for him. I think you should pursue your sports dream.
I had a law school classmate (let's call him "Theo") that ended up being the youngest GM in major league baseball, and took the Red Sox to two world series victories.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
We should have a "Law Students Thread Where We Stop Ruining the Lawyer Thread" thread.
More like a "Hey, let me get advice from you guys regarding choices you never had because I'm so damn awesome thread" thread.
I can stop posting this stuff. I don't mean to jump all over a thread. But it does often fall off the first few pages and when I first asked, I got a lot of positive response about posting some law school stuff in here.

Thank you all for the thoughts, especially the encouragement regarding going for sports stuff. I still may not get it, but half the battle seems to be picking what to go for so you can really put effort into getting it.

I wouldn't be afraid of doing the sports thing. The firms that you'll be looking at your 2L summer will be going through thousands of resumes, and conducting hundreds of interviews. It's good to have something that can make you "memorable" or stand out a bit. At the very least, the Pacers thing would be interesting to talk about in interviews.

You could probably also look into splitting. The types of jobs that you are looking at would probably be willing to accommodate that.

I (sorta) knew a guy in college that did some unpaid gigs with baseball teams while everybody else was worried about making money and preparing for "real" jobs. It worked out extremely well for him. I think you should pursue your sports dream.
I had a law school classmate (let's call him "Theo") that ended up being the youngest GM in major league baseball, and took the Red Sox to two world series victories.
Yeah, this is the same person. I went to undergrad with him.

Yeah, this is the same person. I went to undergrad with him.
Ooooo, a Yaley!

We should have a "Law Students Thread Where We Stop Ruining the Lawyer Thread" thread.
I was going to post this a couple of weeks ago, but when I went back and looked, it turned out that Instinctive's posts and the replies to them were some of the more interesting items in the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instinctive said:
More like a "Hey, let me get advice from you guys regarding choices you never had because I'm so damn awesome thread" thread.
I can stop posting this stuff. I don't mean to jump all over a thread. But it does often fall off the first few pages and when I first asked, I got a lot of positive response about posting some law school stuff in here.
I'm kidding. Just giving you crap. Your options are awesome and I find them enjoyable to follow since you're like super law student. You're in a great position and so long as you work hard the world is your oyster. Of your options above there really are no bad choices.

I mean, you could have attended this school: http://thirdtierreality.blogspot.com/2010/04/fourth-tier-waste-site-hamline.html

More like a "Hey, let me get advice from you guys regarding choices you never had because I'm so damn awesome thread" thread. That said, I'd echo what Ford said. If you're at all interested in criminal stuff, the US attorney gig is the choice. I did a PDO internship my first summer and it basically spring boarded me to my current position and I loved every minute of it - had easily the most interesting summer of my peers. But, that's me. And, frankly, I'd probably have taken the Pacers job despite the drawbacks that isn't it law and you lose the stipend.
If you like crim law, don't you almost have to do something with the government before doing defense work?

But yeah, I'd probably do the sports gig given the chance.
Eh, it's definitely a common path. Hard to get a higher paying private firm job right out of school because those firms are going to want experience (there are some bigger private firms who hire first years but the pay, at least in my state, is likely comparable to a government spot). So yeah standard path is go work as a PD or a prosecutor for a few years then either get scooped up by a local defense firm or start your own firm, ideally after networking your way to an indigent defense contract. Of course, one could always hang his or her own shingle right away and go from there.

Instinctive, you keep doing what you are doing. It's entertaining. And frankly most of us deal with ridiculous nonsense and people's pain for too much to want to read more of it - a little break from that is good. Personally, I'm rooting for finally coming up with a question that I can answer sufficiently that you are indebted to me enough that when you are the GM of a major sports team you look me up and offer me a counsel position.

Unless its the Eagles, Red Sox or Mets in which case, screw you.

Instinctive, you keep doing what you are doing. It's entertaining. And frankly most of us deal with ridiculous nonsense and people's pain for too much to want to read more of it - a little break from that is good. Personally, I'm rooting for finally coming up with a question that I can answer sufficiently that you are indebted to me enough that when you are the GM of a major sports team you look me up and offer me a counsel position.

Unless its the Eagles, Red Sox or Mets in which case, screw you.
:hot:

Screw you too.

I can't add much to what anyone said. If the pay doesn't actually help you, there's absolutely no reason to be a 1L summer associate. My wife did an unpaid internship with the DC AUSA's office her 1L year. It was much better substantive experience than I got as a 1L summer associate. But it's the federal government, so it's not as if the people in the office could guarantee her a job after graduation (she ended up not getting the DOJ honors program because she was involved in lots of liberal groups during the Monica Goodling hiring scandal).

If you're interested in working on the sports side, now's the time to pursue that opportunity. It would go a long way to telling you whether that's what you want to do.

Is this a place I can get general legal advice? Or is it just lawyers talking to lawyers about lawyerin'? I could use a little direction.

The hall my wife and I were married at is using one of our photographs on their website...

We never authorized this, nor do we even know how they got them... Should I just write them a letter and tell them to remove them?

Is this a place I can get general legal advice? Or is it just lawyers talking to lawyers about lawyerin'? I could use a little direction.
No one can give you legal advice over the internet, especially dealing with an issue not in the state the lawyer lives in. That said, if you ask a question I'm sure someone will try to tell you who to go talk to in your state.

Someone will also make fun of you.

No one can give you legal advice over the internet, especially dealing with an issue not in the state the lawyer lives in. That said, if you ask a question I'm sure someone will try to tell you who to go talk to in your state.

My girlfirend's place was just burglarized. Now she feels unsafe and wants to at least look into breaking her lease. I've been told an attorney can help but I'm not sure to what degree or what it could involve.

My girlfirend's place was just burglarized. Now she feels unsafe and wants to at least look into breaking her lease. I've been told an attorney can help but I'm not sure to what degree or what it could involve.
You should definitely at least talk to a local legal aid organization. What state are you in?

You should definitely at least talk to a local legal aid organization. What state are you in?
Texas

Texas
It's not legal advice, but a crying girl can often get a company to agree to things that a company's not required to agree to.

The hall my wife and I were married at is using one of our photographs on their website...

We never authorized this, nor do we even know how they got them... Should I just write them a letter and tell them to remove them?
Probably time to read that contract you signed with the photographer.
I am going to look for that, but I did read through the contract with the hall and there was nothing about obtaining our photos for their use.

Texas
It's not legal advice, but a crying girl can often get a company to agree to things that a company's not required to agree to.
I just happen to have access to one of those. The PM company has already been pretty terrible to her so I'm not expecting much, but I intend to have a conversation or two with these people and I have a feeling the phrase "the next person you'll hear from will be my attorney" will be used. I'm under no illusions that this is going to work, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. That said, I would at the very least like to speak with an attorney about what's available to her going forward before I go running off at the mouth with the slumlord.

Chances are the contract you signed for the hall and or photographer had a waiver in there for it. So check those contracts.

Texas
I just happen to have access to one of those. The PM company has already been pretty terrible to her so I'm not expecting much, but I intend to have a conversation or two with these people and I have a feeling the phrase "the next person you'll hear from will be my attorney" will be used. I'm under no illusions that this is going to work, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. That said, I would at the very least like to speak with an attorney about what's available to her going forward before I go running off at the mouth with the slumlord.
HF hasn't been wrong in his comments. I have no idea what the law is in Texas. This would be a tough argument in my state for breaking a lease I think but to be honest I don't know if I have ever had the issue to deal with.

I am going to look for that, but I did read through the contract with the hall and there was nothing about obtaining our photos for their use.
Question might be whether the photographer has a right of advertisement. Which then allows the photographer to sell the thing for third-party advertisement in some cases.

hey guys since you're dishing out thoughts and making fun of people, seems like the right place and time to post this.

Just over four weeks ago, my wife and I were eating at Rock Bottom (bleech) as we often do before we go see a show as the theater is across the street.

Anyway, after we eat, my wife goes up 3 steps to the next level to see if she see anyone she knows. On her way back down the steps she slips on the wet floor. She hurts her ankle badly and a minute later she passes out. The restaurant call the paramedics. The paramedics say she passed out because of shock from the pain and a drop in blood pressure. They check her out and tell her to go home. On the way home she barfs in a bag. There goes dinner. The GM at Rock Bottom paid for our dinner so no loss there.

The next day she goes to the ankle doctor. They diagnose her with a bad sprain of some sort and she's in a boot for a month. The boot is a big pain in the ###, Now she's off to rehab. Out of pocket will probably be ~1,000 maybe less. She didn't miss any work, but the boot does suck.

What should my next steps be? Any general or specific thoughts?

I have not contacted Rock Bottom or a lawyer. Not sure I really need a lawyer for this.

Texas
HF hasn't been wrong in his comments. I have no idea what the law is in Texas. This would be a tough argument in my state for breaking a lease I think but to be honest I don't know if I have ever had the issue to deal with.
Thanks, all. Going to be a fight to be sure. I'm also sure the lease protects these people from any responsibility to ensure the safety of the tenant. Which really pisses me off.

Were there obvious things the landlord could have done to prevent the burglary?
Bars on the window they broke to get in would have been a good start. An alarm system would have been nice as well. I'm not an idiot and neither is she; she knew it wasn't in the best neighborhood. I'm trying to get some good insight here, so I'll keep it civil, but the protection these people have built into leases makes me sick. That's why we're going to fight it.

Bars on the window they broke to get in would have been a good start. An alarm system would have been nice as well. I'm not an idiot and neither is she; she knew it wasn't in the best neighborhood. I'm trying to get some good insight here, so I'll keep it civil, but the protection these people have built into leases makes me sick. That's why we're going to fight it.
Well the good news is that typically a landlord is obligated to make reasonable efforts to re-let the property, so even if they won't willingly let her break it, she should only be on the hook for the time it goes empty plus the cost to re-let.

You seem pretty angry about it, but just as an objective observation, you should know that landlords aren't obligated to protect tenants from the criminal acts of others, unless there's *a lot* of evidence that they were inviting a problem, or weren't doing obvious things, like keeping common areas lit.

Well the good news is that typically a landlord is obligated to make reasonable efforts to re-let the property, so even if they won't willingly let her break it, she should only be on the hook for the time it goes empty plus the cost to re-let.

You seem pretty angry about it, but just as an objective observation, you should know that landlords aren't obligated to protect tenants from the criminal acts of others, unless there's *a lot* of evidence that they were inviting a problem, or weren't doing obvious things, like keeping common areas lit.
I'm pretty angry about it, yes, but I'll be the first to admit it's misplaced anger that should be directed towards thieves and stubborn girlfriends. At the same time "bars on windows don't get properties rented" is a part of this that I can accurately direct my anger at the PM/owner.

I met with a new client yesterday who is pro se in a municipal case. It's set for trial next week but they'd agreed to settle it. He wanted a lawyer to review the settlement agreement. It wasn't bad but I suggested a few tweaks. I had a lot more problem with it from a business perspective than a legal one. So I called the other attorney to discuss it. That's when I found out my client had signed it last week. :lmao:

I met with a new client yesterday who is pro se in a municipal case. It's set for trial next week but they'd agreed to settle it. He wanted a lawyer to review the settlement agreement. It wasn't bad but I suggested a few tweaks. I had a lot more problem with it from a business perspective than a legal one. So I called the other attorney to discuss it. That's when I found out my client had signed it last week. :lmao:
Have that talk with him about horses and barn doors?

Remember when I was complaining about the family law guy trying to dabble in M&A? He sent a seven-page memo in response to three agreements. It was funny enough to me that the guy wrote a seven-page memo outlining nothing more than conceptual concepts ("these documents are overbroad" or "we should make the closing date sometime after the documents are signed"--huh???) rather than marking up the documents or making a bullet-point list or doing anything a normal person would do, but the best part was that five of his seven pages of nonsense related to two agreements that had already been executed two months ago.

I do feel bad for his client who likely paid for this, but the lawyer has the same last name as one of the principals, so I figure he was just throwing his nephew a bone or something.

Client just came in dressed in costume for Halloween. Client's age is late 60's.

I really don't want this client anymore solely based on this. I hate this holiday sometimes.

Client just came in dressed in costume for Halloween. Client's age is late 60's.

I really don't want this client anymore solely based on this. I hate this holiday sometimes.
What did he dress up as? If it was a judge I think that's appropriate.
She. I can't tell. Some kind of alien anteanne thing with awful colored shirt and something on the shoes that for the life of me I have no idea what. I'm thinking it was some kind of demented alien clown who visited earth in the 70's and thought ridiculous disco colors are still in fad to fit in?

She. I can't tell. Some kind of alien anteanne thing with awful colored shirt and something on the shoes that for the life of me I have no idea what. I'm thinking it was some kind of demented alien clown who visited earth in the 70's and thought ridiculous disco colors are still in fad to fit in?
So a municipal judge then.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice.

Nice.
Too far?

Nice.
Too far?
Absolutely not.

Is this the thread we come to asking for advice? Need some advice regarding starting a new business with 3 others that have signed non competes with a similar employer.

Is this the thread we come to asking for advice? Need some advice regarding starting a new business with 3 others that have signed non

competes with a similar employer.
Pay for a consult with an employment attorney in your jurisdiction.

Is this the thread we come to asking for advice? Need some advice regarding starting a new business with 3 others that have signed non

competes with a similar employer.
Pay for a consult with an employment attorney in your jurisdiction.
Anyone know any good employment attorneys in KY? They're currently based in KY but we will be based in TN.

I just spent two ####ing hours building a case to exclude an "expert" from testifying for the defense based on a factual scenario description from the managing partner from my firm who needed emergency help - the "expert" was explained to me as a consulting medical examiner for a governmental entity.

After getting this thing completely nailed down, it turns out that the entire factual basis for everything the managing partner wants to exclude is completely wrong. No government agency was involved, it is a private company. It's not excludable.

####, ####, ####, ####, ####.

Users who are viewing this thread