What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill, RB (LVR) (3 Viewers)

Hope you sold already. His time is over.

It isn't his situation that's the issue. It's the talent. They should have kept Burkhead (who offers more everywhere including ST) and jettisoned Hill. If Gio's healthy come regular season, Hill shouldn't even be dressing on gamedays.
Did something happen today?  Yes he's probably 3rd behind gio and Mixon. 

I don't think he will be but it would be best if he were traded to a team that could use him.  Fwiw I disagree with your stance about him being without talent.  He's not an elite guy by any stretch but he's perfectly capable of being part of a decent rbbc.

Hope you sold already. His time is over.

It isn't his situation that's the issue. It's the talent. They should have kept Burkhead (who offers more everywhere including ST) and jettisoned Hill. If Gio's healthy come regular season, Hill shouldn't even be dressing on gamedays.
Garbage statement. I don't own the guy anywhere, but to say this shows that you sorely lack knowledge of the game.

He'll be an UFA this offseason.  In what looks like it should be a pretty weak year for RB FAs, especially young ones, he could garner some interest for a starting role if he at least looks decent this year playing part time.

He'll be an UFA this offseason.  In what looks like it should be a pretty weak year for RB FAs, especially young ones, he could garner some interest for a starting role if he at least looks decent this year playing part time.
He and Hyde are the only real notable ones I can think of under age 28 currently.

Gotta think if healthy he'll just be tagged (again), right?
He's at $12.1M right now.  Another FT would put them at $14.5M, more than twice the next RB, and at that price they may as well go multi-year and get a discount for it.  He'll also be nearly two years clean by that time if nothing in the interim, which clears him of the NFL Drug Policy escalations as well.  If he has no behavioral/drug pop up I think they give him a full deal next year.

Casting Couch said:
Garbage statement. I don't own the guy anywhere, but to say this shows that you sorely lack knowledge of the game.
The only garbage is you thinking hill does ANYTHING on a football field better than mixon.

But you'll eventually see that....

The only garbage is you thinking hill does ANYTHING on a football field better than mixon.

Have you seen Hill's TD numbers in the 3 years he's been in the league? Even if you threw out the fact that he was a good and productive RB in his rookie year, he still is one of, if not THE, most effective redzone running backs in the league in terms of scoring. That is why, unfortunately for Mixon owners this year, I don't think Hill will lose that particular job this year unless he starts fumbling again.

As for next year, this guy could become the new Legarrette Blount. An eternal contender like the Patriots, Packers or Colts (with a year round Luck) could make Hill into the most next irritating vulture in the league

Have you seen Hill's TD numbers in the 3 years he's been in the league? Even if you threw out the fact that he was a good and productive RB in his rookie year, he still is one of, if not THE, most effective redzone running backs in the league in terms of scoring. That is why, unfortunately for Mixon owners this year, I don't think Hill will lose that particular job this year unless he starts fumbling again.

As for next year, this guy could become the new Legarrette Blount. An eternal contender like the Patriots, Packers or Colts (with a year round Luck) could make Hill into the most next irritating vulture in the league
Yep.  Hill and mack would make a fine duo.

Read my post Craig, did I compare him to Mixon in anyway what-so-ever ?

You're claim is that Jeremy Hill shouldn't be part of the Bengal's 53 man roster.... simply asinine.

You're claim is that Jeremy Hill shouldn't be part of the Bengal's 53 man roster.... simply asinine.
Yeah, thats no a shark move. Nothing I hate more than hyperbole to defend a fantasy talking point. Is Hill the greatest? No, is he worthy of touching the ball multiple times for an NFL team in a football game? Yes. To say he shouldn't be rostered is a reach of major proportions. 

It's actually possible that Hill does not dress on game-days if Mixon does beat him out for the starting job (which isn't a given of course). Assuming Gio is  the preferred option to Hill due to his versatility and the Bengals only dress 4 RBs on game-day (which includes FB Ryan Hewitt and is a pretty common practice) it's likely that Cedric Peerman could be the active RB3 since he plays on special teams and Hill does not. They may dress 5 RBs though.

So I do not think it's an asine statement to make - the drafting of Mixon in Round 2 did make a pretty strong statement as to what they think of Hill (and personally I like Hill).

Yeah, thats no a shark move. Nothing I hate more than hyperbole to defend a fantasy talking point. Is Hill the greatest? No, is he worthy of touching the ball multiple times for an NFL team in a football game? Yes. To say he shouldn't be rostered is a reach of major proportions. 
There's a difference between being on the team's roster and being on their game-day active roster. I posted above why Hill just may not be active every week, and I think it's a valid position to take.

There's a difference between being on the team's roster and being on their game-day active roster. I posted above why Hill just may not be active every week, and I think it's a valid position to take.
I do not think its valid. Maybe if he is hurt sure, but not letting him on the active roster because of a rookie and a guy coming back from a late knee injury is not a valid position to take. 

Edit: I had to add -->  :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually possible that Hill does not dress on game-days if Mixon does beat him out for the starting job (which isn't a given of course). Assuming Gio is  the preferred option to Hill due to his versatility and the Bengals only dress 4 RBs on game-day (which includes FB Ryan Hewitt and is a pretty common practice) it's likely that Cedric Peerman could be the active RB3 since he plays on special teams and Hill does not. They may dress 5 RBs though.

So I do not think it's an asine statement to make - the drafting of Mixon in Round 2 did make a pretty strong statement as to what they think of Hill (and personally I like Hill).
If they don't dress hill and he's healthy they'll almost certainly trade him.  Even if it's for a late, contingent pick.

If they don't dress hill and he's healthy they'll almost certainly trade him.  Even if it's for a late, contingent pick.
If they consider themselves a contender, he's cheap (rookie contract) insurance in case Mixon or Gio get hurt. I'm also not ruling out the possibility that he earns a major role in the offense either. I just don't think it's ludicrous that he could end up inactive some games.

I do not think its valid. Maybe if he is hurt sure, but not letting him on the active roster because of a rookie and a guy coming back from a late knee injury is not a valid position to take. 

Edit: I had to add -->  :lmao:
They spent a second round pick on that rookie. Is your position, that they aren't going to use him? I'm not ruling out the possibility that he just doesn't perform well enough to earn a significant role, but it's a pretty disingenuous position to try and act like a rookie couldn't keep a mediocre veteran off the field as if that has never happened.

And all indications are that Gio is recovering well. If he's showing signs of not recovering, of course I wouldn't think he'd be active over Hill.

Sometimes you should try and read and understand what some one is saying before just spouting off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue the Bengals might face if they got to a point of wanting to trade him is that what he brings back in return won't even amount to what they might get as a compensatory pick. And he's for sure got value to the team as a cheap durable proven option at a minimum.

If they consider themselves a contender, he's cheap (rookie contract) insurance in case Mixon or Gio get hurt. I'm also not ruling out the possibility that he earns a major role in the offense either. I just don't think it's ludicrous that he could end up inactive some games.
I'm of the opinion he'll enter camp with his role as we've known it as his to lose so to speak and lose it he may but while  Mixon is vastly more talented but he's not getting anointed, he'll have to take the job.  Having said that I don't think it's ludicrous at all to think that if all 3 RB's are healthy and Mixon has officially passed Hill on the depth chart that Hill would be game day inactive because he does not offer much on special teams.

I own a Bengals RB all over the place, invested in some degree in all 3 of them. I worry that next season it's a 3 man cluster so I would really love to see Hill traded and if not I would just hope that the work is not split it up among 3 RB's.

To give an idea of how low Hill's value is right now. I recently traded for him and in that trade I had offered the team a choice between giving me their 2018 third round pick or I'd throw them 4.9 for Hill. They jumped on the 4.9 for Hill option instead of a future third so quickly that I realized  in hindsight I think I could have likely  kept my 4th round pick. Meaning Hill's value to this team was less than a future third.

Last thing I'll say is I view Hill, Ware and Perine as pretty similar players. Situation matters because Ware was fairly valuable before they acquired Hunt and he's still more valuable than Hill and Perine much more valuable than Hill to people. This is main reason I picked up Hill, on hope his situation changes but I think it's a small hope for this upcoming season.

The issue the Bengals might face if they got to a point of wanting to trade him is that what he brings back in return won't even amount to what they might get as a compensatory pick. And he's for sure got value to the team as a cheap durable proven option at a minimum.

I'm of the opinion he'll enter camp with his role as we've known it as his to lose so to speak and lose it he may but while  Mixon is vastly more talented but he's not getting anointed, he'll have to take the job.  Having said that I don't think it's ludicrous at all to think that if all 3 RB's are healthy and Mixon has officially passed Hill on the depth chart that Hill would be game day inactive because he does not offer much on special teams.

I own a Bengals RB all over the place, invested in some degree in all 3 of them. I worry that next season it's a 3 man cluster so I would really love to see Hill traded and if not I would just hope that the work is not split it up among 3 RB's.

To give an idea of how low Hill's value is right now. I recently traded for him and in that trade I had offered the team a choice between giving me their 2018 third round pick or I'd throw them 4.9 for Hill. They jumped on the 4.9 for Hill option instead of a future third so quickly that I realized  in hindsight I think I could have likely  kept my 4th round pick. Meaning Hill's value to this team was less than a future third.

Last thing I'll say is I view Hill, Ware and Perine as pretty similar players. Situation matters because Ware was fairly valuable before they acquired Hunt and he's still more valuable than Hill and Perine much more valuable than Hill to people. This is main reason I picked up Hill, on hope his situation changes but I think it's a small hope for this upcoming season.
Fair point. Forget about the late pick, but if a team like the Raiders need a rb (ie lynch ineffective or injured) and Hill isn't contibruting, I think they trade him.  But then I'm not including them as a contender right now. (I could easily be wrong about that)

Fair point. Forget about the late pick, but if a team like the Raiders need a rb (ie lynch ineffective or injured) and Hill isn't contibruting, I think they trade him.  But then I'm not including them as a contender right now. (I could easily be wrong about that)
While possibly true, that comp pick wouldn't be until 2019.  I don't think Marvin gives a rat's ### about two years from now when he may no longer be coaching the Bengals.  If they keep him, it's as insurance against injury.  They could also trade him for help elsewhere.  The last thing they are thinking about though is a comp pick.

They spent a second round pick on that rookie. Is your position, that they aren't going to use him? I'm not ruling out the possibility that he just doesn't perform well enough to earn a significant role, but it's a pretty disingenuous position to try and act like a rookie couldn't keep a mediocre veteran off the field as if that has never happened.

And all indications are that Gio is recovering well. If he's showing signs of not recovering, of course I wouldn't think he'd be active over Hill.

Sometimes you should try and read and understand what some one is saying before just spouting off.
LOL, I aint got time to waste on people trying to deflect the conversation. It goes to "do I think they wont play Mixon" because I say that "Hill will not be deactivated." Are you a  politician with all that spin? They spent a second on Hill and Bernard, but whatever. 

If all 3 RB are healthy to start year, I don't see any having big value.  Hill short yardage and red zone plays 50% of snaps.   Mixon and Gio spilt the other 50%...   

While possibly true, that comp pick wouldn't be until 2019.  I don't think Marvin gives a rat's ### about two years from now when he may no longer be coaching the Bengals.  If they keep him, it's as insurance against injury.  They could also trade him for help elsewhere.  The last thing they are thinking about though is a comp pick.
Marvin is not the GM. Mike Brown cares about the future and if he's not the one calling 100% of the shot's it Duke Tobin. Neither of those are people worried about job security.  I don't think any team, even one with GM/coach with little job security, would say the last thing they are thinking about is a comp pick, I think it absolutely factors into the decision making process. And in cases like this yes you have to wait an extra year for the pick versus a trade but you also get the services of the player for 2017.

My point wasn't that they won't trade him, it was that if they were going to, holding out for a pick two years from now is going to be very low on the priority.   Lewis is a part timer and his priority it winning now.  Brown and Tobin do indeed care about longer term, but not at the expense of now.  It's not like they are looking at future 1st round picks here, AP at $3.5M per year only returns a 6th, and Hill is unlikely to command even that.  And whatever he does, it's only going to factor if CIN doesn't make corresponding UFA signings that cancel it out.  So that's not going to guide their decision.

Regardless of titles they aren't going to trade a guy the coach doesn't want to trade.  Lewis is a short-timer, maybe even in his last year, and is going to want to keep the guy as depth or get current year help at another position.

Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official website still expects Jeremy Hill to be a factor on offense for Cincinnati this season.

We've literally heard nothing on Hill since the Bengals used a second-rounder on Joe Mixon back in late April. But coach Marvin Lewis apparently had a "fiery defense" of Hill at one point this offseason. Hobson expects Hill to not only keep his roster spot but also be a factor near the goal line at the very least. Many are handing the job to Mixon, but this is a situation to watch this summer.

Source: bengals.com

Jul 7 - 9:42 AM

Hey Faust,   I'd like to see someone break it down better than Octopus just did a few posts back..  Hill is an both an awesome backup, and trade bait for a great costs.   Not to mention it only makes sense for a Coach to defend his players, especially a good performer!  If Hill is on the roster, and they play a Defense that isn't giving up Rushing TD's?  I believe Hill should be active.  Now, whether the Coach overlooks the fact or doesn't care is a whole different subject.  Its also worth noting, that a few good games (against softer opponents) would be great for trade talks.  (ticket sales etc.)

Can anyone comment on Coach every misrepresenting a good player?  ie.  Favre is terrible, and trade him ala Jerry Glanville type deal.  We hear "Coach talk" all the time, so I'm not sure its worth much merit.

Sadly, some of us in 12-man Dynasty/Keeper Leagues we're placed in a conundrum.  Owning Hill becomes more a luxury/nightmare..   In my experience, the spot could be used for a promising Rookie.  However trading Hill will be hard, if not impossible.  Dropping a contract yr. player just sounds nasty.  I'm not asking what ya think I should do..  But, I do appreciate your various posts on the player!  Think I'm holding at this point in time.

Hey Faust,   I'd like to see someone break it down better than Octopus just did a few posts back..  Hill is an both an awesome backup, and trade bait for a great costs.   Not to mention it only makes sense for a Coach to defend his players, especially a good performer!  If Hill is on the roster, and they play a Defense that isn't giving up Rushing TD's?  I believe Hill should be active.  Now, whether the Coach overlooks the fact or doesn't care is a whole different subject.  Its also worth noting, that a few good games (against softer opponents) would be great for trade talks.  (ticket sales etc.)

Can anyone comment on Coach every misrepresenting a good player?  ie.  Favre is terrible, and trade him ala Jerry Glanville type deal.  We hear "Coach talk" all the time, so I'm not sure its worth much merit.

Sadly, some of us in 12-man Dynasty/Keeper Leagues we're placed in a conundrum.  Owning Hill becomes more a luxury/nightmare..   In my experience, the spot could be used for a promising Rookie.  However trading Hill will be hard, if not impossible.  Dropping a contract yr. player just sounds nasty.  I'm not asking what ya think I should do..  But, I do appreciate your various posts on the player!  Think I'm holding at this point in time.
As a Hill dynasty owner, I have not completely given up on Hill, and I think he is a (dynasty) buy low at the moment.  Hill has looked pedestrian and is running without the power and fire he exhibited as a rookie; nonetheless, I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Mixon renders Hill worthless.  Given the likely deficiencies on the Cincinnati Offensive line, it will be imperative that the RB be able to make key reads and blitz pickups, and that is an area rookies often falter.  If Hill can regain his confidence and get back to running downhill, he should at least carve out a role as a short-yardage and goal-line back, and last time I checked, fantasy leagues award points for those TDs.  While his yardage totals will not approach those of 2014, his TD totals may not suffer much, and he has been good for 9-11 TDs per season.

As a Hill dynasty owner, I have not completely given up on Hill, and I think he is a (dynasty) buy low at the moment.  Hill has looked pedestrian and is running without the power and fire he exhibited as a rookie; nonetheless, I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that Mixon renders Hill worthless.  Given the likely deficiencies on the Cincinnati Offensive line, it will be imperative that the RB be able to make key reads and blitz pickups, and that is an area rookies often falter.  If Hill can regain his confidence and get back to running downhill, he should at least carve out a role as a short-yardage and goal-line back, and last time I checked, fantasy leagues award points for those TDs.  While his yardage totals will not approach those of 2014, his TD totals may not suffer much, and he has been good for 9-11 TDs per season.
Hill had a lowkey decent year in 2016. He averaged more standard ppg than Crowell. He finished as the kind of last tier of startable RBs. He has competition now with Mixon, but rookies don't always jump right in, even at RB. Gio had the knee injury. For the round 10-12 price Hill is going, he's a guy I will likely end up drafting in a few spots. 

The Bengals have a track record of utilizing RBBC since 2013. I don't really see this changing in 2017. Both Hill and Bernard are still with the team in addition to Mixon.

All 3 of these RB were 2nd round picks, so similarly valued by the Bengals on draft day. Bernard signed a contract extension last year, so when healthy I would expect him to be in the mix. He has been pretty effective as a receiving option. Career 8.9 yards per reception is above average (around 7 YPR is average for a RB) and about the same as LeVeion Bells 8.8 YPR.

Hill has scored 21 of his 29 regular season rushing TD from the red zone, a role he might maintain in 2017. It is also possible this being a contract year for Hill, that he is playing with extra motivation to show what he can do in hopes of a good 2nd contract, either with the Bengals or with a new team. This is basically the most important contract of a RBs career in the NFL. RB is a young players position, due to the CBA a RB needs to make the most of their contract opportunity after paying dues on their rookie contract. So Hill will be auditioning for a new team through his play even if he isn't part of the Bengals long term plans.

I wouldn't really want Hill in fantasy because of the competition he has from Bernard and Mixon. He has more value in standard scoring or TD only leagues though.

Prior to 2013 with Marvin Lewis they did not use RBBC but they also didn't have other high quality options on the team to enable that. Once they did they have favored a split between two RB that limits the upside potential of them both, except when the other RB is injured. I don't know if they will split opportunities 3 ways now that they have 3 quality RB or not. Maybe they stick with playing the best two still, which in my opinion would be Mixon and Bernard. It is always possible that Hill maintains his role in the offense however and Mixon becomes the COP RB until Bernard is healthy, also possible Mixon takes over Hills role when Bernard is healthy and presumably returns to his role in the offense.

Worst case scenario for Mixon would be if Hill and Bernard can hold him off, which I think is unlikely but possible.

I think a lot of people expect Mixon to come in and take over both roles right away. I have doubts about that happening. It seems too optimistic considering the talent of the other two RB available to the Bengals.

Worst case scenario for Hill is if Mixon takes over his role in the offense and Bernard maintains his, leaving little opportunity left for Hill to do much.

ESPN Bengals reporter Katherine Terrell expects Jeremy Hill to enter the season as the starting running back.

Take it as you may. Terrell doesn't divulge on the situation. She simply writes, "If history is any indication, Hill will likely exit camp as the starting back. But Joe Mixon could push him every step of the way." All offseason long, Hill has been an afterthought in Cincinnati, though most expect him to keep his spot on the team and still be a factor. Mixon remains the favorite to secure lead-back duties, and sooner rather than later. Hill hasn't been any good since his 2014 rookie season. He could get the nominal "start" in the opener, but Mixon is the far better fantasy bet.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 4 - 10:33 AM

And Hobson said yesterday that Mixon could get 20-23 touches in week one.

I'm a buy on Mixon - I just think he's going to be an irresistable force.

-QG

I have already assumed that by mid-season Mixon will be the starter. I have been try to get Hill on the cheap because: 

1. Next year Hill will be a young free agent with the potential to land in a good spot. 

2. Hill is great trade bait for the Bengals if a RB goes down in camp, and they can get some return on a trade. 

The problem is finding a way to get him for a low cost. Some owners are asking for too much. 

Jeremy Hill was forced from the Bengals' third preseason game with a left ankle injury, and will not return.

Hill got rolled up in the first quarter, and was ruled out in the second. Before going down, Hill made his third consecutive start of the preseason, getting the ball on each of the Bengals' first two plays. He then gave way to third-down back Giovani Bernard, while impressive rookie Joe Mixon joined later on the opening series. Despite the starts, Hill hasn't been overly impressive this summer, turning 18 carries into 69 yards (3.83 YPC) and a touchdown. Mixon has been the more explosive player. Even if Hill gets the Week 1 "start," he'll be in danger of getting passed up by Mixon at any given moment.

Related: Joe Mixon

Aug 27 - 5:30 PM

Hill had a lowkey decent year in 2016. He averaged more standard ppg than Crowell. He finished as the kind of last tier of startable RBs. He has competition now with Mixon, but rookies don't always jump right in, even at RB. Gio had the knee injury. For the round 10-12 price Hill is going, he's a guy I will likely end up drafting in a few spots. 
:goodposting:

Its kinda crazy to me how many people seem to be trying to kick dirt on this guy's grave already. He looked great in his rookie year. Not as good the last two but (like you said) not a complete stiff, either. While he's certainly been TD dependent at times, he's got 29 in 47 career games (including at least one long rushing TD each season to his credit (74, 38, 85)). He's 24, and I think he's got more ability than he's currently being given credit for. I know...Mixon. But I don't think Hill is as dead as a lot of people seem to think.

:goodposting:

Its kinda crazy to me how many people seem to be trying to kick dirt on this guy's grave already. He looked great in his rookie year. Not as good the last two but (like you said) not a complete stiff, either. While he's certainly been TD dependent at times, he's got 29 in 47 career games (including at least one long rushing TD each season to his credit (74, 38, 85)). He's 24, and I think he's got more ability than he's currently being given credit for. I know...Mixon. But I don't think Hill is as dead as a lot of people seem to think.
I did a break down of how he compiled stats, got into heated debates ... bottom line a large percentage of his stats were compiled against some of the worst defenses in the league under ideal conditions for him. He has nor ever will show us anything past that imo.

I did a break down of how he compiled stats, got into heated debates ... bottom line a large percentage of his stats were compiled against some of the worst defenses in the league under ideal conditions for him. He has nor ever will show us anything past that imo.
IIRC, David Johnson and Zeke Elliot had two of the most favorable schedules for RB last season. Players typically do better when they are playing the lesser defenses and worse when they consistently face tough ones. No real revelation there. That is why we take SOS into consideration, isn't it?

I am NOT saying Hill is on the same level with either of those players. Just saying we'd be discounting a lot of stats if we exclude the ones where a player was going against a weaker D.

You may be proven correct Hill will never show us anything past that. But that is yet TBD...

Users who are viewing this thread