What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (3 Viewers)

Freeman will get his 12 carries, maybe a catch or two, average a healthy 6 ypc and end up with 8-10 fantasy points just like he's done ever since I traded for him 2 months ago
We are in the same boat .... feel the same way.  Not using him the same as they were in the beginning of the year before I traded for him

There are players who disappoint because they simply are performing poorly.  Then there are others who are used differently than what was forecasted and hence the volume/targets come in below expectations.  Usually, there is a relational point between the two.  Player plays poorly, team looks elsewhere for production.

The puzzling thing about Freeman is that in his 5 full games since 10/1 when his usage rates cratered, he's still averaging 5.4 YPC. 

A perfect example though of how I think the Falcons RB's have been mishandled by Sarkisian this year though was this sequence in the 4th quarter against MIN.  Struggling to score points, the Falcons went to Freeman 4 straight times.

1st and 10 at ATL 29
(9:26 - 4th) D.Freeman right end to ATL 32 for 3 yards (D.Hunter; T.Waynes).

2nd and 7 at ATL 32
(8:46 - 4th) D.Freeman right end to ATL 39 for 7 yards (H.Smith).

1st and 10 at ATL 39
(8:00 - 4th) M.Ryan pass short right to D.Freeman to ATL 46 for 7 yards (A.Barr).

2nd and 3 at ATL 46
(7:25 - 4th) D.Freeman left end ran ob at MIN 44 for 10 yards (X.Rhodes).

Drive gaining momentum, right?  Yup, out goes Freeman, in comes Coleman...I remember Freeman coming in on the last 3rd down play.

1st and 10 at MIN 44
(6:49 - 4th) M.Ryan pass incomplete short middle to T.Coleman (E.Kendricks).

2nd and 10 at MIN 44
(6:39 - 4th) M.Ryan pass short right to Ju.Jones to MIN 33 for 11 yards (X.Rhodes).

1st and 10 at MIN 33
(6:06 - 4th) T.Coleman left end to MIN 33 for no gain (X.Rhodes).

2nd and 10 at MIN 33
(5:24 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short middle to Ju.Jones.

3rd and 10 at MIN 33
(5:18 - 4th) M.Ryan pass short right to T.Gabriel ran ob at MIN 27 for 6 yards.

4th and 4 at MIN 27
(4:59 - 4th) M.Bryant 45 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-J.Harris, Holder-M.Bosher.

This isn't the first time Sarkisian has stunted drive momentum with random RB usage substitution patterns.  Fact is Coleman and Freeman are both really good backs, but they are very different runners and it just seems to me that at times, you can see a defense struggling to deal with one of the Falcons RB's and that style, and then Sark let's them off the hook.  Frustrating as a Falcon fan.

There are players who disappoint because they simply are performing poorly.  Then there are others who are used differently than what was forecasted and hence the volume/targets come in below expectations.  Usually, there is a relational point between the two.  Player plays poorly, team looks elsewhere for production.

The puzzling thing about Freeman is that in his 5 full games since 10/1 when his usage rates cratered, he's still averaging 5.4 YPC. 

A perfect example though of how I think the Falcons RB's have been mishandled by Sarkisian this year though was this sequence in the 4th quarter against MIN.  Struggling to score points, the Falcons went to Freeman 4 straight times.

1st and 10 at ATL 29
(9:26 - 4th) D.Freeman right end to ATL 32 for 3 yards (D.Hunter; T.Waynes).

2nd and 7 at ATL 32
(8:46 - 4th) D.Freeman right end to ATL 39 for 7 yards (H.Smith).

1st and 10 at ATL 39
(8:00 - 4th) M.Ryan pass short right to D.Freeman to ATL 46 for 7 yards (A.Barr).

2nd and 3 at ATL 46
(7:25 - 4th) D.Freeman left end ran ob at MIN 44 for 10 yards (X.Rhodes).

Drive gaining momentum, right?  Yup, out goes Freeman, in comes Coleman...I remember Freeman coming in on the last 3rd down play.

1st and 10 at MIN 44
(6:49 - 4th) M.Ryan pass incomplete short middle to T.Coleman (E.Kendricks).

2nd and 10 at MIN 44
(6:39 - 4th) M.Ryan pass short right to Ju.Jones to MIN 33 for 11 yards (X.Rhodes).

1st and 10 at MIN 33
(6:06 - 4th) T.Coleman left end to MIN 33 for no gain (X.Rhodes).

2nd and 10 at MIN 33
(5:24 - 4th) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short middle to Ju.Jones.

3rd and 10 at MIN 33
(5:18 - 4th) M.Ryan pass short right to T.Gabriel ran ob at MIN 27 for 6 yards.

4th and 4 at MIN 27
(4:59 - 4th) M.Bryant 45 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-J.Harris, Holder-M.Bosher.

This isn't the first time Sarkisian has stunted drive momentum with random RB usage substitution patterns.  Fact is Coleman and Freeman are both really good backs, but they are very different runners and it just seems to me that at times, you can see a defense struggling to deal with one of the Falcons RB's and that style, and then Sark let's them off the hook.  Frustrating as a Falcon fan.
Yeah, watched the whole game and was perplexed by his usage, particularly the sequence you pointed out. Freeman looked really good all game but then they go away from him when they are only down one score. Freeman can make people miss better than Coleman and is more effective against a defense like Minnesota.  Kind of game he should have had 20 plus carries in.  

Only averaging 2 catches a game this year compared to 4 last year is an issue with the offense too.  Didn’t Sarkisian watch tape of last years super bowl team?  

Tevin Coleman - RB - Falcons

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Tevin Coleman remains in the concussion protocol.

There are different stages of the protocol, so being in it does not mean Coleman will necessarily miss Thursday's practice. Still, he was not able to get in any work Tuesday, and it looks like he is at best questionable for Monday night.

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Dec 14 - 12:30 PM

Tevin Coleman (concussion) is not practicing Friday.

Coleman remains in the league's protocol. He has an extra day to get ready with Atlanta playing Monday night in Tampa, but he looks very doubtful.

This is shaping up to be a monster match-up for Freeman.

vaughn mcclure‏ @vxmcclure23 17m17 minutes ago

Follow Follow @vxmcclure23Following Following @vxmcclure23Unfollow Unfollow @vxmcclure23Blocked Blocked @vxmcclure23Unblock Unblock @vxmcclure23Pending Pending follow request from @vxmcclure23Cancel Cancel your follow request to @vxmcclure23

More

Copy link to Tweet

Embed Tweet

Tevin Coleman doing some running and cutting on side Field with ball in hands wearing a sweatshirt. Has to be fully cleared to play.

8:28 AM - 16 Dec 2017

Good news: Season is on the line and Ryan is playing like ### so the opportunity to get fed could be there

Bad news: Chances are probably above 50/50 that Coleman is back and if he is--- very little chance Freeman gets 28 touches again.

If he gets 28 touches again-- his teams will win a lot of championships next week. 
Coleman's health will likely be the determining factor in whether I start Freeman or M. Gordon this week. Freeman has the talent, Gordon has the opportunity, and talent usually wins out for me, but Freeman's production is barely flex worthy when Coleman is around.

Freeman might be my favorite running back in the league, style wise. I love Bell's patience, and Gurley has a fluidity to him that makes it look like he's barely trying, but Freeman attacked the defense with unbelievable ferocity every time he touched the ball last night. Every hit makes me cringe, and it makes for some fun to watch football.

Man that was unreal last night! I sat Hunt for Collins last week and after Saturday night I was considering looking for a length of rope. Freeman saved me. Unreal. 

But! Now I have to wonder again: Collins against Indy or Freeman assuming Coleman plays....?

Good news: Season is on the line and Ryan is playing like ### so the opportunity to get fed could be there

Bad news: Chances are probably above 50/50 that Coleman is back and if he is--- very little chance Freeman gets 28 touches again.

If he gets 28 touches again-- his teams will win a lot of championships next week. 
ward did have 8 carries and one catch last night so if the game flow is in their favor there still should be enough touches to go around.  after last nights performance you would think the falcons would lean on freeman a bit more in these must win situations, but it's hard to give sarkisian the benefit of the doubt

Freeman sure does run hard and his acceleration into the hole is elite I find him to be one of the more unique players in the game. And hes still just 25.

If Coleman is cleared to play we are right back where his stats have been lately, 9-10 pts in standard. I have Drake and Kamara to pick between. If Coleman is playing I might just put Ryan in as my flex instead. Ryan is a safer play as he could get me 15points. 

If Coleman is cleared to play we are right back where his stats have been lately, 9-10 pts in standard. I have Drake and Kamara to pick between. If Coleman is playing I might just put Ryan in as my flex instead. Ryan is a safer play as he could get me 15points. 
Ryan? I might be getting old, but who is Ryan?

Freeman sure does run hard and his acceleration into the hole is elite I find him to be one of the more unique players in the game. And hes still just 25.
Definitely runs hard and leaves it all on the field. Gotta admire his heart. Same time, his style is not real conducive to a long career. He’s had multiple concussions in his career including a couple this season IIANM. I caught the postgame interview with him where he basically said he’s not changing the way he plays concussions be damned.   :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
They've won their last two games by leaning on Freeman.  I'd like to make the assumption of rational coaching, but Sark is a maroon.

Ya I'm really at a lose. Play Freeman in my flex and get the same trash points I was getting or take a chance ugh

As far as Freeman goes, you'll hope for RB1 numbers, expect at least RB2 numbers, but end up with flex worthy numbers.

Rinse and repeat since the bye week with this Sark/Freeman/Coleman combination, and I don't expect anything different this weekend.

As far as Freeman goes, you'll hope for RB1 numbers, expect at least RB2 numbers, but end up with flex worthy numbers.

Rinse and repeat since the bye week with this Sark/Freeman/Coleman combination, and I don't expect anything different this weekend.
Yes exactly. 

Thanks, Conn. Can you please elaborate on your confidence level given that Coleman is back?  I am a bit worried and need some encouragement! Thanks!
The OC might be an idiot, but Freeman is a stud and I'm hoping they were reminded it's smart to lean on him. He's the type of player who can blow up and single-handedly win a championship game, so I'd have to have some really compelling options to bench him. Since my league allows me to start 2-4 RBs, I don't. 

I just can't get past weeks 6-10 and then week 13 all single digit weeks in standard. 
Same here. I have Robert Woods as a flex option. Yet, if Atlanta wants to win they need to feed Freeman the ball. I just don't know if I can trust the coaches to do so. 

They've won their last two games by leaning on Freeman.  I'd like to make the assumption of rational coaching, but Sark is a maroon.
This outcome wasn't impossible to imagine.  But geez, Atlanta.  What were you thinking hiring that OC?

How do you guys feel about him this year? I find myself wanting to go RB/RB from the 10 spot in a 12 team and he's often the next guy up when I pick in the 2nd round. Non-PPR.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while. Should I assume no news is good news?

How do you guys feel about him this year? I find myself wanting to go RB/RB from the 10 spot in a 12 team and he's often the next guy up when I pick in the 2nd round. Non-PPR.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while. Should I assume no news is good news?
Rushes/ touches  went down 3 years in a row. I know he missed some time and I think he will be serviceable but am looking at others around him like Howard and mixon over DF

Imo he has a decent floor but his upside is capped by Coleman. For standard I put him in the same tier as McCaffrey, Howard, Mixon. For what it's worth I just did a big money draft and out of the 12/12 spot went Cook/McCaffrey. Freeman/Howard/Mixon were on the board still. Freeman doesn't excite me so I went upside picks.

Imo he has a decent floor but his upside is capped by Coleman. For standard I put him in the same tier as McCaffrey, Howard, Mixon. For what it's worth I just did a big money draft and out of the 12/12 spot went Cook/McCaffrey. Freeman/Howard/Mixon were on the board still. Freeman doesn't excite me so I went upside picks.
It’s hard when drafting to take the steady veterans over the exciting young guy. I think freeman is exactly that- steady, rb2 guy that will get you something every week but won’t win it alone. While Coleman eats into his work somewhat it’s not going to turn into a 50/50 timeshare or anything. Coleman also is a lot cheaper this year than te last couple so it’s an easy handcuff. If I were picking in that situation I may have taken cmc/cook as well and it could work out big,  but I often have found that I’ve passed on steady vets that would have been better picks. 

Weebs210 said:
He was RB1 in 2015 and RB6 in 2016. That looks like upside to me. I think the question is do you think Falcons offense will bounce back? If you do, Freeman is a steal this year

He was RB1 in 2015 and RB6 in 2016. That looks like upside to me. I think the question is do you think Falcons offense will bounce back? If you do, Freeman is a steal this year
Coleman was drafted in 2015, missed 4 games. Missed two games in 2016. He has also slowly but surely looked better as a runner every year. At best without injuries we are looking at a 65/35 split at worst a 50/50 split. Not someone I want to take with my second round pick personally. I still see him as one of the safest floors in the second though so there is nothing wrong his adp.

I get that narrative but he was still rb13 last year playing 13 games (he left one after 2 carries). Its not like his production fell off a cliff without shanny.
May not have fallen off a cliff without Shanny, but did drop 4 ppg last yr and 7 ppg from '15

ETA: I didn't realize he still finished at rb 13 in ppr

I've seen him slip a few times in mocks to the 3rd round.  At ADP of 18, I don't love him.  But if he slips, I'm happy to take him in the 3rd.  

In the 2nd, I'm targeting CMC/any elite WR's that fall to me/Cook less so now.  But if I'm picking at the end and Freeman's there vs say Mike Evans or Hilton/Howard, I'm happy to have Freeman.  I think Conservatively he gives you 1200-1300 total yards, somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 catches, and if he plays the full season 10 TD's isn't hard to see.  I was honestly down on him to start the off-season, but so is the rest of the world, and he's becoming a value.

Users who are viewing this thread