What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Oliver is the best thing on TV. (4 Viewers)

Dentist said:
TLEF316 said:
Meh. this one just seemed like low hanging fruit to me. Didn't require any original research.
sure, but it's timely which is of value compared to a lot of his pieces which could be done any month or any year
I don't like when he talks sports because I know that I know more on the topic than he does and that takes away from the show for me.

Dentist said:
TLEF316 said:
Meh. this one just seemed like low hanging fruit to me. Didn't require any original research.
sure, but it's timely which is of value compared to a lot of his pieces which could be done any month or any year
I don't like when he talks sports because I know that I know more on the topic than he does and that takes away from the show for me.
His World Cup rant was about the best thing ever.

Dentist said:
TLEF316 said:
Agreed.

Dentist said:
TLEF316 said:
It was covered on Real Sports well before he did it. Just like the NCAA story.

Dentist said:
TLEF316 said:
and see sports guy isn't his target audience... someone out there watching knows more about infrastructure, or any of the topics he covers.

So NCAA and FIFA weren't new or exciting to me, nor were lotteries.... but several of his topics have been things I never thought of, like Drones or the Translators... but people who watch real news more often probably knew about those topics already also.

Dentist said:
TLEF316 said:
and see sports guy isn't his target audience... someone out there watching knows more about infrastructure, or any of the topics he covers.

So NCAA and FIFA weren't new or exciting to me, nor were lotteries.... but several of his topics have been things I never thought of, like Drones or the Translators... but people who watch real news more often probably knew about those topics already also.
I agree but I am not only sports guy, I like him but I just don't get much out of his sports segments plus he was fumbling through it too. Not trying to bring down others that do enjoy his sports stuff, I just enjoy his other stuff more. :shrug:

Dentist said:
TLEF316 said:
I already knew all that and more. It was still awesome.

Dentist said:
TLEF316 said:
I already knew all that and more. It was still awesome.
I get it, you got a man crush, he is pretty good.

I really wanted someone to slap the head of the NCAA silly. The definition of smarmy right there. Good episode all the way around.

i kind of want him to broaden his show's format a bit. it's great that he has a weekly topic but it's entirely too familiar for me already. i'd like him to be a little less rigid in his thinking.

i kind of want him to broaden his show's format a bit. it's great that he has a weekly topic but it's entirely too familiar for me already. i'd like him to be a little less rigid in his thinking.
There's only so much you can do in 30 minutes. I like this format better than the Daily Show or Colbert Report. I like that he spends more time and gets into more detail on a topic than the 5 minute segments they did on those shows. It's like a 60 Minutes segment, but funny. I don't think they should change much, if at all.

There's only so much you can do in 30 minutes. I like this format better than the Daily Show or Colbert Report. I like that he spends more time and gets into more detail on a topic than the 5 minute segments they did on those shows. It's like a 60 Minutes segment, but funny. I don't think they should change much, if at all.
he's under the constraints of 30 minutes a week. i could see him expanding to a full hour and open things up as a result. his format now is barely connected to current events and the news cycle. he can still have that in-depth topic or item but he's free to comment/observe elsewhere.

he's under the constraints of 30 minutes a week. i could see him expanding to a full hour and open things up as a result. his format now is barely connected to current events and the news cycle. he can still have that in-depth topic or item but he's free to comment/observe elsewhere.
You guys do understand that at the heart of it, this show and the daily show are both comedy news shows and not 60 minutes with cursing and hipper stories.

Sometimes, more is not better. I think he's got a format that works for him. :shrug:

You guys do understand that at the heart of it, this show and the daily show are both comedy news shows and not 60 minutes with cursing and hipper stories.
But there are a ton of f-bombs, which adds to the comedy.

you do understand, that 60 minutes is TDS or john Olver without the humor, right?

you do understand, that 60 minutes is TDS or john Olver without the humor, right?
especially since Andy Rooney passed away.

yeah- Rooney brought the funny. hard.

did ya ever notice that they call it 60 minutes, but with commercials it is like 42?

Last edited by a moderator:
He certainly did.

He certainly did.
:goodposting:

I find he is less funny if I am aware of the particulars of the issue beforehand, like the municipal fines (covered during Ferguson)

Snowden episode was brilliant. Except that my DVR killed it about 2 minutes after they started the **** pic stuff so I missed the end. Will have to try to catch it again.

He was pretty tough on Snowden, I thought. I actually didn't come away too impressed with Snowden for some reason I can't really put my finger on.

He was pretty tough on Snowden, I thought. I actually didn't come away too impressed with Snowden for some reason I can't really put my finger on.
He couldn't keep eye contact. Although, I'm guessing he has learned to live looking over his shoulder every 3 seconds and will for the rest of his life. But he didn't come away confident at all. Which is probably to be expected. I actually thought Jon did a great job in the interview. Like better quality than "serious journalists."

He couldn't keep eye contact. Although, I'm guessing he has learned to live looking over his shoulder every 3 seconds and will for the rest of his life. But he didn't come away confident at all. Which is probably to be expected. I actually thought Jon did a great job in the interview. Like better quality than "serious journalists."
Agreed about he eye contact and the quality of the interview.

I think the way Oliver tossed in some things Snowden didn't expect did shake him up a bit and I totally agree about how Snowden has to live his life now being paranoid every few seconds.

I don't know how I would handle something like that so I'm sure it weighs on him very hard especially being away from his family and friends.

He did show a few sides of going along with Oliver and how he was doing the interview by showing(what he could muster up)a sense of humor.

Loved the way Oliver did this though.

Snowden episode was brilliant. Except that my DVR killed it about 2 minutes after they started the **** pic stuff so I missed the end. Will have to try to catch it again.
For those that may have missed the Snowden interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M
Nice.

Yeah, this episode was brilliant in every way. And I love that he managed to take this story and turn into something so stupid yet so interesting to the general public. He's right. The technical stuff and the big words the legal speak and everything else is just making people ignore it all but when you break it down like this it's easy enough to understand that everyone should get it. Remarkable.

For those that may have missed the Snowden interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M
Nice.

Yeah, this episode was brilliant in every way. And I love that he managed to take this story and turn into something so stupid yet so interesting to the general public. He's right. The technical stuff and the big words the legal speak and everything else is just making people ignore it all but when you break it down like this it's easy enough to understand that everyone should get it. Remarkable.
The way he showed Snowden how very few cares or knows who Snowden is was brilliant in that we got to see his reaction and then turning it around showing people get upset about the #### pics and want it stopped and then have Snowden explain that this is going on.

My exact reaction. He asked him some tough, intelligent questions to his face.

What a great piece. I guess it's serving the same function as 60 Minutes or FRONTLINE, so not exactly unprecedented, but it's somehow both sharper and more accessible.

Thought the Snowden piece was excellent. Could tell Snowden was a bit thrown off because Oliver was shutting him down as soon as he started into his "spiel" which, I realize now, can be pretty technical. All of the other interviews I've seen of him let him get into his cadence and start to get into the details of the programs, but Oliver made a great point that the vast majority of people are glazed over at the point. Great job simplifying the argument and having Snowden lay out how the programs can be used in layman's terms.

I thought Snowden came across as sincere. I like the way Oliver framed it - in terms of the complexity of the issues being too much for most Americans to understand, and thus care about.

Fundamentally, this is the approach that makes The Daily Show a source of news for so many people.

seriously that's an amazing blend of some actual questions and commentary and a ton of hilarious ####

this guy is a genius

I thought it was poorly done and poorly executed. You got Snowden and you do that? Worst piece Oliver has put out. That piece didn't do anything to advance the discussion, in fact it hurt it. IMO.

I thought it was poorly done and poorly executed. You got Snowden and you do that? Worst piece Oliver has put out. That piece didn't do anything to advance the discussion, in fact it hurt it. IMO.
Ridiculous.

Best Snowden interview I've seen. The documentary goes over all the technical stuff, but this spelled it out in a way the average person can understand.

I thought it was brilliant. He did as much to advance the consersation as anyone has done, and was damn funny about it as well (which is his job)

Users who are viewing this thread