What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (16 Viewers)

Pulisic's age and health make him likely to not have an issue recovering from this virus should the worst happen, right?    

I am only worried about the worst case scenario of his getting it because I think he has been training near Hudson-Odoi a lot as they are both rehabbing....

Pulisic's age and health make him likely to not have an issue recovering from this virus should the worst happen, right?    

I am only worried about the worst case scenario of his getting it because I think he has been training near Hudson-Odoi a lot as they are both rehabbing....
Just coming to say Pulisic better be OK after CH-O was confirmed to have tested positive. 

I hope they can conclude this quickly and that Cordeiro ends up being the complete fall guy (whether he deserved it or not) and we can get back to worrying about things that matter.
He’s not accepting the fall guy role, explicitly denying he knew of or approved the legal tactic.  In his resignation letter, he takes responsibility for not reviewing the filing, but specifically disclaims responsibility for the content and claims he would not have approved it. 

He’s not accepting the fall guy role, explicitly denying he knew of or approved the legal tactic.  In his resignation letter, he takes responsibility for not reviewing the filing, but specifically disclaims responsibility for the content and claims he would not have approved it. 
I read his statement and honestly I don't think it matters.

If they are able to settle this case quickly and quietly out of court, my guess is that history will remember him as the fall guy, no matter what his true role was.

If things continue to be as messed up as they are, history may decide the problems ran far deeper than just him.

I am leaning towards the latter happening even though I would prefer the former.

Last edited by a moderator:
NewlyRetired said:
I read his statement and honestly I don't think it matters.

If they are able to settle this case quickly and quietly out of court, my guess is that history will remember him as the fall guy, no matter what his true role was.

If things continue to be as messed up as they are, history may decide the problems ran far deeper than just him.

I am leaning towards the latter happening even though I would prefer the former.
It looks like Seyfarth Shaw, USSoccer's law firm in this lawsuit, is also taking the fall for this in part as they've been fired/replaced since the filing earlier this week.  It is no surprise a disaster like this will cause people to go into CYA mode and the finger-pointing will run rampant.  It would be completely expected and normal to me that Cordiero did not review the brief before it was filed. There's really no reason for a CEO to be directly involved in things like micro litigation strategy decisions and reviewing draft briefs.  At the same time, it is appropriate that his head rolls when his legal team ####s up this badly.  Therefore, I suppose my point is that we can believe his statement 100%, while also thinking he should bear the blame.  In fact, that's exactly what he said - that he didn't know the brief would take make this absurd and offensive argument, but also that he is at fault for not reviewing it before it was filed.  I agree that, in the end, his statement probably doesn't matter to anyone, nor should it, and history will judge him harshly for this saga, as is probably fair. 

It looks like Seyfarth Shaw, USSoccer's law firm in this lawsuit, is also taking the fall for this in part as they've been fired/replaced since the filing earlier this week.  It is no surprise a disaster like this will cause people to go into CYA mode and the finger-pointing will run rampant.  It would be completely expected and normal to me that Cordiero did not review the brief before it was filed. There's really no reason for a CEO to be directly involved in things like micro litigation strategy decisions and reviewing draft briefs.  At the same time, it is appropriate that his head rolls when his legal team ####s up this badly.  Therefore, I suppose my point is that we can believe his statement 100%, while also thinking he should bear the blame.  In fact, that's exactly what he said - that he didn't know the brief would take make this absurd and offensive argument, but also that he is at fault for not reviewing it before it was filed.  I agree that, in the end, his statement probably doesn't matter to anyone, nor should it, and history will judge him harshly for this saga, as is probably fair. 
I haven't heard of the general counsel getting let go, though.  And I would expect the GC to review any filing in a case like this.

What kills me is that Seyfarth Shaw was certainly concerned with optics.  They had like 7 female attorneys and one male listed as being on brief.  

Wow, I wasn't expecting any meaningful news for months but something popped today.  One of Arsenal's prospects is striker Falorin Balogun.  He has played for England's youth teams.

The twitter folks are saying he has accepted a call up to the US U18's camp even though he is provisionally tied to England (would need a one time switch).

He is a goal scoring striker.  Here are some highlights posted last August of his youth team play at Arsenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI5Rzzr7p1M

Wow, I wasn't expecting any meaningful news for months but something popped today.  One of Arsenal's prospects is striker Falorin Balogun.  He has played for England's youth teams.

The twitter folks are saying he has accepted a call up to the US U18's camp even though he is provisionally tied to England (would need a one time switch).

He is a goal scoring striker.  Here are some highlights posted last August of his youth team play at Arsenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI5Rzzr7p1M
Jesus, imagine this guy with Uly, Pulisic and Reyna all on the field together...They could call 21 year old Pulisic grandpa :)

It never dawned on me that the virus may scare players from wanting to transfer....

======================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Reggie Cannon admits he's concerned about a potential summer move to Europe: “Yeah,it’s obviously a concern. Being transparent, I want to give Dallas 100% for however long I’m here.But the goal was to be transferred in the summer, but obviously...it’s a tough time for transfers"

It never dawned on me that the virus may scare players from wanting to transfer....

======================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Reggie Cannon admits he's concerned about a potential summer move to Europe: “Yeah,it’s obviously a concern. Being transparent, I want to give Dallas 100% for however long I’m here.But the goal was to be transferred in the summer, but obviously...it’s a tough time for transfers"
In another week they'll want to get the hell out of Dodge.

======================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

In another week they'll want to get the hell out of Dodge.
Another 24 hours.

Nice news if training actually resumes...

Ulysses Llanez will reportedly become the latest American player to begin training with a Bundesliga first team.

Llanez will join Wolfsburg’s first team this coming week for training, German outlet Kicker reported on Sunday. The U.S. Men’s National Team forward has mainly featured for Wolfsburg’s Under-19 team this campaign and is currently out of game action due to the ongoing Coronavirus epidemic hitting around the globe.

He was added to the team’s Europa League roster back in early February, but has not dressed yet for Oliver Glasner’s squad.

The 18-year-old California native has made 16 appearances for Wolfsburg’s U-19 side, scoring 11 goals and registering six assists in just over 1,200 minutes of action. Llanez has yet to feature for Wolfsburg II, but will be given the chance to hopefully make his senior debut for the club if the Bundesliga season finishes.

Rob Stone@RobStoneONFOX

New US Soccer CEO announced at 4 ET
Wilson!

The U.S. Soccer Federation has named longtime sports executive Will Wilson as its next CEO and Secretary General.

Wilson, 50, replaces Dan Flynn, who retired last September after a 19-year stint as the top business executive at the USSF.

"I'm very excited to be joining U.S Soccer," said Wilson. "I have always admired the Federation from afar, and have long felt that the U.S. Soccer crest is one of the best brands in the business. There is nothing like harnessing our nation's support behind our Women's and Men's National Teams, and I see significant upside in our ability to work with our Membership to grow participation levels, increase our commercial business and drive our ability to compete on the field at the highest level.

"U.S. Soccer has an amazing fan base and our supporters are waiting for us to get things back on track both on and off the field. I'm incredibly energized and excited about the work in front of us to continue striving to become America's preeminent sport."

Wilson is most known for having worked for the last eight years as Executive Vice President for Football at Wasserman Media Group, where he was the agent of his nephew, former Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck. But starting in 2008, Wilson spent four years working for MLS and its marketing arm Soccer United Marketing. His final two years he worked as the Executive Vice President of International Business & Special Events for SUM.

Wilson's relationship with MLS commissioner and USSF Board member Don Garber goes even further back, with the two having worked for NFL Europe in the late 1990s. Wilson worked in public relations for the Frankfurt Galaxy and Scottish Claymores before becoming general manager of the Claymores in 1998. He also served in executive roles with the Arena Football League, Champ Car World Series (CART). A fluent Spanish-speaker, Wilson also worked as the managing director of NFL Mexico.

Wilson's experience with MLS and SUM will spark criticism that the USSF is turning to an insider, given the cozy relationship between those three organizations. The advantage is that he knows the business landscape of the sport in the U.S., and will be able to get up to speed quickly.

"We are thrilled Will Wilson is joining U.S. Soccer as our CEO," said U.S. Soccer President Cindy Parlow Cone. "He brings an unrivaled set of experience and expertise to soccer in America. His global perspective, background in marketing and growing sporting events and extensive experience in the sports business will be invaluable in growing soccer at all levels. Soccer is the world's game and Will is the perfect person to help us grow it to America's game."

You guys know more about this than me, but I found this tweet funny:

Gabriel Pirlo @GabePirlo·33m

Sweet Odin's Raven, this checks every box on the conflict-of-interest bingo card.

MLS ✅
SUM ✅
Wasserman ✅

I can't decide if it's more pathologically corrupt or hysterically ballsy.

OTOH, if you think things are already awesome, you def just pooped your pants with happiness.

This one is for the oldies in here.

Former USMNT (and an original Rev from 1996), John DeBrito passed away yesterday.

He came out of the dominant Div 2 Southern Connecticut State teams from the late 80's.

He was only 51 😞

El Floppo said:
Saw a CP tweet or something where he was asked how he was doing, and his response was "ready to go".

So there's that.
makes sense.  We are finally at the point where I can see my avatar play together and we get a once in a life time pandemic.....

This one is for the oldies in here.

Former USMNT (and an original Rev from 1996), John DeBrito passed away yesterday.

He came out of the dominant Div 2 Southern Connecticut State teams from the late 80's.

He was only 51 😞
same age, but no memory of this guy. 

so young... rip.

All German teams have returned to training now.  Season will resume in early May and finish by end of June with all games behind closed doors.

Uly looks like he has joined the first team at Wolfsburg now that training has resumed.

All German teams have returned to training now.  Season will resume in early May and finish by end of June with all games behind closed doors.

Uly looks like he has joined the first team at Wolfsburg now that training has resumed.
Ballsy.  Don't know if it'll work for the other European leagues, especially harder hit nations.  Plus CL play...

blend said:
Really liked this breakdown that Brian Kleiban did of the U20 Players.   Seems to be a lot of speculation about Efra making a one-time switch.  Seems odd that Kleiban would put him in without having some inkling of it . Uly's dad responded in the thread too.  

https://twitter.com/3four3/status/1248276956509925376?s=20
I think there's probably a little smoke there.  After what Mexico did to Jonathan Gonzalez there has to be some concern.  Add to that Efra being good friends with Uly and having been coached by Brian in the past and I wouldn't be shocked if he did switch.

However, if Efra was in that team I think it would need a different 8 in that midfield.  As it sits right now that is a technically gifted midfield but there is absolutely no athleticism there.  I don't know who fits the mold in the current U20 team, but that midfield is screaming for a Jermaine Jones type.

I think there's probably a little smoke there.  After what Mexico did to Jonathan Gonzalez there has to be some concern.  Add to that Efra being good friends with Uly and having been coached by Brian in the past and I wouldn't be shocked if he did switch.

However, if Efra was in that team I think it would need a different 8 in that midfield.  As it sits right now that is a technically gifted midfield but there is absolutely no athleticism there.  I don't know who fits the mold in the current U20 team, but that midfield is screaming for a Jermaine Jones type.
I don't know about Indy Vassilev at the 8 , but Klieban has seen all those kids play and developed a good chunk of them.  Perhaps a player like the FC Dallas kid that turned down Clemson football would have higher athleticism.  I mean.. this was just his ideal XI, I wish he was the coach, but who knows how the Rapids coach feels about these guys. 

I"m hoping the U20 concacaf will be in Bradenton again so I can go watch.  During the last cycle it was awesome watching Mendez and Pomykal etc... 

US shutting down its Developmental Academies.

Not really sure what this means for teams not associated with MLS teams...especially girls teams.
Before the virus hit, I think this was a good solution.   Even the small USL teams have their own academies now.  We were pretty much at the point where we were as getting the most country wide net we have ever had for development.

Of course now I have no idea as you have to think a scary number of the USL teams may not survive financially.

I can't speak for the girls, but there are a ton of the traditional clubs that have always provided the talent.  The women will suffer if the rest of the world catches up, but just like our USL teams, you have to think that many womens teams around the world are going to struggle.

Users who are viewing this thread