What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Strain -- New Show on FX Sunday nights (1 Viewer)

Solid episode. Getting some action now.
next weeks eclipse should be pretty fun to watch
There's another one?
We've only seen a glimpse of the power of no-nose. Blocking the Sun is next.
i was under the impression the show ended during the eclipse and would pick up next week as its happening....i could be wrong
:lmao: Nope that was it. A solar eclipse only lasts 5 minutes or so. :nerd:

This was the first episode that left me wanting more.

I wish some of the vampire lackeys were shown in higher places of government making decisions. That way the lack of response from the authorities could fall into the realm of suspension of disbelief. As is it's just poorly written.
if things get too far out of hand will you be making an appearance? that would be awesome !!!!!!
I like the part where the pest control guy saw vampires underneath the city and then went for a sandwich.

I wish some of the vampire lackeys were shown in higher places of government making decisions. That way the lack of response from the authorities could fall into the realm of suspension of disbelief. As is it's just poorly written.
if things get too far out of hand will you be making an appearance? that would be awesome !!!!!!
I like the part where the pest control guy saw vampires underneath the city and then went for a sandwich.
And the part where Nora sees a monster attack people in her Mom's nursing home. She (more than anyone else there) KNOWS what is going on. Her reaction. . .drag Mom out of there, run home, and go to sleep.

And where Samwise who clearly knows the vampires are dangerous and not to be trusted still goes along with disposing of a body.

And when the rocker's manager sees him sucking the blood out of someone with a six foot tongue and she decides to call a cleaner.

And the part where Nora sees a monster attack people in her Mom's nursing home. She (more than anyone else there) KNOWS what is going on. Her reaction. . .drag Mom out of there, run home, and go to sleep.

And where Samwise who clearly knows the vampires are dangerous and not to be trusted still goes along with disposing of a body.

And when the rocker's manager sees him sucking the blood out of someone with a six foot tongue and she decides to call a cleaner.
The first two....yeah, ridiculous.

The third one though, she didn't see him sucking blood with the face appendage. She found the girl in the tub with blood on her and then called for a cleaner.

I'm really digging this show. Finally caught up last night. I saw that someone posted it's been picked up for season 2. But what are the general reviews of the show? Is it liked or not by the critics? I'm afraid to look ever since I looked up 24: Live Another Day and it told me the ending of the show. :angry:

Awesome. I like it, too bad for those who bailed early.

The only thing that bothers me is the compressed air framing nailer converted to gunpowder to shoot silver nails. Really ? Probably a lot easier to just make silver bullets.
Actually it could be a battery powered framing/roofing nailer.

It seems clear to me that they are building a team to fight the master...the rat guy...the convict...the doctor...the jew ...and the hooded zombie gang

Still watching. Still a agreeing with all criticisms. Still somewhat enjoying it. I do like how they somewhat explain the science behind the"virus" and why things like silver and sunlight work on it.

Curious as to who those vampire looking vampire killer dudes are.

I thought it was a good episode. The pace is quickening. It'll just be interesting to see when the vampires swarm what happens. I am also interested in learning more about the commandos, who they are and what they are doing.

Spanky267 said:
I thought it was a good episode. The pace is quickening. It'll just be interesting to see when the vampires swarm what happens. I am also interested in learning more about the commandos, who they are and what they are doing.
I never read the books, so this is my assumption. They are obviously vampires and since we have seen the head guy (not the master) be a horrible human being, we can probably assume that our commandos may be vampires that were turned long ago. They were "good" human beings and while not soft and cuddly, they are out to kill other vampires and save people. They are too organized to be part of the new vamps obviously, but we really don't know the history of the master post Nazi Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spanky267 said:
I never read the books, so this is my assumption. They are obviously vampires and since we have seen the head guy (not the master) be a horrible human being, we can probably assume that our commandos may be vampires that were turned long ago. They were "good" human beings and while not soft and cuddly, they are out to kill other vampires and save people. They are too organized to be part of the new vamps obviously, but we really don't know the history of the master post Nazi Germany.
I'll be pumped if Wesley Snipes shows up.

Lots of background to cover...surprised the "commandos" showed up so early, but the pace will definitely pick up now...

Spanky267 said:
I'll be pumped if Wesley Snipes shows up.
It would be awesome if Blade made a cameo. But I dont think some of his gadgets would be as effective against these vampires. He might have to use his sword a little more often.

Lots of background to cover...surprised the "commandos" showed up so early, but the pace will definitely pick up now...
I didnt want to say who the "commandos" are. But they have arrived a little early. I'd really like to see more on the history of all of these vampires, like the master, eichorst and the commandos. Would be interesting to know what they have been doing all of these years.

Also Eichhorst is interesting to me. If he has a stinger, then how is he able to speak? They havent really covered that part. Also how is he more independent/smart compared to the other vamps we've seen so far?

TV is still working. Still dont understand why there isnt widespread panic. There have been attacks in the streets, at nursing homes, neighborhoods wiped out. Dont these people have friends and families that know they are missing.

Also, WTF kind of plan was that to track Eichorst.

Spanky267 said:
I didnt want to say who the "commandos" are. But they have arrived a little early. I'd really like to see more on the history of all of these vampires, like the master, eichorst and the commandos. Would be interesting to know what they have been doing all of these years.

Also Eichhorst is interesting to me. If he has a stinger, then how is he able to speak? They havent really covered that part. Also how is he more independent/smart compared to the other vamps we've seen so far?
Book covers how Eichorst speaks, but I doubt it will ever be covered in the show so I'll spill below in the spoiler box:

He doesn't speak. He uses telepathy (all vampires have this) and lipsyncs.

TV is still working. Still dont understand why there isnt widespread panic. There have been attacks in the streets, at nursing homes, neighborhoods wiped out. Dont these people have friends and families that know they are missing.

Yeah these are the major plot holes. Internet and Cell Phones may be spotty but TV is still broadcasting. I guess the argument could be made that Palmer is pulling strings and controlling the media and what is on TV. But what about the hundreds if not thousands of people who are now not showing up to work/school. Fet's government office has obviously been effected and nothing. While I still give the show a pass these things are troublesome. I just cant imagine New Yorkers mindlessly going about their daily business if things like those portrayed in the show are going on. Especially after the eclipse.

Spanky267 said:

Book covers how Eichorst speaks, but I doubt it will ever be covered in the show so I'll spill below in the spoiler box:

He doesn't speak. He uses telepathy (all vampires have this) and lipsyncs.
I figured it was that. But I didnt know if or when they would cover it. It still doesnt explain why he seems to have a lot more higher level intelligence than the other vampires.

I like how cell service is down right after lawyer Joan's husband got off a cell call.
Still on for when Eph's wife's conveniently ratty boyfriend called the authorities to turn him in. Guess he had the only phone capable of calling the police.

I like how cell service is down right after lawyer Joan's husband got off a cell call.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the show and pretty much have been all along, but even I can't justify that. That was just :loco:
Where was he anyway? Hotel? Bar? His hookup apartment that looked like a bar?
It was a country club. Probably went to see some buddies and get a few drinks in him before going home to his shrew of a wife.

Yeah these are the major plot holes. Internet and Cell Phones may be spotty but TV is still broadcasting. I guess the argument could be made that Palmer is pulling strings and controlling the media and what is on TV. But what about the hundreds if not thousands of people who are now not showing up to work/school. Fet's government office has obviously been effected and nothing. While I still give the show a pass these things are troublesome. I just cant imagine New Yorkers mindlessly going about their daily business if things like those portrayed in the show are going on. Especially after the eclipse.
Yeah, seriously. You have people being murdered in the streets by subhuman monsters and everybody just kind of goes about their business. If this were set in Detroit that might make sense, but not in New York.

I dig this show so far, even though some of the plot holes are big enough to drive a van with a 9 foot box of dirt through.

still want to see how rat guy plays into this.

I dig this show so far, even though some of the plot holes are big enough to drive a van with a 9 foot box of dirt through.

still want to see how rat guy plays into this.
I liken it to the show 24. It's a fun ride and I'll just roll with it. I'm not gonna take things too seriously.

If I did, I'd be pulling my hair out at the locations they keep saying they are at. Most of them aren't even close to looking like where they say they are.

Some of the creepy scenes, like rat guy in the sewer or the recent one with the old man in the basement are scarier than almost anything on the Walking Dead. I was laying down watching and when the old man dropped his heart medicine I actually sat up really quick. Great scene. Since I don't know the books, I thought he might bite it there. It would have been a huge shock since I'm sure he sticks around for a long time.

Still on for when Eph's wife's conveniently ratty boyfriend called the authorities to turn him in. Guess he had the only phone capable of calling the police.
I thought that was before the whole Internet outage thing went full bore, but maybe not.

Yeah. Who are these guys!?!?
They have del Toro's handprints all over them. I liken them to the "good vampires" in Blade II. Or maybe they're like the vampire fifth column.

I thought that was before the whole Internet outage thing went full bore, but maybe not.

They have del Toro's handprints all over them. I liken them to the "good vampires" in Blade II. Or maybe they're like the vampire fifth column.
aren't they just goth teenagers?

aren't they just goth teenagers?
http://rebloggy.com/post/my-gif-photoset-south-park-edgar-allan-poe-mike-makowski-dawn-of-the-posers-pete/65083303775

I believe the hooded vampire dudes are ones that hate the master for some reason and they want to do good by the humans. Maybe they like having sex with humans. They could probably hump multiple women at one time from 20 feet away.

so i was talking to a dude who read the books...he said this ride is just getting warmed up...plenty of things are gonna go down. Also saw that the first Strain comic book is selling for about a 150.00 bucks ...wow

The scene did drag on, but I liked that they are starting to ramp up the action. The rat killer being incorporated brought the story lines together which I like. Full speed ahead now. Killing off Rudy was great as well.

that last episode was pretty bad
It was a 11-minute scene that they stretched to a full show. Why didn't the clerk call the cops?
They did try to call the cops. But they kept getting a recorded message. The friend of the hacker girl tried calling. I thought that in general it was a good episode. We learned alot more about the vampires than we had known before. Also I'm not disturbed that Samwise Gamgee got killed. Nice to see Vasily Fet in the fold and he is forging a bond with Setrakian. It looks like NYC is going to get over run very soon.

I was half paying attention last night when I watched. Did they explain biologically how the vampires communicate with their head host and are now becoming smarter?

I was half paying attention last night when I watched. Did they explain biologically how the vampires communicate with their head host and are now becoming smarter?
Sort of. They mentioned the telepathic link between the master and the vampires. But that was about it.

that last episode was pretty bad
It was a 11-minute scene that they stretched to a full show. Why didn't the clerk call the cops?
They did try to call the cops. But they kept getting a recorded message. The friend of the hacker girl tried calling. I thought that in general it was a good episode. We learned alot more about the vampires than we had known before. Also I'm not disturbed that Samwise Gamgee got killed. Nice to see Vasily Fet in the fold and he is forging a bond with Setrakian. It looks like NYC is going to get over run very soon.
I liked the episode. Sure, it was a bit of a filler but I don't need every episode to advance the storyline. Not sure why they needed to get the gas to blow the place up but made for a good laugh when rat killer probably got Premium for the first time. I would have preferred seeing Rudy turn though.

Users who are viewing this thread