What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (9 Viewers)

His ACL tear occurred with no contact, which means it would probably have blown at some point even if he was just working out, getting ready for the combine.
That's... not really how ACLs work. It's not like some people just have faulty ACLs that are ticking time bombs, destined to explode at some point, it's only a question of when.

70% of ACL tears at the NFL level are non-contact injuries. I'm not sure what percentage occur during workouts or practices, but it's going to be a remarkably small number. But when an NFL player is going full-speed during a game, contorting his body in unnatural ways and putting unnatural amounts of stress and pressure on his joints, sometimes perfectly healthy, structurally sound ligaments are going to tear.

His ACL tear occurred with no contact, which means it would probably have blown at some point even if he was just working out, getting ready for the combine.
That's... not really how ACLs work. It's not like some people just have faulty ACLs that are ticking time bombs, destined to explode at some point, it's only a question of when.

70% of ACL tears at the NFL level are non-contact injuries. I'm not sure what percentage occur during workouts or practices, but it's going to be a remarkably small number. But when an NFL player is going full-speed during a game, contorting his body in unnatural ways and putting unnatural amounts of stress and pressure on his joints, sometimes perfectly healthy, structurally sound ligaments are going to tear.
I disagree. There is no question that some people's ligaments are much more susceptible to tearing than others. There was nothing unnatural about the run on which his ligament blew and there were no contortions. It just went.

I disagree. There is no question that some people's ligaments are much more susceptible to tearing than others. There was nothing unnatural about the run on which his ligament blew and there were no contortions. It just went.
I'm no doctor, but this sounds like confirmation bias.

It seems that when someone's ACL tears when it "shouldn't" (i.e. no contact) he can be labeled as having ligaments that "are more susceptible to tearing." Giving this medical theory 100% accuracy in hindsight.

I think the only way to know would be if they tested ligaments before tears, labeled some ligaments "more susceptible to tearing" and then see which ones eventually tore without contact. I don't know if that has been done or is even possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only comfort is seeing how players bounce back from ACLs to play at normal levels (eg, Charles). But it sucks to work hard to have traded for what is likely the 1.01 to have this happen. Going to be hard to hear the hype on everyone for 5 months and stick to Gurley.
Are we sure that he will now come out this upcoming year? Would he go back to Georgia?

I think he should and will still come out, but you never know...
No way he returns to school.

Again, though, 70% of ACL tears at the NFL level are non-contact injuries. If we subscribe to "Ticking Time Bomb Theory", how do we explain the fact that such a low percentage of those tears happen outside of actual NFL games? Including preseason and postseason, you're looking at a maximum of 25 games a year (assuming you play in the HoF game in the preseason, don't rest during the final week of the preseason, make the playoffs as a 3-6 seed, and reach the Super Bowl). How much time do they spend working out, getting into shape, and practicing? How many two-a-days do they participate in during the summer? How do we account for the fact that such a disproportionately large number of non-contact ACL tears occur during actual games vs. during all other activities combined?

Danario Alexander is living proof of that.

With the injury he may slide in the NFL draft and land with a good team so it may turn out to be a blessing. (pipe dream)
While this is certainly a possibility, I think this injury increases the odds he ends up on a team that already has an established RB.

As an example, let's say he slips past the 20th pick, which is totally plausible now. He could get paired with somebody like Charles, Ellington, Hyde, McCoy, Vereen, or Murray (obviously each of these situations would be different). One of those teams might look at him and say, here's a top 10 talent. There is nobody at this spot that can give us this kind of upside. We'll take a long term view on our ROI. Next thing you know the first 2/3 years of his career are in RBBC or worse. (e.g. Larry Johnson/Priest Holmes, Steven Jackson/Marshall Faulk, Jonathan Stewart/DeAngelo Williams)

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
With the injury he may slide in the NFL draft and land with a good team so it may turn out to be a blessing. (pipe dream)
While this is certainly a possibility, I think this injury increases the odds he ends up on a team that already has an established RB.

As an example, let's say he slips past the 20th pick, which is totally plausible now. He could get paired with somebody like Charles, Ellington, Hyde, McCoy, Vereen, or Murray (obviously each of these situations would be different). One of those teams might look at him and say, here's a top 10 talent. There is nobody at this spot that can give us this kind of upside. We'll take a long term view on our ROI. Next thing you know the first 2/3 years of his career are in RBBC or worse. (e.g. Larry Johnson/Priest Holmes, Steven Jackson/Marshall Faulk, Jonathan Stewart/DeAngelo Williams)
Or some RB-needy team will pay to move into late round 1 to take him.

So back to your initial point: He tore his ACL because he signed some autographs and not because he was playing football, right?

What about Seattle? I keep hearing everyone talking about Gordon going to Seattle, but why not Gurley? Gurley is more similar to Lynch than Gordon is. They'd be alright with Turbin and Michael in the short term. If Gurley falls to them, this injury could be the greatest thing that ever happened to Seattle and Gurley's career.

What about Seattle? I keep hearing everyone talking about Gordon going to Seattle, but why not Gurley? Gurley is more similar to Lynch than Gordon is. They'd be alright with Turbin and Michael in the short term. If Gurley falls to them, this injury could be the greatest thing that ever happened to Seattle and Gurley's career.
I just don't see the Seahawks going that route. They've got a 2012 4th in Turbin, and a 2013 2nd in Michael. They are dying for playmakers at the WR and TE position IMO. It would be pretty hard to pass up on Parker/White/Algohor/Strong/Funchess given what they are trotting out there right now.

Maybe, but RB is an increasingly devalued position as it is.

Like I said earlier, I just think it increases the odds of that happening. Its also possible he falls right in the lap of the Broncos or the Colts.

Man, this injury really sucks. It would have been great to see exactly where a healthy Gurley went in this draft, not to mention the offseason buildup. This is just enough to cloud his prospects, draft position and dynasty value.

Gurley is still primed to become a beast in the NFL despite this. It may take a bit longer now unfortunately. This injury isn't career threatening and he is still going to be only 21 when he enter the NFL. If he's a fast healer, youth is on his side here, he could very well play next season and rather early. The draft itself is still 6 months away. The season is 10 months away. That's a lot of time and other have recovered in a similar or shorter time frame. As far as his dynasty value I think this means he is no longer the consensus #1 pick. It's probably 50/50 in standard leagues and lower in PPR leagues but he still has a solid chance to be the top player taken IMO. A lot will depend on who goes where of course.

Before this last Saturday I had planned on taking Gurley with the #1 overall pick I SHOULD have in my dynasty league and now I plan on using that pick on.......... Todd Gurley.

Only thing that has changed is it might take him a year to get completely healthy but the dude is just a stud.

I also agree he might fall to a good team late in the first now (I am calling Baltimore)

However if Gordon goes to a lands in a great situation for a rookie rb it might be a little more difficult now.

Cheesedawg said:
Adam Harstad said:
Cheesedawg said:

These guys get banged up a ton and aren't getting MRIs every week to see where their body stands. They also probably don't report every single "injury" that actually occurs.

There are numerous impacts to the knees occur that the common fan with the naked eye doesn't see as dangerous to the knee. Sometimes it's just a matter of how many such impacts will it take to cause an actual tear as each impact may degrade the ligament over time.

Here is an example: http://www.gfycat.com/IgnorantRaggedAmericanriverotter

And another: https://twitter.com/lifesyourcup/status/484402403718860800

I'll draft him wherever I can in rookie drafts, 1st pick or wherever.

NFL draft, I have to think his lowest draft spot would be 1st pick of the 2nd round--my team.

steveski said:
Cheesedawg said:
Adam Harstad said:
Cheesedawg said:

So back to your initial point: He tore his ACL because he signed some autographs and not because he was playing football, right?
Infer whatever you would like. I said nothing of the kind. Thanks for stalking though. See you in another thread soon!

Cheesedawg said:
Adam Harstad said:
Cheesedawg said:

These guys get banged up a ton and aren't getting MRIs every week to see where their body stands. They also probably don't report every single "injury" that actually occurs.

There are numerous impacts to the knees occur that the common fan with the naked eye doesn't see as dangerous to the knee. Sometimes it's just a matter of how many such impacts will it take to cause an actual tear as each impact may degrade the ligament over time.

Here is an example: http://www.gfycat.com/IgnorantRaggedAmericanriverotter

And another: https://twitter.com/lifesyourcup/status/484402403718860800
If they suffer a partial ligament tear, it is medically called a "sprain". There is internal bleeding, swelling, and stiffness accordingly. I don't believe those injuries are just ignored and the player just pushes through it. Especially if it is the ACL, they will miss time with a sprain. A ligament which has been partially torn, by definition, is closer to a full tear and may take less of an incident to generate that as a final result. And then there are the numerous examples of, as pointed out appropriately earlier, Danario Alexander. A pre-disposition to a torn ligament is the obvious supposition in a person like that.

I'm not a doctor but am well-versed in sports injuries. How does someone get Jene Bramel to come to a thread and rescue all involved with more officially educated information?

He is not going in the first round. I am guessing 3rd.

highly doubt that. ACL injuries, especially for young players, just aren't a big deal anymore. Everything i've heard is that it's a standard ACL tear and not a complete knee thrashing where he tore everything.

He'll still go in the 1st - early 2nd as long as his rehab is looking good come draft time.

highly doubt that. ACL injuries, especially for young players, just aren't a big deal anymore. Everything i've heard is that it's a standard ACL tear and not a complete knee thrashing where he tore everything.

He'll still go in the 1st - early 2nd as long as his rehab is looking good come draft time.
Just can't see a team taking a player who in all likelihood won't be playing his rookie year. I guess there is precedent for a RB when the bills took Willis McGhee in the first several years back.

I have not seen a back like Gurley since Adrian Peterson. Shame he has had the injury bug the last couple of years.

Just can't see a team taking a player who in all likelihood won't be playing his rookie year. I guess there is precedent for a RB when the bills took Willis McGhee in the first several years back.

I have not seen a back like Gurley since Adrian Peterson. Shame he has had the injury bug the last couple of years.
The likelihood that he plays next year is very good. It's just a matter of when. The season is 10 months away.

This doesn't change my stance. I'm still taking Gurley at the likely 1.01.

If for some reason I do get swayed and go Gordon, I hope there is a enough skepticism that I could grab Gurley at 1.03 (it looks like I'll have that pick as well since I stacked up on 2015 picks). Doubt I'd take that risk though.

Raiders, top of the 2nd.

I could also see the Panthers drafting him in the 2nd round and letting him wait out the Stewart/Williams mess in 2015.

Kitrick Taylor said:

I get what you are saying but I disagree, IIRC both Murray and Vereen are UFAs for example then there's Indy and the Giants who could use his skill set and I don't believe either of these teams use a RBBC.

Kitrick Taylor said:
identikit said:
Kitrick Taylor said:

Maybe, but RB is an increasingly devalued position as it is.

Like I said earlier, I just think it increases the odds of that happening. Its also possible he falls right in the lap of the Broncos or the Colts.
I can see this as well.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. still believes Georgia junior RB Todd Gurley (ACL) "can be taken fairly high in the 2015 NFL draft relative to other running backs"
"I believe Gurley has a chance to go somewhere in Round 2 or early in Round 3," Kiper wrote. "We have seen players like Tank Carradine and Ryan Broyles suffer similar knee injuries late in the season and still land in Round 2 in recent years, and we also saw Dominique Easley land in Round 1 last season off a September injury." Kiper believes Gurley will recover quickly and could be moving around fairly well at the combine in late February. He also thinks that the runner could be fully healed in time to take part in an August training camp. Needless to say, the analyst expects Gurley to contribute to an NFL team in 2015. "If Gurley lands somewhere in Round 2, it would still make him one of the top two or three running backs drafted -- again, a strong compliment to his talent," Kiper wrote.

Source: ESPN Insider
Nov 21 - 6:44 PM

Rotoworld:

Georgia head coach Mark Richt said during a recent radio show that he expected junior RB Todd Gurley to be a top pick "in this draft."

Richt didn't predict just how high he expected Gurley to go. It's hard to know whether the coach is being optimistic for his player's sake, or if he's received information from the NFL indicating that Gurley's stock hasn't fallen much despite his torn ACL. For what it's worth, former NFL scout John Middlekauff cited league sources in a report earlier this month saying Gurley wouldn't fall out of the first-round.

Source: Macon Telegraph
Dec 14 - 6:03 PM

I've been watching some of the WR's in the 2015 class and am starting to wonder how far Gurley will fall in rookie drafts, especially in 1 RB leagues.

I won't be surprised if he's going 1.5 or 1.6.

What wrs would jump him other than Cooper? Maybe Parker but Id say a better chance that Coleman jumps him than any pther wr.

So many people are stacked at WR as well (like me). If Gordon goes 1.01 I am likely going Gurley with the second pick in our dynasty. .

I've been watching some of the WR's in the 2015 class and am starting to wonder how far Gurley will fall in rookie drafts, especially in 1 RB leagues.

I won't be surprised if he's going 1.5 or 1.6.
If I had the 1.02 pick and he was available, I'd take him there. I'd be surprised if, in PPRs, if he lasted to the 1.05 pick. I just don't see 4 WRs or Gordon and 3 WRs ahead of him.

I hopefully will have the #1 dynasty rookie pick (lottery style, I will have 1 or 2) and am planning on taking Gordon as long as he goes to a decent spot but if Gurley goes to a great landing spot and Gordon goes to a less than desired spot I wont hesitate taking Gurley.

That dude is a beast and young enough that the injury shouldn't be that bid of a deal in the future.

If Gurley went to SD and Gordon went to Minny, NYJ or Balt, it would be a close choice

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs

Georgia RB Todd Gurley "runs high but shows good vision and strength on inside runs, and he rolls over would-be tacklers when he gets into space," wrote ESPN's Steve Muench.

"He's nothing close to a one-dimensional power back, either," Muench wrote. "He reportedly ran the 40 in the low 4.4s during the 2014 offseason, and it's not just track speed. He has the impressive ability to turn on the jets and pull away when he gets a seam -- whether it's on a carry, after the catch or returning kickoffs. While he's not an ankle-breaker when he gets to the open field, he makes safeties miss with subtle moves that don't cause him to lose much momentum. Plus, he catches the ball well, he's dangerous after the catch, and he has all the tools to develop into an effective pass-blocker." Muench believes the Colts, Seahawks, Patriots, Jaguars and Vikings are all fits for Gurley.

Feb 10 - 10:57 PM

Rotoworld:

Georgia RB Todd Gurley is "a top-15 type of talent, but his durability is a major concern when projecting his long-term success in the NFL," ESPN's Todd McShay believes.

"He suffered a season-ending ACL tear in November, and prior to that had missed three games in 2013 due to an ankle injury that clearly bothered him even after he returned to the field," McShay wrote. "He runs behind his pads and usually delivers the blow, but he does take some heavy body blows when he fails to dip his shoulder before contact. The good news: He finished his college career with just 555 carries." We rank Gurley as the No. 1 RB in the class. The 6-foot-1, 236-pounder is one of the most physically gifted backs to enter the NFL in the last decade, combining outstanding vision, footwork, speed and power. He's fast enough to hit home runs, powerful enough to run through arm tackles, and skilled enough to wait on his blockers when a screen is called. Gurley averaged 6.4 yards per run in college.

Feb 18 - 4:00 PM

Runs high is lazy analysis of Gurley. He lowers his pad level before contact and anticipats contact as well as anyone. He regularly runs through tackles because of his ability to get small and create leverage. I guess because he's 6'2" he runs high, though.

Rotoworld:

Georgia RB Todd Gurley arrived at the Combine weighing 222 lbs at 6'0 5/8".

Gurley will not participate in a large portion of the Combine due to his mending torn ACL, but that likely did not prevent him from preparing for the event. Gurley has the talent to be a foundation back in the NFL.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Feb 19 - 10:39 AM

Users who are viewing this thread