What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (11 Viewers)

I actually lost in the semis last week with Gurley. Dominated all year and blow everyone out this week. Only 3rd place to show for it. So pissed. 
I was lucky enough to take down the number 1 seed with a Gurley/Leveon combo last week.  I have a chance to beat him again this week in another league if Leveon and Bryant score 37 points ppr.

I was offered Gurley and 2.7 for TY Hilton in the preseason.  Took it, even though I wasn't a Gurley fan.  I was rebuilding, figured I could flip him if he showed something.  He has carried a rag tag bunch (J. White, Bulkhead, Drake, JuJu, Diggs, Woods, E. Engram) to the championship.

[SIZE=14pt]Todd Gurley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Birthday - August 3, 1994. He will just turn 21 for the 2015 NFL season[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Rivals 4 star recruit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]2012: 222 attempts for 1,385 yards 6.2 17 TD, 16 rec for 117 yards 0 TD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]2013: 165 attempts for 989 yards 6.0 10 TD, 37 rec for 441 yards 6 TD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Size - 6’1 195 out of HS, 6’1 218 in 2012, 6’1 232 in 2013. Gurley has a strong upper body, which allows him to throw defenders away, but what makes him elite is his huge lower body. It generates all of his power and makes it tough for would be tacklers to wrap him up all the way around his lower half.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Speed - Gurley has good speed for a player his size. I suspect his speed is 4.5 flat with a chance to be in the high 4.4's. He was a faster football player in 2012 vs 2013, but he put up significant weight during his time at Georgia and it’s slowing him down, especially his long speed. In 2011, he ran a 10.70 100 meter dash. His acceleration is good and I would say better than his speed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Power – Uses his stiff arm well to not only distance himself from defenders or push them away, but also shoving defenders to the ground. Gurley is a very powerful runner than will punish a defender and makes defensive backs weary to come up in run support. Wears down defenses and gashes them late in games. His size and power is so great that defenders literally bounce off of him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Elusiveness – Does a really good job of setting up defenders by using the “dead leg” to make decisive cuts. For such a big RB, he is good at getting skinny to sneak by defenders. Has a good jump cut near the LOS that gets him past defenders and quickly into cutback lanes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Vision – This is his biggest weakness so far,albeit a small one. He needs to become a more patient runner and wait for his blocks. At times, he is missing huge cutback lanes because he’s in too big of a hurry and doesn't allow for things to develop. Normally this happens when he is tired or he bounces outside too quickly. Overall, his vision is above average and he reads his blocks well most of the time. He has a nose for the end zone and finds a way to get in. Gurley does a good job of changing his running angle at the second level to move away from defenders to gain extra yardage.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Finishing runs – He isn’t afraid to sacrifice his body near the goal line and is determined to get into the end zone. He lowers his shoulder near the end of runs to blast into defenders to gain yardage. Gurley can make subtle cuts while taking on impact from defenders that allows him to gain yardage other running backs cannot. This is tough to do but speaks to his ability to keep his balance. However, I see many runs when he gets to the second level and goes down easier than he should due to his athletic ability. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Hands – Very smooth snagging the ball out of the air and should be a common occurrence at the next level.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Blocking – Gurley has the size and power to be a good pass protector. However, right now he doesn’t attack defenders as much as he should. Assignment wise, he’s been correct, but he just needs to improve his aggressiveness here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Injuries – Gurley missed 3 games due to an ankle injury he suffered vs LSU and wasn’t 100% for the last 6 games he played in 2013. If you watched the 2nd half vs Florida(his 1st game back from the injury), Gurley was completely gas and looked like a shadow of his former self.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Overall- Todd Gurley is the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. He has a freakish size/speed combination but also has a great feel for the position. He is a determined runner with a nose for the end zone, but also has soft hands. If Gurley had 4.4 flat speed and no injury history he would be an almost perfect prospect. My only worry with Gurley is he gets too big, loses his explosiveness and the injuries pile up.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Round projection- 1st round NFL pick[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Comparison- Ricky Williams and Larry Johnson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]FF – Todd Gurley is my current RB2 in dynasty leagues behind Lesean McCoy. Gurley is an unbelievable prospect that does everything good and is elite in areas as well. Do whatever you can to acquire him and enjoy the ride.[/SIZE]
"Best RB prospect since AP"......just proved it

I targeted Gurley in EVERY dynasty league this summer and got him for a song in each. At the time I was the laughing stock and told I "over-paid".......now I just say show me the $$ with three championships out of four leagues and I have the hottest back for next year as well. 

Classic case of people giving up on real talent too soon, and not seeing that it was the Coach, not the player that was the issue. 

P.S. as an added bonus got myself a never worn, certified signed Gurley jersey in the summer for $90 bucks when people were dumping his gear. That Jersey will be now put in glass on the wall to remember a great season. 

P.P.S. Can't wait to see the offers I'll be turning down for Gurley this summer. People saying it was a "fluke" and he will "revert to the mean",. No way he goes anywhere but in my line-up in 2018! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Trading just opened back up in one of my dynasty leagues and got my first offer for him:

Kamara, Arob, Hunter Henry for Gurley, Pierre Garcon, Torrey Smith

That's not awful. I don't really need a TE (Kelce, OJ Howard) but I do like Henry and think Arob has a decent chance at bouncing back. Passing for now but thought it was decent enough for sure.  

Was offered gurley and arob in the off season for Julio in the one dyno i didnt own gurley in. Decided I didnt wanna be over exposed after going thru a whole season in another league where I have Arob and Gurley and they let me down a lot. So I passed. Whoops. Won the title anyway, but still...

I targeted Gurley in EVERY dynasty league this summer and got him for a song in each. At the time I was the laughing stock and told I "over-paid".......now I just say show me the $$ with three championships out of four leagues and I have the hottest back for next year as well. 

Classic case of people giving up on real talent too soon, and not seeing that it was the Coach, not the player that was the issue. 

P.S. as an added bonus got myself a never worn, certified signed Gurley jersey in the summer for $90 bucks when people were dumping his gear. That Jersey will be now put in glass on the wall to remember a great season. 

P.P.S. Can't wait to see the offers I'll be turning down for Gurley this summer. People saying it was a "fluke" and he will "revert to the mean",. No way he goes anywhere but in my line-up in 2018! 
Allen Robinson and a 4th will be awful tempting though....

Or maybe Tyreek Hill.

McVay hints that there will be Rams starters “who won’t play at all” on Sunday. @CVRamsClub

7:10 PM · Dec 26, 2017

Tex

leftcoastguy7 said:
I agree that this was me. 

That said, does anyone else fit this mold for the upcoming year?
Amari Cooper. 

His ankle-snapping TD this week vs Philly is all you need to see. 

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
Not many have close to Gurley's talent.

That said, I think Derrick Henry is definitely being held back by Mularkey's Murray fetish.  Maybe Joe Mixon flourishes under a different coach but Dalton could continue to hold things back there.
I like D. Henry as a target. 

Some other guys I like to see an improvement next year would be:

Andrew Luck-This guy can be gotten so cheap this summer

D. Carr-See above 

M. Mariota

J. Howard-Does not get credit for his production given his team 

J Ajayi-Unless he blows up in the playoffs this guy will be a value. Look for big things next year 

C. Hyde-Chances are huge he moves to a better situation, if not a off-season with the nex QB will be big. continues to be undervalued 

J. Nelson-This guy has value all over him. People will write him off as old, but with Rodgers back this guy will be a nice steal for cheap 

M. Evans-Nice trade target

S. Diggs-Nice trade target

These are just guys off the top of my head. Look at the production for the last two years, and look for players that produced in the past and had a bad 2017. Then find players who's production was tied to issues other then themselves (coaching issues, injuries to players round them, etc.). Fantasy football owners have short memories and are quick to throw our older quality players after one year. 

Hankmoody said:
Allen Robinson and a 4th will be awful tempting though....

Or maybe Tyreek Hill.
Hmmmm...seems to me my Robinson offer was pretty on point given he has had ONE good year and three bad ones in the last 4. Maybe I know what I'm talking about? 

Rams exercised RB Todd Gurley's fifth-year team option for 2019.

After contending for the league's MVP award last season, Gurley is now set to make roughly $9.63 million in what will be the final year of his rookie contract in 2019. A prodigious talent freed from Jeff Fisher's anti-offense, 24-year-old (in August) Gurley should have another monster campaign in 2018.

Related: Marcus Peters

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Apr 24 - 1:56 PM

Todd Gurley rushed for 108 yards on 23 carries and hauled in 3-of-5 targets for 39 yards and one touchdown in the Rams' Week 1 win over the Raiders.

The Rams' offense understandably started slow as no starters played at any point in the preseason. Gurley still found a way to produce, catching a 19-yard shovel pass from Jared Goff in the first quarter for his only score of the night. Los Angeles eventually fed him down the stretch, constantly putting the rock in his belly and allowing him to ice the game. With rookie John Kelly inactive, backup RB Malcolm Brown (1-5) was the only other running back to see even a single carry. It's a tremendous start for those who drafted Gurley No. 1 overall.

Sep 11 - 1:43 AM

It was painful watching McVay dialing up pass plays on 1st and 2nd last night late in the 4th and not giving this guy the ball.  Losing by less than 3 points being the second highest scoring team this week.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Very happy I landed the #1 pick this year.  Even though I'm 3-2 this season, I'm in 3rd place (2nd highest scoring team and 2nd most points scored against) and have Ingram back now.  Have an awesome tandem going forward.  

Very happy I landed the #1 pick this year.  Even though I'm 3-2 this season, I'm in 3rd place (2nd highest scoring team and 2nd most points scored against) and have Ingram back now.  Have an awesome tandem going forward.  
I have the exact same story - including 3-2 record, and Ingram. 

:o  

Todd Gurley rushed 28 times for 208 yards and a pair of touchdowns in the Rams' Week 6 win over the Broncos, adding two receptions for 17 additional yards.

One week after Isaiah Crowell demolished the Broncos' crumbling run defense, Gurley wrecked it for a new career high in rushing yards. Gurley was ripping chunk gains essentially every time he touched the ball, averaging 7.42 yards per carry. For the season, Gurley's YPC now rests at 4.82, while he's scored 11 total touchdowns, putting him on pace for 29. Gurley should run all over the 49ers, who will be playing on a short week, in Week 7.

Oct 14 - 7:22 PM

Users who are viewing this thread