Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

6 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Lost to Gurley in one league for semi. Lost another this week most likely against Gurley in championship. He will haunt my dreams.

I was actually thinking, “well at least he got his 180 yard game out of the way last week “

:doh: 

The one nice thing about facing Gurley  is that it made zero difference what one up I started today. :rolleyes: 

3 hours ago, flapgreen said:

So freaking typical. I get screwed out of the playoffs per usual while having the top RB and qb on the season. Gurley proceeds to win every other fantasy owner in existence who owned him a championship. I could have the top 10 scoring players on the season and still not win. Same ####. Different year for me. 

You are the most miserable person I’ve ever seen. 

3 minutes ago, mr roboto said:

You are the most miserable person I’ve ever seen. 

Eagles fans, amirite? ;) 

Is he the consensus 1.01 next year? Seems like he can catch and they're intent on getting him the ball. 

Is Elliott really better as a runner? Is Bell? Now that they have a different situation going forward, I don't think so.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Is he the consensus 1.01 next year? Seems like he can catch and they're intent on getting him the ball. 

Is Elliott really better as a runner? Is Bell? Now that they have a different situation going forward, I don't think so.  

He looks as good as any of them, David Johnson too. All of a sudden there's a few bona fide stud RBs out there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Now that he's two years removed from the ACL, combined with his age, he has the least risk factors AND the best offense/coaching situation imo. He has to be the #1 RB at least. If not 1.01 pick period. 

Bell has the drug stuff. It doesn't worry me much but it's there. Impending FA, Ben retiring soon, older. Advantage Gurley.

DJ is older, Palmer and Fitz maybe retiring,  might lose his HC to retirement as well. Advantage Gurley.

Zeke has the off field concerns, the bad decision making risks. Also young, but catches less passes and breaks less big plays. OL and QB/supporting cast seems to be overrated. Advantage Gurley. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Now that he's two years removed from the ACL, combined with his age, he has the least risk factors AND the best offense/coaching situation imo. He has to be the #1 RB at least. If not 1.01 pick period. 

I think this is huge. From what I've seen of him the past two weeks, he's just flying around. He looked like a Sports Science video out there. AN ACL sometimes takes two years to fully heal. I think the only thing that would worry me is his injury past. 

I drafted him the first year he was out, and he was good, but nothing like this. Plus, the Rams were bad back then. Anyway, this has been stunning. The guy that had Brown and Gurley in our league actually lost last week because of Brown's calf. Crazy.   

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

traded Bell for Gurley mid-season in my non-ppr dynasty league.

In the championship game this week, I'm facing the team that I traded Bell to.

Not counting chickens yet, but, um, I'm pretty happy with that trade. :)

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, joey said:

traded Bell for Gurley mid-season in my non-ppr dynasty league.

In the championship game this week, I'm facing the team that I traded Bell to.

Not counting chickens yet, but, um, I'm pretty happy with that trade. :)

That worked out pretty good for you I'd say. I traded Gurley for Brown week 7. Had both Saints RBs and desperately needed a top WR. Faced the person I traded with last week. Even with Antonio ripping his calf and getting two points, I only lost by 13.5. Ah well. Given the construction of my team, I'd do it again but these last two weeks at the absolute right time have been amazing for Gurley owners. Win some lose some. 

His breakaway speed is no joke. ?

If he scores next week, he'll have 2000 total yards and 20 total TDs. Not mant people in that club.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Native said:

His breakaway speed is no joke. ?

If he scores next week, he'll have 2000 total yards and 20 total TDs. Not mant people in that club.

That second (third?) gear he hit on that screen pass?

:tebow:

I actually lost in the semis last week with Gurley. Dominated all year and blow everyone out this week. Only 3rd place to show for it. So pissed. 

My favorite part of this year were the "experts" advising people to sell high on Gurley after week 4, because his schedule was going to turn brutal and he was going to turn back into Trent Richardson 2.0.  Heard that comparison thrown around a ton this summer as well.

Talent always wins.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

I actually lost in the semis last week with Gurley. Dominated all year and blow everyone out this week. Only 3rd place to show for it. So pissed. 

Because in the words of that old MTV ad, you stink-a like fish. 

;)

Bad beat, bro. 

1 hour ago, Sebowski said:

I was lucky enough to take down the number 1 seed with a Gurley/Leveon combo last week.  I have a chance to beat him again this week in another league if Leveon and Bryant score 37 points ppr.

I was offered Gurley and 2.7 for TY Hilton in the preseason.  Took it, even though I wasn't a Gurley fan.  I was rebuilding, figured I could flip him if he showed something.  He has carried a rag tag bunch (J. White, Bulkhead, Drake, JuJu, Diggs, Woods, E. Engram) to the championship.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

My favorite part of this year were the "experts" advising people to sell high on Gurley after week 4, because his schedule was going to turn brutal and he was going to turn back into Trent Richardson 2.0.  Heard that comparison thrown around a ton this summer as well.

Talent always wins.

This is why you learn to think for yourself.

Tex

• Like 2

On 7/8/2014 at 9:03 AM, tdmills said:

Todd Gurley

Birthday - August 3, 1994. He will just turn 21 for the 2015 NFL season

Rivals 4 star recruit

2012: 222 attempts for 1,385 yards 6.2 17 TD, 16 rec for 117 yards 0 TD

2013: 165 attempts for 989 yards 6.0 10 TD, 37 rec for 441 yards 6 TD

Size - 6’1 195 out of HS, 6’1 218 in 2012, 6’1 232 in 2013. Gurley has a strong upper body, which allows him to throw defenders away, but what makes him elite is his huge lower body. It generates all of his power and makes it tough for would be tacklers to wrap him up all the way around his lower half.

Speed - Gurley has good speed for a player his size. I suspect his speed is 4.5 flat with a chance to be in the high 4.4's. He was a faster football player in 2012 vs 2013, but he put up significant weight during his time at Georgia and it’s slowing him down, especially his long speed. In 2011, he ran a 10.70 100 meter dash. His acceleration is good and I would say better than his speed.

Power – Uses his stiff arm well to not only distance himself from defenders or push them away, but also shoving defenders to the ground. Gurley is a very powerful runner than will punish a defender and makes defensive backs weary to come up in run support. Wears down defenses and gashes them late in games. His size and power is so great that defenders literally bounce off of him.

Elusiveness – Does a really good job of setting up defenders by using the “dead leg” to make decisive cuts. For such a big RB, he is good at getting skinny to sneak by defenders. Has a good jump cut near the LOS that gets him past defenders and quickly into cutback lanes.

Vision – This is his biggest weakness so far,albeit a small one. He needs to become a more patient runner and wait for his blocks. At times, he is missing huge cutback lanes because he’s in too big of a hurry and doesn't allow for things to develop. Normally this happens when he is tired or he bounces outside too quickly. Overall, his vision is above average and he reads his blocks well most of the time. He has a nose for the end zone and finds a way to get in. Gurley does a good job of changing his running angle at the second level to move away from defenders to gain extra yardage.

Finishing runs – He isn’t afraid to sacrifice his body near the goal line and is determined to get into the end zone. He lowers his shoulder near the end of runs to blast into defenders to gain yardage. Gurley can make subtle cuts while taking on impact from defenders that allows him to gain yardage other running backs cannot. This is tough to do but speaks to his ability to keep his balance. However, I see many runs when he gets to the second level and goes down easier than he should due to his athletic ability.

Hands – Very smooth snagging the ball out of the air and should be a common occurrence at the next level.

Blocking – Gurley has the size and power to be a good pass protector. However, right now he doesn’t attack defenders as much as he should. Assignment wise, he’s been correct, but he just needs to improve his aggressiveness here.

Injuries – Gurley missed 3 games due to an ankle injury he suffered vs LSU and wasn’t 100% for the last 6 games he played in 2013. If you watched the 2nd half vs Florida(his 1st game back from the injury), Gurley was completely gas and looked like a shadow of his former self.

Overall- Todd Gurley is the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. He has a freakish size/speed combination but also has a great feel for the position. He is a determined runner with a nose for the end zone, but also has soft hands. If Gurley had 4.4 flat speed and no injury history he would be an almost perfect prospect. My only worry with Gurley is he gets too big, loses his explosiveness and the injuries pile up.

Round projection- 1st round NFL pick

Comparison- Ricky Williams and Larry Johnson

FF – Todd Gurley is my current RB2 in dynasty leagues behind Lesean McCoy. Gurley is an unbelievable prospect that does everything good and is elite in areas as well. Do whatever you can to acquire him and enjoy the ride.

"Best RB prospect since AP"......just proved it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tdmills said:

"Best RB prospect since AP"......just proved it

AP never did it in the passing game, Gurley killed it this year ootb - from a fantasy perspective, this incredible season is much better than AP's MVP year, no question - with one game still to go. 

Gurley just sewed up the MVP award for himself, very well deserved.  

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Sebowski said:

If it makes you feel better, you have company. :suds:

• Like 2

I targeted Gurley in EVERY dynasty league this summer and got him for a song in each. At the time I was the laughing stock and told I "over-paid".......now I just say show me the $$ with three championships out of four leagues and I have the hottest back for next year as well. 

Classic case of people giving up on real talent too soon, and not seeing that it was the Coach, not the player that was the issue. 

P.S. as an added bonus got myself a never worn, certified signed Gurley jersey in the summer for $90 bucks when people were dumping his gear. That Jersey will be now put in glass on the wall to remember a great season. 

P.P.S. Can't wait to see the offers I'll be turning down for Gurley this summer. People saying it was a "fluke" and he will "revert to the mean",. No way he goes anywhere but in my line-up in 2018! 

Edited by hoffman0001
  • Like 1

Trading just opened back up in one of my dynasty leagues and got my first offer for him:

Kamara, Arob, Hunter Henry for Gurley, Pierre Garcon, Torrey Smith

That's not awful. I don't really need a TE (Kelce, OJ Howard) but I do like Henry and think Arob has a decent chance at bouncing back. Passing for now but thought it was decent enough for sure.  

Was offered gurley and arob in the off season for Julio in the one dyno i didnt own gurley in. Decided I didnt wanna be over exposed after going thru a whole season in another league where I have Arob and Gurley and they let me down a lot. So I passed. Whoops. Won the title anyway, but still...

• Like 1

Let's have a moment of silence for those poor souls that sold him cheap last year.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled program.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, hoffman0001 said:

I targeted Gurley in EVERY dynasty league this summer and got him for a song in each. At the time I was the laughing stock and told I "over-paid".......now I just say show me the $$ with three championships out of four leagues and I have the hottest back for next year as well. 

Classic case of people giving up on real talent too soon, and not seeing that it was the Coach, not the player that was the issue. 

P.S. as an added bonus got myself a never worn, certified signed Gurley jersey in the summer for $90 bucks when people were dumping his gear. That Jersey will be now put in glass on the wall to remember a great season. 

P.P.S. Can't wait to see the offers I'll be turning down for Gurley this summer. People saying it was a "fluke" and he will "revert to the mean",. No way he goes anywhere but in my line-up in 2018! 

Allen Robinson and a 4th will be awful tempting though....

Or maybe Tyreek Hill.

McVay hints that there will be Rams starters “who won’t play at all” on Sunday. @CVRamsClub

7:10 PM · Dec 26, 2017

Tex

11 hours ago, hoffman0001 said:

I agree that this was me. 

That said, does anyone else fit this mold for the upcoming year?

11 minutes ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Not many have close to Gurley's talent.

That said, I think Derrick Henry is definitely being held back by Mularkey's Murray fetish.  Maybe Joe Mixon flourishes under a different coach but Dalton could continue to hold things back there.

3 hours ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Amari Cooper. 

His ankle-snapping TD this week vs Philly is all you need to see. 

7 hours ago, tombonneau said:

Amari Cooper. 

His ankle-snapping TD this week vs Philly is all you need to see. 

We have seen him produce before, and other WR's have produced with this staff. Is he a player to target? Yes..but it's not due to system/coach issues. 

10 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Not many have close to Gurley's talent.

That said, I think Derrick Henry is definitely being held back by Mularkey's Murray fetish.  Maybe Joe Mixon flourishes under a different coach but Dalton could continue to hold things back there.

I like D. Henry as a target. 

Some other guys I like to see an improvement next year would be:

Andrew Luck-This guy can be gotten so cheap this summer

D. Carr-See above 

M. Mariota

J. Howard-Does not get credit for his production given his team 

J Ajayi-Unless he blows up in the playoffs this guy will be a value. Look for big things next year 

C. Hyde-Chances are huge he moves to a better situation, if not a off-season with the nex QB will be big. continues to be undervalued 

J. Nelson-This guy has value all over him. People will write him off as old, but with Rodgers back this guy will be a nice steal for cheap 

M. Evans-Nice trade target

S. Diggs-Nice trade target

These are just guys off the top of my head. Look at the production for the last two years, and look for players that produced in the past and had a bad 2017. Then find players who's production was tied to issues other then themselves (coaching issues, injuries to players round them, etc.). Fantasy football owners have short memories and are quick to throw our older quality players after one year. 

14 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Allen Robinson and a 4th will be awful tempting though....

Or maybe Tyreek Hill.

Hmmmm...seems to me my Robinson offer was pretty on point given he has had ONE good year and three bad ones in the last 4. Maybe I know what I'm talking about? 

25 minutes ago, hoffman0001 said:

Let's see Kamara do it more then one year before we anoint him. I have seen plenty of one year wonders at RB. 

Guess you could say the same of Gurley after his abysmal sophomore campaign.

37 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

Guess you could say the same of Gurley after his abysmal sophomore campaign.

Except he looked just as good as a rookie too.  He just got Fisher'd for a year, that's all.

On 2/5/2018 at 1:42 PM, Hankmoody said:

Except he looked just as good as a rookie too.  He just got Fisher'd for a year, that's all.

Exactly. Kamara needs to show he can do it more then a year. 

Rams exercised RB Todd Gurley's fifth-year team option for 2019.

After contending for the league's MVP award last season, Gurley is now set to make roughly $9.63 million in what will be the final year of his rookie contract in 2019. A prodigious talent freed from Jeff Fisher's anti-offense, 24-year-old (in August) Gurley should have another monster campaign in 2018.

Related: Marcus Peters

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Apr 24 - 1:56 PM

On 5/1/2015 at 4:40 PM, cstu said:

In PPR I think it's a mistake not to take Cooper.

Still think that ?  I took Gurley over Cooper at 1.01 helped me to my first undefeated Dynasty season this year.