Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

Saw this on MFL:

(RotoWire) Gurley (knee) is expected to be available for the start of the Rams' offseason program April 15, Gary Klein and Jeff Miller of the Los Angeles Times report.

Analysis: The status of Gurley's left knee will probably be the biggest story line surrounding the Rams' offseason and that narrative appears to be starting on a positive note. Head coach Sean McVay declined to comment much on the subject at this week's NFL owner's meetings and specifically didn't touch on whether Gurley is dealing with arthritis or not, but he did mention the team has a plan in place to manage the running back's health going forward. Joining him in offseason workouts will be Malcolm Brown, who Los Angeles effectively decided to re-sign over C.J. Anderson.

Would be rather nice to see him participating in some form. The signing of Brown over CJ is also interesting, although it was much cheaper than the tag they had used on him so it was rather a no-brainer. #nervousgurleydynastyowner

3 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

As a fan and dynasty owner I’m officially worried after tonight’s draft. 

Henderson is their 3rd RB now. I wouldnt count on Gurley getting 30 touches a game, but hes the guy

and I love Henderson

1 minute ago, Dr. Dan said:

Henderson is their 3rd RB now. I wouldnt count on Gurley getting 30 touches a game, but hes the guy

and I love Henderson

I hope so but the injury worried me last year and when I heard about the arthritis I got real concerned. This all but confirms the worst fears. As a guy who’s had 3 knee surgeries and arthritis in both knees (@ only 43) I know how this can effect things.

Would hate to see what looked to be an all-pro career cut short. 

27 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

As a fan and dynasty owner I’m officially worried after tonight’s draft. 

Henderson was the 70th pick, it isn't like the Rams drafted a RB in the 1st round.  

Still a bit concerning, but having depth at the position is par for the course.

19 minutes ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

Henderson was the 70th pick, it isn't like the Rams drafted a RB in the 1st round.  

Fair, but teams don’t typically match an offer sheet (when cap space is extremely tight) for a favored backup then give up 2 3rd round picks to move up and draft another talented RB all behind the highest paid RB in the league if they were just building depth.  Lots of smoke is all I’m saying, there’s gotta be a fire burning imo.  I certainly hope not and will gladly be wrong here.  

6 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Fair, but teams don’t typically match an offer sheet (when cap space is extremely tight) for a favored backup then give up 2 3rd round picks to move up and draft another talented RB all behind the highest paid RB in the league if they were just building depth.  Lots of smoke is all I’m saying, there’s gotta be a fire burning imo.  I certainly hope not and will gladly be wrong here.  

Agree, it's concerning...but when rookie drafts happen we'll have no idea on Gurley's health.  

There are signs of smoke though, you're definitely right on that.

Rams coach Sean McVay said the team could use more two-back formations in 2019.

McVay is basically confirming the obvious after the team somewhat surprisingly matched RFA Malcolm Brown's offer sheet and used the No. 70 overall pick on Darrell Henderson. More two-back looks would be a major departure for McVay, who has deployed "11" personnel almost exclusively in Los Angeles. McVay has also alluded to giving Gurley more rest. "As far as managing the workload, those are things that we talk about with Todd and as you continue to get educated on, is that something that we should do for the long haul or something that is or isn’t going to affect Todd most importantly and how does that affect our team." It sounds like Gurley's knee woes down the stretch last season were a wake-up call for his coach. We might not get the same sort of league-winning usage we saw in 2017 and most of 2018.

SOURCE: ESPN Los Angeles

Apr 30, 2019, 3:00 PM ET

I'm late to this discussion and not sure if mentioned, it seemed CJ Anderson was a really good fit in LA and produced well. I cannot imagine they would have let hime walk after how well he played. Not sure what he was paid but I cant imagine is was big money.

Also a 5'8 third rd RB sounds more like a gadget player than a contingency plan. Had they drafed a workhorse typ back it would feel different.

He's a lock for 1,100 yards / 8 touchdowns. Receptions are too variable based to predict but he'll have a ton of them. Small chance he has some severe knee issues. I'd make at trade for him if your team has a chance to win this season. Otherwise, I think I like Melvin Gordon over him for longevity's sake.

9 hours ago, Raptors409 said:

He's a lock for 1,100 yards / 8 touchdowns. Receptions are too variable based to predict but he'll have a ton of them. Small chance he has some severe knee issues. I'd make at trade for him if your team has a chance to win this season. Otherwise, I think I like Melvin Gordon over him for longevity's sake.

Well, Gordon has been hurt every season and has his own history of knee problems. 

On 4/27/2019 at 12:48 AM, ILUVBEER99 said:

With the 67th pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select Alvin Kamara.

11 minutes ago, zeeshan2 said:

Todd Gurley (knee) was asked if he could confirm reports he was suffering from a degenerative condition or arthritis. "All I can focus on is how I’m doing right now," he said.

https://twitter.com/adamlevitan/status/1124298027051683840

While we don't know the state of Gurley's knee, reading the tea leaves portends a drop off. The question is now how much less production we will get from Gurley. His overall RB 1 days appear over. In some cursory rankings I have seen, he falls between RB5-RB9 overall and still costs a mid to late first. Too bad- he's the type of player that is easy to route for; electric on the field and a quality person off of it.