What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (10 Viewers)

Well sure, we all read the articles coming out, so it makes sense if you aren't a risk taker you'd prefer to sell at a discount BUT...we are still talking Todd freaking Gurley here, he's not lost a limb and he's not dead yet. Like the above poster mentioned he sold him for Kelce and a 2020 1st, that's good value. But I had someone tell me I would have to give him Matt Ryan, Gurley, Julio Jones, and Njoku for Kamara. I think that's just absurd. Just my opinion, but its treating Gurley like he's worth a late 3rd rookie pick now 
Same reason you want to sell is the same reason they aren't backing up the brinx  truck.

Imagine that.

Well sure, we all read the articles coming out, so it makes sense if you aren't a risk taker you'd prefer to sell at a discount BUT...we are still talking Todd freaking Gurley here, he's not lost a limb and he's not dead yet. Like the above poster mentioned he sold him for Kelce and a 2020 1st, that's good value. But I had someone tell me I would have to give him Matt Ryan, Gurley, Julio Jones, and Njoku for Kamara. I think that's just absurd. Just my opinion, but its treating Gurley like he's worth a late 3rd rookie pick now 
Not sure about your league, but older QBs aren’t all that valuable in a dynasty league. And Njoku doesn’t (IMO) have much value.  So the principal components of the trade at Gurley, Kamara, & Jones.  It’s definitely lopsided in his value, but I’m assuming you initiated the trade discussions, with the goal of getting Kamara.  

Flip the script; if another owner had contacted YOU prior to last season about trading for Gurley, would you have tried to make a perfectly balanced trade, or would you have demanded a King’s ransom in exchange for a top young RB, with no injury concerns?

Todd Gurley (knee) is not participating in team drills at OTAs.

"That was what we felt like was best for Todd when Todd and I sat down," coach Sean McVay said Tuesday. "And it's been really good so far and we feel good about that." The Rams are going to bring Gurley along slowly and may not even play him in the preseason if we were to make an educated guess. The plan is still obviously for Gurley to be ready to roll Week 1, but there are indications his workload could be scaled back in 2019. The Rams kept Malcolm Brown and then drafted Darrell Henderson as pieces to lighten the load on Gurley's troublesome knee.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

May 28, 2019, 11:51 PM ET

His sell high point has come and gone, absolutely. At this point he holds more value for you than he does in any trade. You might be able to sell during the season if he has shown no signs of slowing down, but the arthritis bell has been rung. IMO in season trading has the most upside but the most risk too... he could be worth nothing at that point, at least nothing worth trading him away for. 

DLF has an interesting thread about selling high. Who are those guys? And many people suggest players who are already on the downswing. A poster made the comment that sell highs might be more:

Barkely, Hopkins, Zeke

the argument is that their value will never be higher. and that's probably true. 

Gurley was probably sell high last year
What do you ask for that can realistically equal the value of an rb who should be the top of his position (and a foundation of your team) for the next three years? Question goes for both Zeke and Barkley.

Hopkins as a sell high I like.  Probably won't slow down this season, but he's got tread on his tires.

+edit - just realized Hopkins is 27.  Not too sure about that any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several months ago I traded away Derrick Henry and Kerryon Johnson for Gurley, at the time thinking that was a steal...now... :oldunsure:

Every time I hear McVay talk about Gurley, I feel he's just spinning positive but meaningless statements.  Beginning about week 16 last year, it's just been optimistic drivel, denying the obvious evidence we've all seen in Gurley's usage and visible/statistical results.  We're not going to see Gurley in the preseason, will only hear more of the same blah blah blah from McVay, and will see a 50% snap count at most in the regular season.  He's done as a workhorse and RB1 IMO.

Dr. Octopus said:
So I think it's safe to assume he was hurt in the playoffs a Super Bow despite McVey claiming he wasn't. Imagine that.
McVay was technically correct (which is of course the best kind of correct) - arthritis or other degenerative knee issues are a chronic condition, not an acute injury. That also means that he likely won't show up on the injury report and could still be a surprise scratch at any point or only get a small amount of touches. 

McVay was technically correct (which is of course the best kind of correct) - arthritis or other degenerative knee issues are a chronic condition, not an acute injury. That also means that he likely won't show up on the injury report and could still be a surprise scratch at any point or only get a small amount of touches. 
This is what frustrates me and it's why some are under estimating his knee. It's the attorney-like talk wherentheyre cryptic and "technically right" but really saying as little as they need to say in ways that disclose as little information as possible about the condition. 

But of course, we see this all the time, but on the opposite side if it: Hes our QB, hes great, that guy can play. What are they supposed to say, our QB sucks?! or in this case, "yeah his knee is screwed, were f-ed. we just wasted a lot of money on him" of course not. They have to consider the PR nightmare that comes with being straight honest. Anyone who can connect the dots sees what's going on here. How severe it is, no one knows, but it's obvious it's not anywhere close to good, and possibly difficult to even manage. 

wgoldsph said:
What do you ask for that can realistically equal the value of an rb who should be the top of his position (and a foundation of your team) for the next three years?
If you are curious to know, I recently had traded Gurley for Le'Veon Bell and 2020 1st round in 12-teams PPR league.  

This is what frustrates me and it's why some are under estimating his knee. It's the attorney-like talk wherentheyre cryptic and "technically right" but really saying as little as they need to say in ways that disclose as little information as possible about the condition. 
Yes, this is part of the reason why I felt the time was right to sell Gurley now so I can avoid all coachspeak during regular season.   By matching Lions' contract offer to retain Malcolm Brown and trading up to select Darrell Henderson, I foresee Rams taking RBBC approach this year.  

His sell high point has come and gone, absolutely. At this point he holds more value for you than he does in any trade. You might be able to sell during the season if he has shown no signs of slowing down, but the arthritis bell has been rung. IMO in season trading has the most upside but the most risk too... he could be worth nothing at that point, at least nothing worth trading him away for. 

DLF has an interesting thread about selling high. Who are those guys? And many people suggest players who are already on the downswing. A poster made the comment that sell highs might be more:

Barkely, Hopkins, Zeke

the argument is that their value will never be higher. and that's probably true. 

Gurley was probably sell high last year
injuries are unfortunately, but IMO you just don't trade players like Zeke barkely or Hopkins.....I mean are you hoping to get …..Zeke Barkley or Hopkins back? 

Studs and points win...….

injuries are unfortunately, but IMO you just don't trade players like Zeke barkely or Hopkins.....I mean are you hoping to get …..Zeke Barkley or Hopkins back? 

Studs and points win...….
I agree. I'm just saying, if we define a sell high the way it should be- selling at the highest value point, then these guys would qualify at this point. certainly if you own them they can win you championships.

IMO sell high usually applies to anyone but stud players. I own Barkely and Mixon... I'll own them until the day they retire most likely. Or if I need a complete remake of my roster... which is unlikely due to what my roster looks like! 

Five takeaways from the second week of OTAs

Excerpt:

5) PLAN FOR GURLEY

Running back Todd Gurley has not been on the field for OTAs, but that’s part of a plan that was previously set out, according to head coach Sean McVay.

“That was what we felt like was best when Todd and I sat down,” McVay said this week. “And it’s been really good so far and we feel good about that.”

McVay noted that the Rams have been pleased with Gurley and his training this offseason. And part of the reason why the league’s leader in touchdowns two years running has not been as heavily involved as he’s been in the past is because the Rams played so much longer in 2018.

So as the 2019 season approaches, McVay said that this is the best course of action for Gurley to be at his best for training camp and Week 1 against the Panthers.

Hmmm...

6'1 218 pounds = 28.8 BMI

5'9 208 pounds = 30.7 BMI and, apparently, too small to be more than a COP back
And a 5’6 195-pounder has an even better BMI.

He’s small (light). Period. Henderson’s lack of size (weight) coupled with his somewhat limited skill set will make it extremely difficult for him to be a successful long-term feature back (even if he DOES gets the opportunity).

He’s small (light). Period. Henderson’s lack of size (weight) coupled with his somewhat limited skill set will make it extremely difficult for him to be a successful long-term feature back (even if he DOES gets the opportunity).
A difference of ten pounds makes him small?

Half of the top 10 rushing seasons in NFL history were posted by guys 212 lbs or less.  I guess someone forgot to tell those guys they were only capable of being CoP RBs.

A difference of ten pounds makes him small?
Henderson is certainly a smaller RB, but it’s actually a combination of his lack of size & his skill set which is going to prohibit him from being the kind of RB a lot of people are expressing in this thread.

@FBG Moderator when this is done continually and is continually false it is a troll, a lie, and pissing in the Shark Pool. When does it end? This has been streamed across multiple, multiple threads now. Without any accountability for it. I know I’m not a great poster with a great rep but how many threads need to go down this path?

Half of the top 10 rushing seasons in NFL history were posted by guys 212 lbs or less.  I guess someone forgot to tell those guys they were only capable of being CoP RBs.
212? :lol: where did you come up with that threshold? How about a nice streamlined 200 lbs since we're talking about a 195er?

@FBG Moderator when this is done continually and is continually false it is a troll, a lie, and pissing in the Shark Pool. When does it end? This has been streamed across multiple, multiple threads now. Without any accountability for it. I know I’m not a great poster with a great rep but how many threads need to go down this path?
LOL. You’re incredibly disrespectful.

All it takes to figure out the NFL has changed is to look at the number of smaller “lighter” RBs who’ve managed to be FF studs any given year the last 7-8 years or so (actually, going back even farther).

The number is rather small. People who think 205 RBs can thrive (or be long-term feature backs) in the NFL now without top-end escapability traits are living in the past.

Yeah. Someone needs to tell McCaffrey he’s only a CoP too.  Oh, wait, a few guys locked themselves into that position and lectured us all about how dumb we were to think that he could be a lead RB.  You just keep lecturing us too.
CMAC easily passed my criteria coming out. So did Cook.

212? :lol: where did you come up with that threshold? How about a nice streamlined 200 lbs since we're talking about a 195er?

Ummmm, because those were the weights of the holders of half the top rushing seasons in NFL history?

I thought this was about speaking about Henderson’s role adjacent to Gurley or if Gurley were to miss time.  What RB are you talking about?

Yeah. Someone needs to tell McCaffrey he’s only a CoP too.  Oh, wait, a few guys locked themselves into that position and lectured us all about how dumb we were to think that he could be a lead RB.  You just keep lecturing us too.
BTW, you call it lecturing? You simply don’t like what you’re hearing, LOL.

Get used to it. Henderson will continue to be debated because of the polarizing stances people have.

BTW, you call it lecturing? You simply don’t like what you’re hearing, LOL.

Get used to it. Henderson will continue to be debated because of the polarizing stances people have.

No, that’s not it at all, but it doesn’t surprise me that you think this way.  Unlike you, I’m open to possibilities.  You speak in certainties about something that right now is completely uncertain.  And given your inflexibilty and unwillingness to consider any other position than your own as being possible, it’s my fault for engaging again.  And so I’ll step away from this.

Ah yes we’ve come full circle and now we’re back to the mythical eye test criteria of Football Jones that needs to be inserted into every thread.

Ah yes we’ve come full circle and now we’re back to the mythical eye test criteria of Football Jones that needs to be inserted into every thread.
It’s called evaluation (specifically, on-field).

Not sure what else to tell you. What does your eye tell you about players?

It’s called evaluation (specifically, on-field).

Not sure what else to tell you. What does your eye tell you about players?
Plenty. But probably more importantly is what it doesn’t do which is make me draw a line in the sand at a certain weight and then use my personal eye test as the decisive factor for players on the wrong side. You don’t see how it’s annoying af when you get to defend your stance on lighter players who have had success by saying “oh well they passed my eye test”? People want to talk about BMI, draft capital, 40 splits, combine results, yards after contact, yards created before contact, etc and come in and say nah too light/eye test fail 100 times a day.

Plenty. But probably more importantly is what it doesn’t do which is make me draw a line in the sand at a certain weight and then use my personal eye test as the decisive factor for players on the wrong side. You don’t see how it’s annoying af when you get to defend your stance on lighter players who have had success by saying “oh well they passed my eye test”? People want to talk about BMI, draft capital, 40 splits, combine results, yards after contact, yards created before contact, etc and you do is come in and say nah too light/eye test fail 100 times a day.
On-field ability should be the cornerstone of grading a RB (or any prospect). Also, a RB’s weight in relation to their skill set is key. Other metrics go into my eval, as well. I’ve actually explained how I grade smaller RBs pretty thoroughly.

Anyway, I’ve mentioned other things like yards blocked & why Henderson’s production at Memphis was overrated. People hear what they want to hear.

On-field ability should be the cornerstone of grading a RB (or any prospect). Also, a RBs weight in relation to their skill set is key. Other metrics go into my eval, as well. I’ve actually explained how I grade smaller RBs pretty thoroughly.

That said, I’ve mentioned other things like yards blocked & why Henderson’s production at Memphis was overrated. People hear what they want to hear.
Of course Henderson also led the nation and actually everyone since at least 2014 in yards after contact as well...

Of course Henderson also led the nation and actually everyone since at least 2014 in yards after contact as well...
To think his yards after contact at Memphis will translate to the NFL is quite a stretch. I’d venture to say that actually could be a weakness.

That said, we all put more emphasis on certain things which is how discussions get started. 

To think his yards after contact at Memphis will translate to the NFL is quite a stretch. I’d venture to say that actually could be a weakness.

That said, we all put more emphasis on certain things which is how discussions get started. 
Ah so your system also eliminates players from smaller schools? Poor David Johnson never stood a chance! Anyways the point of my initial post was to point out that if you post mainly about a player’s weight backed up or invalidated by just your “criteria” you’re going to annoy a lot of people. Most people appreciate discussion deeper than that. Our stances on Henderson have been well established we don’t need to continue to rehash in the Gurley thread.

Ah so your system also eliminates players from smaller schools? Poor David Johnson never stood a chance! Anyways the point of my initial post was to point out that if you post mainly about a player’s weight backed up or invalidated by just your “criteria” you’re going to annoy a lot of people. Most people appreciate discussion deeper than that. Our stances on Henderson have been well established we don’t need to continue to rehash in the Gurley thread.
@Cobbler1 Again, the way I grade smaller RBs is as extensive as anyone else. I just do it differently. 

BTW, I was one of DJ’s biggest fans on here & landed him in every single dynasty league I was in.

Anyway, you’re right, enough for now, especially in the Gurley thread.

It is not a weakness until it is a weakness. He maximized what he had at Memphis and is in a system that seems to taylor to his strengths. He may not run through contact in the NFL like he did in college but runs with enough tenacity that I don’t think it will be a weakness. He has excellent speed and good cutting ability to pair up with above average receiving skills. Sounds like a nice starter kit for success in a prolific offense IMO.

It is not a weakness until it is a weakness. He maximized what he had at Memphis and is in a system that seems to taylor to his strengths. He may not run through contact in the NFL like he did in college but runs with enough tenacity that I don’t think it will be a weakness. He has excellent speed and good cutting ability to pair up with above average receiving skills. Sounds like a nice starter kit for success in a prolific offense IMO.
I thought Todd Gurley went to Georgia.

Foosball God said:
Should we just merge the Henderson and Gurley threads now?
WTH?...just replying to a post. If you don’t think Gurleys backup is enough of a relevance of topic then report it to the mods and leave me out of it. Sifting through this place to find relevant information is becoming harder and harder. People now seem more interested in ticky-tac pissing matches.

WTH?...just replying to a post. If you don’t think Gurleys backup is enough of a relevance of topic then report it to the mods and leave me out of it. Sifting through this place to find relevant information is becoming harder and harder. People now seem more interested in ticky-tac pissing matches.
The last page and a half or so was mostly about Henderson and it was a rehash of a debate that already occurred in the Henderson thread.... I think he was speaking generally about the thread and not you specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread