What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (15 Viewers)

Bojang0301 said:
Man you guys are babies. I mentioned McGahee as a plus in Gurleys favor. And 26-28 is a RB's prime. SMH. You guys want to ignore an ACL injury and think he'll have some magical impact next year so be it. If you're drafting him at 1.01 to 1.03 that's what you'll expect and you'll be sitting on him for at least half a season. Teams haven't even got to see him run, workout, hell I'm not even sure if they've got to examine his knee

Edit to add: 1 month of rehab is a long time in football terms. That's 4 to 5 games in season. So tell me how my statement is false again.
You're kind of a moron. Prime years as a RB does not mean prime recovery years. Prime recovery years will put you back to being 100% during your prime years as a RB.
Stay classy guy. You may not agree with me and I certainly don't agree with you but that's pretty uncalled for.

FWIW I think both of you guys are correct just not talking about the same things.

I have seen studies that find it is easier for a player to fully recover from a serious injury when they are younger, under 25 years old IIRC. So it is better odds for a young player to recover from an ACL injury and still have some productive years left than it is for an older RB.

There are also some players injured at the college level that do not recover. They get passed on in the draft or taken later than perhaps they would at full health.

A players ability to make it back from injury somewhat depends on their opportunity. Some of the marginal players won't get as many chances as players who are very productive when they are healthy.

At the same time there are many examples of a player recovering most of their former ability after the injury but not all of it. Like Frank Gore for example.

There are some who it takes more time to fully recover like Thomas Jones.

As far as the value based draft curve of historical performance,

Year 1 22.5 VBD

Year 2 31.2 VBD

Year 3 33 VBD

Year 4 29 VBD

Year 5 28 VBD

Year 6 31.3 VBD

Year 7 17 VBD

Year 8 11 VBD

Year 9 8.3 VBD

Year 10 4 VBD

Year 11 .2 VBD

Year 12 .2 VBD

The best season tends to happen in year 3 of the RBs career. Most of the RB have their best years within their first six seasons.

Most RB are 21 or 22 years old when they enter the league. So six seasons from that would be 27-28 and the second best season to the third is the sixth.

The rookie season is actually the worst of the first six seasons. So not having that 17% of the first six seasons is perhaps not as significant of a season to miss compared to the next five seasons. But it is still 17% less than the full expected potential.

Amazingly there are still people out there who will try and tell you Gurley isn't fast. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481389/article/five-rb-prospects-with-best-gamebreaking-speed
I think Brooks pointed out he is in Auburn's top 10 ever for hurdles (60 m.?), which I didn't know. Good point about being a returner, indication of COD and movement skills for a player close to 225 lbs. While he may not be RG3, borderline Olympic-caliber fast in the hurdles, still very fast.
Pretty amazing for him to be 7 in UGA history and also find time to get top 10 at Auburn as well.... :lol: I kid.

Yes, this kid is fast. Very fast.
Memory spasm :) , thanks for the catch.

* To the thread, If Cooper and White go to a team like OAK, CHI and/or STL, and Gurley goes to SD or DAL, how would they rank in PPR leagues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

SI's Peter King sees Georgia RB Todd Gurley coming off the board by the 25th pick.

Gurley will be five months removed from ACL surgery on draft day. Per King, the "book" on Gurley is he'll be good in 2015 and tremendous in 2016. The Cardinals, in search of a power complement to Andre Ellington, should be very interested at pick 24. The Cowboys need to replace DeMarco Murray and hold the 27th pick. Gurley's upcoming medical re-check in Indy will impact his stock.

Mar 30 - 8:15 AM
Source: SI.com

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs

In the eyes of ESPN's Mel Kiper, Georgia RB Todd Gurley and the Dallas Cowboys are a match made in heaven.

"Dallas is going to have one of the best run-blocking lines in the NFL next season, if not the best," Kiper wrote. "The Cowboys don't need a dancer, they need a player who will get downhill fast and turn a crease into a big run because he's so hard to get to the ground when he hits the second level. Gurley can do that. Dallas added Darren McFadden, but they won't be done at this position." Though it's an ideal match, the analyst believes there's a better chance than not of it not coming to fruition. "Dallas has shown good restraint recently, such as in last year's draft and in not overpaying for DeMarco Murray, so it certainly wouldn't be knocked by me for passing on a RB in Round 1 (I certainly would)," Kiper wrote. "But Gurley is worth a close look if they think he's a missing link."

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 30 - 10:46 PM

Rotoworld:

In the eyes of ESPN's Mel Kiper, Georgia RB Todd Gurley and the Dallas Cowboys are a match made in heaven.

"Dallas is going to have one of the best run-blocking lines in the NFL next season, if not the best," Kiper wrote. "The Cowboys don't need a dancer, they need a player who will get downhill fast and turn a crease into a big run because he's so hard to get to the ground when he hits the second level. Gurley can do that. Dallas added Darren McFadden, but they won't be done at this position." Though it's an ideal match, the analyst believes there's a better chance than not of it not coming to fruition. "Dallas has shown good restraint recently, such as in last year's draft and in not overpaying for DeMarco Murray, so it certainly wouldn't be knocked by me for passing on a RB in Round 1 (I certainly would)," Kiper wrote. "But Gurley is worth a close look if they think he's a missing link."

no way he's there at 27

Rotoworld:

no way he's there at 27
that seems debateable. and IMO is one of the biggest tests of how GMs see the position.

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Player

Georgia RB Todd Gurley (ACL) has resumed running.

Gurley suffered a clean tear of his ACL in November. "I've been starting to run and do like backpedaling and stuff like that. It’s been going pretty good, it’s going smoothly," he said. Given Gurley's special talent and the recent success of many ACL patients (Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Jeremy Maclin), it would be a major surprise if he's not a first-round pick. The Cardinals, in search of a physical complement to Andre Ellington, make sense at No. 24 overall.

Source: Sirius XM NFL Radio

Apr 2 - 8:25 AM

Rotoworld:

no way he's there at 27
that seems debateable. and IMO is one of the biggest tests of how GMs see the position.
It is debatable. granted the top talent is better this year, but for the past 2 years in the draft it is starting to show a trend. i can totally see 1 rb going in the first this year.

Rotoworld:

A "respected evaluator" tells NFL.com's Ian Rapoport that Georgia's Todd Gurley is the best running-back prospect since Adrian Peterson.

It's not the first Peterson comparison for a back who is widely considered this year's top runner. With each passing day, concern about Gurley's torn ACL seems to fade. He's shaping up as a strong bet to come off the board on Day 1.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 2 - 6:42 PM

ian said the same thing about trent. so shouldn't gurley be the best prospect since trent?
And Reggie Bush was also the best thing since sliced bread after Peterson. Trent too.Eventually, they'll be right on one of these guys.
Bush was drafted the year before Peterson.

Gurley can be viewed as a better prospect than Trent, meaning the statement is still true.

beef said:
ian said the same thing about trent. so shouldn't gurley be the best prospect since trent?
Ian is reporting what an evaluator told him, not what he himself said.

Supposedly.

To be fair Gurley looks more like AD then Bush ever could. Trent looked legitimate but proved to have no vision and once his confidence was gone so was his speed.

To be fair Gurley looks more like AD then Bush ever could. Trent looked legitimate but proved to have no vision and once his confidence was gone so was his speed.
Once again, Bush could never be the "next AP". He was drafted a year earlier.
Yes, sorry. Bush was the greatest thing since LT.
You realize being a great prospect is not the same as being a great player, right? And using hindsight to crap on nearly unanimous evaluations at the time is dumb? Great prospects at every position bust.

What would drop Gurley from the 1.01 spot?

Is there landing spots that would drop him? If so, where?

Is there a landing spot for another player that could drop him? If so, who and where?

I realize there's lots of possibilities but let's say just slight variances from the current projections.

Is there a landing spot for another player that could drop him? If so, who and where?

I realize there's lots of possibilities but let's say just slight variances from the current projections.
The only thing that drops him from 1.01 IMO is a poor medical in a few weeks and thus a drop in the draft that isn't expected. Like going in the second round, behind several other fantasy options.

That's what I've been asking myself lately. I have the 1.01 in a large league where I'm okay at RB but weaker at receiver without much depth. I don't draft for need but I'm really liking cooper. This becomes a bit easier if cooper lands in new York but right now they're really close imo.

I think either wr landing in a sweet spot (say the Saints trade up for one) and Gurley landing in a bad spot or falls far would be enough to take the receiver.

Or of course your league could value receiver a lot more than rb.

Depending on the league he could really drop. In a 32 team dynasty I would have a hard time taking him in the top 5

If he went to NE I would have trouble taking him 1st.

Gurley is the 1.01 no matter how things turn out imo...

Almost as good of a 1.01 as Peterson was (I remember people were worried because the Vikings had Chester Taylor)

Slightly better of a 1.01 than Trent Richardson was when he came out (I know Richardson turned out to be dog-meat - but I would make that same pick again everytime - who knew he would get fat and lazy - I guess the Browns knew)....

I can find a WR anywhere - look at the last two drafts - the are absolutely stacked with good/great WRs.

Go and get you your once every 7 year stud RB in Gurley... Who cares where he goes!

Teams that I would perceive to drop Gurley's value: Seattle, NE, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Buffalo, New Orleans, Green Bay

I'm sure people are keeping a close eye on Dallas, Detroit, Arizona, Carolina, San Diego, lesser NYJ/NYG. I would think Gordon could jump him in Dallas or Amari/Kevin White in NO or Denver may be able to do it.

Not saying anything I'm mentioning is feasible just that it could shift things.

Depending on the league he could really drop. In a 32 team dynasty I would have a hard time taking him in the top 5
How's that?

How's that?
I do not value RBs that highly in 32 team leagues (mostly what I play now). Position is far too volatile and his injury would scare me off. Far less risk taking White, Cooper, Parker IMO and with only 32 starting QBs JM and MM come into play due to QB scarcity.

Rotoworld:

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's D. Orlando Ledbetter has the Falcons selecting Georgia RB Todd Gurley at No. 8 overall in his latest mock draft.

This was probably done in an effort to appease local readers, but it's notable nonetheless. Prior to tearing his ACL, Gurley was considered a top-10 pick. Recent reports have Gurley's knee improving quickly, and his stock has steadily been back on the rise as the clear-cut No. 1 back in this class. The Falcons badly need a foundation running back like him. Gurley should be a first-round lock.

Related: Falcons

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Apr 3 - 8:42 AM

Some people will prefer a WR 1st, but outside of that, if Gordon goes to Dallas I imagine there would be a fair amount of people that grab him 1st, especially if Gurley ends ups in a not great situation (for instance if he drops to the early 2nd and goes to the Titans, Jags, Jets, or Raiders).

How's that?
I do not value RBs that highly in 32 team leagues (mostly what I play now). Position is far too volatile and his injury would scare me off. Far less risk taking White, Cooper, Parker IMO and with only 32 starting QBs JM and MM come into play due to QB scarcity.
Understand the logic, but I'll gladly take a top half rb1 (imo he's easily top 16) over qb prospects I don't really like. No way does he fall out of the top 3 in 99% of leagues.

How's that?
You think Parker is less risky than Gurley? Wow...Parker is one of the biggest boom bust players in the 1st round. Give me the transcendent talent at RB, no matter the format.

Rotoworld:

Yahoo Sports' Rand Getlin reports that "a number of teams" believe Georgia RB Todd Gurley "will be selected before Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon "if his knee checks out."

This month the Georgia prospect plans to return to Indianapolis for a medical recheck with NFL team doctors. The 6-foot-1, 236-pound Gurley should hear his name called in the first round of the draft, but those NFL Scouting Combine medicals will be extremely important for Gurley's first round draft stock. Getlin added in another tweet, that "some teams believe Gordon is likely to have a more significant immediate impact," but "they believe Gurley may be better in the long-term."

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter

Apr 3 - 3:09 PM

Some people will prefer a WR 1st, but outside of that, if Gordon goes to Dallas I imagine there would be a fair amount of people that grab him 1st, especially if Gurley ends ups in a not great situation (for instance if he drops to the early 2nd and goes to the Titans, Jags, Jets, or Raiders).
This

Rotoworld:

Yahoo Sports' Rand Getlin reports that "a number of teams" believe Georgia RB Todd Gurley "will be selected before Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon "if his knee checks out."

This month the Georgia prospect plans to return to Indianapolis for a medical recheck with NFL team doctors. The 6-foot-1, 236-pound Gurley should hear his name called in the first round of the draft, but those NFL Scouting Combine medicals will be extremely important for Gurley's first round draft stock. Getlin added in another tweet, that "some teams believe Gordon is likely to have a more significant immediate impact," but "they believe Gurley may be better in the long-term."

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter

Apr 3 - 3:09 PM
Wow he's really putting his reputation on the line with that one!!! :rolleyes:

Rotoworld:

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel's Omar Kelly is "told" Georgia RB Todd Gurley could begin the season on the PUP list.

The best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson, Gurley's November ACL tear is the only reason he is not a first-round lock. He will only be nine months removed from the injury when the NFL season begins, and though his recovery is reportedly going well, it is not out of the question Gurley begins his career on the PUP list. It is something to keep in mind in re-draft formats, but Gurley is still a candidate for the first overall pick in Dynasty drafts.

Source: Omar Kelly on Twitter

Apr 4 - 9:39 AM

Just for fun, who do you pick if...

White goes to Chicago

Cooper to Atlanta

Gurley to San Diego

Gordon to Dallas

Parker to Indy

Just for fun, who do you pick if...

White goes to Chicago

Cooper to Atlanta

Gurley to San Diego

Gordon to Dallas

Parker to Indy
Gurley easy. What's wrong with the San Diego landing spot? Lot's of people seem to be pessimistic about that one I don't get it. Sure their o-line isn't great, but it's not terrible either (or is it?)

Users who are viewing this thread