What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is Allen Hurns? (2 Viewers)

I imagine that has to mean one of T WIlliams or Beasley has to be traded or cut. Or maybe even Dez?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an upgraded situation for Hurns.  Dak is better than Bortles and his position in the offense will be clearer.  Hurns has talent when he is healthy.

Rotoworld take:

Cowboys signed WR Allen Hurns, formerly of the Jaguars, to a two-year contract.

ESPN's Josina Anderson first reported that Hurns told her he's "going to sign with Dallas". Hurns is an immediate upgrade to a Cowboys receiving group that's desperate for depth. Terrance Williams' $3.5 million salary is guaranteed but Hurns could challenge him as starter opposite of Dez Bryant from the moment camp opens. Hurns also led Jacksonville in routes run from the slot last season and could immediately trump Cole Beasley, who's entering the final year of his deal. The Cowboys are in dire need of another playmaker after they inexplicably cut bait on Brice Butler and his average 21.1 yards per catch last season.

Related: Cowboys

Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 23 - 12:54 PM

This is an upgraded situation for Hurns.  Dak is better than Bortles and his position in the offense will be clearer.  Hurns has talent when he is healthy.
Big time upgrade. I think Hurns is a sleeper to be the best WR addition in free agency. He's just got to stay healthy. Dallas has needed a WR opposite Dez, since Miles Austin fell off. That was what, 5 years ago?

Not sure I get why everyone thinks this is such a huge upgrade.  Dallas threw for fewer yards/TDs the last two years than Bortles has in any season since his rookie year.  Jags have had multiple WR1/WR2 fantasy seasons the last few years whereas the best Dallas has squeaked out in the last three years is one WR3 season out of their WR1, which Hurns will not be.

Even if Dez got cut today, what exactly is the upside here.  A poor man's Dez Bryant (who was a mid WR3) in this offense is what, a WR4?

Not sure I get why everyone thinks this is such a huge upgrade.  Dallas threw for fewer yards/TDs the last two years than Bortles has in any season since his rookie year.  Jags have had multiple WR1/WR2 fantasy seasons the last few years whereas the best Dallas has squeaked out in the last three years is one WR3 season out of their WR1, which Hurns will not be.

Even if Dez got cut today, what exactly is the upside here.  A poor man's Dez Bryant (who was a mid WR3) in this offense is what, a WR4?
I think many of us see Dallas as an offense on the rise and think Dak is a player who can be special whereas Bortles is not very good despite large volume. 

I think many of us see Dallas as an offense on the rise and think Dak is a player who can be special whereas Bortles is not very good despite large volume. 
Think Hurns is a garden variety, mid level 2nd wide out. An upgrade from Williams, though. Don’t see this add as particularly significant.

I think this would suggest that he will likely be the #2 WR in Dallas and Williams has never impressed me.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago

Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams is recovering from a broken foot that required surgery, per @toddarcher.

I think this would suggest that he will likely be the #2 WR in Dallas and Williams has never impressed me.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago

Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams is recovering from a broken foot that required surgery, per @toddarcher.
With Dez gone now, does this make Hurns a WR1 in that offense? No doubt they will draft someone on first or second day but how many of this year's rookies can step and be a featured receiver as a rookie?

With Dez gone now, does this make Hurns a WR1 in that offense? No doubt they will draft someone on first or second day but how many of this year's rookies can step and be a featured receiver as a rookie?
Looks like it to me, at least in the foreseeable short term future.There is much out there left in free agency, perhaps with the exception of Eric Decker (and I don't know how much he still has in the tank). Beasley and Witten can pick up some of the slack, but I think Hurns will be the de facto #1 or #2 until whatever rookie they sign can master the offense (which can be done, but is a rather tall order).

Funny how things can change in a short period of time. I own Hurns in 3 leagues and couldn't give him away last year or this one either before he signed with Dallas. Already have gotten some offers today and expect some more.

where would you guys draft him compared to the rookies?

1.    1.01    Moore, D.J. CAR WR
2.    1.02    Ridley, Calvin ATL WR    
3.    1.03    Kirk, Christian ARI WR    
4.    1.04    Sutton, Courtland DEN WR    
5.    1.05    Gallup, Michael DAL WR    
6.    1.06    Miller, Anthony CHI WR    
7.    1.07    Pettis, Dante SFO WR    
8.    1.08    Washington, James PIT WR

After everyone on this list except Pettis.

Cowboys reporter Marcus Mosher reports Allen Hurns was the team's "clear-cut" No. 1 receiver throughout spring practices.

As expected. Hurns inked a two-year, $12 million pact after his release from Jacksonville, and the Cowboys then released Dez Bryant while failing to re-sign Brice Butler. It leaves Hurns as the default top wideout, followed by Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams, and rookie Michael Gallup in whichever order. In an offense that figures to lean on Ezekiel Elliott as much as Elliott's body will allow, maybe only one of these receivers will provide steady fantasy value.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/376895/Allen-Hurns-is-Cowboys'-'clear-cut'-No.-1-WR

In Redraft, I would rank him above all of these guys.  The odds that any of them will have a rookie season that is better than Hurns is slim and I doubt more than one of them does.  

In Dynasty, I would put him after Courtland Sutton, but I am not a big believer in Michael Gallup; I do like Anthony Miller but he is going to be second fiddle there and has an unproven QB; Pettis is intriguing but small--guys that small usually do not become longterm, reliable stars.  I like James Washington better than Pettis and Gallup because he has better size and had three years of great production in a big time conference and landed in a good situation in Pittsburgh.  I might prefer Washington to Hurns in Dynasty.

This guy is going to be a nice Sleeper in DFS ...playing against his old team...its going to be his 1 game all season you jump on ....

Why?   Does he have an axe to grind with Jax? I don’t think I’d ever start him.   Especially this week given his recent throwing management under the bus. And Dak is still the one throwing the ball.  Too murky for me.  

But kudos to you if you nail this one.  

Allen Hurns (ankle) was carted off the field in Saturday's Wild Card game against the Seahawks.

Hurns had tears in his eyes as he was carted off in the first quarter following a gruesome injury that involved his ankle turning completely around. Hurns ultimately hasn't been used much since Dallas brought on Amari Cooper at the deadline, seeing a mere eight targets (less than one per game) since the 24-year-old joined the team in Week 9. Hurns will return to Dallas as receiving depth on the final year of his contract in 2019 since Cole Beasley will likely be long gone via free agency.

Jan 5 - 8:46 PM

Allen Hurns (ankle) has been held out of OTAs.

Hurns is still recovering from the ankle injury that knocked him out of the Wild Card round. He was never expected to get in offseason work. The Cowboys saw enough from Hurns to pick up his 2019 option, but the missed time should give Randall Cobb the early lead over him in three-wide sets.

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter

May 25, 2019, 11:05 AM ET

Cowboys must actually like this guy a decent bit. Gonna pay him $5 million this year that they could have avoided with a $1.25 million cap hit. 

Cowboys must actually like this guy a decent bit. Gonna pay him $5 million this year that they could have avoided with a $1.25 million cap hit. 
He's definitely a pretty decent WR, but he's just hurt so often. Seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with keeping/adding him to your team. 

He's definitely a pretty decent WR, but he's just hurt so often. Seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with keeping/adding him to your team. 
It's kind of hard to believe they are paying Hurns/Cobb nearly $11mil against the cap this year and I'm not sure it's all that likely they will both be healthy at the same time. Probably would have been better off using less than $8mil to pay Golden Tate as he's better than both of them and he's been so much more reliable than either of them.

According to Charean Williams of ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports, Allen Hurns (ankle, leg) is expected to return "at some point" during training camp.

Hurns dislocated his left ankle and also suffered a broken leg in January's Wild Card win over Seattle. Coach Jason Garrett said the wide receiver is "doing great," though he won't be on the field until training camp. When healthy, the 27-year-old will be no better than fourth on Dallas' receiving depth chart behind projected starters Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Randall Cobb.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

May 26, 2019, 9:12 AM ET

Cowboys WRs coach Sanjay Lal said Allen Hurns (ankle, leg) will participate in individual drills during minicamp.

According to Lal, Hurns ran routes against air last week. The veteran receiver is recovering surprisingly quickly from the devastating leg injury he suffered in the Wild Card round. It is possible he is ready for the start of training camp.

SOURCE: Rob Phillips on Twitter

Jun 11, 2019, 12:36 PM ET

Cowboys released WR Allen Hurns.

The Cowboys picked up Hurns' option in March only to release him four months later. Hurns missed the offseason recovering from an ankle injury and broken fibula. He was buried on a crowded depth chart, so this could be better for his playing time if he lands in good spot. With Hurns gone, Michael Gallup, Randall Cobb, and Tavon Austin have clearer paths to snaps behind Amari Cooper.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 23, 2019, 12:35 PM ET

ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports reports free agent WR Allen Hurns will visit the Dolphins on Thursday.

It's his first visit since being let go by Dallas earlier this week. Hurns suffered a grizzly leg injury during last year's postseason but appears to be on track for Week 1. The sixth-year wideout went for 1,000 yards with Jacksonville in 2015 but that was an outlier in what's been an otherwise middling career for the Miami native. The Dolphins' current receiving corps consists of Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker and Albert Wilson.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Jul 25, 2019, 8:56 AM ET

Dolphins WR Allen Hurns suffered a concussion in Week 3 against the Cowboys.

Running as a defenseless receiver, Hurns took a vicious helmet-to-helmet hit from Cowboys S Jeff Heath. He was immediately and obviously concussed. Amazingly, the play was not penalized. Hurns had played 62 snaps over the Dolphins' first two games, catching two balls for 35 yards.
Doubt anyone played him, but you hate to see this from a guy who finally came back this year.

Doubt anyone played him, but you hate to see this from a guy who finally came back this year.
And rather disgusting to see Dallas fans happy that a former team player got his lights knocked out, we've seen far less called for a flag but you can't stop the combo of Sunday and alcohol. Cheers Frank!

Dolphins signed Allen Hurns to a two-year, $8 million extension through 2021.

The deal includes $3.27 million guaranteed. Hurns has fully recovered from dislocating his ankle in the Divisional Round of the 2018 playoffs with the Cowboys. Overall, the six-year veteran has caught 13-of-19 passes for 170 yards and a touchdown while working from both the slot as well as out wide. He'll continue to work inside of 3-WR sets with DeVante Parker and Albert Wilson with Preston Williams (knee, IR) sidelined.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter.

Nov 16, 2019, 4:12 PM ET

Reasonable vet contract, just over 3 million guaranteed. If Preston comes back in 2020, the team can focus on other needs. Albert Wilson is sure to be cut and Grant could be cut. They'd have 3 big WRs, with Parker. Should draft a smaller speed wr on 2020.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article237444674.html?__twitter_impression=true
I agree it’s a reasonable veteran contract, but should be for a reasonably productive one. Seems like Hurns is still being paid off his first few years in Jacksonville.

Allen Hurns delivered four grabs for 53 yards on six targets Sunday in Miami’s Week 11 loss to the Bills.

The 53 yards matched a season-high for the 28-year-old. Hurns dropped a pass and was also charged with a lost fumble Sunday, which came at the end of a 20-yard catch. The Dolphins recently signed the Miami native to a two-year extension. Obviously that doesn't affect his fantasy value in the slightest, though we thought you should know.

Nov 17, 2019, 5:59 PM ET

Allen Hurns caught 4-of-7 targets for 42 yards and a touchdown in Week 12 against the Browns.

Hurns scored a garbage-time touchdown just inside the red-zone on Miami's final drive. He was Miami's No. 2 option with Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant both leaving with injuries. Hurns should see a higher target share going forward if Wilson or Grant miss time.

Allen Hurns (ankle, knee) did not participate in practice Wednesday.

This is an injury report worth monitoring because there's a chance Hurns is Miami's No. 1 receiver this week with DeVante Parker in the concussion protocol. On Wednesday, Parker was limited to a non-contact jersey and individual drills, so he's best viewed as questionable against the Giants in Week 15. Hurns has been battling through these leg injuries this season but will need to return to practice by Friday to suit up.

Dec 11, 2019, 7:09 PM ET

Allen Hurns (knee, anke) was upgraded to "full" on Thursday.

Hurns gave the Dolphins a Wednesday scare but will be good to go for Sunday's choice matchup with the Giants. Depending on the health of DeVante Parker (concussion) and Albert Wilson (concussion), Hurns could be the Dolphins' No. 1 wideout. He is in the low-end WR4 mix in fantasy.

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Dec 12, 2019, 3:09 PM ET

Dolphins WR Allen Hurns has opted out of the 2020 season. 

Hurns' family has a baby on the way. Going on 29, Hurns was looking like the Dolphins' No. 4 receiver after he signed a two-year, $8 million extension last November. It's not a huge loss, but it puts more pressure on Preston Williams to come back strong from his torn ACL. Isaiah Ford, Jakeem Grant and Mack Hollins are the next men up. Hurns' 32/416/2 last season a big success in the context of his devastating 2018-19 playoff injury with the Cowboys. Every player needs to do what is best for their family, but a year out of the league will not help Hurns' 53-man roster odds in 2021. 

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter 

Aug 4, 2020, 3:27 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread