What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR A.J. Green, ARZ (7 Viewers)

Bengals coach Zac Taylor insists the team wants to keep impending free agent A.J. Green.

"We’re still working through that process," Taylor said. "He’s a guy that we are excited about to a part of this team, first and foremost. ... But right now, we expect him to be a part of the team." The "right now" is an obvious hedge, but Green seems to have cooled on his opposition to the franchise tag. The rebuilding Bengals would seem to have much incentive to let Green walk, but the Bengals rarely do the logical thing. Going on 30, Green has appeared in just 35-of-64 games over the past four seasons.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Feb 20, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

An NFC executive told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler he thinks free agent A.J. Green "wants out of Cincinnati."

This doesn't come as a surprise given owner Mike Brown's history of not paying his players. Green has said he wants to avoid the franchise tag and there doesn't look to be much progress on a new deal. After giving Tyler Boyd a four-year, $43 million extension in July, it's possible the rebuilding Bengals let Green walk this offseason. Despite missing all 16 games last year, Green would easily land top-10 receiver money if he hits the open market.

SOURCE: ESPN

Feb 21, 2020, 5:25 PM ET

ESPN: Bengals plan to use franchise tag on receiver A.J. Green

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports the Bengals plan to franchise free agent A.J. Green if a long-term deal isn’t reached.

Long-term talks with Green have stalled due to CBA negotiations. There's been reports Green wants out of Cincinnati, so signing him to an extension isn't going to be easy. Green has told the Bengals he doesn't want to be franchised, but he doesn't have much leverage to hold out after missing all of 2019. Green will make $18.5 million if he's ultimately tagged.
I like AJ but this is a bad decision from him and the Bengals. You can't ##### about wanting to win and the staff and stay, and the Bengals need to allocate money for new weapons on D in a very deep WR class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals coach Zac Taylor said A.J. Green is "fully healthy" ahead of the 2020 season.

He's reportedly working out at full strength separate of the team in Atlanta. While this is an encouraging update after Green missed Taylor's inaugural year at the helm with various (and mysterious) injuries, it need be taken with a grain of salt given the coach's whimsical outlook on the disgruntled 31-year-old wideout. Green has audibly expressed his frustrations with the organization after he was forced the franchise tag following months of empty long-term negotiations, keeping his status for this upcoming season up in the air despite having little leverage in his corner. He'll make $17.9 million if he plays 2020 under the tag.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Apr 8, 2020, 2:52 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bengals and franchise-tagged WR A.J. Green are not expected to get a deal done ahead of Wednesday's 4pm ET deadline.

The two sides haven't come close to meeting in the middle over the last calendar year and will unlikely get there prior to Green hitting unrestricted free agency in 2021. 32 in July, he'll instead make $17.9 million on the franchise tag this upcoming year. Although Green has made it known he doesn't want to play on a one-year deal, he's still expected to report to camp. He ultimately has little leverage to holdout and avoid the regular season for the second straight year.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Jul 15, 2020, 9:58 AM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Bengals and franchise-tagged WR A.J. Green are not expected to get a deal done ahead of Wednesday's 4pm ET deadline.

The two sides haven't come close to meeting in the middle over the last calendar year and will unlikely get there prior to Green hitting unrestricted free agency in 2021. 32 in July, he'll instead make $17.9 million on the franchise tag this upcoming year. Although Green has made it known he doesn't want to play on a one-year deal, he's still expected to report to camp. He ultimately has little leverage to holdout and avoid the regular season for the second straight year.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Jul 15, 2020, 9:58 AM ET
Still worth a 2nd rd rookie pick, but that is about it, and only to winning teams.

A.J. Green signed his franchise tag tender and will report to training camp.

Bengals executive vice president Katie Blackburn said, "We are pleased that he will be part of the team this year, starting with the first practice. By signing, A.J. puts himself and the team in the best position to have a great season together, and we look forward to the opportunity at the end of the season to discuss keeping him here long-term." Green will be under contract for just this season and is set for free agency in 2021. He wants to play for four more seasons and to retire as a Bengal. For fantasy purposes, Green can begin slightly climbing rankings, although he remains a boom-bust pick after skipping the entire 2019 season. Joe Burrow quietly has a ton of receiving weapons to work with headlined by 32-year-old Green, Tyler Boyd, and Joe Mixon.

RELATED: 

Joe Burrow

SOURCE: Bengals on Twitter

Jul 17, 2020, 1:36 PM ET

Bengals WR A.J. Green tweaked his hamstring during practice and watched the rest of the session from the sideline. 

Green didn't "appear to be too concerned," beat writer Tyler Dragon posted on Twitter. HC Zac Taylor said Green sitting out after the tweak was "precautionary." It could be nothing, but it's noteworthy for a 32-year-old wideout who has missed 29 regular season games over the past three seasons. With 16 games, Green would be a tremendous value for fantasy managers who can draft him in the sixth round. Injury concerns will likely suppress his ADP throughout August. 

SOURCE: Tyler Dragon on Twitter 

Aug 17, 2020, 12:09 PM ET

He's like a car with a bent frame. Won't ever be the same again.
One would have to be absolutely insane to draft Green at this point no matter what the round. Why sign up for this headache?   Feels a lot like the Gordan situation of years gone by.  There is just no round he could fall to me where I would want to deal with this right out of the gate

I will kick the tires with a 9+ rounder assuming no one else I like is there. Worse case scenario you replace him with someone else which happens frequently with players drafted that late, while he still has a bunch of upside if he can get healthy and perform like the star player he was before. 

It's simplistic but these guys don't age like fine wine. He's been off the field for an eternity in practical terms. I'll pass.

I will kick the tires with a 9+ rounder assuming no one else I like is there. Worse case scenario you replace him with someone else which happens frequently with players drafted that late, while he still has a bunch of upside if he can get healthy and perform like the star player he was before. 
His adp is roughly 5/6 round.  I think somebody scoops him up before the 9th in any league.  Let some other sucker deal with it

His adp is roughly 5/6 round.  I think somebody scoops him up before the 9th in any league.  Let some other sucker deal with it
Huh, so it is. For some reason I thought his ADP was around 9th round. Well, I will still potentially kick the tires if he is around in the 9th+ round, if not no big deal. 

A.J. Green (hamstring) resumed running on Monday. 

Green, who had done nothing since August 17, ran on the rehab field. Now 32, Green has made a grand total of nine appearances since 2017. Despite his increasingly alarming recent injury history, Green is being drafted as a top-30 receiver. That's a leap of faith. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 24, 2020, 10:08 PM ET

Not in pads for the 1st padded practice. Strap yourselves in, Boyd season is coming
Boyd does better with Green in the lineup. Have rostered Boyd two seasons and had him in dynasty for a moment. When Green draws heat away, Tyler Boyd is better. He's certainly better in the slot than wide when the heat is off.

A.J. Green (hamstring) is expected to return to practice on Wednesday.

The Bengals have held Green out of practice for the last week as a precaution. He's already been on the field rehabbing and doing individual drills this week but will ramp up to full practices starting tomorrow. This soft-tissue tweak is a reminder of Green's injury risk coming off a total wasted 2019, although his upside remains high as one of the more talented receivers of the decade. With the Bengals offense expected to improve with Joe Burrow at quarterback, Green is a classic boom-bust pick in the sixth or seventh round of fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: Paul Dehner Jr. on Twitter

Aug 25, 2020, 2:31 PM ET

I really can't thank you enough.   You sort through the garbage & post good intel.   You are what makes this site special.

Bengals.com reports A.J. Green (hamstring) remains limited to individual drills in practice. 

Practice really hasn't been Green's thing over the past two years. He was supposedly cleared to return six days ago. It was expected that would have included team drills by now. Green first went on the shelf August 17. The 32-year-old injury risk is a massive leap of faith as a WR3.  

SOURCE: bengals.com 

Sep 1, 2020, 5:25 PM ET

Bengals coach Zac Taylor said he expects WR A.J. Green to be "full-go" for Week 1 against the Chargers.

It will be Green's first game action since December 2, 2018. Although the veteran is fully expected to start in the team's home opener, there is a chance he's withheld from full reps after working back from a hamstring injury in camp and simply failing to take the field over the last year and a half. He should be treated as a midrange WR3 with upside in Week 1.

SOURCE: Tyler Dragon on Twitter

Sep 7, 2020, 2:56 PM ET

Bengals WR A.J. Green on Thursday logged his first full practice since 2018.

As Bengals beat reporter Ben Baby notes, it's Green's first full practice session of the Zac Taylor era in Cincinnati. Green told reporters he's 100 percent headed into the team's opening day game against the Chargers. Green and WR Tyler Boyd should be the beneficiaries of a fairly narrow target distribution in a Bengals offense that should throw quite a bit in 2020. Those who drafted Green as their WR2 or WR3 can confidently plug him into their Week 1 lineups. 

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter 

Sep 10, 2020, 1:07 PM ET

Green is my WR3 behind Tyreek and Julio.  If he can be 75-80 % of what he used to be, based on where I got him, he'll be steal and a league winner

I’ve had I’m in my dynasty since he was a rookie. I don’t think there’s a player I’m pulling for more this year. That said, he’s on my bench, but simply because I’m strong at that position. I would have been happy to take him as a WR3 in a 12 team. 

A.J. Green said his hamstring is "back to 100 percent."

Green got in his full first practice Thursday. After a limited training camp, Green won't be on any snap counts for Sunday’s opener with the Chargers. Green hasn’t played a full season since 2017, but his hamstring issues look behind him.

SOURCE: Cincinnati Enquirer

Sep 11, 2020, 11:26 AM ET

AJ is my boy. All in with him across leagues. Such an incredibly skilled player with good athleticism when healthy. Fingers crossed that the stars align this year.

A.J. Green caught 5-of-9 targets for 51 yards in the Bengals' Week 1 loss to the Chargers.

Green led the Bengals in all receiving categories, including target share (25%). It didn't necessarily translate to a big box score because of tight coverage from the Chargers' stacked corner group, but it's a good sign that Green will be in the mix for WR3 numbers moving forward. Green also had a touchdown grab called back because of offensive pass interference. Next week Green will face a Browns' secondary that dealt with injuries in Week 1, making him an upside WR3/4.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a very little bit of this game and AJG looks great. He will struggle to put up consistent numbers as the offense does not look in sync, at least yet. But I don’t think his skills have diminished significantly. 

I watched a very little bit of this game and AJG looks great. He will struggle to put up consistent numbers as the offense does not look in sync, at least yet. But I don’t think his skills have diminished significantly. 
They got caught up in a terrible hide-the-Qb type of game script for most of the game. Hopefully it won’t be as conservative in a more open game against a less defensive team. Agreed AJ looked great and seemingly came out healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread