What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (2 Viewers)

Lions appear ready to make Adrian Peterson their lead back

Lions appear ready to make Adrian Peterson their lead back

Adrian Peterson played more snaps Sunday than he had in the first two games combined.

Peterson, who signed six days before the season opener, played 24 snaps in Week One and 15 in Week Two. He saw 21 touches in those two games combined, while sharing the backfield with Kerryon Johnson and D'Andre Swift.

In Sunday’s game against Arizona, Peterson played 40 snaps and got 22 carries for 75 yards as well as one catch for 10 yards. Johnson got three carries and one reception and Swift one catch.

It appears the Lions are ready to make Peterson their lead back for the foreseeable future, too...
Go to the link for the full read.

Lions RB Adrian Peterson said he wants to play five more seasons in the NFL. 

That would put Peterson at 40 years old. It's tough to bet against the indestructible running backs who somehow becomes the lead early down back on every team he plays for. Last week, Peterson saw 22 carries, serving as the centerpiece of Detroit's offense. He could be creating uncertainty in NFL backfields for another five years. What is dead may never die. 

SOURCE: Dave Birkett on Twitter 

Oct 1, 2020, 3:21 PM ET

Adrian Peterson rushed 11 times for 36 yards and one touchdown in the Lions' Week 4 loss to the Saints.

He failed to catch either of his two targets in the passing game, having one clank off his chest plate in the first quarter. Peterson has obviously cemented himself atop the depth chart as the Lions' early-down runner, but he's averaged just 3.36 yards per carry over the last two weeks and brings nothing to the table as a pass catcher. Peterson has some RB3/FLEX value for desperate fantasy managers, but he's wholly dependent on scoring touchdowns. The Lions have their bye ahead of a Week 6 date at Jacksonville.

- Rotoworld
This really needs a thread title update. @TheFanatic where are you?

Lions RB Adrian Peterson (illness) practiced fully Friday. 

The elder statesman looks to be on track for Sunday's game against Jacksonville. He shapes up as a solid RB3 option against a middling Jaguars run defense. Jaguars opponents have averaged 29.6 rush attempts per game this season -- the eighth highest mark in the NFL. 

SOURCE: Tim Twentyman on Twitter

Oct 16, 2020, 2:59 PM ET

Adrian Peterson rushed 15 times for 40 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' Week 6 win over the Jaguars, adding an 18-yard reception. 

The 15 carries were Peterson's second most of the season, but the big news in the Lions' backfield was second-round rookie D'Andre Swift mixing in for 14 totes of his own, turning them into 116 yards and two scores. That long-awaited development badly damages Peterson's FLEX standing, though we know the Lions are a conservative enough team that they simply won't hand the keys over to the rook. Peterson will need a score to return Week 7 fantasy dividends vs. the Falcons. 

Oct 18, 2020, 7:20 PM ET

Still getting 15 carries and a chance at TDs. In the running back desert, you can do a lot worse. Will be interesting to see how he’s utilized next week after Swift’s breakout game.

My running back stables are in shambles with byes and injury. I’m thinking of trading Mattison to the Cook owner for AP. As a Vikings fan, I’ve never owned him in fantasy. This is my chance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrian Peterson rushed eight times for 29 yards in the Lions' Week 9 loss to the Vikings.

Peterson continues to start for the Lions, but Detroit gets blown out so often that he's quickly faded out of the game plan in favor of playmakers D'Andre Swift and Kerryon Johnson. Still, this three-man RBBC keeps Peterson and Johnson off the fantasy radar and Swift a mere RB3. Peterson might have a chance to get something going next week at home against Washington where the Lions could be favored.

- Rotoworld
We ever getting a thread title change @TheFanatic?

You may want to ask a moderator to this one as I think he doesnt play FF anymore and doesnt care about thread titles.
Yep. I come here about once a month. Don't play FF and don't even watch the NFL anymore. Why is this even still an issue? Why would someone need to change the thread title? Just let the thread die. It's a little sad.

Yep. I come here about once a month. Don't play FF and don't even watch the NFL anymore. Why is this even still an issue? Why would someone need to change the thread title? Just let the thread die. It's a little sad.
Joe asked the community to update the thread titles when something major changes. Some of the folks who post here frequently have fun with changing the thread titles of things frequently for fun.

This particular thread is the one that is linked in the index of the threads, so the one we want to keep. Having a history of a player in a thread can be useful in dynasty or just people appreciating this game and the players. Imagine for a moment that you decided you wanted to play FF again. You could read a thread on a player and catch up on what happened pretty quickly despite not having paid any attention for those years.

I don't see anything sad about trying to make things you are using better, which is all Frankman is trying to do. I can see why you would be annoyed by being sent a status alert about something your not interested in though.

@FBG Moderator could you or someone change the thread title to Adrian Peterson Detroit Lions? 

Adrian Peterson rushed four times for 21 yards in the Lions' Week 10 win over Washington, adding one reception for nine yards. 

It was one of Peterson's 11 revenge games this season against a former team. DeAndre Swift dominated backfield snaps and touches as the Lions look like they're done with the AP experiment that perplexed and frustrated fantasy managers for much of the season. He should only be rostered as a bench stash in deep leagues for fantasy managers thirsty for usable running back options. 

- Rotoworld

Adrian Peterson rushed 15 times for 55 yards and two touchdowns in Detroit's Week 12 loss to Houston.

Detroit tried to establish 35-year-old Peterson without D'Andre Swift (concussion) available, handing AP the ball from one-yard out for the team's only two touchdowns in the first half. Matt Patricia then thought it would be wise to call 10 consecutive runs to open the third quarter, settling for a field goal after an unsuccessful 14-play drive; Peterson's 19-yard run during that stretch was his first rush of more than 10 yards since Detroit's Week 5 bye. With no receiving game usage to speak of, fantasy players can ignore Peterson's touchdown-or-bust outlook in Week 13 against the Bears even if Swift remains sidelined.

Nov 26, 2020, 4:45 PM ET

Adrian Peterson rushed seven times for 63 yards and one touchdown in the Lions' Week 17 loss to the Vikings.

After being cut by Washington, Peterson surfaced as an early-down grinder for the Lions during his age-35 season. 3,000 carries later, AP’s big-play ability has been stripped but reaching 603 yards this season was an impressive feat nonetheless. A 2021 free agent, it’s unclear how much longer Peterson wants to play. Assuming he returns for another campaign, Peterson will have to settle for a depth role a la Frank Gore. He averaged just 3.9 yards per carry in 2020. Peterson’s free agency departure further unlocks D’Andre Swift’s outlook.

- Rotoworld

Formers Lions RB Adrian Peterson said in an interview that he wants to play for a contender in 2021.

Peterson has never made it to a Super Bowl despite playing for five different teams across 14 seasons. Now 36 years old, Peterson is looking to be a role player on a talented roster rather than a workhorse on a basement-dweller. Pittsburgh and Miami are two teams with playoff-caliber rosters and sizable holes at running back. Peterson has previously talked about chasing Emmitt Smith's career rushing record, which he's currently 3,535 yards behind. A substantial workload while splitting time with a rookie could help him cut Smith's lead. Wherever Peterson lands, he's likely to take an uncomfortable amount of work away from a younger back, much to the chagrin of fantasy players.

SOURCE: SiriusXM Radio

Apr 20, 2021, 9:11 PM ET

Wants to be traded to a contender?  Probably too late, but you never know.  Talk about a generational talent in his prime.  

JohnnyU said:
Wants to be traded to a contender?  Probably too late, but you never know.  Talk about a generational talent in his prime.  
Isn't he a free agent?   I can see it if he's willing to sign for a relatively low contract and be part of a committee. 

Adrian Peterson said he's "staying in shape" and hopes to sign with a team before the season.

"The training is going well. I’m going to control the things I can right now, and when that time comes, somebody will give me a call,” Peterson said, via Aaron Wilson of SportsTalk 790. “That’s all I’m asking for. My body feels good. I’m ready to play.” Peterson, who started 10 games for the Lions last year, "wants to earn a Super Bowl before he retires" and is willing to accept a backup role. There's a chance Peterson can pass Barry Sanders for fourth all-time in rushing yards if he returns for another season. The seven-time Pro Bowler is prepared to wait out teams into training camp.

SOURCE: Sportstalk 790

Jul 16, 2021, 7:05 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans will work out free agent RB Adrian Peterson.

The workout will reportedly happen on Monday. The swiftness of this move suggests the Titans expect Derrick Henry to be out for a long time if not the season. FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports Henry fractured the fifth metatarsal in his foot against the Colts on Sunday. Tennessee could also look to the trade market ahead of Tuesday's deadline.  

RELATED: 

Derrick Henry

, Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 1, 2021, 11:21 AM ET

Just dropped L. Murray for AP. The hell with it.

Will now just wait and see. If no AP signing I can still pick Murray back up before tonight's kickoff.

Any running back with volume is worth a speculative pickup. Especially a contender in Titans whose scheme revolves around the RB. 

AD actually did decent in Arizona / Lions and neither teams were as suited for the run as Titans. You lose speed as you get older, but AD is still savvy and he is reliable which may be enough for Titans to stay competitive. Frank Gore is a perfect example of someone who never went away because of what he brought to the table.

AD said he only wanted to play this year for a contender. He wants that ring. If you're worried he didn't go anywhere else that needed RBs this years, I think he was tired of playing for teams like the Lions that went nowhere and was waiting for someone like TN to pop up.

I wouldn't be so sure to blacklist a guy who is essentially free.

ADP looked springy at times last year. Of course nothing like peak All Day but def better than most guys you sign off the street.

Added in both dynasties. Cut Flash in one and the other I went into weekend with extra spot after a Sunday morning spite cut. 😆

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans signed RB Adrian Peterson.

Peterson will be signed to the practice squad and then elevated to the active roster. Derrick Henry is undergoing foot surgery that will likely sideline him through the end of the regular season. The Titans' only other running back on their roster is Jeremy McNichols, who has gotten some run on third downs this year. He will likely play an expanded role with Henry out but Peterson projects to earn the bulk of the early-down snaps once up to speed. Peterson ran for 604 yards at a sluggish, 3.9 yards per carry for the Lions last year. Prior to that he spent a pair of seasons in Washington and ran well despite playing on a poor offense. The Titans should shift toward passing more often now that their star running back is gone but don't expect them to lose their identity as a run-heavy team. Once integrated into the offense, Peterson should be able to put up RB2/3 numbers as the recipient of loads of carries on an efficient team. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 1, 2021, 3:00 PM ET

I can pick him up but I would have to drop Toney.  Hmmmm
Personally, I'd rather keep Toney and pay waiver bucks for AP and hope everyone else in your league rather spend money on Sargent and McNichols. Or Maybe you get those guys instead because no one knows how this backfield will shake up. 

Worked for me with Herbert.

Blowing 100% on him. There are other teams that need him more than me and have more money but will they??
I’m curious, did you get Peterson? How much did you spend?

More people are sleeping on him than I expected. I think he’s going to surprise a lot of folks, as he usually does in these situations.

I’m curious, did you get Peterson? How much did you spend?

More people are sleeping on him than I expected. I think he’s going to surprise a lot of folks, as he usually does in these situations.
I chickened out and only did 40% and ended up winning by $5, so it worked out. I did this mostly to block other teams but hopefully he pans out!

I bid all I had left on him (50%). Got him by a little bit.

This isn't toiling away in Washington or Detroit. This is a legitimate title shot and a chance to mentor younger legend (and keep his title hopes alive). 

If you're one of the five best running backs ever and every time you walk off the field you got to look Derrick Henry in the eyes, you're leaving it all out on the field.

There are two others in my league that has more faab than me and one had Henry so doubt I get either him or mc Nichols but I’m blowing it all to try for both at least 

Users who are viewing this thread