What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (7 Viewers)

Looking more and more like the stud RB era is ovah. The worst three teams in my main money league are those that drafted 1 2 3 - Charles, McCoy and Peterson. After watching the Eagles today you can see why. It's all pass all the time. The Eagles were up 21-10 on the road, with the best RB in football... And they finish the game with 43 passes and 11 runs.
Excellent point. Hated the shotgun passes at the end of the game. Thought McCoy started to get a little life on that drive and could have punched it in even though they had been stuffed previously.

It could be worse. I have lacy, Charles and McCoy in my dynasty league. You would think I would be set at rb wouldn't you? Knowshown Moreno has more points scored on my bench and he hasn't played in two and a half weeks!!!!
Has anyone taken your shoe strings and belt away from you? Seriously, how are you even surviving this year with those guys?

I can take some duds running the ball, but with them passing so much, a big part of the concern is he is not involved in the passing game for whatever reason.

Despite my rather intense feeling of sacrilegious comparison labeling, I sense a Barry Sanders/McCoy stat line comparison is appropriate.
And that is why shady owners are stuck with him and should be because while those 4 for 17 days exist, so do those 21 for 187 and 2 days.IF IF IF you can survive this bad start, he will certainly pay dividends as the season goes on, the weather turns, and the line returns to health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to sell this guy on name value. He looks terrible.
Good luck with that.
The commish in one of my leagues made McCoy available looking for 2 young WRs or 1 young WR and one young RB, so I offered him Mike Evans and Terrence Williams for McCoy and he rejected it. I thought it was a pretty damn good offer myself.
Really?Sounds like a dynasty league - amirite? What drugs are you on, to think that was a "pretty damn good offer" ????

Your lucky that commish didn't just lock your roster and return your entry fee - after making a slack-jawed offer like that. Now go sit in the corner
:goodposting:

Maybe throw in Bernard Pierce and Priest Holmes too.
Wait! I'll take that trade!

I offered Charles and Wayne for McCoy and Keenan Allen earlier in the week. Once Charles was said to be a go for Monday I pulled it back. The owner today said he really thought about but held off. Now he's kicking himself.

I offered Charles and Wayne for McCoy and Keenan Allen earlier in the week. Once Charles was said to be a go for Monday I pulled it back. The owner today said he really thought about but held off. Now he's kicking himself.
I would keep Shady and Allen. Not even close for me. The Eagles will fix their OL problems.

For those who own shady what are some trades that you personally would accept. Im obviously not asking if you would accept foster for shady or AJ green for shady but maybe like would you accept Alf and asiata or trades along those lines. I'm looking to buy low on him I believe he bounces back big just a matter of time to get that o-line together and I'm just curious on what to offer to panicking owners.

For those who own shady what are some trades that you personally would accept. Im obviously not asking if you would accept foster for shady or AJ green for shady but maybe like would you accept Alf and asiata or trades along those lines. I'm looking to buy low on him I believe he bounces back big just a matter of time to get that o-line together and I'm just curious on what to offer to panicking owners.
I think you find a Shady owner who has other holes and offer a 2-1 deal. Something like Alshon + Lamar Miller or Michael Floyd + Gore. Give them two viable starters in exchange for a struggling superstar.

I'm definitely worried about Shady, but because my team is good enough to weather the storm, I wouldn't trade much. Gotta find a guy who's desperate.

don't own him this year, but aside from the o line smelling like hot garbage, it doesn't help that sproles is taking a bigger chunk of the touches than most of us assumed.

the SF defense owned that game. the only reason it was a game was the 3 D/ST scores. not sure i'd even want to buy low @ this point.

I'm about to drop to 0-4 in a league where a guy drafted the Seattle defense in the 1st round because of Shady. I'm normally a patient owner who rides out tough streaks but I am about to sell low. I can't take this anymore.

McCoy doesn't look right to me. Normally those plays where he's stretching it to the sidelines he's able to make a cutback and at least get 2-3 yards out of it, but it just seemed like he handfights then goes down. Old man sproles looked more spry to me.

Probably not the best game to judge him by though because it seemed like Fangio had the defense completely prepared for whatever philly threw at them.

Once again, does anyone have any thought or insight on the "turf toe that's not really turf toe" he was diagnosed with right before the season?

I really want to buy low based on the system but if he's physically off he may be dead money without a few weeks off

Rotoworld:

Chip Kelly absolved LeSean McCoy of blame for his 29 carries and 39 yards over the last two weeks.

"We got whooped up front," Kelly said after the loss to the 49ers. "We're not very good up front right now. We've got a lot of guys banged up. That's not an excuse, it's just the reality." The Eagles will get RT Lane Johnson back for Week 5 against the Rams, but C Jason Kelce and LG Evan Mathis aren't coming back anytime soon. The Eagles need to figure out a way to stop penetration in the backfield and get McCoy going north-south. We're confident Kelly will find a way to do that.

Source: CSN Philly Sep 28 - 11:06 PM

I am buying to be quite honest. #### it. This is an uber-talented player in his prime. It's one thing when you are winning to struggle. At that point you are retiscent to rock the boat. But now they lost and struggled so the questions come at you much harder from both players and media, and also the other coaches. Let's not forget this is the 49ers they played. Sure they've struggled a bit but they were considered right at the top in terms of true defense. They are no joke. At all. Demarco Murray is the only back to have success against them. Forte got shut down and so did Ellington before this clunker by McCoy.

I think McCoy bounces back in a big way this week. I'm holding, and buying in dynasty leagues.

It is funny though as two weeks in a row, I go to catch up on where my team is standing in scoring and he is sitting with 1 point. I refresh and refresh, cuz it can't be right...top RB with 1 point and they are in the second half of their game? Yep, its right...yep, its that bad. :shock:

It is funny though as two weeks in a row, I go to catch up on where my team is standing in scoring and he is sitting with 1 point. I refresh and refresh, cuz it can't be right...top RB with 1 point and they are in the second half of their game? Yep, its right...yep, its that bad. :shock:
I agree. I'm expecting to see that he's out of the game with injury. But he's healthy and they are just sucking.

I am buying to be quite honest. #### it. This is an uber-talented player in his prime. It's one thing when you are winning to struggle. At that point you are retiscent to rock the boat. But now they lost and struggled so the questions come at you much harder from both players and media, and also the other coaches. Let's not forget this is the 49ers they played. Sure they've struggled a bit but they were considered right at the top in terms of true defense. They are no joke. At all. Demarco Murray is the only back to have success against them. Forte got shut down and so did Ellington before this clunker by McCoy.

I think McCoy bounces back in a big way this week. I'm holding, and buying in dynasty leagues.
These are my thoughts, as well, for a few reasons.

Like you say, now that they lost, they can't say "well, we are winning" and the issues are so spotlighted that they have to address it.

If you are looking at a thread like this it is probably because you are an owner who is struggling. Well...its weeks five coming up and for 0-4, 1-3 type teams, this is pretty much make or break anyway so why not push all your chips (no pun intended) in and bet it all on one of the best backs in the league? If you hit, you have a chance this season and if not, it's likely over anyway.

Once again, does anyone have any thought or insight on the "turf toe that's not really turf toe" he was diagnosed with right before the season?

I really want to buy low based on the system but if he's physically off he may be dead money without a few weeks off
doesnt look like a problem, although he shares blame with the line. The hole might not be highway sized like last year, but they're there, stop bouncing everything outside where defenders are waiting.

MAC are you concerned? When scrolling through this thread, I noticed you said you weren't earlier. How about now?
nope, regain trust in the line and he will be fine. Right now is the time to buy. The Rams linebackers have been putrid vs. the run. Just need to get through his bye 3-4 or better.

The good news is he's still on pace for 280 carries and 40 catches for 320 total touches.

The bad news is he's still on pace for 1024 total yards and 4 TDs.

This almost feels like a Shaun Alexander cliff drop.

Seems foolish to sell before the Rams game. Having McCoy and Foles is going to kill a team that has multiple players performing over their ADP...

MAC are you concerned? When scrolling through this thread, I noticed you said you weren't earlier. How about now?
nope, regain trust in the line and he will be fine. Right now is the time to buy. The Rams linebackers have been putrid vs. the run. Just need to get through his bye 3-4 or better.
The Rams LBs may suck vs. the run but Philly really needs to worry about that front 4 vs. their injury depleted and pathetic oline.

What irks me is that I sit 2-2 & I dont "need" Shady to be all world to win. Hell, if he had just posted decent RB2 numbers this week is be 3-1. Owners who are in worse shape record-wise need to be careful about selling low here. I still have faith, but damn....where is Shady in the passing game? 1 recep combined weeks 3 & 4.

The Rams LBs may suck vs. the run but Philly really needs to worry about that front 4 vs. their injury depleted and pathetic oline.
certainly a problem, but one that can be neutralized given the Rams issues in the back seven.

The lack of receptions is really the big question. The Oline is very banged up and struggling. Of course the running game is going to suffer. But where are the dump off passes? Where are the screens? McCoy is great in the passing game but not getting used.

Kelly's offense is on tape now, 20 games worth...teams are working harder to stop the run and have an idea on how to do it.

The OL gets Johnson back this week, but their best OG and C are still 3/4 and 6/7 games away from being back, respectively.

Shady is talented in space, but he dances way too much and is getting -1 when he should be getting 1-2. He's forcing the Eagles behind the chains too often and not helping himself get 2nd and 3rd down touches.

They seem to favor sproles in the passing game, and Shady was half-a$$ing all of his routes this past game...nothing was sharp and he didn't work to get open after initial coverage was in place.

Sproles has continued to look good and will eat into touches all year.

That said, I can't sell this low, but I'm expecting more of a RB2 from here on out than a top tier RB1. The guy has talent, but in his current situation he's going to struggle to find consistent success. He's more of a

The lack of receptions is really the big question. The Oline is very banged up and struggling. Of course the running game is going to suffer. But where are the dump off passes? Where are the screens? McCoy is great in the passing game but not getting used.
Screen passes are all on tape and being easily diagnosed at this point...LBs and DL all over every one I've seen them throw.

He's not running sharp routes and isn't working to get open after initial coverage is there.

Sproles is getting some of the looks he got last year, especially redzone routes and screens.

There was definitely concern when the Eagles acquired Sproles, but even he just has 5 receptions over the last two weeks. If would look better if McCoy got those balls, but even that would not be saving his stat line. They are moving away from the dump offs they employed last year. The question, (as you proposed) is why?

There was definitely concern when the Eagles acquired Sproles, but even he just has 5 receptions over the last two weeks. If would look better if McCoy got those balls, but even that would not be saving his stat line. They are moving away from the dump offs they employed last year. The question, (as you proposed) is why?
they haven't been working when they have tried them because the defense is pressing the line because Foles has been mostly terrible going down field.

they haven't been working when they have tried them because the defense is pressing the line because Foles has been mostly terrible going down field.
Probably doesn't help when they insist on targeting Cooper so much. I can't believe that Sproles/McCoy/Ertz aren't better short and long range options and Maclin is certainly a better down the field playmaker.

Every time the Eagles tried a screen (even when they tried to misdirect) the niners sniffed it out. You could tell the defense had specifically prepared for philly's screen game by completely decking any wr or rb within 5 yards of the LOS.

Probably doesn't help when they insist on targeting Cooper so much. I can't believe that Sproles/McCoy/Ertz aren't better short and long range options and Maclin is certainly a better down the field playmaker.

If I were a McCoy owner in redraft, I would look to sell. If I could find a trade partner with a top 15-20 player that is performing well, I'd do it.

Busts come in many shapes and sizes. Typically, for redraft 1st and 2nd rounders, they are injuries. But sometimes the situation just falls apart around a player. I've watched Larry Fitzgerald lose a number of years of his prime from crappy QB play. Same thing with Steve Smith. Those are HOF, or close to it, type players. McCoy seems to have lost his Oline. It doesn't look like a short term problem. Even when those guys come back, there's no guarantees' they'll be healthy enough to be a huge improvement. He'll probably break free for some nice games this year, but I'm very skeptical about a top 10 finish at this point.

In dynasty, I'd likely hold depending upon my roster makeup. It sucks that he's going to lose one of his prime years to this, but that is looking like the reality at this point. I think you have to face the reality though that this is a 26 year old RB in his 6th season. There's just not too many of them that stay elite too far past that. Maybe he can be a Tomlinson, and crank out a few more good to great seasons, or maybe he's Jones-Drew who hit the wall after an injury at 27. Impossible to say at this point.

You have to get the ball to your best player in space. If there is no room to run, then get him pitches or passes. Even with running, it makes no sense to keep running out of this spread instead of power.

I think you can also look to the fact that they're being out possessed at a 24:21 to 35:39 clip, as both a cause and effect of their running game being off.

Still, I think McCoy has to do a better job of keeping them ahead of the chains on first down and he'll get more first and second down touches. If he can do that, I think Kelly calls a much more confident game, from a running standpoint.

If I were a McCoy owner in redraft, I would look to sell. If I could find a trade partner with a top 15-20 player that is performing well, I'd do it.

Busts come in many shapes and sizes. Typically, for redraft 1st and 2nd rounders, they are injuries. But sometimes the situation just falls apart around a player. I've watched Larry Fitzgerald lose a number of years of his prime from crappy QB play. Same thing with Steve Smith. Those are HOF, or close to it, type players. McCoy seems to have lost his Oline. It doesn't look like a short term problem. Even when those guys come back, there's no guarantees' they'll be healthy enough to be a huge improvement. He'll probably break free for some nice games this year, but I'm very skeptical about a top 10 finish at this point.

In dynasty, I'd likely hold depending upon my roster makeup. It sucks that he's going to lose one of his prime years to this, but that is looking like the reality at this point. I think you have to face the reality though that this is a 26 year old RB in his 6th season. There's just not too many of them that stay elite too far past that. Maybe he can be a Tomlinson, and crank out a few more good to great seasons, or maybe he's Jones-Drew who hit the wall after an injury at 27. Impossible to say at this point.
You're probably dead on YET...we all (maybe foolishly) entertain thoughts in our heads about how this guy could still be carrying you to fantasy titles this year, and next, and the one after.. two years from now at age 28, can he be Barry Sanders-like when he was 28? Can he be Matt forte as he was last year?

Interesting stats -- Philly has thrown the ball on first down 51 times, compared to 20 rushes (teams stacking the box on early downs?). They're 20th in the league in converting 3rd downs and they have the 8th most 1st down penalties. They have also been penalized overall 36 times, good for stand alone 4th place. 26th overall in rushing yards per game.

From watching the past few games, they always seem to be behind the chains. They have to do better on first down, or this running mess will continue. Bye week is early-ish (week 7), which can't hurt.

McCoy owner, not incredibly worried, but I did receive an interesting trade offer this AM.

McCoy and Asiata for Bell.....

Seriously coonsidering this as Asiata was a waiver add and McKinnon is bound to get more work......

McCoy owner, not incredibly worried, but I did receive an interesting trade offer this AM.

McCoy and Asiata for Bell.....

Seriously coonsidering this as Asiata was a waiver add and McKinnon is bound to get more work......
Receiving Lev Bell is beyond what I could reasonably expect in my redraft league. I'd be all over that
I would make that trade in a second. Bell is so much better in FF this year than McCoy. There is something wrong in Philly. There may be something wrong with McCoy.

Offered Ivory and T Williams to the 1-3 McCoy owner. Fingers crossed. Given his usage yesterday, though, I may be offering too much.

Users who are viewing this thread