What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (3 Viewers)

I'm sure it's a mistake, but McCoy has an O designation next to his name on yahoos site.

I don't know where they pull their injury designations from.

Likely nothing to see here, but it would require me to go grab a free agent pretty quickly if there is any news on McCoy that we don't know about.

As many have said, the line is the thing but Shady is also dynamic enough (and the coaching is certainly smart enough) to re-look at this now and maybe use the passing game more out of necessity.

I think that will result in Sproles maybe losing some of the value he has had early on and Shady increasing a bit (but not getting back to where we expect him until later in the season when the line is sound again).

Last season McCoy got a very high percentage of the carries, right? But this year, Sproles has eaten into to the rushing pie a little bit more than expected. And the Eagles have passed the ball way more than last season (which I would think is subject to change). Yet, shady is still on pace for 320 carries.

Honestly, McCoy just hasn't played so well so far. From what I've seen, he's danced around a little too much. I have confidence he'll start to play better eventually, probably sooner rather than later.

Who here would take Le'Veon Bell for McCoy?

Hey Guys

Stick around for a few if ya can Im gonna try an get some of the TRich posters in here, and well get this party started!

This value will go from potential RB1 all the way down to not roster worthy in 10-man Leagues Just you wait n see!

Everyone needs to be sure to check back tonight for posts..

What your looking for is guys who appear to have been ready to post something like " Worst Dynasty trade offer " But yet have worded it differently.. Itll look something more like: I just got offered "insert name" for McCoy and an early 2nd round pick. Im hoping to counter, but I gotta be extra smooth" ---signed former TRich Owner

On a more serious note! Im quite aware of the lack of production I was eyeballin actual rushing yds between McCoy and Trich recently.. Im thinkin its possible that Defenses have been on the lookout and Lucky. OLine injury's could play a small role (Studs usually only have so many excuses) McCoy is a Stud imho This also could be similar to how Coach Shanny calls run to watch how the defense reacts. I truly don't know! But, I believe hes a great RB!

Call me stupid. I can take it. I just offered Shady for Julio (he's desperate for RBs and I'm loaded there) straight up in a PPR league. I think the O-line problems are going to be too much to consistently overcome.
Update. Guy declined the trade. Which of us was the stupid one here?

Call me stupid. I can take it. I just offered Shady for Julio (he's desperate for RBs and I'm loaded there) straight up in a PPR league. I think the O-line problems are going to be too much to consistently overcome.
I'd decline that offer too. Julio Jones is the #1 scoring non QB in PPR. He was on a similar pace last year before getting hurt. He's no fluke.

Shady has about half as many points to date, and is sitting there right next to Larry Donnell.

Obviously, Shady is a very good bet to finish a long ways ahead of Larry Donnell, but there's genuine reason to think Shady will finish the year as a fringe RB1. Meanwhile Julio has given us plenty of reason to believe he'll finish the season as one of the top few players.

Julio, if healthy will straight up get 20 points every week. LeCheap McNuggets angered the fantasy gods by not leaving a tip and now is paying the price. Your next offer should be LeBust for Lamar Miller or VJax.

I'd decline that offer too. Julio Jones is the #1 scoring non QB in PPR. He was on a similar pace last year before getting hurt. He's no fluke.

Shady has about half as many points to date, and is sitting there right next to Larry Donnell.

Obviously, Shady is a very good bet to finish a long ways ahead of Larry Donnell, but there's genuine reason to think Shady will finish the year as a fringe RB1. Meanwhile Julio has given us plenty of reason to believe he'll finish the season as one of the top few players.
[SIZE=14.1666660308838px]To build onto this response.. Offering up McCoy after the crappiest game of his career as a starter (and off to a subpar start to the season) for Julio after one of his best career games (and absolutely balling thru 3 games) seems kind of like a dumb move... If I owned Julio I would have declined too, and I own McCoy everywhere I had the opportunity to draft him.[/SIZE]

I am concerned but there a lot of football games yet. It is a tough year for RBs in FF.

It looks like McCoy is trying too hard rather than just playing the game.

I am concerned but there a lot of football games yet. It is a tough year for RBs in FF.

Maybe they should try a regular running play rather than hand him the ball 20 times from the shotgun with zero momentum with defenders right in his face. Dude neeeds to make a nice run just to get back to the LOS. A draw works once in a while not every carry

Anyone picking up Polk?

Seems like Sproles' price tag is still steep, but I can't see him playing bell cow with how much this offense runs the ball.

Anyone picking up Polk?

Seems like Sproles' price tag is still steep, but I can't see him playing bell cow with how much this offense runs the ball.
I have dabbled with picking up Polk a few times, but I am unsure how productive he would be if McCoy went down.

Maybe they should try a regular running play rather than hand him the ball 20 times from the shotgun with zero momentum with defenders right in his face. Dude neeeds to make a nice run just to get back to the LOS. A draw works once in a while not every carry
they ran 90+ percent of their plays out of shotgun last year when he lead the league in rushing

Anyone picking up Polk?

I have dabbled with picking up Polk a few times, but I am unsure how productive he would be if McCoy went down.
hard to tell with such a small sample size, but i believe he has 4 TD's on 13 touches in his NFL career - averaged 9 ypc last year on 11 attempts

they ran 90+ percent of their plays out of shotgun last year when he lead the league in rushing
A run out of the shotgun is fun. Get the guy moving though rather than tsking it at a total stand still every time.

Anyone picking up Polk?

hard to tell with such a small sample size, but i believe he has 4 TD's on 13 touches in his NFL career - averaged 9 ypc last year on 11 attempts
Give the dude 20 carries a game, that's like 60 TDs and 4,000 rushing yards in a season. Why the hell isn't Chip Kelly giving Polk the ball?

Yea, there's no way any team in the league used the shotgun 90% of the time. This isn't college.

If you're going to make outrageous claims like that, back them up.

Yea, there's no way any team in the league used the shotgun 90% of the time. This isn't college.

I do think 90% of his runs were out of the shotgun last game. Every run I saw was, which was at least 12. I assume the other 7 were similar. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

And thing is, every single one, he gets the ball at a stand still and then has to make a super quick highlight reel move to dodge the defenders coming at him rather than already having momentum to get somewhere. Just looks like a horrible running gameplan that has been figured out

Maybe i am reading something wrong?

• Based on his season numbers and the Eagles’ league-leading shotgun usage, it’s no surprise to see Nick Foles top the list in QB Rating, TD percentage, INT percentage, and Yds/Attempt

• All three Eagles quarterbacks (Foles, Michael Vick, Matt Barkley) were in the shotgun on over 90 percent of their dropbacks

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/03/qbs-in-focus-shotgun/

Was looking up some infor regarding the Philly O-line and ran into this article. Looks like Chip is switching a few things up. This and the return of Lane Johnson next week should make things better, I hope :confused: :

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140924_Eagles_Notebook__Eagles_set_revamped_O-line.html

IF YESTERDAY'S practice was any indication - and the players involved assumed it was - the Eagles' starting offensive line Sunday at San Francisco will feature Jason Peters at left tackle, Matt Tobin at left guard, Dave Molk at center, Dennis Kelly at right guard and Todd Herremans at right tackle.

Tobin is the newcomer, having just recovered from a high ankle sprain he suffered in the preseason finale. This would be his first NFL start; he was active for just one game in 2013 after making the team as an undrafted rookie from Iowa. Moving Herremans out to tackle, where he has played before, probably upgrades that position after Andrew Gardner's struggles against Washington, and it allows the three guys who were the interior of a smooth-functioning second-team o-line in the preseason to work together, in their exact preseason spots. Kelly has started at left guard the last two games, since Evan Mathis went down with an MCL sprain.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140924_Eagles_Notebook__Eagles_set_revamped_O-line.html#tVGhlpKZixeR8J7i.99

This is either schtick or you don't watch the Eagles. Shotgun is all they run.

It doesn't say they use shotgun 90% of the time. It says they use shotgun on 90% of his dropbacks. Which means virtually whenever he is under center they are running the ball. That's ridiculously easy to game plan against. No wonder he's having trouble running the ball. Either Foles is under center and it's telegraphed or McCoy has to start with the ball 5 yards deep every time. That might work when you have an all-pro offensive line but not with the patchwork they have going on at the moment.

They probably run it so much because it's a lot easier for a rookie QB than being under center. If the Eagles want to sell the running game they are going to have to take the kiddie gloves off at some point and run a pro offense. Having 90% of the pass plays from shotgun is not conducive to long-term success in the NFL. Even Manning, the least mobile and best mind in the game (whom can get away with running shotgun at a higher rate), only has 80% of his passes from the shotgun.

CBS:

LeSean McCoy doesn't think he's struggling

by Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
(3 hrs ago) Although he's averaging 2.9 yards per carry, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy disputes the notion that he's struggling.

"I don't think I'm struggling at all," McCoy told CSNPhilly.com. "I don't know what you mean by that. I don't think I'm struggling, at all. So I don't know what you mean by that."

McCoy is running behind a makeshift offensive line. After gaining 22 yards on 19 carries against the Redskins, McCoy did not make excuses.

"We didn't get it done today on the ground," McCoy said. "Simple as that."

It doesn't say they use shotgun 90% of the time. It says they use shotgun on 90% of his dropbacks. Which means virtually whenever he is under center they are running the ball. That's ridiculously easy to game plan against. No wonder he's having trouble running the ball. Either Foles is under center and it's telegraphed or McCoy has to start with the ball 5 yards deep every time. That might work when you have an all-pro offensive line but not with the patchwork they have going on at the moment.

They probably run it so much because it's a lot easier for a rookie QB than being under center. If the Eagles want to sell the running game they are going to have to take the kiddie gloves off at some point and run a pro offense. Having 90% of the pass plays from shotgun is not conducive to long-term success in the NFL. Even Manning, the least mobile and best mind in the game (whom can get away with running shotgun at a higher rate), only has 80% of his passes from the shotgun.
Eagles line up in shot gun for running and passing plays for the majority of their plays. Most runs are out of the shot gun. They run and pass out of all formations. In fact, Foles runs/passes based on the defense.

i am not sure i fully understand your response, it sounds like the calls from last year saying there is no way the Chip Kelly offense will work in the NFL. Here is another source (Eagles website) saying they ran shotgun on 86% of their plays last year. Also, Foles is a 3rd year QB?

My whole point is they lead the league in rushing and yards per attempt last year as a team, running almost exclusively shotgun. Maybe losing 5 offensive linemen is a bigger factor?

And why would Kelly want to change what they're doing? They're 3-0 with one of the best offenses in the league - and they're the most fun to watch. It ain't broke.

And why would Kelly want to change what they're doing? They're 3-0 with one of the best offenses in the league - and they're the most fun to watch. It ain't broke.
Let's be real here ... they've played JAX, IND, and WAS. Those are two bottom feeders and one 2-14 roster than has an elite QB carrying them to 10 wins.

You can get away with running shotgun that much when you have an utterly dominate offensive line that blocks out the sun regardless of run or pass. But I think running shotgun 86% of the time with a crappy offensive line is going to be exploitable against any top 10 defense.

Let's be real here ... they've played JAX, IND, and WAS. Those are two bottom feeders and one 2-14 roster than has an elite QB carrying them to 10 wins.

You can get away with running shotgun that much when you have an utterly dominate offensive line that blocks out the sun regardless of run or pass. But I think running shotgun 86% of the time with a crappy offensive line is going to be exploitable against any top 10 defense.
:shrug: worked last year. When it stops working I'll trust Kelly to make a change.

I'm sure it's a mistake, but McCoy has an O designation next to his name on yahoos site.

Likely nothing to see here, but it would require me to go grab a free agent pretty quickly if there is any news on McCoy that we don't know about.
Nothing to see here right? Still listed as "out" on yahoo rosters.

Doesn't seem like he's running as hard as he was last year to me. If I owned him I'd be looking to sell. You can still get a big time haul for him right now. Maybe wait till he has a good game and let your league know he's available.

I'm sure there's more up to date info, but this is the best I could find right now. Note this is from yesterday. Hopefully we'll get some news from today's practice.

The good news for the Eagles was that running back LeSean McCoy was out on the field despite taking a helmet-to-helmet hit in the team's win over the Redskins.

McCoy was tested for a concussion during the game and passed, but there was some thought that he might be given a day off to rest.

I'm sure there's more up to date info, but this is the best I could find right now. Note this is from yesterday. Hopefully we'll get some news from today's practice.The good news for the Eagles was that running back LeSean McCoy was out on the field despite taking a helmet-to-helmet hit in the team's win over the Redskins.

McCoy was tested for a concussion during the game and passed, but there was some thought that he might be given a day off to rest.
Eagles first injury report for week 4 has no mention of McCoy:

Philadelphia Eagles Injury Report (Wednesday)

OUT

C Jason Kelce (hernia)

Did Not Practice

ILB Mychal Kendricks (calf)

Limited Participation

DE Fletcher Cox (back)

Full Participation

DE Brandon Bair (foot)

CB Brandon Boykin (hip)

TE James Casey (knee)

WR Josh Huff (shoulder)

WR Jordan Matthews (oblique)

WR Brad Smith (groin)

OG Matt Tobin (ankle)

CB Jaylen Watkins (hamstring)

S Earl Wolff (knee)

With the mess that is ADP, Charles' injury, Lacy and Forte's seemingly as bad starts, I'm not ready to panic. A few more bad weeks and I probably will, but right now I'm hoping he gets it going. A bad injury or off the field issues would be worse at this point.

I'm holding, hoping Shady can cobble together a top 12'ish season. I have zero hopes for top 3 as I did preseason. Got a couple lowball trade offers, so it's not worth it to me to move him at this point.

Was looking up some infor regarding the Philly O-line and ran into this article. Looks like Chip is switching a few things up. This and the return of Lane Johnson next week should make things better, I hope :confused: :

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140924_Eagles_Notebook__Eagles_set_revamped_O-line.html

IF YESTERDAY'S practice was any indication - and the players involved assumed it was - the Eagles' starting offensive line Sunday at San Francisco will feature Jason Peters at left tackle, Matt Tobin at left guard, Dave Molk at center, Dennis Kelly at right guard and Todd Herremans at right tackle.

Tobin is the newcomer, having just recovered from a high ankle sprain he suffered in the preseason finale. This would be his first NFL start; he was active for just one game in 2013 after making the team as an undrafted rookie from Iowa. Moving Herremans out to tackle, where he has played before, probably upgrades that position after Andrew Gardner's struggles against Washington, and it allows the three guys who were the interior of a smooth-functioning second-team o-line in the preseason to work together, in their exact preseason spots. Kelly has started at left guard the last two games, since Evan Mathis went down with an MCL sprain.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140924_Eagles_Notebook__Eagles_set_revamped_O-line.html#tVGhlpKZixeR8J7i.99
It's all about Shady following Lane Johnson. We'll have to wait another week to get a view. The rest of the line is worrisome though. LeSean will get his, but I can't see him being uber elite like last year. It will get better.

Wow, I cant believe how many are ready to write off Shady. No way I take Bell or Murray over him. I like Bell, but he is nowhere near the talent Shady is. While Murray is very talented, he tends to get dinged up with a big workload.

Wow, I cant believe how many are ready to write off Shady. No way I take Bell or Murray over him. I like Bell, but he is nowhere near the talent Shady is. While Murray is very talented, he tends to get dinged up with a big workload.
I'll take a guy with 90% of McCoy's talent/athleticism and running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league over McCoy and the crap oline they are trotting out there right now. Some of the best fantasy RBs ever were a result of solid schemes with road-grading all-pro offensive lineman. You could clock Emmitt Smith's 40-time on a sundial but he's the league's all-time rusher because he A) stayed healthy and B) played with one of the best all time offensive lines for nearly a decade.

I guess not having 3 of the 5 starters on his line isn't an issue.

Think people. Think. He didn't suddenly become a bad back.

Phenomena said:
Manster said:
I'll take a guy with 90% of McCoy's talent/athleticism and running behind one of the best offensive lines in the league over McCoy and the crap oline they are trotting out there right now. Some of the best fantasy RBs ever were a result of solid schemes with road-grading all-pro offensive lineman. You could clock Emmitt Smith's 40-time on a sundial but he's the league's all-time rusher because he A) stayed healthy and B) played with one of the best all time offensive lines for nearly a decade.
I get your point, but we're 3 weeks into the season. McCoy is much more talented than either Bell or Murray. I'd still rather have him over those two. We'll see how it works out.

You're over-simplifying Emmitt. The common belief is that he had this crazy line and he just ran through huge holes and didn't get touched.....Not true at all. Watch the film. He broke tons of tackles, had great vision, quickness. He ran with a smoothness that was deceptive. I think he made that line better. He took a BEATING, and it showed later in his career. But, if you watch the tape from his first several years you'd see how talented he really was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amused to Death said:
Phenomena said:
Good point. The way we are all crying around here you would think the Eagles are 0-3 and losing by 14 every week.

The real life NFL coaches probably aren't as concerned about this as we are...unfortunately.

The Eagles might be 3-0, but Kelly doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who lets record prevent him from making changes when something isn't working. The running game clearly wasn't working vs. Washington, and I'm sure he's very concerned about that.

Users who are viewing this thread