What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fitbit? (1 Viewer)

The Garmin VivoActive is the newest one to claim to do all of the above. Reviews are kind of spotty with it, though.
I've been wearing this for about a month and its been great, haven't done any swimming though.

Common issues I saw that led to low reviews were:

The watch resetting (which is fixed as soon as you update to the firmwear)

A dim display when in a dark room (which is bright enough for me and conserves battery, and you can brighten for a few secs by pushing the button)

Step tracking is very accurate and the heart rate monitor strap is more accurate than built in HR sensors during a workout.

Also the notifications from my iphone work well and are handy and watch data autosyncs with iphone app.

ETA: tracks calories burned too
Wife bought me this for my birthday. It doesn't do quite everything I wanted but I really like it so far. She got it discounted and had a gift card so was like 50-60 bucks I think so I figured it would be ok to start with and if I want to ramp up to something more serious I would wait for you others to provide information on some of the newer devices. The big things I wanted was to replace the steps I was getting with my FitBit but add HR. Obviously GPS is something I'd love to have but for the price I'm happy enough - basically just replaced the old FitBit I had.
let me know how you like it for swim tracking, if you get any use in for that. I know I still owe a report on the 910xt for swimming but I've been slacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I returned the charge HR as i just can't wear it on my wrist as it was irritating nerve issues. I think i'm going to get the One.
It did the same thing to my girlfriend's wrist. She's returning it also
I did, too.

In addition to a rash on my wrist, I found it inaccurate. I was moving from the Charge HR from a model worn on my hip. I wore both for three days, just out of curiosity. The Charge had 2500-3000 extra steps each day. It makes sense, because your wrist produces more motion during the day than your hip. It was just a matter of personal preference. The other instance was a one hour drive that somehow managed to record 3000 steps.

I'm back to the cheap one on my hip for now.

let me know how you like it for swim tracking, if you get any use in for that. I know I still owe a report on the 910xt for swimming but I've been slacking.
I actual wore it swimming last night. Comfort was great - didn't notice it at all. It definitely was tracking my "steps"/distance as I made sure it was but not sure how to read it yet on the site. Will give more details as I figure it out. I did not wear the HR strap and not sure I will for a while - I'm not exerting as much effort swimming so other than accurate calorie burning I'm not as interested in the HR data for swimming.

been using mine for about 2 weeks and averaging about 13,000 steps per day. I have a hard time getting much above 10,000 steps on a weekday but do 20,000 on a weekend day or a day I'm not working..

I got the charge but probably should have gone to the the HR one for when I ever get back to running again.

we should do a FBG walking daily challenge.. anybody in?
I got the Charge HR on Monday. I had Jawbone stuff for the past year and got tired of their junk breaking down. I like it so far.

I'd be in for a daily challenge.
I'm game.
In

I would be up for the daily challenge thing

I like my fitbit and think it got more accurate when I switched it to my dominant hand. Not the actual fitbit but the setting in the app

The Garmin VivoActive is the newest one to claim to do all of the above. Reviews are kind of spotty with it, though.
I've been wearing this for about a month and its been great, haven't done any swimming though.

Common issues I saw that led to low reviews were:

The watch resetting (which is fixed as soon as you update to the firmwear)

A dim display when in a dark room (which is bright enough for me and conserves battery, and you can brighten for a few secs by pushing the button)

Step tracking is very accurate and the heart rate monitor strap is more accurate than built in HR sensors during a workout.

Also the notifications from my iphone work well and are handy and watch data autosyncs with iphone app.

ETA: tracks calories burned too
Wife bought me this for my birthday. It doesn't do quite everything I wanted but I really like it so far. She got it discounted and had a gift card so was like 50-60 bucks I think so I figured it would be ok to start with and if I want to ramp up to something more serious I would wait for you others to provide information on some of the newer devices. The big things I wanted was to replace the steps I was getting with my FitBit but add HR. Obviously GPS is something I'd love to have but for the price I'm happy enough - basically just replaced the old FitBit I had.
I think we're talking about different watches. The Vivoactive has GPS...

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01297-00-Vivoactive-Black/dp/B00RE1UL52/ref=sr_1_1/184-7576053-3626607?ie=UTF8&qid=1432315165

I actual wore it swimming last night. Comfort was great - didn't notice it at all. It definitely was tracking my "steps"/distance as I made sure it was but not sure how to read it yet on the site. Will give more details as I figure it out. I did not wear the HR strap and not sure I will for a while - I'm not exerting as much effort swimming so other than accurate calorie burning I'm not as interested in the HR data for swimming.
I finally wore my 910xt for the first time yesterday for a 500m freestyle. I also didn't wear the chest strap in the pool for heartrate -- that will be next.

comfort, lap tracking, and timing was all flawless. I'll report back as I become more familiar with the bells and whistles what this can do.

PM me your email address you have on your fitbit account if you want in on a FBG weekly step thing.

I'll get one rolling.
pm sent. Curious to see how I stack up vs other office folks. Right now, my wife is killing me because I spend my day pushing around a mouse while she spends her day doing real estate and chasing after the kids.

In.

Thanks Ahrn.

Let's keep each other moving IMO.

I do a pool with friends from home where we go for a month and any day that you don't walk 10k steps, you put 5 dollars in the pool. At the end, the person with the most steps wins the pool (2nd place gets something too if we're big enough a group).

The great thing is, you don't pay a dollar if you just get your 10k steps in every single day. The bad thing is, you pay for it when you decide to be lazy.

Happy to have a similar contest with you guys (but I'm a gambler) if there's interest.

I like the idea but I have been swimming as well and leave my fitbit home on swim days. yesterday I only logged a pathetic # of steps but I had 30 minutes of pushing myself swimming and another hour of light swimming. Stuff like that would have to be on the honor system and hard to enforce.

I'm also fine if this is all just for fun.

I like the idea but I have been swimming as well and leave my fitbit home on swim days. yesterday I only logged a pathetic # of steps but I had 30 minutes of pushing myself swimming and another hour of light swimming. Stuff like that would have to be on the honor system and hard to enforce.

I'm also fine if this is all just for fun.
Yeah, main form of exercise is jiu-jitsu and kick boxing, I don't wear my fitbit for those also...would hate to be penalized for not getting my steps in on those days while, in reality I'm working my ### off for 2-3 hours w/o getting credit for any steps.

at the risk of derailing -- hows the BJJ going?
Honestly, I haven't been getting in ad often as I like. I'm lucky to get in 2x a week these days. No real reason why not, other than I get really tired after work and start to get lazy. Every time I start getting back into a good rhythm, something comes up...my moms funeral, spring break, step-son graduating from HS, work trip to Germany, etc.Physically, I'm in good shape and when I'm in, I do very well. If I can get in consistently for a good month or so, I'd like to get into competing again.

Dumped $600 on the Fenix 3 wore it for 2 days and returned it.

Thing is a damn behemoth on your wrist.

Not that this is the Fenix thread, but in case you cared.

I'm waiting for the subdermal implant that will track not only steps but all vital signs.
I was just thinking that the next evolution has got to be something to track blood sugar. Pretty sure they already have use for diabetics that have insulin pumps... it would be pretty cool to see how your blood sugar actually responds to various foods.

I bought the One somewhat reluctantly as I don't know how much of a pain it's going to be to clip off and on all the time. I haven't used it yet and it might just go to my wife who definitely doesn't want a watch version. I might try a Garmin Vivosmart or Vivofit 2 and wear on my dominant wrist. Any feedback on the physical comfort of those?

Fiddles, how on earth are you managing to average 20K steps a day?
about 5k steps after kids get on bus at 705am with the wife walking neighborhoods and catching up

this goes away late july when my office moves and I have to drive to work instead to avoid insane atlanta traffic

i walk around the parking lot at work once or twice before lunch.

I take a long lunch and head to the gym for about 90 minutes which includes 3 to 4 miles on the treadmill

sometimes I get in a walk or two around the parking lot after lunch and before I head home

I have been teaching my youngest how to ride a bike lately and run alongside him

basically I have been at my job for 15 years and know how much rope I have with the long lunch and breaks

I do work alot of nights being a sys admin and our maintenance window is after 10pm so it all works out in my eyes

So, I go yo plug mine in and can't find the stupid charger. Need to go to the internet to see if I can buy a new one

I've been wearing my charge in the shower and in the pool with the kids and so far I've had no issues.

just read this

All Fitbit trackers are water-resistant, which means they are rain-proof and splash-proof and can stand up to even the sweatiest workout.

Do not swim with your tracker. We also don't recommend showering with your tracker; though the water won't hurt the device, wearing it 24/7 does not give your skin a chance to breathe. Whenever you get your tracker wet, dry it thoroughly before putting it back on.

Fitbit Surge is water resistant to 5 ATM, or 50 meters, and Fitbit Charge HR is water resistant to 1 ATM, or 10 meters. This means the trackers can be submerged and will still work when removed from the water. However, this does not mean the trackers can withstand the force associated with swimming strokes, so as mentioned previously we don't recommend swimming with the trackers.

took my fitbit off yesterday while painting and forgot to put it back on...only logged 3500 steps, despite being pretty damn active all day. :wall:

I bought my girlfriend a Charge HR for Valentine's Day. Last week it stopped taking a charge about the same time it started burning her wrist. I bought it from AT&T and there is a 1 year warranty, but only for exchange. Because of it burning her she doesn't want it. So, I now have a brand new Charge HR I'm stuck with.

I bought my girlfriend a Charge HR for Valentine's Day. Last week it stopped taking a charge about the same time it started burning her wrist. I bought it from AT&T and there is a 1 year warranty, but only for exchange. Because of it burning her she doesn't want it. So, I now have a brand new Charge HR I'm stuck with.
PM the guy with the Randy Johnson avatar and join the FBG walking revolution

you mean Shuke, right?

moleculo said:
Righetti said:
Emerson Biggens said:
you mean Shuke, right?
Oh yeah, him too

on vaca this week, broheims, I'll get everyone added by the weekend. also deleting some msgs now

I purchased the Fitbit Surge last night and used it today. It works fine and all, but I'm going to return it. The heart rate monitor is the best part. The GPS is also cool and the website recap of your run allows you see how fast you were going throughout, which is nice. But I run on a track and like to have the exact split times for each quarter mile. The watch allows you to do splits, but when you synch the splits you calculated don't get transposed - just the less accurate GPS data. Big downer if you are a competitive runner.

The watch is way too bulky too. And too dark. Impossible to see the thing. I do think these watches are the wave of the future, but I'll wait another couple years until they perfect it before buying again.

Users who are viewing this thread