What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (2 Viewers)

While we're here, shame on all of you for ####ting on guys like eminence. We want more interesting people posting here. Even if you don't like em, let him do his thing and it might encourage someone else to post inane stories.
racism is "interesting" to you? or is the rampant homophobia perhaps?
So judgmental. He is a 20 year old kid. I doubt if you would want to be condemned for ever stupid thought you had as a 20 year old. Em had a lot of spunk.
If people hadn't informed me that my opinions were stupid when I was 20, I'd still have stupid opinions.Edit: Those stupid opinions.
lol

The theme of my daughter's high school Christmas pageant this year was that 100 years ago, on Christmas Eve in France, the Germans, French and English stopped fighting, got out of their trenches, sang Silent Night together and then shook hands, exchanged photos, even started a soccer game. It was supposed to be a great moment for peace.

What they neglected to mention was that there would be another 4 years of incredibly stupid, pointless and extremely bloody fighting, and eventually the U.S. would get involved, before the war ended in a stalemate which guaranteed another bloody conflict 20 years later. IMO, this makes that night of peace seem pretty pointless. But a century later it's still idealized.

While we're here, shame on all of you for ####ting on guys like eminence. We want more interesting people posting here. Even if you don't like em, let him do his thing and it might encourage someone else to post inane stories.
racism is "interesting" to you? or is the rampant homophobia perhaps?
So judgmental. He is a 20 year old kid. I doubt if you would want to be condemned for ever stupid thought you had as a 20 year old. Em had a lot of spunk.
If people hadn't informed me that my opinions were stupid when I was 20, I'd still have stupid opinions.Edit: Those stupid opinions.
lol
Em was slowly maturing. The whole basis of the thread he got banned on was turning over a new leaf.

The theme of my daughter's high school Christmas pageant this year was that 100 years ago, on Christmas Eve in France, the Germans, French and English stopped fighting, got out of their trenches, sang Silent Night together and then shook hands, exchanged photos, even started a soccer game. It was supposed to be a great moment for peace.

What they neglected to mention was that there would be another 4 years of incredibly stupid, pointless and extremely bloody fighting, and eventually the U.S. would get involved, before the war ended in a stalemate which guaranteed another bloody conflict 20 years later. IMO, this makes that night of peace seem pretty pointless. But a century later it's still idealized.
:lol:

It's high school music teachers that put this together? I'm one of the musically inclined people, most of us aren't very wise on what actually inspired the music.

Pretty sure we did a Wagner piece during a Hannukah concert a few years back.

So is it safe to say that Dr King's I have a dream speech was pretty pointless as well?

They should talk about the Holiday spirit when George Washington snuck across the river and brutally slaughtered the Hessians on Christmas.

Did you tell your daughter this? She probably went from being so proud of the heartwarming story, and then to questioning her whole reality. You probably traumatized her for life.

So is it safe to say that Dr King's I have a dream speech was pretty pointless as well?
do you think that's a reasonable analogy? I don't. Imagine if the leader of ISIS, after beheading somebody, gave a speech about how much he longed for peace and an end to the struggle. And the next day he was off beheading somebody else. That would be a better comparison.

Did you tell your daughter this? She probably went from being so proud of the heartwarming story, and then to questioning her whole reality. You probably traumatized her for life.
She's in high school. Im sure she'll get through it.

do you think that's a reasonable analogy? I don't.Imagine if the leader of ISIS, after beheading somebody, gave a speech about how much he longed for peace and an end to the struggle. And the next day he was off beheading somebody else. That would be a better comparison.
The grunts in the trenches that night didn't have a thing to do with starting WWI, prolonging WWI, or negotiating a peace that would lead to WWII. It was moment of grace between human beings who were put in the most dehumanizing conditions imaginable through no choice of their own.

So, what exactly is your point?

Tim>

Your favorite 5 Christmas/Holiday songs?

go.....
Off the top of my head? HmmLittle Drummer Boy

Father Christmas (The Kinks)

River (Joni Mitchell)

Christmas (the Who, "Tommy")

Sleigh Ride

Probably forgetting something...
Jesus!

Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins?

Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses?

Little Saint Nick by Beach Boys?

The Chipmunk Song?

Any of the Paul or John Lennon songs?

SAm Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg?

I'm half jewish but still know these well.....get familiar ;)

My point is that it led to nothing. A few hours of truce. It's an interesting story but I think it's ironic that we're celebrating it 100 years later. That's all.

Tim>

go.....

River (Joni Mitchell)

Sleigh Ride

Jesus!Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins?

The Chipmunk Song?

you managed to name some of my least favorite- as for former Beatles, I like Lennon's Happy Xmas, but that Paul song is dreadful.

My point is that it led to nothing. A few hours of truce. It's an interesting story but I think it's ironic that we're celebrating it 100 years later. That's all.
You don't think those soldiers appreciated and enjoyed those amazing few hours they had to escape the hell they were in?

I think just after the pageant would be the best time to educate the parents about this. Stand up and shout.

There's a chance this thread surpasses GMTAN in post count by 2017.

Either way, this has been a long time coming. I hope it prospers and everyone gets what they want out of it, especially Tim.

Tim>

go.....

River (Joni Mitchell)

Sleigh Ride

The Chipmunk Song?

you managed to name some of my least favorite- as for former Beatles, I like Lennon's Happy Xmas, but that Paul song is dreadful.
How about some of the Phil Spector (Darelene Love, and the Crystals stuff)?

You don't think those soldiers appreciated and enjoyed those amazing few hours they had to escape the hell they were in?
Even if we were alive back then we'd never know because within a short time most of them were dead. Do you think the passengers on the Titanic enjoyed the band's selection of music as the ship started to sink?

Even if we were alive back then we'd never know because within a short time most of them were dead. Do you think the passengers on the Titanic enjoyed the band's selection of music as the ship started to sink?
:rolleyes:

There's a chance this thread surpasses GMTAN in post count by 2017.

Either way, this has been a long time coming. I hope it prospers and everyone gets what they want out of it, especially Tim.
I need to break my cherry in the other thread but have held off,might be a good thing though.

It was men that got out of the trenches to play and sing and engage in fellowship. It was governments that continued to use people like fungible chattel.

Tim>

go.....

River (Joni Mitchell)

Sleigh Ride

The Chipmunk Song?

How about some of the Phil Spector (Darelene Love, and the Crystals stuff)?
its OK. I like the Ronnettes Frosty.

Top 5 Christmas movies of all time, in no particular order:

1. Lethal Weapon

2. Die Hard

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas

4. A Christmas Story

5. It's a Wonderful Life

Users who are viewing this thread