What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, NE (6 Viewers)

Well, if Jerry doesn't want one to pay his employee, should be an easy decision to have a different employee take over in the same role.  I'm sure as a business man, he understands all the implications of that decision. 

As an employee, Zeke also has a business decision to make, he is the business owner of his talents and can make decisions whether to work for the same company, work for a different company, or not work at all.  
I would trade him. The picks you would gain would be better spent on guys who weren't so dumb and immature. 

ETA - I dont't think Zeke is dumb for wanting more money or even the way he is going about it is at least a discussion. The other stuff is just dumb. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't agree at this point.  He is not signed with no news that anything is imminent or will get done.  He could sit out the entire year.  1st round draft pick needs to be a given, 
Sitting out an entire year does less than nothing for Zeke.

That makes no sense at all.

Sitting out an entire year does less than nothing for Zeke.

That makes no sense at all.
Agree that it makes no sense at all. But then again, Zeke has already proven (multiple times) that he is a knucklehead of the highest order, so you never know. LOL.

Zero percent chance.  Quote this for posterity.  
OK - I believe he already has lost game 1 even if he signs today and every day unsigned means more games lost/playing lost yet you want to draft 1.09.  Makes no sense unless you draft Pollard.. 

So where you draft him if missing 8 games?
I think he will miss 3 games max, if he misses any. I drafted him with the 4th pick which is probably high but I still think they will come to an agreement before the season. I did take Pollard just in case.

I think he misses 2 games.  Comes back with the Cowboys 2-0, to play his first game at home and get in a rhythm against Miami.

If he's missing 3 games I take him at 9.  If he's missing 8 I start to seriously consider him in the 5th round.
If looking for a general rule, I'd drop him half a round for every game he misses.

0 games- round 1
2 games- round 2
4 games- round 3
6 games- round 4
8 games- round 5

Obviously impossible to predict how many he will miss, but this is generally where I'd see his value based on missed games.

Zero percent chance.  Quote this for posterity.  
Sorry if I'm not up on all the contract technicalities...but is Zeke's situation fundamentally different than Bell's that would put the chance at zero? Or is this just your hopeful opinion because you want to draft him late? Otherwise we've got last year as a very recent precedent.

PhantomJB said:
Sorry if I'm not up on all the contract technicalities...but is Zeke's situation fundamentally different than Bell's that would put the chance at zero? Or is this just your hopeful opinion because you want to draft him late? Otherwise we've got last year as a very recent precedent.
Short version:

Bell was entering the last year of his deal tagged with the franchise tag that he didn’t sign

Zeke is under contract for 2 years

Zeke has to play in 6 games this year for it to count. 

If he does not make himself available to play 6 games the entire thing just resets next year and he would be in the exact same spot he’s in now except several million dollars poorer.

PhantomJB said:
Yes. Zeke is under contract. Bell wasn't.

Getting the impression that Zeke will get an adjustment on his contract for this year, without an extension of time, and report sooner rather than later.  

I am particularly liking the banter between him and Jerry Jones right now.  Both are playing negotiations in the media at this point.  Fun.

Getting the impression that Zeke will get an adjustment on his contract for this year, without an extension of time, and report sooner rather than later.  

I am particularly liking the banter between him and Jerry Jones right now.  Both are playing negotiations in the media at this point.  Fun.
Jerry would have paid him by now. Stephen Jones is the guy Zeke needs to worry about. 

So in redraft for those targeting Zeke where are you taking Pollard? At some point soon it's going to take a lot of draft capital to acquire both.

So in redraft for those targeting Zeke where are you taking Pollard? At some point soon it's going to take a lot of draft capital to acquire both.
My three live drafts someone sniped him from the zeke owner each time.   Somewhere between rounds 7-10 he went in each.  I thought it was to high for the non zeke owners.  

Joe Thomas has it right.  Give Zeke 5% more than Gurley's contract with clauses to protect against Zeke flaking out.

DAL needs to end the horse and pony show.  Just get the deal done and stop playing games with Zeke.

My three live drafts someone sniped him from the zeke owner each time.   Somewhere between rounds 7-10 he went in each.  I thought it was to high for the non zeke owners.  
I got him in the 14th round of a ten team draft last night. 

I took Pollard late in redraft in the hopes I can get flex start value for a week or two until Zeke is signed and up to speed. Compared to the other options in those rounds, I'll take it.

stlrams said:
OK - I believe he already has lost game 1 even if he signs today and every day unsigned means more games lost/playing lost yet you want to draft 1.09.  Makes no sense unless you draft Pollard.. 
What? He could report on Saturday and he would still play Sunday. 

Short version:

Bell was entering the last year of his deal tagged with the franchise tag that he didn’t sign

Zeke is under contract for 2 years

Zeke has to play in 6 games this year for it to count. 

If he does not make himself available to play 6 games the entire thing just resets next year and he would be in the exact same spot he’s in now except several million dollars poorer.
:goodposting: Which is why the front office holds the best hand. They are playing this smart. Zeke stands to loose $240,000 per game.  They start out with a weak schedule so he isn't likely to hurt them much by missing a couple games like Emmett did. He's playing week 1.  

He doesn't need to accrue the year of service, he just needs to not have the contract toll.
Clipped from NFL.com.  

Accrued seasons: Used to determine a player's free agency status (unrestricted, restricted, exclusive rights). In order to accrue a season, a player must have been on (or should have been on) full-play status for at least six regular-season games in a given season. A player under contract must report to his team at least 30 days prior to the start of the regular season to accrue a season.

Credited seasons: Used as a measure for many benefits, it's most notably used to determine a player's minimum salary. To earn a credited season, a player must be on full-pay status for a total of three or more regular season games.

It's correct, but Zeke doesn't need to accrue the season.  He's under contract already for 2020, and he has three accrued seasons already.  So after 2020 he'll have 4 and be a UDFA in 2021.  Having 2019 give him an accrued year means very little to him.

It's correct, but Zeke doesn't need to accrue the season.  He's under contract already for 2020, and he has three accrued seasons already.  So after 2020 he'll have 4 and be a UDFA in 2021.  Having 2019 give him an accrued year means very little to him.
Read the first sentence. Accrued years are used to determine free agent status.  If he doesn't accrue he doesnt get to free agency.  

Incorrect.  Free agent status is determined by expiration of a contract.  Free Agent classification is determined by accrued seasons.  A Free Agent with 2 or fewer accrued seasons is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, 3 accrued seasons is Restrictred Free Agent, and 4 or more is Unrestricted Free Agent.

Elliott is under contract through 2020 by virtue of the option Dallas exercised in May.  He's not a Free Agent until 2021.

Incorrect.  Free agent status is determined by expiration of a contract.  Free Agent classification is determined by accrued seasons.  A Free Agent with 2 or fewer accrued seasons is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, 3 accrued seasons is Restrictred Free Agent, and 4 or more is Unrestricted Free Agent.

Elliott is under contract through 2020 by virtue of the option Dallas exercised in May.  He's not a Free Agent until 2021.
Plus you're ignoring the 5th year option the cowboys have. And franchise tag after that.  He's dead in the water right now. 

Plus you're ignoring the 5th year option the cowboys have. And franchise tag after that.  He's dead in the water right now. 
I'm not ignoring anything.  The "5th year" option is the 2020 year.  The Franchise Tag only happens once he's a --- wait for it --- Free Agent.  Which is the only claim I made, that he doesn't need the accrued season.

Whats up with this line? 
This is a weird one.  It's in Section 8 of the CBA regarding players with fewer than three accrued season - which Zeke is not.  So I'm not entirely sure it applies to him.  If it does, the rest of the discussion is moot because he's not getting credit for an accrused season in 2019 anyway (but like I said, that's mostly irrelevant to him).  Even if it doesn't, he just needs to not have the contract toll.  THAT would screw him.

I'm not ignoring anything.  The "5th year" option is the 2020 year.  The Franchise Tag only happens once he's a --- wait for it --- Free Agent.  Which is the only claim I made, that he doesn't need the accrued season.

This is a weird one.  It's in Section 8 of the CBA regarding players with fewer than three accrued season - which Zeke is not.  So I'm not entirely sure it applies to him.  If it does, the rest of the discussion is moot because he's not getting credit for an accrused season in 2019 anyway (but like I said, that's mostly irrelevant to him).  Even if it doesn't, he just needs to not have the contract toll.  THAT would screw him.
What's the definition of full play?  Why would the cowboys activate him for a single game?

What's the definition of full play?  Why would the cowboys activate him for a single game?
Full pay is anything the team is required to fully pay him for.   NFI and PUP aren't full pay, even if a team chooses to they aren't required to, and games suspended don't count either since he's not paid.  Obviously games he doesn't report for he's not paid for as well.  Pretty much everything else is.  IR, inactive, active DNP, they are all still full pay status.

I'm not ignoring anything.  T
Apologies, you're assuming he gets an accrued season in 2020. To get to unrestricted. That's not logical if he holds out entirely and is in the exact same situation next year, only as Steaddy put it, 3.85 million dollars poorer. 

As Jerry would put it: we're circumcising the mosquito here. 

Apologies, you're assuming he gets an accrued season in 2020. To get to unrestricted. That's not logical if he holds out entirely and is in the exact same situation next year, only as Steaddy put it, 3.85 million dollars poorer. 

As Jerry would out it: we're circumcising the mosquito here. 
That's why I said he has to report for at least 1 game, so that it doesn't toll.  I'm not sure why you're grinding on my posts so hard but I wish you wouldn't misrepresent my position.

Users who are viewing this thread