What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (2 Viewers)

maybe it's just me, but parker plays a lot taller than white. white measures taller, but when i watch them parker appears like he's the taller of the two and it really shows when going up and grabbing passes, or reaching out to catch an off thrown ball. parker has an amazing catch radius. not sure how his arm length compares to white's, but they seem much longer too.

where i see white exceeding parker is after the catch. white is like a nimble power back after the catch where as parker seems to go down much easier. like how i view parker being the dominate wr at the point of the catch, white is the clear dominate wr after it. i don't think this one is close either.

FWIW Parker has been impressive in mini camp. Arguably the best player there this week (as you would expect from a first rounder)

I'm kind of liking him over white.
Even with the situation difference?
Which situation is even better?
well, I mean cutler for as much as a scrub he is, has fed 2 big boy WRs VERY well over the past couple years now in fantasy.
No trestman, tanny improving.

Both of these situations could also easily be different in 2016. Will cutler still be there?

I dont really view either situation as super stable, so not sure I would rank them based on situation. no-mmm-sayin?

well, I mean cutler for as much as a scrub he is, has fed 2 big boy WRs VERY well over the past couple years now in fantasy.
I don't think Cutler's a scrub at all. He was 10th in the NFL in TD passes last year. He was 18th the year before despite missing 5 games. :shrug: I like Cutler. I like Tannehill more though. He's still getting better. I truly think he's the next great QB in the NFL.

No trestman, tanny improving.

Both of these situations could also easily be different in 2016. Will cutler still be there?

I dont really view either situation as super stable, so not sure I would rank them based on situation. no-mmm-sayin?
Situations change in a split second in the NFL so if you're looking that short-term (to take advantage of "Situation") you should be looking at Agholor or Perriman.

Finding the Fits: Late round gamble on Ajayi could pay off big for 'Fins

Excerpt:

To be clear, though, there is some risk to this draft for Miami. While Ajayi's well-documented knee issue and draft-day slide has received plenty of talk, the Dolphins also rolled the dice with its first two picks in wideout DeVante Parker and defensive tackle Jordan Phillips. Some clubs were concerned about Phillips' conditioning and a back injury which required surgery in 2013. Parker missed seven games this past season recovering from a broken foot.

Parker is a legitimate No. 1 receiver candidate. He isn't going to wow anyone with his strength but there is some A.J. Green/Randy Moss-like qualities to his game in terms of his height, vertical speed and catch radius. Parker possesses that rare ability to "float" for another split second longer than most, allowing him to adjust and make contested catches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Louisville WR DeVante Parker made first team

Louisville receiver DeVante Parker missed seven games with a foot injury, but leaving him off the ESPN.com All-ACC team would have meant ignoring one of the top five players in the league this season.

There. I said it. In only five games, Parker showed why he will be a first-round pick in the NFL draft, perhaps even in the top 10. In a word, he was unstoppable, with 35 receptions for 735 yards and five touchdowns. Because he did not play in enough games, he does not qualify to be listed among the ACC stat leaders. But it is not easy to do some simple calculations to figure out how dominant he was in 2014. Parker led his own team in receptions and receiving yards, opening up the offense in a way that made the Cardinals much more dynamic. Florida State defenders can tell anybody that first-hand after he torched them for a season-high 214 yards.

Parker gained more than 100 yards receiving in four of five games, averaging 147 yards per game. That would rank him No. 1 in the league and No. 2 in the nation, ahead of Heisman finalist Amari Cooper (127.4 yards per game).

He averaged seven receptions per game. That would rank him No. 2 in the league and among the top 15 in the nation.

He averaged 21 yards per catch, second behind Miami's Phillip Dorsett.

Not only does Parker lead his own team in receiving yards, he would lead eight other ACC teams in receiving yards, too: Boston College, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Syracuse Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.

Quite impressive.

In the end, it does not seem fair to penalize Parker for breaking his foot in August. Not only did it cost him most of his senior season, it cost us the chance to watch such a dynamic playmaker every single week. There are so many what-if scenarios with a healthy Parker that we can only guess about what he, and Louisville, could have done.

But it is worth rewarding Parker for what we saw over a short period of time. He did not need 12 games to convince anybody he is one of the best receivers not just in the ACC, but in the entire country. Really, he only needed one.
DeVante Parker vs FSU (2014)
Parker fun facts:

"Parker gained more than 100 yards receiving in four of five games, averaging 147 yards per game. That would rank him No. 1 in the league and No. 2 in the nation, ahead of Heisman finalist Amari Cooper (127.4 yards per game).

He averaged seven receptions per game. That would rank him No. 2 in the league and among the top 15 in the nation.

He averaged 21 yards per catch, second behind Miami's Phillip Dorsett."

Rotoworld:

Sharon Katz and John Parolin of ESPN Stats & Information compare Louisville WR DeVante Parker's draft profile to Mike Evans.
The similarities are statistical. Evans led the NFL with 18 catches of 20-plus yards last season and led the NCAA in that stat the year before at Texas A&M. Parker, meanwhile, accrued 49 percent of his receiving yards last year on passes thrown 20-plus yards. By percentage, he was the nation's best deep threat last year, better than even Ohio State’s Devin Smith. "Although Parker is shorter than Evans, he tracks deep balls and can make tough over-the-shoulder catches like Evans," wrote Katz and Parolin.

Source: ESPN Insider
Apr 8 - 5:21 PM
Compares to Mike Evans in terms of percentage of overall receiving yards on 20+ yard receptions (nearly half).

Kid's upside is AJ Green. I think he gets pretty damn close. Here are the WRs taken in the Top 15 since 2010. Pretty solid company.

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Kid's upside is AJ Green. I think he gets pretty damn close. Here are the WRs taken in the Top 15 since 2010. Pretty solid company.

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio
A lot of those guys were taken in or around the top 5 though, which has a MUCH better hit rate than guys in or around the teens. Here are the WRs taken in the 10-19 range the last 20 years.

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

:X

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio
A lot of those guys were taken in or around the top 5 though, which has a MUCH better hit rate than guys in or around the teens. Here are the WRs taken in the 10-19 range the last 20 years.

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

Last 20 years? Lol. How about keep it relevant to say 5 to 7 years.

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

I would have thought that list would be a lot longer over 20 years. There are some busts on that list, for sure. Wr's are coming into the league more ready for the NFL and the last two wr classes are considered to be two of the best ever. Last year sure is looking that way. We'll see if this year holds up in time.

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

I would have thought that list would be a lot longer over 20 years. There are some busts on that list, for sure. Wr's are coming into the league more ready for the NFL and the last two wr classes are considered to be two of the best ever. Last year sure is looking that way. We'll see if this year holds up in time.
This is a fallacy.

Last years may be considered that, now, since those guys were so successful. However people seem to be under the assumption that 5 or 6 WRs getting drafted in the 1st round is some kind of anomaly. It is not. The only anomaly here is how successful last year's group were.

2001, 2005, 2007, and 2009 all had 6 WRs taken in the 1st round. 2004 had 7 taken in the first round.

Those classes were all looked at as if they were as good, if not better (most of them were stronger at the top at least, with guys like Megatron and Fitzgerald being much better prospects than Cooper) than the 2014 and 2015 classes.

Lots of WRs getting drafted isn't new. And outside of last year's class, WR hit rates lately aren't any better than the historical averages either, especially outside the top 5 or 6 picks of the NFL draft. People are badly letting last year's WR success (and historically, a couple of those guys will probably end up falling flat even after their fast starts) cloud their judgment of how "can't miss" rookie WRs are. OMG, Devante Parker was a top 15 pick in a WR class that was so good that it had 6 guys go in the 1st round! He's a can't miss superstar!

The reality is that he's not really any more highly regarded as a prospect than the Floyd's and Crabtree's that came before him.

I like Parker as a prospect, and I love him as a Dolphins fan that will now be rooting for him passionately day in and day out. But last year's early success has gotten people way, way, way over-confident with rookie WRs. Prior to last year none of the seasons that had 5-6 first round fantasy WRs ended up with more than one guy that was even pretty good long-term, much less a fantasy stud. That is the norm and it would be far more surprising if all of Cooper/White/Parker end up great than one or none of them.

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

This is a fallacy.

Last years may be considered that, now, since those guys were so successful. However people seem to be under the assumption that 5 or 6 WRs getting drafted in the 1st round is some kind of anomaly. It is not. The only anomaly here is how successful last year's group were.

2001, 2005, 2007, and 2009 all had 6 WRs taken in the 1st round. 2004 had 7 taken in the first round.

Those classes were all looked at as if they were as good, if not better (most of them were stronger at the top at least, with guys like Megatron and Fitzgerald being much better prospects than Cooper) than the 2014 and 2015 classes.

Lots of WRs getting drafted isn't new. And outside of last year's class, WR hit rates lately aren't any better than the historical averages either, especially outside the top 5 or 6 picks of the NFL draft. People are badly letting last year's WR success (and historically, a couple of those guys will probably end up falling flat even after their fast starts) cloud their judgment of how "can't miss" rookie WRs are. OMG, Devante Parker was a top 15 pick in a WR class that was so good that it had 6 guys go in the 1st round! He's a can't miss superstar!

The reality is that he's not really any more highly regarded as a prospect than the Floyd's and Crabtree's that came before him.

I like Parker as a prospect, and I love him as a Dolphins fan that will now be rooting for him passionately day in and day out. But last year's early success has gotten people way, way, way over-confident with rookie WRs. Prior to last year none of the seasons that had 5-6 first round fantasy WRs ended up with more than one guy that was even pretty good long-term, much less a fantasy stud. That is the norm and it would be far more surprising if all of Cooper/White/Parker end up great than one or none of them.
In 2009 Heyward -Bey was the 1st wr picked. 2007 had CJ but then Ginn picked way above what anyone expected and noone picked until Bowe at 23 and then a few scrubs after that. Not gonna go through every year and my point about wr being more pro ready today still stands. There will busts to be sure but i think the odds are better on this years class doing better than most of the years you listed.

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

This is a fallacy.

In 2009 Heyward -Bey was the 1st wr picked. 2007 had CJ but then Ginn picked way above what anyone expected and noone picked until Bowe at 23 and then a few scrubs after that. Not gonna go through every year and my point about wr being more pro ready today still stands. There will busts to be sure but i think the odds are better on this years class doing better than most of the years you listed.
I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Fewer college teams are running pro style offenses than ever before. You think Mike Evans was good because his coaches made him pro ready, drawing plays in the dirt and telling him to get open while Johnny Football ran around for 10 seconds?

What about the two years prior to last? 7 first round picks at WR and only 2 guys that are any good (Hopkins and Blackmon). Why weren't the rest of those guys pro ready if it's some new thing?

Because last year's class was extremely unique, yet people are treating it like it's the norm.

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

This is a fallacy.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from. Fewer college teams are running pro style offenses than ever before. You think Mike Evans was good because his coaches made him pro ready, drawing plays in the dirt and telling him to get open while Johnny Football ran around for 10 seconds?

What about the two years prior to last? 7 first round picks at WR and only 2 guys that are any good (Hopkins and Blackmon). Why weren't the rest of those guys pro ready if it's some new thing?

Because last year's class was extremely unique, yet people are treating it like it's the norm.
Being pro ready does not mean they had to run a pro style offense. It is also about the coaching they receive and skills they learn to play the position.

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

This is a fallacy.

Being pro ready does not mean they had to run a pro style offense. It is also about the coaching they receive and skills they learn to play the position.
If WRs are all so pro ready now, then why is Cooper considered such a standout for being pro ready?

I dunno, this just sounds like something you're making up because it sounds good logically to retroactively explain one really strong WR class. Outside of the burners that were drafted highly based just on their speed (DHB, Williamson, Ginn) I don't see anything in current 1st round WR prospects that's any different than 5+ years ago. I don't think White/Parker are any more pro-ready than guys like Crabtree and Floyd that were drafted in the same range. In fact, as prospects I would think most scouts would consider them less "pro ready", and not by an insignificant amount.

Dorsett? Perriman? Again, if anything these guys seem to be regarded as LESS pro ready than previous prospects drafted in the same range.

FreeBaGeL said:
fridayfrenzy said:
FreeBaGeL said:
Tool said:

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

This is a fallacy.

If WRs are all so pro ready now, then why is Cooper considered such a standout for being pro ready?

I dunno, this just sounds like something you're making up because it sounds good logically to retroactively explain one really strong WR class. Outside of the burners that were drafted highly based just on their speed (DHB, Williamson, Ginn) I don't see anything in current 1st round WR prospects that's any different than 5+ years ago. I don't think White/Parker are any more pro-ready than guys like Crabtree and Floyd that were drafted in the same range. In fact, as prospects I would think most scouts would consider them less "pro ready", and not by an insignificant amount.

Dorsett? Perriman? Again, if anything these guys seem to be regarded as LESS pro ready than previous prospects drafted in the same range.
You don't like Parker, we get it. Be prepared to eat your crow in 9 months.

FreeBaGeL said:
fridayfrenzy said:
FreeBaGeL said:
Tool said:

Watkins

Evans

ODB

Tavon

Blackmon

Floyd

Green

Julio

Odell Beckham

Michael Floyd

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Mike Williams

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Bryant Johnson

Ashlie Lelie

Rod Gardner

Santana Moss

Travis Taylor

Troy Edwards

Kevin Dyson

Yatil Green

Reidel Anthony

Eddie Kennison

Marvin Harrison

JJ Stokes

This is a fallacy.

You don't like Parker, we get it. Be prepared to eat your crow in 9 months.
I really like Parker. I have said this. I liked him as a prospect. I drafted him at 1.05. I am a huge Dolphins fan. I have said all of these things already.

None of that has anything to do with the point I'm trying to make, which apparently you're not even reading.

You are completely discounting one thing. Nfl rules allow young athletic players to come in right away and contribute because you can't hardly touch them now.

Damn. Too much buzz on him!!!

With Agholor and Perriman falling into nice situations I was hoping to get him at 1.6. I can kiss that hope good bye.

Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll pull a hammy like OBJ did last year.

One last rookie draft left in about a week... really starting to think about going Parker at 1.04 over Gordon.

With Agholor and Perriman falling into nice situations I was hoping to get him at 1.6. I can kiss that hope good bye.

I took him at 1.05 about a month ago. Wasn't taking any chances. I'm trying hard not to get too hyped about the OTA news, but it's hard.

I took him at 1.05 about a month ago. Wasn't taking any chances.I'm trying hard not to get too hyped about the OTA news, but it's hard.
Yeah, I got him in one league, I have one more dynasty draft to go... I don't pick until #13, and I really want to move up to 5, and I'm trying to fight the urge to overpay (which is what it would take).

Took him at 1.6 recently (Abdullah went 1.5). RB need was much greater, had to resist the urge to take Yeldon, but I hate to reach for positional need if I think there is enough gap in talent, grade and projection to recommend not doing so.

He is comped with A.J. Green a lot, which is high praise but a tough comparison to live up to (I think Green may have the most receptions ever through his first 2-3 seasons - not sure about 4?). Green is the closest I've seen to the body control of Randy Moss (Larry Fitzgerald in his prime great, too). Alshon Jeffery is maybe a better comp, they have near identical size, speed and explosiveness measureables (Jeffery ran a slower combine 40, but improved on it at his pro day, to 4.48?). Green is 6'4", came into the league as a bean pole-like under 210 lbs., ran the slowest 40 (4.50 at the combine, not sure if he improved on that at HIS pro day) and had the worst VJ of the trio, a gravity bound 33"-34"? Jeffery is the same height as Parker at 6'3", about 5 lbs. heavier, ran a similar 40 (Parker 4.45) and about the same VJ (36.5"?). Parker does look a little faster and more explosive, and more dangerous with the ball in his hands in the open field due to his serious RAC skills (he has the movement skills, COD ability and elusiveness of a smaller player). Imo, barring injury, if he maxes out his potential, has eventual top 5-10 WR upside, much like Jeffery (not quite the elite, blue chip prospect Green was - and has played up to).

I'll take Parker over Cooper and White.
Nothing has changed that for me.
Definitely wouldn't fault anyone for taking Parker as the first WR, but if I was given the choice between Cooper and Parker, it'd be hard for me to pass on Cooper. As far as the top tier goes, I probably have Cooper and Parker at 1A and 1B respectively, and White at 3.

Users who are viewing this thread