What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Eagles. (6 Viewers)

Your first one: White is just spinning. Show me one where he spins without the ball.
What? WHy?

Anyways man, Im not here to change your mind... You think Parker is better and that's cool with me.

I just think you're way to down on White.

But we can revisit this year after year to see who was right. If you're right, Ill have no issue telling you that...

I like Parker, whose tape Ive only started watching a few weeks back... Only caught him play a few games this season. Think he'll be a good NFL receiver. Maybe very good.

I just think White will be very good to great
How does spinning translate to running a route? White looks great after the catch. He has trouble translating those YAC movement skills to his routes.

I really would love to see Parker in Minny with Teddy and Charles Johnson.
wow... just posted about this in the White v Cooper thread.

Parker may actually end up the no2 WR off the board, ahead of one of Cooper or White, based on what you just posted.

That already established connection/familiarity w Parker and Teddy

Parker may actually end up the no2 WR off the board, ahead of one of Cooper or White, based on what you just posted.

So again I'll post, Cooper and Bridgewater went to high school together.

sure, id say that counts for something.

just not as much as the college connection.

think the odds are slim anyways that they take parker before white/cooper... but it's always a possibility the idea carries some weight

think the odds are slim anyways that they take parker before white/cooper... but it's always a possibility the idea carries some weight
I think it's very possible 2 of the WRs are gone by the time the Vikings pick.

Kitrick Taylor said:
Soulfly3 said:
jurb26 said:
Soulfly3 said:
mr roboto said:

I think it's very possible 2 of the WRs are gone by the time the Vikings pick.
So do I. Many seem to have them in the top 5 overall players now. Cooper/white that is.

From that article:

I expect Parker to have as good, if not more of an impact than Panthers and Buccaneers wide receivers Kelvin Benjamin and Mike Evans
1008/9

1051/12

Dont get me wrong... I like Parker better than Benjamin.. I was never high on Kelvin. But "expecting" Parker to have more of an impact than Evans is pretty damn ballsy.

The list of 12TD rookie WRs isnt a very long one.... And by that I mean only 1 in the past 20yrs, if Im not mistaken (before this year, of course)

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis said Louisville WR DeVante Parker is "definitely a riser."
"He is off the radar a little bit in being named one of the top receivers because he missed part of last year with a broken foot," Davis wrote. "Coming out of the combine, many people are talking about him maybe being the top receiver in this draft. He did nothing to disappoint us at the combine." NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranks Parker No. 9 overall in the draft, while colleague Bucky Brooks has him No. 8.

Source: NFL.com
Mar 4 - 1:13 AM

Rotoworld:

Louisville WR DeVante Parker would "be the ideal big-play complement to steady sophomore Jarvis Landry and replace the mercurial Mike Wallace," according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"The addition of Suh would make Miami's defense formidable but quarterback Ryan Tannehill still needs weapons if the Dolphins are to reach the playoffs for the first time since 2008. Louisville wide receiver DeVante Parker would seem to be the ideal big-play complement to steady sophomore Jarvis Landry and replace the mercurial Mike Wallace," Rang wrote. With WR Brandon Gibson, WR Brian Hartline now gone, and Mike Wallace's future up in the air, the Dolphins are in need of a true No.1 wideout for Tannehill to rely on. Parker recently met with the Dolphins at the combine, and has been mocked to Miami at No. 14 by many analysts.

Source: CBS Sports
Mar 10 - 2:18 PM

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

Receiver DeVante Parker will be in attendance to participate in position drills and root on his teammates. Parker, who's been a very busy man, will stand on his combine numbers. The big receiver has already worked out for the Pittsburgh Steelers and has official visits scheduled with the Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans and Baltimore Ravens.

The Cleveland Browns, who hold the 12th pick of Round 1 (as well as the 19th), have already worked out Parker and are also bringing him to for an official visit.

The more I watch of him, the more and more Im liking/loving him...

But I dont like that he's rolling w his combine numbers... That worries me a bit

Soulfly3 said:

But I dont like that he's rolling w his combine numbers... That worries me a bit
What's wrong with his combine?

Soulfly3 said:

nothing.

unless Im misunderstanding, he wont be doing any of the drills/40 again... While I can understand that his numbers were good at the combine, it worries me that maybe he isnt doing them again for a reason? (not a good one)

easily can be overthinking this, as Ive started to come around to really liking him.. just wanna be sure

Soulfly3 said:

nothing.

unless Im misunderstanding, he wont be doing any of the drills/40 again... While I can understand that his numbers were good at the combine, it worries me that maybe he isnt doing them again for a reason? (not a good one)

easily can be overthinking this, as Ive started to come around to really liking him.. just wanna be sure
I don't believe many top prospects do those drills again at their pro day if they had a solid performance at the combine, which I beliece Parker did.

Soulfly3 said:

nothing.

I don't believe many top prospects do those drills again at their pro day if they had a solid performance at the combine, which I beliece Parker did.
I always thought Pro Day's were optimized for athletes to put up better numbers than at the combine.

Ive never been one to focus on pro days.... just gametape and to a small extent, the combine.

Regardless... as someone who admitted he needed to watch much more tape on Parker, Ive come away very, very impressed

Rotoworld:

Louisville WR DeVante Parker has met with the Dolphins, Vikings, Chargers and 49ers.
The Dolphins and Vikings recently added receivers, but the 49ers in particular seem like a logical fit despite already signing Torrey Smith. Just meeting with a prospect does not mean much, and we will focus on where Parker visits throughout the process.

Source: Steve Jones on Twitter
Mar 14 - 12:21 PM

Parker should be in the discussion for best WR in the class, but he's not. That's fine by me.
I feel like I agree. This feels like it will come down to the things we cannot see.....work ethic and situation. I think the top three are REAL close (Cooper, White, Parker).

nothing.

I always thought Pro Day's were optimized for athletes to put up better numbers than at the combine.

Ive never been one to focus on pro days.... just gametape and to a small extent, the combine.

Regardless... as someone who admitted he needed to watch much more tape on Parker, Ive come away very, very impressed
If that's the case then he stands to lose a lot if any of his measurables are worse than the combine. I see no problem standing on his combine numbers if he thinks it's as good as he can do.

Rotoworld:

Based on tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell envisions Louisville WR DeVante Parker as a "complementary" Michael Crabtree-type receiver in the pros, as opposed to a true No. 1 wideout.
Cosell believes Parker is "not really vertically explosive" and more of a "short-to-intermediate receiver" who presumably may need offensive scheme to threaten downfield. "DeVante Parker to me is probably a second-tier wide receiver in the NFL, not a lead dog," said Cosell. Parker ran forty times of 4.45 and 4.50 at the Combine. He measured in at 6-foot-3 and 209 pounds.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast
Mar 19 - 10:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Based on tape study, NFL Films' Greg Cosell envisions Louisville WR DeVante Parker as a "complementary" Michael Crabtree-type receiver in the pros, as opposed to a true No. 1 wideout.
Cosell believes Parker is "not really vertically explosive" and more of a "short-to-intermediate receiver" who presumably may need offensive scheme to threaten downfield. "DeVante Parker to me is probably a second-tier wide receiver in the NFL, not a lead dog," said Cosell. Parker ran forty times of 4.45 and 4.50 at the Combine. He measured in at 6-foot-3 and 209 pounds.

DeVante Parker averaged 17.8 yards per catch (19.9 in 2014 without Bridgewater) and scored 33 TD in 43 games (.767 TD/game)

I don't know what Cossell watched because his statement makes no sense in regards to Parker only being a short to intermediate receiver.

Kevin White averaged 13.6 yards per catch (13.3 in 2014) and scored 15 TD in 24 games (.625 TD/game)

2014 Parker was the 10th best of all WR in yards per catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

DeVante Parker averaged 17.8 yards per catch (19.9 in 2014 without Bridgewater) and scored 33 TD in 43 games (.767 TD/game)

I don't know what Cossell watched because his statement makes no sense in regards to Parker only being a short to intermediate receiver.

Kevin White averaged 13.6 yards per catch (13.3 in 2014) and scored 15 TD in 24 games (.625 TD/game)
I can see it, although I don't fully agree. Parker wins with his footwork from what I've seen and he excels in the short/intermediate area. He's definitely more than that though. Also hate the Crabtree comparison.

Why Louisville WR DeVante Parker made first team

Louisville receiver DeVante Parker missed seven games with a foot injury, but leaving him off the ESPN.com All-ACC team would have meant ignoring one of the top five players in the league this season.

There. I said it. In only five games, Parker showed why he will be a first-round pick in the NFL draft, perhaps even in the top 10. In a word, he was unstoppable, with 35 receptions for 735 yards and five touchdowns. Because he did not play in enough games, he does not qualify to be listed among the ACC stat leaders. But it is not easy to do some simple calculations to figure out how dominant he was in 2014. Parker led his own team in receptions and receiving yards, opening up the offense in a way that made the Cardinals much more dynamic. Florida State defenders can tell anybody that first-hand after he torched them for a season-high 214 yards.

Parker gained more than 100 yards receiving in four of five games, averaging 147 yards per game. That would rank him No. 1 in the league and No. 2 in the nation, ahead of Heisman finalist Amari Cooper (127.4 yards per game).

He averaged seven receptions per game. That would rank him No. 2 in the league and among the top 15 in the nation.

He averaged 21 yards per catch, second behind Miami's Phillip Dorsett.

Not only does Parker lead his own team in receiving yards, he would lead eight other ACC teams in receiving yards, too: Boston College, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, NC State, Syracuse Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.

Quite impressive.

In the end, it does not seem fair to penalize Parker for breaking his foot in August. Not only did it cost him most of his senior season, it cost us the chance to watch such a dynamic playmaker every single week. There are so many what-if scenarios with a healthy Parker that we can only guess about what he, and Louisville, could have done.

But it is worth rewarding Parker for what we saw over a short period of time. He did not need 12 games to convince anybody he is one of the best receivers not just in the ACC, but in the entire country. Really, he only needed one.
DeVante Parker vs FSU (2014)

SCOUTING REPORT: DEVANTE PARKER, WR, LOUISVILLE

Pro Comparison: A.J. Green. I really, really like DeVante Parker as a prospect coming into this draft. I believe he’s a true Split End who has the ability to not only beat defenders deep, but also make really spectacular catches on jump balls and has moves after the catch. He is by no means a perfect prospect, and particularly struggles on shorter, underneath routes. He also has a bit of a thin frame. If you’re looking for a really lofty NFL comparison, look no further than AJ Green. I don’t think Parker is nearly as good as Green is right now, or as good as Green was coming out, but they both have very similar frames (6’3″ 209 for Parker vs. 6’4″ 207 for Green) and both have a knack for making spectacular catches on jump balls.

DeVante Parker – Louisville

Excels on the deep ball with exceptional ball skills and huge catch radius. LONG arms enable him to gain separation and grab balls most WRs would have no chance at
WR DeVante Parker – Louisville – 6-3/209 – Grade: 7.2 Very long frame with best long speed of the top 3 WRs (on film). Silky in his movements, fearlessness over the middle, and will make his living in the intermediate game.Link
I'd have to watch more film of him but my impression of him was a possession wr. Most of the plays downfield I saw him make there was a defender all over him. Ball skills are nice but if you aren't creating significant separation in college you'll be blanketed in the pros.

Excels on the deep ball with exceptional ball skills and huge catch radius. LONG arms enable him to gain separation and grab balls most WRs would have no chance at
WR DeVante Parker – Louisville – 6-3/209 – Grade: 7.2 Very long frame with best long speed of the top 3 WRs (on film). Silky in his movements, fearlessness over the middle, and will make his living in the intermediate game.Link
I'd have to watch more film of him but my impression of him was a possession wr. Most of the plays downfield I saw him make there was a defender all over him. Ball skills are nice but if you aren't creating significant separation in college you'll be blanketed in the pros.
Well you can start here DeVante Parker vs FSU (2014)

Does he get separation on the first play of this game or not?

He is playing against PJ Williams who is graded as a first round corner prospect for the NFL draft. 4th best corner of this class according to Rob Rang and highly regarded by just about everyone.

Who in this draft creates "consistent separation"? Can you define it?

Who in this draft creates "consistent separation"? Can you define it?
Who are you quoting?

Because he didn't use the word 'consistent.'

Jordan Matthews didn't create much separation in college, seems to be doing alright so far in the NFL

He is playing against PJ Williams who is graded as a first round corner prospect for the NFL draft. 4th best corner of this class according to Rob Rang and highly regarded by just about everyone.
That game is a prime example, which will amaze the people who love him. Most of the plays down the field he has a defender within a foot of him.

The play you mention was a blown coverage. He was open by over 5 yards, clearly a blown assignment. And when the defender turns to run, he eats up that cushion very quickly. When a defender gains over 5 yards in a 20 yard span, that's a pretty huge difference. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/devante-parker-vs-fsu-2014/His 2 other big plays, a bit after the 3 minute mark he was blanketed, the qb made a perfect throw and he pushed off a bit. At the 4:30 mark he was covered and really pushed off.

I'm not saying he's a bad wr but some people are talking about him like a big deep threat and a potential elite wr in the NFL. I agree more with Cosell, I see more of a possession wr that will have the occasional big play. I think he's better than Crabtree, Hopkins may be a better comparison, but he's not a Julio Jones, Mike Evans, etc.

The play you mention was a blown coverage. He was open by over 5 yards, clearly a blown assignment. And when the defender turns to run, he eats up that cushion very quickly. When a defender gains over 5 yards in a 20 yard span, that's a pretty huge difference.
Yeah that play was a terrible blown coverage. Still, the fact that he got caught by the defender gaining over 5 YDS in a 20 yd span was entirely because of how horribly under thrown the pass was, causing Parker to nearly stop to make the catch. I'm not sure how this wasn't pointed out.The play at the 3 min mark is a thing of beauty and shows a ton of attributes that translate to the NFL. I'm not sure how this play can be justified as something negative, at all. He cleanly beats a very good press CB of the LOS, gets immediately even, is pulling away, idles down using his body to create perfect positioning between him and the defender and tracks the ball perfectly on an over the shoulder outside pass. The ball tracking on this play is what is most impressive and it's the reason you think it's a push off. He slows to allows this pass to drop perfectly and he makes the throw look better than it was.

The 3rd play was a clear push off.

If you agree with Cosell after watching that all I can say is you only see what you want to see.

Parker gets open on all kinds of routes. You don't have such a high yards per catch as Parker has by only being a short to intermediate receiver.

Cosell had a really bad evaluation of Teddy Bridgewater too. He is just doubling down. If I had any doubt about Bridgewater it was because Parker is so good.

The issue, and it will be a defining one for many NFL coaches, is how Bridgewater threw the ball. He was a short-armer without the needed ability to drive the ball. He was a soft-tosser who threw the ball effectively in the short to intermediate areas inside the numbers, but struggled to make the more difficult throws outside the numbers. And he did not throw the deep ball well at all. He had to put a lot of body into those throws; as a result, he struggled with trajectory and accuracy. Bridgewater's throwing limitations were not a function of arm strength; they were more a result of his natural throwing motion. It was the reason many of his throws fell apart as they gained distance, and lost energy on the back end. Bridgewater doesn't spin it very well; too many passes came out wobbly. If you don't think that's a concern for NFL coaches, then you are not watching the NFL. Link
I guess Norv Turner isn't watching the NFL.

None of this is new, of course. Bridgewater probably displays the greatest amount of development on film. The question is whether that is enough to be an NFL starter, given limited arm strength and size.

"The issue with Bridgewater is he's very slight, he's not a big body, he's got a good arm, not a great arm. Theoretically he can make every throw, but making every throw when you have clean pockets is different than making every throw when you don't. He doesn't really drive the ball, Bridgewater, he's a bit of a short-armer.

"He bulked up to 214 lbs for the combine. I've spoken to people that late in the year he weighed 188 lbs, so he probably bulked up just for the combine so the number would be good. So, you know, that's something you have to think about. He's not a big kid, he's a slight kid."

Cosell ended his Bridgewater description with one line that seemed to sum up his thoughts on the college quarterback. "The question is how much does he need around him to be an effective player."

So, it seems Cosell may view Bridgewater as more of a game manager at quarterback. Someone who will run the offense effectively and efficiently, but who may struggle if the pieces surrounding him are suboptimal. Meanwhile, Blake Bortles is a very talented player, but the question is whether he can harness that talent and turn into a quality NFL starter. Link
Teddy Bridgewater's supporting cast last season would be the very definition of sub optimal. No Adrian Peterson. One of his favorite targets was Charles Johnson who the Vikings plucked off of the Cleveland Browns practice squad. Yet Bridgewater still excelled.

There is some consistency in how Cosell says that Bridgewater/Parker are no good at the deep passing game. He is just wrong on both counts.

That game is a prime example, which will amaze the people who love him. Most of the plays down the field he has a defender within a foot of him.

The play you mention was a blown coverage. He was open by over 5 yards, clearly a blown assignment. And when the defender turns to run, he eats up that cushion very quickly. When a defender gains over 5 yards in a 20 yard span, that's a pretty huge difference. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/devante-parker-vs-fsu-2014/His 2 other big plays, a bit after the 3 minute mark he was blanketed, the qb made a perfect throw and he pushed off a bit. At the 4:30 mark he was covered and really pushed off.

I'm not saying he's a bad wr but some people are talking about him like a big deep threat and a potential elite wr in the NFL. I agree more with Cosell, I see more of a possession wr that will have the occasional big play. I think he's better than Crabtree, Hopkins may be a better comparison, but he's not a Julio Jones, Mike Evans, etc.
White is Hopkins. He has an even worse time "separating" because his routes are horrible, especially for a fake 4.35 guy.

Being a deep threat isn't about separating. I'm not even sure most people know what that word means or how it actually happens.

The play you mention was a blown coverage. He was open by over 5 yards, clearly a blown assignment. And when the defender turns to run, he eats up that cushion very quickly. When a defender gains over 5 yards in a 20 yard span, that's a pretty huge difference.
Yeah that play was a terrible blown coverage. Still, the fact that he got caught by the defender gaining over 5 YDS in a 20 yd span was entirely because of how horribly under thrown the pass was, causing Parker to nearly stop to make the catch. I'm not sure how this wasn't pointed out.The play at the 3 min mark is a thing of beauty and shows a ton of attributes that translate to the NFL. I'm not sure how this play can be justified as something negative, at all. He cleanly beats a very good press CB of the LOS, gets immediately even, is pulling away, idles down using his body to create perfect positioning between him and the defender and tracks the ball perfectly on an over the shoulder outside pass. The ball tracking on this play is what is most impressive and it's the reason you think it's a push off. He slows to allows this pass to drop perfectly and he makes the throw look better than it was.

On the first play, the defender looks clearly a lot faster than him before and after the catch, just how I see it.

I won't argue that the play at the 3 min mark was nice ball skills but the defender was right on his hip and was running right with him the whole wayl. Not saying it's a bad play but this is best game in college and there's not a lot of proof there that he will be a deep threat in the NFL for me. I've watched his other games as well and I just don't see plays where he accelerates past defenders and leaves them in the dust. Like I said earlier, I could see a Hopkins type of player who can make some plays deep but it really isn't something he's going to do consistently at the NFL level. I mean I hope I'm wrong, I have the 1.05 in one league, where I really need a wr, so I'm probably going to pick him but I don't quite see the elite ceiling that others are.

On the first play, the defender looks clearly a lot faster than him before and after the catch, just how I see it.

I won't argue that the play at the 3 min mark was nice ball skills but the defender was right on his hip and was running right with him the whole wayl. Not saying it's a bad play but this is best game in college and there's not a lot of proof there that he will be a deep threat in the NFL for me. I've watched his other games as well and I just don't see plays where he accelerates past defenders and leaves them in the dust. Like I said earlier, I could see a Hopkins type of player who can make some plays deep but it really isn't something he's going to do consistently at the NFL level. I mean I hope I'm wrong, I have the 1.05 in one league, where I really need a wr, so I'm probably going to pick him but I don't quite see the elite ceiling that others are.
FSU sported two of the best CBs in the country this year. Darby (4.38/40) and Williams (4.57/40) are probable top 50 picks. Parker (in his 2nd game back from injury) schooled them to the tune of 8/214.

Are you suggesting that his 4.45 speed isn't going to translate? To me it is comforting to watch him win in contested situations. That's what its all about in the NFL, because few WRs can leave a CB in the dust.

Parker had a chance to be a 1st rounder in last years draft class. He's a near lock for a top 15 selection this year. Sometimes I think we try too hard to poke holes in a players game. Parker has very good speed, but that isn't his best attribute. He is exceptional at high pointed the football, and has a ridiculous 80 inch wingspan. That is a winning trait in today's NFL.

Users who are viewing this thread