What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (2 Viewers)

I own Breida in all my dynasty leagues.  Love that little guy.  But I think he is going to be 3rd in that backfield if they keep everyone.  

Breida is talented but I still believe McKinnon is more talented and would’ve had a much better season in that offense than Breida had he not gotten hurt.  

I’m mad about this signing because I also own McKinnon and Coleman.  Doubt they can offer fantasy relevance to all 3.  

I just think you are way limiting the potential of Breida to be the lead or get 50% of the work.  No way they reduce him to 10 after last season
Sure you did, but look I agree that 40-50 represents what we are talking about. Here is my thing, I think he is good enough, I just don't think the coaches want to do that. I think they want to have McKinnon be like Freeman and Coleman be like....Coleman. From the Atlanta days. But to your point, Breida is good enough and has excelled enough to get on the field. Will the coaches see it that way? IDK. 

Sure you did, but look I agree that 40-50 represents what we are talking about. Here is my thing, I think he is good enough, I just don't think the coaches want to do that. I think they want to have McKinnon be like Freeman and Coleman be like....Coleman. From the Atlanta days. But to your point, Breida is good enough and has excelled enough to get on the field. Will the coaches see it that way? IDK. 
who knows, it certainly is all speculation at this poit. Breida may injure himself in the first week of preseason and Coleman or McKinnon may look unstoppable and run away with the job.  

That being said, all things being equal this is an ugly backfield from a fantasy perspective.  

who knows, it certainly is all speculation at this poit. Breida may injure himself in the first week of preseason and Coleman or McKinnon may look unstoppable and run away with the job.  

That being said, all things being equal this is an ugly backfield from a fantasy perspective.  
Definitely. If a clearer picture can emerge at some point, there are definitely PPR catches to go around there. And I like the direction the offense is headed.

Breida didn't get a lot of touches last year.  He just did really well with them.  2 game 20 or more, 4 with 15 or more.  He should have a role, but not lead back.  You could say the same thing about Jet and Coleman.      

49ers offensive skill position players include

Jimmy g/mullins

Kittle

Pettis
Goodwin

Breida
Mckinnon
Coleman
Juicechick

They may be thinking about using a ton of 2rb sets because who else do they have?

Someone will emerge as the guy to own in a highly productive offense for running backs.  It might not be clear week 1 but these things tend to work themselves out.  

The one thing i don't think is likely is that coleman emerges as the lead back. He was the "backup" with Shanahan before, was the backup afterwards, tried and failed as a starter this year and signed for backup money with the coach who used him as a backup.  I'm not saying he won't get his share of touches, and he might be fantasy relevant as the but he's not likely to be their rb1.  So to me, this is time to buy shares of breida and McKinnon.  If someone emerges as the clear rb1 they could have several nice years.  

Contracts numbers look even worse then first thought. $3.6m in first year of $8.5M two year deal.
Spotrac @spotrac

Tevin Coleman’s 2 year $8.5M deal w/ the #Niners is essentially a 1 year $3.6M contract. He gets $3.25M guaranteed, all in 2019 after which SF can release him with no dead cap hit. Full Breakdown: bit.ly/2Ci8tJ2

Spotrac @spotrac

Tevin Coleman’s 2 year $8.5M deal w/ the #Niners is essentially a 1 year $3.6M contract. He gets $3.25M guaranteed, all in 2019 after which SF can release him with no dead cap hit. Full Breakdown: bit.ly/2Ci8tJ2
Wow.   Kinda crazy that Atlanta wouldn't have paid him more than that.....

killface said:
I just think you are way limiting the potential of Breida to be the lead or get 50% of the work.  No way they reduce him to 10 after last season
They won't have to limit Breida.  His body limits him....seemingly each week.  The talent is there, but he's just not built to withstand the physical rigors of the NFL.

No better or worse than Atlanta imo.   Which isn’t really good.  Seems like a guy that’s always going to be taking up space on my roster.  Going to try and move him. 

TEVIN COLEMAN RB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Niners coach Kyle Shanahan said "it could make a lot of sense this year" to have four active running backs on game days.

"I think we're in a situation right now, just looking at our roster, that I think it could make a lot of sense this year," Shanahan said on potentially keeping four backs active in-season. The Niners may not have the most talented backfield in the league, but the addition of Tevin Coleman behind Matt Breida and Jerick McKinnon (not to mention Raheem Mostert) certainly gives the team the deepest in the NFL. All four have not only shown above-average receiving chops in the past, but they all collectively burned 40-times between 4.39-4.42 at their respective Combines/Pro Days. As it stands, Breida projects to handle early downs with McKinnon and Coleman mixing-in heavily as change-of-pace alternatives throughout play.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Mar 16, 2019, 3:27 PM

Coach Kyle Shanahan suggested that Tevin Coleman may be the 49ers' short-yardage back this season.

"Tevin Coleman is bigger than people think," Shanahan said. "Tevin runs hard and he’s physical.
Tevin plays like a big back to me. Tevin runs hard, he gets downhill, he just doesn’t run like a small back." The Niners have a logjam of running backs with the addition of Coleman and return of Jerick McKinnon to join Matt Breida and Raheem Mostert. Coleman is the biggest back on the roster at 6'1/210, but doesn't really strike one as a short-yardage type due to his long speed and all-or-nothing home run-hitting style. But if he can wedge his way into the short-yardage and goal-line situation, Coleman could prove to be the best fantasy bet in this wide-open backfield.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 29, 2019, 9:00 AM

I've read that he's actually only 5'11
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/tevin-coleman?id=2552453

With that said, I don't think he will be that great at short-yardage stuff. Maybe I'm wrong, but he's obviously a speed back that is at his best when he can use his long strides. He has some power, sure, but he has a bad tendency to run into his own OL, get tripped up behind the LOS, and to fall down on the first hit. And that's not even considering his injury issues. I'd keep an eye on him for sure, but I still like Breida the most in this backfield. I hope I'm wrong though, since I drafted Tevin in the rookie draft of one of my dynasty leagues. 

NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco expects Tevin Coleman to receive the most touches among the 49ers' running backs this year.

Coleman has been getting first-team reps with Jerick McKinnon, Matt Breida, and Raheem Mostert sitting out OTAs. There are some concerns McKinnon is going to need time to regain his pre-injury form, giving Coleman the early edge for lead back duties. Even if Coleman starts the year atop the depth chart, the 49ers backfield is a situation to avoid.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

May 27, 2019, 9:20 AM ET

Where would you slot Coleman if he was available in the rookie draft?  I have him around pick 16/17, just after Darrell Henderson and Hakeem Butler, but just ahead of Irv Smith, Devin Singletary, and Damien Harris. 

Where would you slot Coleman if he was available in the rookie draft?  I have him around pick 16/17, just after Darrell Henderson and Hakeem Butler, but just ahead of Irv Smith, Devin Singletary, and Damien Harris. 
I tried adding  Tevin + a 5th round pick in several offers to various teams for a late 3 early 4 in my draft a couple weeks ago, no dice.

Tevin Coleman said he is lining up at wide receiver more than he did under coach Kyle Shanahan in Atlanta.

Coleman said the biggest difference between Shanahan as a coordinator and Shanahan as a head coach is his level of creativity. "He can put guys at multiple positions," Coleman said. "He can put us in multiple positions to run different routes. It’s pretty good." Even with Jerick McKinnon and Matt Breida dealing with injuries, Coleman is unlikely to run away with the starting job in San Francisco, but his ability to add production in the passing game should keep him in the fantasy mix.

May 30, 2019, 9:08 AM ET

Pretend for a moment that the 49ers didn’t pay McKinnon last year. They had a few young guys who looked good in breida and Wilson, but they sign Coleman, who just played for the head coach when he was a coordinator. Wouldn’t we all be salivating? Wonder if Coleman is being undervalued. 

Pretend for a moment that the 49ers didn’t pay McKinnon last year. They had a few young guys who looked good in breida and Wilson, but they sign Coleman, who just played for the head coach when he was a coordinator. Wouldn’t we all be salivating? Wonder if Coleman is being undervalued. 
But they did pay McKinnon. They paid him high end rb1 money. And when he got hurt, breida played at a high level.  

So the fact is that they are still paying McKinnon rb1 money, and they still have last year's rb1.  

Meanwhile, coleman didn't get snapped up in the first wave of free agency the way fantasy football people had expected. 

SF signed the rb who used to be a backup for Shanahan in atlanta and paid him backup money, and are talking about lining him up as a receiver.

He'll definitely have a role, i just don't see him as the rb1. 

Last 3 seasons Tevin averaged 12 touches per game/193 per 16 games.

That was with a stud Devonte Freeman playing in front of him for most of those games.

In SF there is no bell-cow ahead of him.  I think 13-15 touches a game is realistic.  Solid RB2/3-Flex play for 2019.

The Athletic's Matt Barrows expects Tevin Coleman to be the 49ers' "de facto" lead runner.

Barrows' reasoning is that Coleman "knows Kyle Shanahan’s offense, and is dangerous as both a runner and pass catcher." He also believes his durability will be a factor. Barrows predicts Coleman will be the "most popular among fantasy football geeks." Barrows is mostly just guessing, but they are decent guesses after Shanahan went out and got Coleman in free agency. Regardless of Coleman's role, neither Matt Breida nor Jerick McKinnon are going to fade away, making for a messy situation in fantasy.

RELATED: 

Matt Breida

, Jerick McKinnon

Jul 23, 2019, 2:11 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Tevin Coleman is expected to "miss time" after suffering a sprained ankle in Sunday's Week 1 win over the Buccaneers.

Monday's MRI should determine the nature of his sprain, though even if it's of the lesser variety (that would be a "low-ankle" sprain), it's still likely Coleman will be out for an extended period. With Jerick McKinnon (knee) on injured reserve, Matt Breida should function as the lead back with Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson (who will likely be promoted from the Niners' practice squad) both serving as backfield depth.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 9, 2019, 11:47 AM ET

I swear I saw Breida getting checked for a concussion but not seeing it anywhere now. Guessing good to go?
That was the early report but then I heard that he was pulled out for dehydration. That seems to make more sense as he entered the game afterwards.

He has a high ankle sprain per Shanahan. That's 6+ weeks, IIRC? 

I had four injuries in one league  so may need the space in that case. :unintentional rhyming:

Rotoworld:

Tevin Coleman has been diagnosed with a high-ankle sprain.

He'll likely miss multiple games, as high-ankle sprains typically come with a standard 2-6 week recovery. It's especially difficult for a running back; they rely on suddenness and cutting ability as much as any other position. Matt Breida figures to take over 1A duties for the Niners, with Raheem Mostert and perhaps Jeff Wilson behind him. Alfred Morris is also a free agent after spending last season with San Francisco.

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Sep 9, 2019, 6:40 PM ET

Coach Kyle Shanahan "thinks" Tevin Coleman (ankle) could return to practice next week.

Injured in the Week 1 win over the Bucs, Coleman has missed the last two games. He was initially given a timetable of 4-6 weeks, so Week 5 would be the front of that time frame. With Coleman out, the Niners have been using a three-man committee in the backfield with Matt Breida and Raheem Mostert doing most of the heavy lifting before Jeff Wilson comes in and steals all the short touchdowns. It's been a situation to avoid if possible.

SOURCE: Eric Branch on Twitter

Sep 23, 2019, 6:35 PM ET

This guy is sitting in free agency asking to be picked up. I haven’t watched enough niners football to know, but they seem to be pretty committee driven looking at stats.

Does Coleman get a big role back when he returns. This seemed to bring him here for that very reason. Although I’m not sure I ever viewed Coleman as a true nfl starting running back. He always seemed to perform better in a timeshare in Atlanta.

Any Shanahan RB is worthwhile especially Coleman for the $$$ you state. Breida will eventually get hurt, Mostert has the dropsies and Wilson isn't a factor. I've been holding for weeks. 

Any Shanahan RB is worthwhile especially Coleman for the $$$ you state. Breida will eventually get hurt, Mostert has the dropsies and Wilson isn't a factor. I've been holding for weeks. 
The guy that has all four of SF's rushing TDs is probably at least a little factor.

The guy that has all four of SF's rushing TDs is probably at least a little factor.
Not if Wilson ends up inactive on gamedays and Coleman takes on the goal-line role. Doubtful they keep all 4 RBs active on gamedays, and Wilson's limited role seems to be the most likely to be the one left out.

If Coleman gets 50-60% of the RB touches on that offense plus GL carries, that's a valuable piece.

Not if Wilson ends up inactive on gamedays and Coleman takes on the goal-line role. Doubtful they keep all 4 RBs active on gamedays, and Wilson's limited role seems to be the most likely to be the one left out.

If Coleman gets 50-60% of the RB touches on that offense plus GL carries, that's a valuable piece.
Wilson being inactive is certainly plausible.

Coleman getting 50%+ of the RB touches doesn't seem very likely (IMO).

Wilson being inactive is certainly plausible.

Coleman getting 50%+ of the RB touches doesn't seem very likely (IMO).
Well, maybe, maybe not. Coleman entered the year as the starter, and even with him out, Breida and Mostert basically split carries and lost goal-line work. That tells me Coleman may have factored heavily into their plans. 

I think it's very plausible to think Coleman would get roughly 50% of the work with Breida and occasionally Mostert filling in for series, but I don't see that offense splitting work up evenly between all three of them AND keeping a goal-line back active too. If Coleman get GL carries (and that's distinctly possible since Shananan didn't trust Breida or Mostert with that role in his absense), there's a potential for strong RB2 value there. Well worth a shot right now IMO. 

Tevin Coleman (ankle) resumed practicing on Thursday.

Coach Kyle Shanahan had said this was a possibility. Coleman will probably earn a "limited" tag, but there is now a real chance he suits up for the first time since Week 1 when the 49ers host the Browns on Monday evening. Coleman's return would essentially make the 49ers' backfield a four-man rotation that needs to be avoided in fantasy until further clarity can be gained. It's possible Coleman's status won't be known by the time most lineup spots lock at 1PM ET on Sunday.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Oct 3, 2019, 3:43 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread