What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (1 Viewer)

Goal line back is the hope here and I would imagine Wilson gets deactivated because of that. Only issue is that MNF slot the 49ers have this week.

Goal line back is the hope here and I would imagine Wilson gets deactivated because of that. Only issue is that MNF slot the 49ers have this week.
He was drafted at the end of round 5 in my league and then dropped. So right now he sits at the end of my bench as a flyer.

Im not sure he is a RB1 and that backfield looks like a turnstile, but as good as a ticket as any end of bench stash out there. Coach loves him. Hopefully something shakes out Monday to add some clarity. I’d be very afraid to start him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was stupid for being high on him back in early August, this backfield is a mess, especially if Wilson is still somehow active and gets GL carries. I'll hold until next week since I assume he'll be eased in this week, but if he's only getting around 10 touches in week 6 then he'll be a frustration drop for me lol. I'm just really frustrated with SF in general for FF. I was high on Pettis and Coleman and now both are potentially in timeshares with 3-4 other players lol.

Tevin Coleman (ankle) is officially questionable for Week 5's game against the Browns.

Coleman was limited at practice all week, so he seems healthy enough to suit up for Monday Night Football. The question is if the Niners will activate him with Matt Breida, Raheem Mostert, and Jeff Wilson playing well. When asked about Coleman playing on Monday Night Football, coach Kyle Shanahan said, "Definitely being optimistic about him being ready to go on Monday. We’ll be excited to have him." Even if he's active, Coleman would likely be a low-volume member in this committee, so he's not a recommended flex play, especially since we won't know if he's playing until Monday night.

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Oct 5, 2019, 5:00 PM ET

Round and round we go. Goes from "100% and ready to go" to questionable in 12 hours. Too risky for MNF.

According to Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area, Tevin Coleman (questionable, ankle) is expected to be available for Monday night's Week 5 game against the Browns.

Coleman will be making his return from a two-game absence, though it's unclear how much responsibility he'll be given coming off a high-ankle sprain. Matt Breida and Raheem Mostert should remain involved while Jeff Wilson could occupy a LeGarrette Blount-esque role as the team's goal-line finisher. With so much uncertainty, it's best to avoid Niners running backs until we have a clearer picture of the team's backfield pecking order.

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter

Oct 7, 2019, 11:54 AM ET

With so much uncertainty, it's best to avoid Niners running backs until we have a clearer picture of the team's backfield pecking order.
I'm afraid it'll be an avoid even after we have a clearer picture.

Tevin Coleman (ankle) is active for Week 5 against the Browns.

Coleman is back after missing the last three games with a high-ankle sprain. The 49ers will continue to rotate three running backs with no real rhyme or reason to things, making none particularly exciting as anything more than dice-roll RB3 options. Jeff Wilson is now inactive with Coleman back in uniform.

Oct 7, 2019, 6:54 PM ET

Tevin Coleman rushed 16 times for 97 yards and one touchdown in the 49ers' Week 5 win over the Browns.

Matt Breida got the start and rushed for an 83-yard touchdown on the opening play for the Niners, but Coleman was obviously heavily involved and out-carried Breida 16-11. It was unclear just how much work Coleman would get coming off a three-week absence after a high-ankle sprain, but Coleman looked as good as he possibly could have and is firmly back on the RB2 map ahead of a Week 6 draw with the Rams. It was a two-man show in the backfield with Jeff Wilson inactive and Raheem Mostert mixing in sparingly while filling his special teams duties.

Guy in the nfl #1 rushing offense that nobody is talking about. Coleman.

Have to start him due to injury now.

Looked great last week and surprised how many carries he got after Breida’s hot start.

Not sure what to expect tomorrow.

Tevin Coleman rushed 18 times for 45 yards and one touchdown in the 49ers' Week 6 win over the Rams.

Coleman has scored in back-to-back games since returning from his high-ankle sprain and is averaging 17 carries per contest in two healthy appearances. The 49ers run one of the most run-heavy offenses, making Coleman and Matt Breida both solid RB2 options week to week, especially when the San Francisco defense dominates like it has been. Coleman will be a lock-and-load play next week against the lowly Redskins.

I'm going to chase points on Thursday...

Change my mind.
Of course Coleman is not going to get near this past game's production, but he's the lead dog on a very good team and is the primary goal line option. 

He's a solid RB2 going forward, even with splitting time with Breida and Co.

I read an article late last week... in the three games back from his injury, Coleman had 15 red zone snaps to Breidas 1. He was primed for this kind of game, especially in such a good and run heavy offense. 

You know what I saw yesterday?

1.) A runningback who finally put it all together.

2.) A runningback in one of the best situations in the entire NFL.

3.) A runningback in his prime. He hasn’t lost an ounce of athleticism since college and is now a professional player in all facets of the game.

The way San Francisco was able to consistently attack the perimeter against the Panthers was a thing of beauty. I officially became a believer.

Coleman always had all the tools and is finally being given the chance to be “the guy”.

He had been given thee chance before, by Shanahan no less.
To my recollection, he only received the lion’s share in Atlanta when Freeman went down.

In San Francisco, everyone’s healthy and he’s still the guy. I think he’s playing with a chip on his shoulder.

Part of me wants to be silly and go “all-in” and spend my 2020 1st + D Johnson (PIT WR) for Coleman + Edelman in my big $ league w/ ppc and elevated ppr scoring for RBs.  But after spending my other 2 firsts on K Allen and M Ingram, I’m gun shy on new acquisitions not living up to the performance I thought I was buying. 

He has looked good so far, though

You know what I saw yesterday?

1.) A runningback who finally put it all together.

2.) A runningback in one of the best situations in the entire NFL.

3.) A runningback in his prime. He hasn’t lost an ounce of athleticism since college and is now a professional player in all facets of the game.

The way San Francisco was able to consistently attack the perimeter against the Panthers was a thing of beauty. I officially became a believer.

Coleman always had all the tools and is finally being given the chance to be “the guy”.
4.) A running back who has a pretty good run schedule ROW.

Tevin Coleman rushed 12 times for 23 yards in the 49ers' Week 9 win over the Cardinals, adding three receptions for 13 additional yards.

It was an immensely frustrating night for Coleman, who couldn't find any running room as a supposedly-hobbled Matt Breida kept posting chunk gains. Coleman also had a touchdown called back by offensive holding, and dropped what might have an 84-yard score on a fourth quarter screen. Coleman is going to want to put this game film in the trash four days after he erupted for four touchdowns. Unable to put away Breida, Coleman will be a low-floor, high-ceiling RB2 for Week 10 against the Seahawks.

Nov 1, 2019, 12:13 AM ET

Breida is rasputin. Guy is always banged up, but always plays. Then somehow, he got all the chunk plays.

And of course, Coleman has a TD called back and drops a potential long TD screen.

And so it goes.
I own both players, and will continue to roll out Coleman as my RB2 as long as he's healthy. Those two plays push him over 20 points again, and he's still getting a ton of snaps in the red zone. Breida is a great insurance policy, and an awesome FLEX play most weeks.

Coleman looked like crap last night, but he was close to a decent stat line.  One TD taken back by penalty and he dropped a pass that would have resulted in a likely big play.

The problem I have is that it is really frustrating to own Coleman and start him.  SF rotates backs in constantly, and it is not just the situation.  Breida just looked better, so you risk that Shanahan goes with the hot hand.

fightingillini said:
Coleman looked like crap last night, but he was close to a decent stat line.  One TD taken back by penalty and he dropped a pass that would have resulted in a likely big play.

The problem I have is that it is really frustrating to own Coleman and start him.  SF rotates backs in constantly, and it is not just the situation.  Breida just looked better, so you risk that Shanahan goes with the hot hand.
I think both Breida and Coleman looked good on certain types of plays last night (rushing the edges). They both looked bad rushing up the middle, but Coleman ran way more of those types of plays so looked bad because of play script. Arizona was getting great line play on both sides of the ball last night.

To my eye the guy just does not look that good. IMO Shanny has made him what he is, Breida seems to look more electric.

Tevin Coleman rushed nine times for 40 yards in the 49ers' Week 10 loss to the Seahawks.

He added 32 yards as a receiver on four catches. Matt Breida left this one early with an ankle injury, but Raheem Mostert was simply plugged into that role as Coleman's sidekick. Since Coleman's 11-105-3 rushing day against the Panthers in Week 8, he has 21 carries for 63 scoreless yards in two games. Coleman will look to rebound next week against the Cardinals, who he struggled to a 12-23-0 line against in Week 9.

Tevin Coleman rushed 12 times for 14 yards in the 49ers' Week 11 win over the Cardinals.

He tried to save his afternoon by catching 3-of-4 targets in the passing game for 48 yards, but Jimmy Garoppolo missed him badly on the missed connection that should have been a walk-in four-yard touchdown. Coleman was also stuffed on a first-and-goal carry from the three-yard line for a two-yard loss. The Niners settled for three short touchdown passes to Ross Dwelley (two) and Kendrick Bourne, all from inside the 10-yard line. Coleman has been nonexistent since his four-TD game against the Panthers in Week 8. He gets a home date with the Packers in Week 12.

Nov 17, 2019, 7:42 PM ET

Tevin Coleman rushed 11 times for 39 yards and a touchdown and caught 2-of-4 targets for 10 yards in Week 12 against the Packers.

Coleman’s touchdown was his only highlight. His downward trend on the ground continued, getting held under 40 yards for the fourth straight week. Coleman picked up some first downs late to close out the win, but this was another dud for in a matchup with a positive gameflow. Coleman is still the clear lead back in San Francisco, but his struggles could lead to a larger role for Matt Breida when he returns from an ankle injury.

Nov 24, 2019, 11:36 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread