What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home-owners...What are your current projects? (4 Viewers)

proninja said:
Getting quotes on a roof. I really want metal. Contractor cost = $30k. Material cost = $5k.

I really don't want to do this myself, but how can I not?
How many square feet? I helped out on a barn roof once & it wasn't difficult at all. It was essentially just screwing in screws all day.

My cousin just told me this weekend he had a roofer knock on his door saying a hail storm went through his neighborhood a while back, and his house could qualify for a new roof paid for by insurance.

He said he got on the roof and circled a bunch of little divots on his +15 yo roof. Sent pictures to insurance, and he is getting approval for a new roof.

Something worth looking into if you may need a new roof. He got a 17k check from insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished remodeling my entire first floor. New kitchen , inducing appliances and floors. Removed the old slate from the foyer and bath and put down new hardwood and sanded and stained all the floors on the first floor to match. Replaced all window trim and base with much fancier stuff. :bowtie:

Next project is a kids swing set. (Just tore down the old cedar one and I'm going super industrial this time around.

Next will be removing the deck ( I HATE decks) and putting in two large concrete patios.

My cousin just told me this weekend he had a roofer knock on his door saying a hail storm went through his neighborhood a while back, and his house could qualify for a new roof paid for by insurance.

He said he got on the roof and circled a bunch of little divots on his +15 yo roof. Sent pictures to insurance, and he is getting approval for a new roof.

Something worth looking into if you may need a new roof. He got a 17k check from insurance.
A friend of mine also had this very same thing happen to him.

We just had a massive hailstorm but my roof is already old. Not sure the insurance would go for it.

I put in a patio last year outside of my walkout basement. This year I want to cover it. Either a pergola or a roof. I have windows on the main level above the patio that limit the types of roofs I can do.

I need to replace the railings on my deck and I'd like to put stairs in from the deck to the patio.
Putting a pergola or roof over one of our patios is on my list. As is redoing the other slate patio that is about 50 years old and all coming apart.

The inside of our new house is mostly done, so my main projects are outdoors. That show yard crashers is amazing. Would love to eventually have a full outdoor kitchen and bar and a covered porch with ceiling fan, fireplace and a TV hung. With the nice weather starting around here in NY, time outside is start jrm to feel glorious.

Grace Under Pressure said:
Everything outside. New white vinyl exterior fence. Pool fence. Remove 10-12 trees. Open pool. Re-pave driveway. Backyard playground for 5 year old.

I might wait a year on the driveway.
Our driveway badly needs to be repaved with new blacktop, but I decided I didn't want to spend the money this year so we just had it resealed for $150. Soon we will need to have it completely redone, I'm thinking we'll do a cobblestone apron at the street entrance when we do.

Curious to see what you do for the playground. I have a 4yo and have been looking. We bought a playhouse online and I'll have to build that one of these weekends, but I don't think that is going to last very long. We will see

We just had a massive hailstorm but my roof is already old. Not sure the insurance would go for it.
I don't believe the insurance company can deny on that basis. You just need the adjuster to agree that there is enough hail damage to warrant a replacement vs. repair. And you have to pay your deductible of course.

Spent all weekend building a picnic table to go outside on the patio. It has two built in icebuckets to hold beer/ice, with removable lids, so I don't lose the table top space when not using the ice buckets.. I have one lid in, one lid off in the second picture.

Picture without the lids in, buckets not in either.

Picture with one lid in, one lid off and buckets inserted.

Just finished the first coat of staining. We have patio chairs right now, but I think I'm going to build some benches tonight to go with it. Overall was a fun weekend project.
Very cool.

Projects

- repair small leak in water line to house

- repair leak(s) in sprinkler system

- install more drainage for front walk to house

- install new front yard sod (not big)

- new ac unit for bedroom side of house

- need new yard tools - blower/vac, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer

- garage storage design and installation

Currently redoing built ins in living room to allow space for tv that is currently on the floor

Replace sprinkler back flow valve

Back patio extension with pergola

Front door

Kitchen countertops

Master bath counter tops and shower

Refinish all the wood

Either kill cats or put in cat door leading to garage.

Did the kitchen last summer....nothing going on now except the installation of 40+ yards of mulch. The first 10 came this AM. Gonna be a loooooooooooooooong few days.

Major renovation going on, started on Saturday:

• add a wall, converting joint formal living room/dining room into office and music room
  • rip out pantry and desk in kitchen, replace with cabinets and butlers pantry
  • new cabinets
  • new stove, including converting from electric to gas, also relocate stove
  • new dishwasher
  • new countertops
  • new backsplash in kitchen
  • new stove vent hood
  • convert closet near garage entry to mud-room type storage
  • replace carpet with hard wood
  • revise lighting
  • paint
We bought this house last year. It has everything we were looking for, but the finishes were just terrible...that's really he only reason we could afford the house in the first place. so now it's upgrade time.
studs of new wall are up, contractors came in and kicked ### on saturday getting that all done. electrician was scheduled for monday, drywall today. Well, the electrician's wife was diagnosed with breast cancer over the weekend so he skipped out on us, which is totally understandable. I happen to have an electrican buddy at the gym I go to, so we hired him. Well, he isn't the most reliable guy, which is why we didn't ask him in the first place, but we are kind of stuck at this point.

anyways, my buddy came over and knocked out some stuff last Friday to get ahead of the game, which was great. Yesterday, the critical time for him to get his stuff done, he never showed up. His guys showed up at 11:00AM and worked really hard until 4:00PM, but didn't get everything done and some stuff isn't exactly right.

So, now my buddy is at my house trying to finish all of his stuff while the dry-wall guys are doing their thing. What a pain in the butt. That's why I didn't really want to hire someone I know for this - it gets awkward when things don't go perfectly.

Looking at buying an older house that is going to need a ton of renovations. The hydro bills on it are ridiculous so I'll need to re-insulate the place. I'd reside the whole place so would rigid Styrofoam on the outside be the best / most efficient method? Not planning on taking down the interior walls so I'm hoping that would be enough for walls. Will also be blowing insulation into the attic.

Spent all weekend building a picnic table to go outside on the patio. It has two built in icebuckets to hold beer/ice, with removable lids, so I don't lose the table top space when not using the ice buckets.. I have one lid in, one lid off in the second picture.

Just finished the first coat of staining. We have patio chairs right now, but I think I'm going to build some benches tonight to go with it. Overall was a fun weekend project.
Very cool.

Looking at buying an older house that is going to need a ton of renovations. The hydro bills on it are ridiculous so I'll need to re-insulate the place. I'd reside the whole place so would rigid Styrofoam on the outside be the best / most efficient method? Not planning on taking down the interior walls so I'm hoping that would be enough for walls. Will also be blowing insulation into the attic.
Did something similar on my house but with rigid rockwool. Nice improcement in energy efficiency.

Getting new windows also helped

Did something similar on my house but with rigid rockwool. Nice improcement in energy efficiency.

That looks like it is installed from the inside, no? I don't want to have to rip all the drywall out.

That looks like it is installed from the inside, no? I don't want to have to rip all the drywall out.
They can blow insulation into your walls without taking all the drywall down....they cut holes in the top, (middle/bottom if necessary).

Insurance will pay you a portion based on age. Mine was probably 25 years old and they paid well over half of it.

Very cool.
Can we get a how-to, or plans?

Insurance will pay you a portion based on age. Mine was probably 25 years old and they paid well over half of it.
What are the long term repercussions of making a claim? We had a pipe burst about 9 years ago and insurance covered it.

-Need a new front door, complete re-framing

-Build a porch for said front door

-Replace the set of two patio double doors

-Replace wood rotted trim on the exterior of several windows

-Landscape the area where we just had a large tree removed

-Remodel the basement, removing a gas fireplace, changing some walls around to give more usable space

-Open up the dummy dormer windows over the garage to let in more natural light into the master walk in closets.

-Create a third floor laundry and convert the first floor laundry into a mud room.

Any tips for keeping the house cool(er) during the hot months? With the recent 80 degree days we've had it gets very warm and I hate turning on the A/C before memorial day, but I also can't sleep when it's 75+ in the bedroom.

In the attic I've tripled the amount of insulation (up to R-45ish now), installed continuous soffit air channels with a ridge vent, and even installed a "radiant barrier" to deflect radiant heat. On the sliding glass door out to the patio (south easterly facing) I installed a layer of "window tint" (has actually worked well), and plan to do a few more windows in the coming weeks before the "dog days". Any other ideas?

Mattyl reminds me of something that I see more and more of regarding attic insulation.....

Do NOT block the open areas at the lower pitch of your roof. If you stand up in your attic and look down at the lower soffit areas, you should be able see some daylight. That's normal.

Your attic is supposed to breath. You want the attic to be close to the temperature of outside. It's your house you want to insulate, not the attic!

Blocking the ventilation will cook your shingles in the summer months and in the winter, your heat will rise into the attic, mix with the cold air and great condensation. Condensation leaks to mold on your roof sheathing. Mold on your roof sheathing will lead to a crazy expensive roof replacement , mold remediation or both.

Mattyl reminds me of something that I see more and more of regarding attic insulation.....

Do NOT block the open areas at the lower pitch of your roof. If you stand up in your attic and look down at the lower soffit areas, you should be able see some daylight. That's normal.

Your attic is supposed to breath. You want the attic to be close to the temperature of outside. It's your house you want to insulate, not the attic!

Blocking the ventilation will cook your shingles in the summer months and in the winter, your heat will rise into the attic, mix with the cold air and great condensation. Condensation leaks to mold on your roof sheathing. Mold on your roof sheathing will lead to a crazy expensive roof replacement , mold remediation or both.
Agree with you 100%. Have one of these between each rafter in the attic to allow air to flow from the soffit vents (something similar to that, was installed on home prior). Then I stapled the radiant barrier to the underside of the rafters. The ridge vent is maybe 4" wide, and goes the entire length of the house, minus maybe 3 feet or so on each end (simple gable roof). After verifying that the attic can breath I added additional insulation.

Any tips for keeping the house cool(er) during the hot months? With the recent 80 degree days we've had it gets very warm and I hate turning on the A/C before memorial day, but I also can't sleep when it's 75+ in the bedroom.

In the attic I've tripled the amount of insulation (up to R-45ish now), installed continuous soffit air channels with a ridge vent, and even installed a "radiant barrier" to deflect radiant heat. On the sliding glass door out to the patio (south easterly facing) I installed a layer of "window tint" (has actually worked well), and plan to do a few more windows in the coming weeks before the "dog days". Any other ideas?
Ceiling fans

Ceiling fans
Yeah, looking to add more. There are only 3 in the entire house - master bedroom, formal living, and kitchen/great room area. Really though, all they do is move air, not prevent it from getting warm in the first place.

Ceiling fans
Yeah, looking to add more. There are only 3 in the entire house - master bedroom, formal living, and kitchen/great room area. Really though, all they do is move air, not prevent it from getting warm in the first place.
The breeze will trick your body into thinking it is cooler than it is.

Ceiling fans
Little tip...if you can steer the mrs to Hunter, they are, BY FAR the simplest to install. It's essentially a few screws and wire connections. I've run into fans that greatly over complicate the installation.

Ceiling fans
Is this a Dentist alias? Just turn the ac on cheapo.

Ceiling fans
Little tip...if you can steer the mrs to Hunter, they are, BY FAR the simplest to install. It's essentially a few screws and wire connections. I've run into fans that greatly over complicate the installation.
I'm going to have to install the box to connect it to as well - and wire it back to the switch - in all 3 non-master bedrooms. The ceilings in all 3 of those rooms are void of any outlet boxes or lights....

Ceiling fans
Is this a Dentist alias? Just turn the ac on cheapo.
I try to be green.

Ceiling fans
I'm going to have to install the box to connect it to as well - and wire it back to the switch - in all 3 non-master bedrooms. The ceilings in all 3 of those rooms are void of any outlet boxes or lights....
They have brackets that span the joists. You'll want to pick up some if there isn't a joist to attach to.

The search function sucks so this might be as good as any thread.

Need some advice on my backyard. I have two large dogs and my backyard has a trail right behind it used by a lot of walkers/bike riders. The dogs tear up everything chasing those people on the other side of the fence. I also live in a hot part of California so I'm battling A) sun year round and B) water restrictions are certainly going to come into effect very soon and in a very drastic way.

Needless to say, my yard looks like ####. I already redid the sod once and that was a complete waste.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to get to have a decent looking yard? Was thinking artificial grass but I don't know how dog friendly that stuff is (and does it get too hot for them). I also read the coloring warranty is really bad and after 4/5 years begins to fade.

I tried adding plants to my back fence but my dogs tore them up and I enjoy my view of the hillside.

I especially don't want to add sod now right before summer. I'm at a point where I feel like my only option is to 2x or 3x the size of my patio and minimize the grass. That won't be cheap but will reduce my water usage and look "better" than the dirt field I have.

Take your dogs for walks and never let them in the backyard. That's really your only option. I have almost an acre fenced in and you can see the trail where the dogs walk.

Very cool.
Can we get a how-to, or plans?
Finished the table all together. Plan was to use the table for my dad's graduation party we were hosting this weekend. Wife decided she wanted me to build some benches too, to allow 6 people to sit at the table as well as the increased overall seating as it freed the patio chairs up as well.

Built two benches, pre-stained the inside of the boards, then after putting them all together my nephew accidentally kicked over the can of stain in my garage. Ran out to Lowe's and of course, they're out of the matching color, the other relatively close Lowe's doesn't even carry it. So for the party we still used the benches, they just weren't stained. The table was a big hit, and having the coolers full of beer and ice outside was amazing to keep people from having to constantly in and out of the house. A few pictures after it was finished being sealed and with the unstained benches on the patio:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2qi93s7.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/az7zbm.jpg

Otis - I followed this guide, with a few small modifications. My table is higher and the legs are supported a bit differently then they have there. I liked the taller table.

I just finished re-siding the front of my house. Bought primed clapboard and painted one coat before affixing to the house. Of course, had to rip off all the old stuff first. Still have to caulk and apply a 2nd coat before I can call it finished.

Users who are viewing this thread