What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (10 Viewers)

Been trying to still slowly go back through the decade.  I want to one day do a thread of my top 50 of the 2nd half of the last decade but I feel like I am too far behind to try it now.  Last week I attacked my 2015 list and watched Bridge of Spies and The Big Short.   I liked both, but not sure if either would vault up the list for the countdown.    I am torn about taking the rest of the pile to the library.  With all that's going on, I will have more time, but I feel like I should take them back.  Off the top of my head I have:  Creed, Diary of a Teenage Girl, Carol, Room, Brooklyn, and Straight Outta Compton to return.  Pretty sure none were streaming which is why I got them from the library.   

I think the better option is probably to make a bigger list of the movies I want to tackle between 2015-2019 and see what IS streaming and go from there, then fill in the gaps via the library later.   

(prepare for a rant post about how the streaming services suck for movies soon as I go through my list....) ;)

I also rewatched  Lady Bird again a couple days ago and it made me fall more in love with that movie.  

With all the movies delaying their releases... F9, No time to die, Quiet Place, Mulan to name a few, and many others stopping production the "newly released" movies are going to be far and inbetween for quite some time. Good site that has the latest news

Guess we all will have plenty of time now to catch up on movies released in the last couple years that we didn't have time for before.. :mellow:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont usually ask for these movies, but we are also kicking stuff around in the club thread.  

What recs do you have that are streaming for just fun, take your mind off stuff movies.  Qualifier: you have to legit think they are good, and be willing to go to bat for them.   I am looking through stuff now.  
I mentioned them in Sheik's thread but I really liked Identity and Frequency.  I don't seem to see anybody ever talk about them so they seem to be lesser known.  Identity has an interesting twist. 

Using this time to catch-up on foreign movies.

1. Come and See (84)- this made me feel better about Coronavirus coming to Michigan. Seeing what it was like for a 13 year old boy in a village in Belarus when the NAZIs came to burn them all (village and people) to the ground was as difficult as it sounds. This is on par with The Killing Fields or Schindlers List for it's level of soul crushing horror
  2. The Passion of Anna (69)- someday someone is going to have to explain to me this whole Ingmar Bergman thing because I don't get his movies. Shocking me, it also had some horrible things in common with Come and See that I did not expect
  3. La Dolce Vita (60) just starting it, martini is poured. I think this is going to be fun and I really hope it doesn't gut punch me with NAZIs or torturing of animals, etc. 
backinaday, a girl told me to read Kierkegaard and i would understand Bergman better. forty hours wasted and the only greater connection to Scandinavian culture i developed was to Munch's Scream.

Watched Knives Out with the kids a couple weeks ago. 12 floppinho loved it, 8yo floppinha found it boring (somebody here mentioned the pace). I liked it.

Watched Clue last night with them. They both loved it. I hadn't seen it since the theaters as a teenager...it's hokey, and built on common humor cliches from the time (1985), but it's a good comedic cast (mostly sit-com tv actors) who have fun with it. Floppinha compared the two and thought clue had more action..it definitely jumps right into things and keeps going at a brisk clip without any filler.

Any recs for more fun/who-dunnits?

Watched Knives Out with the kids a couple weeks ago. 12 floppinho loved it, 8yo floppinha found it boring (somebody here mentioned the pace). I liked it.

Watched Clue last night with them. They both loved it. I hadn't seen it since the theaters as a teenager...it's hokey, and built on common humor cliches from the time (1985), but it's a good comedic cast (mostly sit-com tv actors) who have fun with it. Floppinha compared the two and thought clue had more action..it definitely jumps right into things and keeps going at a brisk clip without any filler.

Isn't the newer Murder on the Orient Express Pg-13?  I think I saw that one streaming somewhere too.  

I think the original Murder on the Orient Express is streaming on Prime.

This movie will blow you away and it has Scarlett Johansson's first nude scene so that makes it an instant classic.

-----------------------

Under the Skin (2013)  -  A mysterious young woman seduces lonely men in the evening hours in Scotland. However, events lead her to begin a process of self-discovery.

-----------------------

The 'beach scene' is one of the most unique/original/disturbing I've ever seen in a movie. 

The musical score is haunting.

The filming story is interesting on how they used guerrilla tactics with a van hooked up with multiple cameras/audio equipment with Johansson in disguise, in a van driving around Scotland picking up guys who had no idea they were being filmed should be intriguing enough to overcome the 'heavy' Scottish brogue which is almost indecipherable at times.  

This movie has not gotten enough play, it is incredible and a must watch.

The Trouble With Harry

Witness For The Prosecution

Maybe the Peter Sellers Pink Panther movies?

This movie will blow you away and it has Scarlett Johansson's first nude scene so that makes it an instant classic.

-----------------------

Under the Skin (2013)  -  A mysterious young woman seduces lonely men in the evening hours in Scotland. However, events lead her to begin a process of self-discovery.

-----------------------

The 'beach scene' is one of the most unique/original/disturbing I've ever seen in a movie. 

The musical score is haunting.

The filming story is interesting on how they used guerrilla tactics with a van hooked up with multiple cameras/audio equipment with Johansson in disguise, in a van driving around Scotland picking up guys who had no idea they were being filmed should be intriguing enough to overcome the 'heavy' Scottish brogue which is almost indecipherable at times.  

This movie has not gotten enough play, it is incredible and a must watch.
Very nice. It’s been on my watch list for awhile, I’m bumping it up. 

Ilov80s said:
Very nice. It’s been on my watch list for awhile, I’m bumping it up. 
DUDE.  Put it to the  top.

If you love movies,  if you love sci-fi.  If you love brilliant film making...   Honestly believe it will find its audience over time and get the credit it deserves.  Some will not get it and hate it, fine go watch something more  along your taste like Ernest Goes to Camp this is a level up from anything I've seen in decades.

Some reviews from IMDB:  Cutting out spoilers so snippets.

----------------------------------------

• I believe Under the Skin to be one of the best Science Fiction films I've seen- and I've seen quite a few.    
  • a groundbreaking film that redefines Form...  "Under The Skin" is unique among films in content and scope. The cinematography is out-of-this-world, breathtaking, and the musical score is sublime. I rarely use the word "masterpiece" to describe a movie. But Jonathan Glazer's "Under The Skin" is art in the highest sense, like Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa", or Vincent Van Gogh's "The Starry Night".  The film requires you to watch in a different way than you normally watch films. It requires you to experience strange and beautiful images
  • This film is difficult to describe. It is dark, atmospheric, unsettling, terrifying but utterly captivating. It's tone reminded me of 2001, although it's even more sparse than that. But that is as good a reference point as any to get a sense of this film, and it's that good. Scarlet Johansson is wonderful. The score is perfect and it's stunningly shot.
  • From the beginning shot of this film depicting lights and eclipses, we will already see that this will not be just another run-of-the-mill motion picture. When we see a nude Scarlett Johansson for the first time in that
Goes on and on.  You'll have  to watch it twice, its that good and complex.  It will challenge you.

Lol at if you don't like under the skin equating to not getting it.

I appreciated the approach and visuals. Didn't know about the guerilla film making aspect, which could explain why the plot was weak enough ultimately for me to not enjoy it. 

The plot did make me think of the movie Liquid Sky, which I liked back when I saw it in the theaters.

Ah, AMC A List, thank you but good bye (for now)  

My wife and I signed up about a year ago and we took full advantage. Gotta go back and check but I think we went to upwards of 50 movies in this last year. We were also very fortunate that it was a fantastic year for movies. 

Some hidden gems worth checking out:

The Art of Self Defense, Brightburn, Rocketman, The Dead Don’t Die, Yesterday, Doctor Sleep, Crawl, Peanut Butter Falcon, Ready or Not, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood   

I appreciated the approach and visuals. Didn't know about the guerilla film making aspect, which could explain why the plot was weak enough ultimately for me to not enjoy it. 

The plot did make me think of the movie Liquid Sky, which I liked back when I saw it in the theaters.
You don't get it if you think the plot was weak.  You HONESTLY do not get the plot.

Spoiler alert,  do not watch if you have not seen the Movie Under the Skin.

One of the top rated YouTube movie reviewers opens a 12 minute video just on this movie saying it was his most requested for an in-depth breakdown of the plot.

If you think the plot is weak then you don't get it but I'd love to hear your version of the plot because I discovered a few things that Stuckman missed in his in-depth breakdown.

Under the Skin EXPLAINED - Movie Review (SPOILERS)

"When it comes to viewer requests for  specific videos I currently cannot think of ONE that I've received more than an analyzed view of Under the Skin."

Murder by Death

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074937/

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/murder-by-death

The plot is a broad parody or spoof of the traditional country-house whodunit, familiar to mystery fiction fans of classics such as Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. The cast is an ensemble of British and American actors playing send-ups of well-known fictional sleuths, including Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Charlie Chan, Nick and Nora Charles, and Sam Spade. It also features a rare acting performance by author Truman Capote.

I have seen it twice and think it is good, but Bracie is way oversellIng it IMO

JoeSteeler said:
I have seen it twice and think it is good, but Bracie is way oversellIng it IMO
The movie is well under the radar so it needs to be oversold.

Anyone saying it lacked plot did not get it which not a shot but Liquid Sky makes Plan 9 look like the best movie of all-time comparatively.  

Nostalgic memories don't make a steaming pile like Liquid Sky better.  That was terrible at the time and is worse today. 

Knives Out - Liked it

I even went in with a bad attitude about it, didn't really want to watch it. Liked it anyway.

This movie is okay (the lead actress is gorgeous), but it suffers from a massive massive flaw in that (spoiler alert!) the guy would know INSTANTLY if he was given that much more morphine ("the good stuff") than his usual dose.  It turns out he didn't get it anyway, and that was the "twist", but it's a dumb twist because it would be obvious within seconds if what she thought happened did and he wouldn't be able to do any of the stuff he did.  It was a pretty fun movie regardless.

I tried to watch Liquid Sky.  Lost minutes that could have been better used naval gazing or watching paint dry.
I saw it in the theaters when it came out... I was 13 or so. I enjoyed it back then... IIRC, boobs/sex and the music/vibe... even though I remember it being slight and silly and low-budget. haven't seen it since.  

but since I didn't get the plot, I must be wrong about a succubus alien luring men with sex being similar.

Give me an action or sci-fi movie that I should watch on either Netflix or Amazon Prime tonight.

I watched A Quiet Place last night and thought it was good.

Give me an action or sci-fi movie that I should watch on either Netflix or Amazon Prime tonight.

Ex Machina is on NF.   IMO one of the best sci-fis in the last decade or so.   More talk heavy than action though.    Pretty sure Blade Runner and Inception are on NF too.  

I've heard Under the Skin is the #### too.  ;)   Action I am not much help with.  

I don't remember much about it, but isn't the Soderbergh action movie Haywire on NF?  If you haven't seen it, Inception would fit both action and sci-fi too.  

The one I always try to get people to watch is The Raid: Redemption.  Don't think it's on streaming though, besides a rental on Amazon.  

Search said these are currently streaming on Netflix:

Hell or High Water (2016)

The Dark Knight (2008)

Goodfellas (1990)

Blow (2001)

City of God (2002)

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Incredibles 2 (2018)

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010)

More of a thriller that is stream in Netflix but very good.

Zodiac (2007)

Not  on Netflix but good action flicks I saw recently that I liked more than I thought I would.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

The Town (2010)

The Shop on Main Street- 1964 Czech film that won Best Foreign Film at the Oscars. Just an incredible movie that like Parasite starts as a comedy and drastically shifts in tone towards the end. The essential plot is a bumbling but honest Slovakian loser befriends an elderly Jewish woman who is oblivious to the creeping NAZI threat. I don’t know how this movie doesn’t have a bigger reputation. 

The Shop on Main Street- 1964 Czech film that won Best Foreign Film at the Oscars. Just an incredible movie that like Parasite starts as a comedy and drastically shifts in tone towards the end. The essential plot is a bumbling but honest Slovakian loser befriends an elderly Jewish woman who is oblivious to the creeping NAZI threat. I don’t know how this movie doesn’t have a bigger reputation. 
Dot. Sounds great...streaming?

I’ve pumped it around here for years.  I’m glad to have another member of the team now.

Ilov80s said:
Any other Czech recommendations? The only other film I think I’ve seen was Closely Watched Trains which was also excellent.
I was going to recommend Stroszek, looked it up to add a link, and never realized it was Herzog!? 

So...not Czech. But worth the watch if you haven't seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread