What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

Yep.

The last couple races where I wore music, I yanked it out after 2 miles and just shoved it in my pocket.  I needed to listen to myself to focus and get a feel for how I was doing. 

Then, I started getting annoyed fiddling with it under a hat or just in general and found myself pulling them out during regular runs.  Finally gave up and gave it a shot without and I've found that I enjoy the runs more and don't feel distracted (is my earbud slipping, do I want to listen to this song now, should I keep one out so I can hear stuff around me, etc.). 
I get that, but if I listen to myself, my brain is saying "WTF are you doing?  Just stop, go get a beer.  Gawd you are so stupid, just quit.  You know deep down you are a lazy piece of ####.  This isnt worth it"

MAC_32 said:
Oh, I get it.  It's probably weird to everyone else, but I physically carry my phone.  It was weird at first, but I actually adapted to it kinda fast.  Maybe it's been fixed in recent years, but the arm bands they used to sell are too small for new phones.  So when I got a new one I started carrying and it's become the habit ever since.  So when I'm done listening to music I just yank out the earbuds and stuff them in my pocket.

But all of that would be drastically different if I were a watch runner and/or had my phone in an arm band.
FlipBelt, FTW.

I'll assume many have the same circumstances, but if I take one route, I'll hit ~11'/mile elevation. Super flat, this includes the Greenway and bike / running path by my house. 

But if I want to hit hills, they're there, I just have to actively seek them out. There's one "mountain" a couple miles from the office which is fun, but the road is gravel which makes going downhill fast a different experience. 
I'm less than 10 miles from the lake, but more than 400' up.  And 3 miles SW of me is another 250' up.  I'd guess > 90% of my routes are on at least some tilt.  Then there's obviously hills I can seek out - or accidentally get directed to because of traffic blow.

The closest thing to flat I can get is the all purpose trail at a park a few miles away, which is what I try to use for my longer goal pace runs amidst marathon training.  There's still some tilt the whole way, but it's less than 1-2% most of the time.

I'm less than 10 miles from the lake, but more than 400' up.  And 3 miles SW of me is another 250' up.  I'd guess > 90% of my routes are on at least some tilt.  Then there's obviously hills I can seek out - or accidentally get directed to because of traffic blow.

The closest thing to flat I can get is the all purpose trail at a park a few miles away, which is what I try to use for my longer goal pace runs amidst marathon training.  There's still some tilt the whole way, but it's less than 1-2% most of the time.
:oldunsure:

I've been running the last couple months without music and I'm really enjoying it.  I don't even have to bother with headphones or if music stops or anything.  Just enjoying the outside and listening to my breathing, etc.  Not sure I'll go back.
This whole discussion yesterday got me thinking about music and running. Went out last night and had another run where I just couldn't get comfortable with my breathing. Decided after about 7 miles to just turn off the music and just work on breathing. 

Seemed to work. Going to test this out over the next few weeks to see if I can dial in my breathing a little better. Like I mentioned before, this is the first year I've really listened to music during runs, and maybe that's one of the reasons I can't seem to feel 100% comfortable during a run. We'll see. 

I like to think I'm if anything too comfortable in my own skin, but then someone says the words fanny and pack and I realize there will always be a line I won't cross.
It is NOT a fanny pack nor does it look anything like one.  In fact, most of the time you can't even tell you have it on even if it's visible as it just looks like part of your pants (and usually it's under a shirt anyway). 

You can throw a phone in it (you), your keys ( @tri-man 47), your broken earbuds ( @Juxtatarot), or your knob sock ( @ChiefD) and it leaves your hands free.  The only ones that it would look silly on are @gruecd and @JShare87 since they usually run naked it seems.

This whole discussion yesterday got me thinking about music and running. Went out last night and had another run where I just couldn't get comfortable with my breathing. Decided after about 7 miles to just turn off the music and just work on breathing. 

Seemed to work. Going to test this out over the next few weeks to see if I can dial in my breathing a little better. Like I mentioned before, this is the first year I've really listened to music during runs, and maybe that's one of the reasons I can't seem to feel 100% comfortable during a run. We'll see. 
wanna have fun with your breathing?  Take a caffeine pill 15 minutes into a run.

I used to take these regularly, but now really only take them for really long sessions, like 3+ hours.  I find they are a good pick-me-up when im bored outta my mind and trying to find energy to focus.

wanna have fun with your breathing?  Take a caffeine pill 15 minutes into a run.

I used to take these regularly, but now really only take them for really long sessions, like 3+ hours.  I find they are a good pick-me-up when im bored outta my mind and trying to find energy to focus.
Oh, that takes me back.  Caffeine pill popping was a staple of 4x800 prep.  I'm sure it was a placebo effect, but I couldn't ever get below 2:06 without it.  But with it?  We're not sure if I broke 2 flat or not, but I'm going to take the under without any shame whatsoever.  So - thank you, caffeine pills.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
:cry:

I should be double that by now, but this GD obsession with marathon training has me in the mountains less and less.  

The sane part of me just says drop the marathon training and go back to what I like.  But the OCD Zasada must address this marathon deficiency before moving-on.

Even today I'm having an internal struggle:  Tomorrow morning I can run my prescribed easy 10K tomorrow on streets, keeping with the plan, or say "#### it" and go climb Prairie Mountain.  

Part of me is considering "both" but then am I overtraining before my long run on Sunday?

:cry:

Had my 4th PT session on my hamstring - good news is it seems to be getting a little better - bad news is at the end when they really dig in while doing the massage part it is still really sore.  I'm wondering if this was worse than they originally thought.  Almost four months now and 2.5 with no jogging/running.  Really frustrated.  On the bright side it's rained for a like 8 straight days and more coming so I've been able to avoid that.  I have a camping trip next weekend that I was targeting to be 100% but looks like that's not in the cards.  :kicksrock:

15 on tap for tomorrow.  First five at 725-730, next five at 710-715, and last five at 640-650.  Freezing rain means yet another indoor run.

Do I (a) go run 55 laps at the Pettit and obsess about running each lap within a 2- or 3-second permissible range, or (b) do 3 x 5 miles on the dreadmill and just try to zone out to some good music or podcasts or something?

15 on tap for tomorrow.  First five at 725-730, next five at 710-715, and last five at 640-650.  Freezing rain means yet another indoor run.

Do I (a) go run 55 laps at the Pettit and obsess about running each lap within a 2- or 3-second permissible range, or (b) do 3 x 5 miles on the dreadmill and just try to zone out to some good music or podcasts or something?
Have your wife drive you 15 miles west on Sunday then tell you to run home.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/wi/milwaukee/date/2019-02-24?cm_ven=localwx_hour

I'm going to run in the rain.  Looks like yours will be a little heavier than mine but still not bad.  (Heaviest hour 9:00-10:00 at .06 inch.) With temps above 30, gotta take advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd start the run at 6 AM outside and put some bandaids on the nips just in case of rain.

To be fair, it should be calculated as elevation per mile to get a better representation.  Reordered from lowest to highest

@JShare87 -- 1201/273.1 miles = 4.4 ft/mile (still :lmao: )

@Juxtatarot -- 5348/471 miles = 11.3 ft/mile

@gruecd -- 5558/423.9 miles = 13.1 ft/mile

@pbm107 -- 8402/286.5 miles = 29.3 ft/mile

@MAC_32 -- 8491/254.2 miles = 33.4 ft/mile

@ChiefD -- 15459/344.3 miles = 44.9/mile

@gianmarco -- 7260/158.2 miles = 45.9 ft/mile

@Zasada -- 19888/237.6 miles = 83.7 ft/mile

@SFBayDuck -- 40948/296.1 = 138.3/mile (another :lmao: )

ETA -- Duck has more ft/mile than the first 6 of you COMBINED.

Should include some more

@SteelCurtain -- 12133/412.2 = 29.4 ft/mile

@bushdocda -- 5492/226 = 24.3 ft/mile

@JAA -- 2224/107.7 = 20.6 ft/mile

@-OZ- -- 5364/208.8 = 25.7 ft/mile
That's pretty cool to see.  And I haven't been chasing hills yet this year.  In fact last weekend I drove 30 minutes for my long run to a "flatter" route than what I have nearby.  My race next weekend isn't the hilliest 50K out there at under 5K', other than my nemesis Goat Hill at around the 25 mile mark which is a 20% grade for 1/4 mile.  That one sucks.

My next race isn't too bad but is a little hillier with 11K' gain over 62 miles, so I'll start mixing in more dedicated climbing and downhill workouts.  Then come the two mountain races on the schedule in the summer and fall, so things will start getting real serious.

The bad part about living next to a greenway, when that Greenway is your preferred route, is it floods. 

It's going to be in the high 50s, low 60s, tomorrow morning, but thunderstorms. So I'm probably going to ride the trainer and sweat my ### off.  I don't mind rain, I'm not so big on lightning. 

Should stop raining Sunday, so that will be a good day to be back outside.

I have no idea what I did to my left leg, but it put the hurting on today.   My left ankle that has been bothering me as of late and was achy during the end of Wednesday's run, but has been feeling great since that run.  I'm not sure if the rest of the leg has been compensating, but the knee area and lower quad started feeling every stride today.  I thought it just needed to get warmed up.  I was wrong.  Had to walk home once I was about 3 miles out.  That never happens. 

Walking was very mild pain.  Got home, took ibuprofen and a hot bath.  Leg feels fine now and is fine to all stretches.  weird. 

I'm doing a lot of hiking next week, so I think I will shut down running until I'm 100% on this.  

I'll assume many have the same circumstances, but if I take one route, I'll hit ~11'/mile elevation. Super flat, this includes the Greenway and bike / running path by my house. 

But if I want to hit hills, they're there, I just have to actively seek them out. There's one "mountain" a couple miles from the office which is fun, but the road is gravel which makes going downhill fast a different experience. 
I'm in central Indiana... I have to try really hard to find/run hills now, which is kind of ok to me for now. I grew up in southern Indiana, which had plenty of hills. Coach made us run them often. I know it helped but old man me likes being in flat territory...

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Have your wife drive you 15 miles west on Sunday then tell you to run home.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/wi/milwaukee/date/2019-02-24?cm_ven=localwx_hour
Weird - west winds two hours north, but Chicago is slated for a steady east wind.  My wife is heading to the 'burbs in the morning and offered the western suburbs drop-off, but that would have me running into the wind the whole way.  :kicksrock:    I'll probably do a 12-14 miler from home, heading E/NE into the city and getting the tailwind for the return.  

Gian, I like to imagine you as French and pronounce it gee-ahn'.  But the French suck, right?  So I should stick with "John."  We'll come up with a good nick-name in June.  And those flipbelts look appealing.  I liked both the red and violet models.  When I zoomed in, they both had nice features.

@Brony - ugh!  If we catch a spring race with @Juxtatarot (Air-reek'), maybe I should just bring a hacksaw and we'll cut your legs off.  They're not serving you very well.  

Pulled put the foam roller tonight. My 11 year old son wanted to take a try. Showed him how to roll his IT band.

I think I made him cry. 

:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure I need to toss my scale. 

When I first got it, it had me at 182lbs (accurate) and 22% body fat (fairly sure that's off), 34% muscle (no idea if that's right) then it put me at 175 lbs, 45% body fat, -13% muscle. now it has me at 167 lbs, 19% body fat, 33% muscle. Pretty sure I didn't lose 15 lbs in the last month - or ten in the last week (178 last week). I kind of get that the fat and muscle % can be off, but this is practically worthless.

I'm pretty sure I need to toss my scale. 

When I first got it, it had me at 182lbs (accurate) and 22% body fat (fairly sure that's off), 34% muscle (no idea if that's right) then it put me at 175 lbs, 45% body fat, -13% muscle. now it has me at 167 lbs, 19% body fat, 33% muscle. Pretty sure I didn't lose 15 lbs in the last month - or ten in the last week (178 last week). I kind of get that the fat and muscle % can be off, but this is practically worthless.
Sounds about right. Why do you think it’s off?

Users who are viewing this thread