What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (17 Viewers)

Wife and I leave on Friday morning for our long weekend.  It'll be nice to get outside for a couple of runs in Cali...

The next 5 days have three runs of 8-9 miles and a couple of rest days.  I've run over 145 miles in the last 15 days with no rest days.

Wife and I leave on Friday morning for our long weekend.  It'll be nice to get outside for a couple of runs in Cali...

The next 5 days have three runs of 8-9 miles and a couple of rest days.  I've run over 145 miles in the last 15 days with no rest days.
Take a picture of the sun and post it. Forgot what it looks like.

As luck would have it, it's supposed to be rainy and cool in Cali this weekend, too...  :wall:
The big storm just rolled through, wind and rain until about 3:00 last night and flooding all over the place today (pictures 7 and 8 are about 3 miles from my place). A couple of towns up in Sonoma are completely shut off from the outside, surrounded by flood waters. Parts of the trails were basically creeks on my run this morning. Looks like we get a break now until Saturday some time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Me?  I'll play schedule gymnastics to wedge in a workout.  I won't for an easy run though.  So I'd do #1 or #2.  If you wake up feeling strong Friday then bang out some easy miles.  If your body is asking for the rest day then take it.  And if your body is asking for a rest day I'd think waking up at 4 am the next day would be counter productive.  Sufficient rest > an easy 10K.
@Zasada, I agree with the "listen to your body" approach.  Do the hike, because you know you've been missing being in the mountains.  And while your coach is right in that you don't want to be replacing a bunch of your easy runs with hikes, doing so once in awhile isn't going to derail your training physically, and may actually benefit you mentally.

Do the hike, because you know you've been missing being in the mountains.
Yeah there was no case where I'm giving-up this weekend's hike.  For mental reasons more than anything (as you note).  

I'll plan for the 10K on Friday.  

Thanks for the advice, guys!

i've checked my email just about every minute... waiting to win the NYC lottery. Running for my Pop with ALS of GNY.  
Check your credit card too as that supposedly will show pending before the email. I’m crickets so far, though and will probably make some rash race signups to make up for it. 

And now I see it’s officially on my NYRR account it’s a no luck this year. 

Glad to see everyone in here doing well. I try and check every day but forget sometimes. I am supposed to run my marathon on Sunday. However, I got really sick last week and tried to run but was unable to. Finally got out Saturday and ran 7 miles before a local 5K race. I didn’t put much effort into it because I was still sick. After the race, my tibial tendinitis flared up to the point where I am still in pain when walking. So, I haven’t ran since Saturday. I am sure my fitness has suffered greatly. About 90% sure I am going to defer my registration to next year. There’s still that 10% of me that wants to run, but my body is not doing good.

The Sciatica is something I deal with on every run and on a daily basis when I’m not running. I think that is leading to overcompensation and all of my lower leg issues. I get to that 8 mile mark and my lower body feels like I have just ran a marathon. Not sure where to go from here, but my wife sure has been happy since I stopped running. I didn’t notice it, but my mood has been much better and I feel great because of the extra sleep. Keep up the good work, fellas!

Glad to see everyone in here doing well. I try and check every day but forget sometimes. I am supposed to run my marathon on Sunday. However, I got really sick last week and tried to run but was unable to. Finally got out Saturday and ran 7 miles before a local 5K race. I didn’t put much effort into it because I was still sick. After the race, my tibial tendinitis flared up to the point where I am still in pain when walking. So, I haven’t ran since Saturday. I am sure my fitness has suffered greatly. About 90% sure I am going to defer my registration to next year. There’s still that 10% of me that wants to run, but my body is not doing good.

The Sciatica is something I deal with on every run and on a daily basis when I’m not running. I think that is leading to overcompensation and all of my lower leg issues. I get to that 8 mile mark and my lower body feels like I have just ran a marathon. Not sure where to go from here, but my wife sure has been happy since I stopped running. I didn’t notice it, but my mood has been much better and I feel great because of the extra sleep. Keep up the good work, fellas!
You will always be our BMF for what you did this time last year.  To do what you in that race with just 350 training miles.  It boggles the mind.  And I get that you weren't 100% then, but based on what you've written about your health and the mileage (both quality and quantity) logged from a thousand miles away it reads like you're in a much worse place this year.  

Defer it and get healthy, man.

Check your credit card too as that supposedly will show pending before the email. I’m crickets so far, though and will probably make some rash race signups to make up for it. 

And now I see it’s officially on my NYRR account it’s a no luck this year. 
No lottery for me as well. 

I’ll still be running it, just taking one of the ALS spots.  I’d hoped to get in via lottery to allow one more person to raise more money. 

Haven't been checking in much as we've been on our trip. Some great miles you guys are putting up, though. Such a motivating group.

We got here on Sunday evening a little later than expected thanks to a blizzard in western Kansas that made us stop 2 hours early on Saturday during our drive (thanks, @ChiefD).

We are all new skiers so this has been interesting. I will say that this elevation here is no ####### joke. We've all had near a constant headache since arriving. By 4pm on Monday and Tuesday with skiing and we were just completely wiped. And having a hard time sleeping here with what felt like 2 of the longest nights I've ever tried to sleep through. Needless to say, I currently feel less than ideal. 

But, as today was an off day for skiing (did tubing and other stuff instead), I figured today would be the best day to try and get a run in. It's like 4pm and I'm already exhausted but forced myself to get out.

Holy ####### ####. That was the hardest 2 miles I've ever run. Not even a minute in and I just can't catch my breath. It felt like the end of a 5k. Except I was barely running. On the way back, I kept trying to go faster to just get it over with and then realized I'm about to pass out if I try that. Long story short -- I'm a big wuss that needs more oxygen to run.

Anyway, one more day here then we get to drive back. I'm ready to stop taking ibuprofen regularly. 

My plan is to run miles somewhere is the 6:30s depending on how I feel.
Based on your most recent half, this seems reasonable. That half was a true breakout performance.

I am not going to be aggressive in the marathon until I significantly improve my half time like you did.

And here I was all excited about breaking 100 miles for the month of February today! 

Still excited... and totally stoked for March 30.

Had a great rest day today.

So today was my planned rest day, and woke up this morning to a layer of ice on the ground. Was downstairs doing my normal routine, and the phone rang indicating the kids were off school. Normally my wife can work from home, but today she had to go in for a days worth of meetings. So I get to stay home.

So today I:

1. Started a fire at 7:30 am and it is still going strong

2. Played with the kids

3. Took a nap at 3:00 on the floor in front of a roaring fire

4. Grilled some chicken

5. Made fishing lures with my 11 year old son

6. Watched Survivor with the family

7. Challenged my 13 year old to a cooking challenge: "I will bring you 4 grilled chicken breasts at 6:30. You decide the rest of the meal." And he did it! Boiled up some thick noodles, made some edamame, and made a nice spinach salad. Booyah!

8. Drank a couple of cold beers

9. Did not run

10. Going to have a bowl of ice cream now before bed.

A good day!

Nice treadmill workout for me today.

McMillan writes about a 5K race predictor "test" which I tried on the treadmill.  Two intervals of 1.5 miles at 5K pace with a rest interval of, IIRC, 600 meters between.  He writes that if you can pull that off in training, you should be able to race the 5K at that pace.  I have a St. Patrick's Day 5K coming up that I've raced several times. 

I've done this test a few times over the years but this morning I did it faster that I have before - 10.9 mph which is 5:30 pace.  I cheated a little by having a 1/2 mile rest jog between.  

I know treadmill running doesn't really count, but that's the fastest I've ever run more than a mile straight through and I did it twice.  Breathing and heart rate were OK but it's so easy to forget that overwhelming feeling of fatigue and wanting to quit that comes with 5K racing.  I certainly felt that on the second one.  

I'm not sure I can pull that off on race day but it's still encouraging.

McMillan writes about a 5K race predictor "test" which I tried on the treadmill.  Two intervals of 1.5 miles at 5K pace with a rest interval of, IIRC, 600 meters between.  He writes that if you can pull that off in training, you should be able to race the 5K at that pace.  I have a St. Patrick's Day 5K coming up that I've raced several times. 

I've done this test a few times over the years but this morning I did it faster that I have before - 10.9 mph which is 5:30 pace.  I cheated a little by having a 1/2 mile rest jog between.  

I know treadmill running doesn't really count, but that's the fastest I've ever run more than a mile straight through and I did it twice.  Breathing and heart rate were OK but it's so easy to forget that overwhelming feeling of fatigue and wanting to quit that comes with 5K racing.  I certainly felt that on the second one.  

Damn, that's fast.  :thumbup:

Any other bikers/cyclists in here?  I'm gearing up for a a 100 mile gravel ride/race in a few weeks, and doing a lot of "virtual training" via Zwift.  Anyone here using that?
Starting to try and ride a bunch of Zwift.  I enjoy it.  Did a race yesterday.  Plan to do a few workouts the next couple of days. 

I also use Rouvy when I need to feel like I am on a real ride.  I am a wimpy runner/rider.  Temperature for running needs to be above 55 and sunny, riding probably above 70.  Otherwise I am not going to enjoy it.

Starting to try and ride a bunch of Zwift.  I enjoy it.  Did a race yesterday.  Plan to do a few workouts the next couple of days. 

I also use Rouvy when I need to feel like I am on a real ride.  I am a wimpy runner/rider.  Temperature for running needs to be above 55 and sunny, riding probably above 70.  Otherwise I am not going to enjoy it.
I'll ride down into the teens - of course I did that last year on a ~20 mile gravel ride, at night, and got pneumonia.  That sucked.

I had to pick between Rouvy and Zwift and went with Zwift as a bunch of my riding buddies are on it, and it's a bit more fun (so I'll do it more).  On level 12 or 13 now, working my way up to the Tron bike (about 25% of the way there).  If you want to get together for a ride, PM me.  My group normally does 2-3 group rides a week. 

Sub 17 is on the horizon!

February was a decent month, some absolutely beautiful days, with a whole lot of rain. Pretty sure I saw 2 giraffes, 2 hippopotamus, and a lot of others walking towards a boat.

Total training time 35:31

Ride 10x / 9:59 (all on the trainer)

Run 18x / 18:22, 139 miles

Swim 10x / 5:59, 20,500 yards

Weights 2x / 1:09

Pretty happy with the ride/run/swim for now. I'll start going on longer rides soon. Hopefully outside on the weekends. Probably should swim as little longer too, and more strength sessions. We'll see. My weekday time is limited.

Closed Feb this morning.

• Total distance 247.2km (153.6mi), 2nd highest monthly distance ever for me
  • Total elevation 2,273m (7,457ft), worst in 12 months, surpassing only last Feb 😭
Three more months of flatness to go.  And then I'm going to hammer elevation this summer relentlessly.  Like I'm off my diet and driving up to Golden Corral.

That is crazy fast.  I'm barely holding on for dear life at 5:50 pace for much shorter intervals. Can't wait to see how it plays out in the race. 

I'm a noob, but I actually find it harder than street running at the same pace.  :shrug:
What makes it easier for me is I have to actively decide to fail by pressing buttons to slow or jumping off.  When running outside, it's easy to accidentally slow down.  Plus, it's nice to not have to deal with hills and wind.

What makes it easier for me is I have to actively decide to fail by pressing buttons to slow or jumping off.  When running outside, it's easy to accidentally slow down.  Plus, it's nice to not have to deal with hills and wind.
It's also easier to accidentally speed up.

True.  But when I'm running "fast" (which is slow in your world), I find myself more having to watch footing and other external elements vs just looking at numbers on a screen and thinking about how hard it is.  The distraction is good for me.  

I think this is why I like trail running more, too.  Less focus on pain, more on the task at hand.

End of February report...

106 miles run - most in a month in almost 30 years

Little over 8 pounds lost and close to 2% body fat - down to 205 and 24.5%

Puts me at 30 lbs total and 6.5% body fat lost - that's since 7/1/18. 

Since Oct 1, which is when I really started running, I have lost about 25 pounds and 5% body fat.

Should fairly easily be under 2 bills by race day and on my way to the 185 target I have in mind by swimsuit season!

And improvements in time and HR are off the charts. 

Good, good month!

Just capped a good 149 mile Feb that progressed healthier with a botched run that got way too fast. Misread my lap pace on my first tempo mile and drove pace 30 seconds too fast. Next 3 were ok but was beating myself up since I’m still trying to ease into intensity smart which this was the opposite of. PT again tomorrow and I am pleased with 24/28 days run this month. Jan and Feb 2019 way ahead of 2018 and I didn’t hit my Feb mileage total until August last year which makes me happy and sad.  

End of February report...

106 miles run - most in a month in almost 30 years

Little over 8 pounds lost and close to 2% body fat - down to 205 and 24.5%

Puts me at 30 lbs total and 6.5% body fat lost - that's since 7/1/18. 

Since Oct 1, which is when I really started running, I have lost about 25 pounds and 5% body fat.

Should fairly easily be under 2 bills by race day and on my way to the 185 target I have in mind by swimsuit season!

And improvements in time and HR are off the charts. 

Good, good month!
Good stuff, congrats!

February down a little from January, but I guess that makes sense with 3 fewer days and a mini-taper these past two weeks going into Cool this weekend.

32:40 training time

154 miles

21,368' elevation gain

At the end of our easy one today my dog and a yellow lab were playing around and the lab plowed into my knee from straight on, pushing it back (basically hyper-extending it).  Shooting pains in the knee and I walked with a limp for a few minutes, and I instantly thought this weekend (and possibly more) was shot.  But it seems to be ok since, hopefully no actual harm done.

Two months into the year I feel like I am on track so far. Have increased my mileage by 37% over this time last year. Also feels like I am finally making some progress on bringing down my times. I think last year I overdid it either trying to increase mileage and speed at the same time or trying to increase speed too fast. The 10k I have been aiming for is two weeks out so will find out soon. Whatever happens  I have to keep up the running. I think I got disillusioned after a race in April last year and let my mileage suffer for 2.5 months. Not gonna let that happen again 

Two months into the year I feel like I am on track so far. Have increased my mileage by 37% over this time last year. Also feels like I am finally making some progress on bringing down my times. I think last year I overdid it either trying to increase mileage and speed at the same time or trying to increase speed too fast. The 10k I have been aiming for is two weeks out so will find out soon. Whatever happens  I have to keep up the running. I think I got disillusioned after a race in April last year and let my mileage suffer for 2.5 months. Not gonna let that happen again 
Yep, your miles and times have been steadily improving. Good luck coming up.

Black Mt Fun Run

Training Plan – Considered Hanson and briefly Pfitz, but ultimately went with Bass.  Started running on the treadmill in October every Monday and Thursday during the football games.  Worked up from one quarter of running to a couple of full game sessions.  The bulk of the workouts were basically running as many miles as possible in the first half.  January I completely stopped training to remodel a house.  Decided to get back on the horse the beginning of February with a couple of 30 min runs before getting sick.  That left a week to train and a day to taper.  Ventured outside for the first time in ages for my long run of 13 trail miles the Saturday prior.  That run went well with a couple of sub 10 min miles.

Race Day – Work was a bear the day prior so I didn’t get away until race morning.  Up at 3:45am for the two hour drive.  Got my packet at the start, drove to the finish, and walked a mile back to the start at 7am.  Forecast was rain/freezing rain with temps in the 30s.  It had rained all week, really most of the last five months, so the course was a mudfest and many of the trail portions a stream.  The greenway was even flooded over in a couple of places.

Miles 1-3 – This race starts off on the road.  My legs weren’t feeling it.  First two miles were 10’46” and 11’34”, I was expecting sub 10s here.  Mile 3 went into the 12s, yuck.  HR solidly in zone 3.

Mile 4-9 – Uphill trail the whole way, about 250 per mile.  Actually jogged much of this, but only mustered 15-17 min pace.  How is that even possible?  That included a rest stop and some congo line sessions that were pretty dicey descending steps and navigating deadfalls blocking the trail.  HR staying in zone 3, so I’m working even if the results don’t say so.  Briefly had a snow shower.

Mile 10-14 – Got real ugly here.  22/19/17/17/17 min miles.  Mostly power hiking up a stream with a rest stop and leak stop in here.  Hit the halfway mark at 3h29m.  Mile 14 is the turn around for the marathon and the cut off for the 40 mile challenge.  I had a ticket to the top, but had missed the cut off by 45 minutes so I was headed back down after some chicken noodle soup and 4 Advil.    

Mile 15-21 – I’m north of 200thplace right now.  244 finishers and I’m estimating I pass maybe 30-40 people still headed to the turnaround. I’m jogging, it’s raining, and I’m starting to get cold when the first elite that had run an additional 12+ miles passes me.  Screw it, I’m going to hang with him for as long as I can.  It wasn’t long, but it felt good and I was actually passing people in my event.  My time the last couple of years had been north of 7 hours, so the new goal was going to beat that and post a negative split that none of the FBGs would ever sniff. For the most part people were carefully traversing the rocks, mud, and water.  For the first time in years since I roached my ankle at Massenutten, I was running the downhills rather than shuffling.  I’m clipping off miles at a 12-13 min pace and passing people in bunches. Every time an elite comes by, I run with them for as long as I can.  Feeling stronger by the mile, I’m running some of the uphill sections.  Sub 7 looking like a lock.

Mile 21-24 – Beer stop at mile 21.  They had three types to chose from, why make a choice.  After chugging the third cup, I take two steps, hit a muddy slope and proceed to fall on my butt for the first and only time of the day.  Still manage a 12’50” mile with the festivities included.  Breaking 6h30m seems possible if I can hold 14 min/mi pace.  I don’t know what it is about beer, but I Strava PR’d the next 4 mile section which included an 11 min mile.  Two of these miles included 500 feet in descent (1000 ft total) so it’s more about trying to stay upright than running.  Still reeling in people left and right.  The last pavement in this section beat my mile 3 pace by 5 seconds.  I’m actually getting stronger.

Mile 25 to finish – Last aid/beer station is at mile 25.  I chug a cup and they say here, take a whole can.  Down that but I’m passed by two people.  I really want to finish strong, but my right hammy is twinging and forcing me to talk so brief walk breaks.  Still maintaining the 12 min pace though.  Race finishes with a half mile lap around a lake.  I take off my wet fuel belt and it feels like it weighs 5-7 pounds.   Yes I’m an idiot and lugged 1.5 full bottles and other crap on a mountain marathon. Two people are within reach.  That brings up the age old question, is it cool to sprint finish 6+ hours into a race for 150thplace or a #### mitten move?  I have a half mile to stew on this.  I run and reel them in to 15 yards until the hamstring barks and then walk giving up a few yards.  I finally decided that skipping a beer stop and passing a competitor who is indulging is an injustice that just can’t stand.   With 100 yards to go I fire up the 240 pound diesel engine.  Picture CJ Anderson in the playoffs, only two decades older and infinately slower.  The first person has no answer.  The second feels my footsteps and we trade places over the last 30 yards before all is right in the world and I prevail by a step.  Here’s the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td4h2BCc1t0

This where I learn another lesson, placing isn’t determined by when you cross the line, it’s when the rip the tag off your bib so I get the time of the person behind me, because like Bo, it took me 30 yards to stop LOL.

Finishing time was 6h18m. 2h49m for the second half for a 40 minute negative split.  I’ll put that out there for any of you to top this year :lol:  Ended up around 154th so I passed about 40-50 people in the second half.  Body has been crushed for days.  While my time is still horrible, here’s a perspective.  2nd place was 3h40m and finished 28th at Western States with a 19 hour and change time and has completed the Gobi Desert 250k and UMTB twice.

February

136 miles ran

7:35 net pace, in these conditions this is extremely encouraging

25 hours of exercise (17.25 hours running, 7.75 hours lifting)

Weight 191 lbs, Body Fat 14.4% - wanted to get below 190 and that didn't happen, but I've trimmed up over 2% of body fat since January 3rd.  

March plan

I was going to begin the shift to more running and less lifting today, but looking at our temperatures next week I'm going to delay the shift.  Windy and somewhere between 8 and 19 degrees Monday-Wednesday.  I'll layer up and foot shuffle a couple of those days, but I'll get more out of a lift.

I've been just under 5 miles per day so far this year.  I'd like to get on the other side of that number for March, drop to 185 lbs, and get the body fat into the 13's.

It's never lost on my how incredible all you guys are at this running thing.  What I think is fast your recovery pace.  Its just crazy to think how bad ### all of yall are.  

I'm running a bit aimlessly right now which is when it typically goes off the rails for me.  I have broad goals this year which are helping.  

Ran 92 miles in Feb.  I wanted to hit 100, but I never got a long run in after the 5k.  92 is the second highest monthly total for me in over 6 years, so I'm still pleased.  

I can feel the shift in my fitness, which is more exciting to me than hitting 100 miles in a month.  I'm not a HR nerd, but I pay attention to it...maybe I am???  

In the past 6 months long runs have gone from 10:45ish to 10:15ish while keeping the HR under 140.  My typical general aerobic run of 3-4 miles has gone from a relaxed pace of 9:35ish down from about 10.  

Strava tells me over 4 weeks I'm averaging 22.7 miles a week and 5 runs a week.  Thats right where I want to be for now.  By June I'd like to be in the 30-35 range.  Tipped the scales at 201 this morning.  Hope to be under 200 next week.  

Theres a small half here at the end of the month.  I kind of want to do it because its nice and flat.  I want to get that poor 2:11 performance off my back.   I'm still undecided.  

BassNBrew said:
Black Mt Fun Run

Finishing time was 6h18m. 2h49m for the second half for a 40 minute negative split.  I’ll put that out there for any of you to top this year :lol:  Ended up around 154th so I passed about 40-50 people in the second half.  Body has been crushed for days.  While my time is still horrible, here’s a perspective.  2nd place was 3h40m and finished 28th at Western States with a 19 hour and change time and has completed the Gobi Desert 250k and UMTB twice.
It's a damned fine day when you wake up to a BnB race report!  Sorry fellas, this one is my favorite of the year to date, by a long stretch!  Although I really wanted that video to be of your actual finish, it sure painted the picture nicely.

Congrats on the PR!  Anything else on the schedule for the year, or going to shut it down until you start training for this one again next football season?

It's a damned fine day when you wake up to a BnB race report!  Sorry fellas, this one is my favorite of the year to date, by a long stretch!  Although I really wanted that video to be of your actual finish, it sure painted the picture nicely.

Congrats on the PR!  Anything else on the schedule for the year, or going to shut it down until you start training for this one again next football season?
Thinking about a 1/2 / full Sat / Sun in a couple of weeks. Then a 100 in a month.

Problem is my back has been giving me issues for a year and I haven't had any luck getting it resolved.  When every step is a pain, it's not much fun to train.  Fortunately I'm not having pain on the stationary bike.  I could chug beers during training and probably manage things, but that probably defeats the purpose to an extent and might not go over well at the gym.  Some days are better than others and it's not a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread