Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

8 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

It's a damned fine day when you wake up to a BnB race report!  Sorry fellas, this one is my favorite of the year to date, by a long stretch!  Although I really wanted that video to be of your actual finish, it sure painted the picture nicely.

Congrats on the PR!  Anything else on the schedule for the year, or going to shut it down until you start training for this one again next football season?

The very best grinder I know.  I'm convinced he'd chew off a limb if it was the only way for him to finish a run.

:tebow:

• Like 4

Good luck this weekend with your event Duck and congrats on Wasatch lottery results.  You're getting into some serious big boy racing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Black Mt Fun Run

Training Plan – Considered Hanson and briefly Pfitz, but ultimately went with Bass.  :lol:

Race Day – Work was a bear the day prior so I didn’t get away until race morning.  Up at 3:45am for the two hour drive.  Got my packet at the start, drove to the finish, and walked a mile back to the start at 7am.  I have a mental picture of this burly dude just walking up to the table and saying something like: "My name is Brew. You gonna have beer on the course?"

Mile 15-21 –so the new goal was going to beat that and post a negative split that none of the FBGs would ever sniff. La di da I feel like crap but I guess I'll go out and negative split this beeyotch. Take that you woooooosay FBGers!

Mile 21-24 – Beer stop at mile 21.  They had three types to chose from, why make a choice.  After chugging the third cup, Jesus. :bow:

I’m actually getting stronger. Of course you are. :lol:

Mile 25 to finish – Last aid/beer station is at mile 25.  I chug a cup and they say here, take a whole can.  Fookin' A right you do. :headbang:

Finishing time was 6h18m. 2h49m for the second half for a 40 minute negative split.  I’ll put that out there for any of you to top this year :lol: Seriously dude.  :bow: :headbang:

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

16 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Good luck this weekend with your event Duck and congrats on Wasatch lottery results.  You're getting into some serious big boy racing.

:goodposting:

Get you some @SFBayDuck

• Like 1

February Miles Ran: 194

Actually 4 more miles than January. And looking back at my build up to my previous marathons, my average pace is a bit faster in the same months leading up to the race.

So during last night's run I've pretty much determined that my race day plan will line up with the 4:00 pacer and see if there is enough at the end to break that 4:00 mark. I'm fooling myself and setting myself up for disaster to line up with a 3:55 pacer.

There are still 4 more weeks to go, but this seems to be the fitness where I will be at the time. And ideally a smarter way to approach race day. 

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

February Miles Ran: 194

Actually 4 more miles than January. And looking back at my build up to my previous marathons, my average pace is a bit faster in the same months leading up to the race.

So during last night's run I've pretty much determined that my race day plan will line up with the 4:00 pacer and see if there is enough at the end to break that 4:00 mark. I'm fooling myself and setting myself up for disaster to line up with a 3:55 pacer.

There are still 4 more weeks to go, but this seems to be the fitness where I will be at the time. And ideally a smarter way to approach race day. 

Wow, nice work.  That's more monthly miles than I've ever ran.  And in a short month, no less!

Love your marathon strategy, you're going to rock it.  Great thing about a pacer is that if you run with him/her for the whole race and then finish even slightly faster, you've got a negative split.  Like a boss.  

Edited by Zasada
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, BassNBrew said:

Thanks man, appreciate it. Wanna come out to Utah and pace me?

Hope your back gets better. Have you tried CBD yet?  I’ve been using a tincture if CBD and curcumin that I think is helping with recovery, inflammation, and pain. 

51 minutes ago, Zasada said:

Wow, nice work.  That's more monthly miles than I've ever ran.  And in a short month, no less!

Love your marathon strategy, you're going to rock it.  Great thing about a pacer is that if you run with him/her for the whole race and then finish even slightly faster, you've got a negative split.  Like a boss.  

This.  All of this.  Wow man!  

40 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Hope your back gets better. Have you tried CBD yet?  I’ve been using a tincture if CBD and curcumin that I think is helping with recovery, inflammation, and pain. 

In!  

Oh, and kick ### this weekend Duck!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFBayDuck said:

Would love to but you dropping me a mile after we head out isn’t going to help you much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SayWhat? said:

In!  

Oh, and kick ### this weekend Duck!  

If you're serious, let's talk!

21 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Would love to but you dropping me a mile after we head out isn’t going to help you much

You know how this goes - by the time the pacer starts the runner is trashed, so you'd be pulling me along.  I've paced my low-2:50s marathon buddy several times, and only worried he might drop me once ;)

8 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Oh man, I'd love to.  Truly.  

I just checked the date for Wasatch and unfortunately we'll be running concurrent 100's that weekend!   You should plan to carry your phone with you and if/when we both have reception, we can talk about how miserable we are.  :hifive:

• Laughing 2

4 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Oh man, I'd love to.  Truly.  

I just checked the date for Wasatch and unfortunately we'll be running concurrent 100's that weekend!   You should plan to carry your phone with you and if/when we both have reception, we can talk about how miserable we are.  :hifive:

Not sure how good reception is deep in the Wasatch Mountains, but sounds like a plan. 

3 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Not sure how good reception is deep in the Wasatch Mountains, but sounds like a plan. 

Just carry your sat phone.  C’mon Duck, it’s just one more thing.  

• Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Just carry your sat phone.  C’mon Duck, it’s just one more thing.  

I'm ready

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

So who's racing this weekend other than @SFBayDuck?

Also, just looked at my Strava run from Colorado on the computer.  Hilarious -- Pace just kept dropping and HR just kept going up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Pace just kept dropping and HR just kept going up. 

This is my everyday run.

• Laughing 2

Just got back home.  Left yesterday and drove straight here all day and through the night (arrived at 5:30am after about 14 hours of traveling).  Couple hours of sleep and up at 8:30 and just getting situated.  Feel so much better.  That altitude really did me in.

Got out for 5 miles now and was as expected after taking almost a week off from running.  Consolation was that my HR was decent for the first few miles.  Anyway, my wife punted the HM back to me so looks like I'm running it next Saturday.  Going to be less than ideal but will give it a go.  I plan on treating it more like a training run, or at least I keep telling myself that, until I'm out there for the race. 

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 2

Just now, ChiefD said:

As in tomorrow?

Good luck! 

Oh, no, sorry.  Next Saturday.  Keep forgetting today is Friday.

10 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Anyway, my wife punted the HM back to me so looks like I'm running it next Saturday.  Going to be less than ideal but will give it a go.  I plan on treating it more like a training run, or at least I keep telling myself that, until I'm out there for the race. 

Awesome!  Good plan to treat it like a training run.  A low-pressure way to get re-acquainted with the distance so that you can kick some butt in a few months when you're racing again.

7 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Oh, ok. Well, I'm retracting my good luck and will re-issue next week.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Tomorrow is the next Saturday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zasada said:

Awesome!  Good plan to treat it like a training run.  A low-pressure way to get re-acquainted with the distance so that you can kick some butt in a few months when you're racing again.

Well, I'm currently looking at 3 options on how to approach this.  My overall miles are lacking over the last 3 months so I'm simply not in good racing shape.  I'm nowhere near where I was in October for my first HM even though it didn't go well. I ended up with an 8:44 pace there due to a poor finish.

Option 1 -- Just run it as a training run, time be damned.  Given my overall fitness and lack of long runs lately, probably the smartest approach.

Option 2 -- Run it at an 8:45 pace and if things feel good after several miles, try to negative split and at least PR.

Option 3 -- Looking at calculators based on my 15K race in December (overall not in great shape for it), I should be able to run an 8:30 pace. That feels like the best I could do right now. I could run with the 8:30 pacer and see what happens.  I just don't know if that will go well.

I've only had one run over last couple months that I've pushed at all so I'm not really looking forward to a long, difficult run. But, in when it turns into a race environment, well....

6 hours ago, SFBayDuck said:

You know how this goes - by the time the pacer starts the runner is trashed, so you'd be pulling me along.  I've paced my low-2:50s marathon buddy several times, and only worried he might drop me once ;)

Let’s see if I can be successful at something more than a fun run. I need to change my middle name from Gordon to Nancy that way my initials would match my race results. 

Crush it tomorrow!!!

• Like 1

Maybe plot out a progression plan to have you maybe work 9:15ish down to 9ish for the first half then press down to the 8:45 for 5k and then a fast 5k finish. Would have you near the PR being smart and not risky as option 2 & 3. 

@gianmarco

1 minute ago, BassNBrew said:

Let’s see if I can be successful at something more than a fun run. I need to change my middle name from Gordon to Nancy that way my initials would match my race results. 

Crush it tomorrow!!!

:lmao:

And thanks.  It's going to be sloppy, the ground is still saturated and the rain starts up again tonight and is supposed to continue through the weekend. Based on past years I'd expect 2-3 creek crossings that are thigh-deep, and some really slick climbs in the last 5-6 miles as we climb back up to Cool.  Should be fun!

15 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Black Mt Fun Run

Forecast was rain/freezing rain with temps in the 30s.  

Mile 10-14 – Mostly power hiking up a stream

Love me some @BassNBrew race reporting.  :wub:

• Like 1

4 weeks! Went to the park today with intention of doing 10 "easy" miles. Miles felt easy enough and were a little slower than other long runs but Oliver has but one speed! Was wanting to keep the HR down to like 130, which probably should be doing about 9:15 to 9:30/mile +/-. Instead it was about 140 and we averaged about 8:42/mile. Still seems unreal that I can average that as an "easier" run now. 

• Like 4

On 2/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, matttyl said:

Any other bikers/cyclists in here?  I'm gearing up for a a 100 mile gravel ride/race in a few weeks, and doing a lot of "virtual training" via Zwift.  Anyone here using that?

I don’t use Zwift, but some of the others here do. I prefer amazon prime

On 3/1/2019 at 7:32 AM, BassNBrew said:

Black Mt Fun Run

Training Plan – Considered Hanson and briefly Pfitz, but ultimately went with Bass.  Started running on the treadmill in October every Monday and Thursday during the football games.  Worked up from one quarter of running to a couple of full game sessions.  The bulk of the workouts were basically running as many miles as possible in the first half.  January I completely stopped training to remodel a house.  Decided to get back on the horse the beginning of February with a couple of 30 min runs before getting sick.  That left a week to train and a day to taper.  Ventured outside for the first time in ages for my long run of 13 trail miles the Saturday prior.  That run went well with a couple of sub 10 min miles.

Race Day – Work was a bear the day prior so I didn’t get away until race morning.  Up at 3:45am for the two hour drive.  Got my packet at the start, drove to the finish, and walked a mile back to the start at 7am.  Forecast was rain/freezing rain with temps in the 30s.  It had rained all week, really most of the last five months, so the course was a mudfest and many of the trail portions a stream.  The greenway was even flooded over in a couple of places.

Miles 1-3 – This race starts off on the road.  My legs weren’t feeling it.  First two miles were 10’46” and 11’34”, I was expecting sub 10s here.  Mile 3 went into the 12s, yuck.  HR solidly in zone 3.

Mile 4-9 – Uphill trail the whole way, about 250 per mile.  Actually jogged much of this, but only mustered 15-17 min pace.  How is that even possible?  That included a rest stop and some congo line sessions that were pretty dicey descending steps and navigating deadfalls blocking the trail.  HR staying in zone 3, so I’m working even if the results don’t say so.  Briefly had a snow shower.

Mile 10-14 – Got real ugly here.  22/19/17/17/17 min miles.  Mostly power hiking up a stream with a rest stop and leak stop in here.  Hit the halfway mark at 3h29m.  Mile 14 is the turn around for the marathon and the cut off for the 40 mile challenge.  I had a ticket to the top, but had missed the cut off by 45 minutes so I was headed back down after some chicken noodle soup and 4 Advil.    

Mile 15-21 – I’m north of 200thplace right now.  244 finishers and I’m estimating I pass maybe 30-40 people still headed to the turnaround. I’m jogging, it’s raining, and I’m starting to get cold when the first elite that had run an additional 12+ miles passes me.  Screw it, I’m going to hang with him for as long as I can.  It wasn’t long, but it felt good and I was actually passing people in my event.  My time the last couple of years had been north of 7 hours, so the new goal was going to beat that and post a negative split that none of the FBGs would ever sniff. For the most part people were carefully traversing the rocks, mud, and water.  For the first time in years since I roached my ankle at Massenutten, I was running the downhills rather than shuffling.  I’m clipping off miles at a 12-13 min pace and passing people in bunches. Every time an elite comes by, I run with them for as long as I can.  Feeling stronger by the mile, I’m running some of the uphill sections.  Sub 7 looking like a lock.

Mile 21-24 – Beer stop at mile 21.  They had three types to chose from, why make a choice.  After chugging the third cup, I take two steps, hit a muddy slope and proceed to fall on my butt for the first and only time of the day.  Still manage a 12’50” mile with the festivities included.  Breaking 6h30m seems possible if I can hold 14 min/mi pace.  I don’t know what it is about beer, but I Strava PR’d the next 4 mile section which included an 11 min mile.  Two of these miles included 500 feet in descent (1000 ft total) so it’s more about trying to stay upright than running.  Still reeling in people left and right.  The last pavement in this section beat my mile 3 pace by 5 seconds.  I’m actually getting stronger.

Mile 25 to finish – Last aid/beer station is at mile 25.  I chug a cup and they say here, take a whole can.  Down that but I’m passed by two people.  I really want to finish strong, but my right hammy is twinging and forcing me to talk so brief walk breaks.  Still maintaining the 12 min pace though.  Race finishes with a half mile lap around a lake.  I take off my wet fuel belt and it feels like it weighs 5-7 pounds.   Yes I’m an idiot and lugged 1.5 full bottles and other crap on a mountain marathon. Two people are within reach.  That brings up the age old question, is it cool to sprint finish 6+ hours into a race for 150thplace or a #### mitten move?  I have a half mile to stew on this.  I run and reel them in to 15 yards until the hamstring barks and then walk giving up a few yards.  I finally decided that skipping a beer stop and passing a competitor who is indulging is an injustice that just can’t stand.   With 100 yards to go I fire up the 240 pound diesel engine.  Picture CJ Anderson in the playoffs, only two decades older and infinately slower.  The first person has no answer.  The second feels my footsteps and we trade places over the last 30 yards before all is right in the world and I prevail by a step.  Here’s the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td4h2BCc1t0

This where I learn another lesson, placing isn’t determined by when you cross the line, it’s when the rip the tag off your bib so I get the time of the person behind me, because like Bo, it took me 30 yards to stop LOL.

Finishing time was 6h18m. 2h49m for the second half for a 40 minute negative split.  I’ll put that out there for any of you to top this year :lol:  Ended up around 154th so I passed about 40-50 people in the second half.  Body has been crushed for days.  While my time is still horrible, here’s a perspective.  2nd place was 3h40m and finished 28th at Western States with a 19 hour and change time and has completed the Gobi Desert 250k and UMTB twice.

So your saying there is beer?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

9 minutes ago, JAA said:

So your saying there is beer?

:lol:

I ran my first trail race last February, and they had beer. When I was done, I thought to myself: this is way more my speed that road running.

So then I signed up for a road marathon again. I’m thinking trail running may be in my near future plans due to my slowness. 

Edited by ChiefD
  • Love 1

Well that was sloppy. Fun day, but I wasn’t quite good enough to PR in those conditions. Really happy with how I executed, though. Finished 6:06ish. 

• Like 14
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Well that was sloppy. Fun day, but I wasn’t quite good enough to PR in those conditions. Really happy with how I executed, though. Finished 6:06ish. 

Awesome job. Way to get it done.

:headbang:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChiefD said:

:lol:

I ran my first trail race last February, and they had beer. When I was done, I thought to myself: this is way more my speed that road running.

So then I signed up for a road marathon again. I’m thinking trail running may be in my near future plans due to my slowness. 

At one aid station today there was a bottle of Crown Royal and several cans of beer. It was tempting, but I passed. Dude next to me grabbed a whole can of beer and headed out. #likeaboss

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

22 hours ago, bushdocda said:

Maybe plot out a progression plan to have you maybe work 9:15ish down to 9ish for the first half then press down to the 8:45 for 5k and then a fast 5k finish. Would have you near the PR being smart and not risky as option 2 & 3. 

@gianmarco

This may be an option I consider. 

That said, I just did a quick 4 mile "tempo" run to get a feel for where I am.  Was aiming for an 8:45 pace.  Unfortunately, with it being darker (although my watch does light up with the flick of a wrist, @Juxtatarot and @JShare87) and my near sight being #### now that I'm older, I couldn't see the numbers for my pace so I just kind of ran at a comfortably uncomfortable pace that I could hold for a while.  Turns out it was closer to 8:30. 

Now, I doubt I can hold that for a HM at this point without it being a huge struggle, but I do think I can run in the 8's for the race.  There's a 1:55 pacer (8:47 min/mile) that I might try and follow along with if I don't go with the above progression.  If things go well after the first 7-8 miles, then I can pick it up.  Obviously more risk that way, but it's ok to suffer for one day I guess. 

Definitely not going any faster than that to start, though.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

This may be an option I consider. 

That said, I just did a quick 4 mile "tempo" run to get a feel for where I am.  Was aiming for an 8:45 pace.  Unfortunately, with it being darker (although my watch does light up with the flick of a wrist, @Juxtatarot and @JShare87) and my near sight being #### now that I'm older, I couldn't see the numbers for my pace so I just kind of ran at a comfortably uncomfortable pace that I could hold for a while.  Turns out it was closer to 8:30. 

Now, I doubt I can hold that for a HM at this point without it being a huge struggle, but I do think I can run in the 8's for the race.  There's a 1:55 pacer (8:47 min/mile) that I might try and follow along with if I don't go with the above progression.  If things go well after the first 7-8 miles, then I can pick it up.  Obviously more risk that way, but it's ok to suffer for one day I guess. 

Definitely not going any faster than that to start, though.

You ran your fall race at 8:45 and blew up.  Albeit it was on a warm and humid day. And you had a lot more training then.

If I am you, 8:47 might be a stretch. I would just run this by feel. If your heart rate is in a manageable zone, push it. If not, then back off and just use this as a training run.  With your sporadic training, I’m not even sure I would run this one by pace.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

You ran your fall race at 8:45 and blew up.  Albeit it was on a warm and humid day. And you had a lot more training then.

If I am you, 8:47 might be a stretch. I would just run this by feel. If your heart rate is in a manageable zone, push it. If not, then back off and just use this as a training run.  With your sporadic training, I’m not even sure I would run this one by pace.

Well, I ran the first 7 miles at an 8:10 pace and THEN blew up.  And even after 12 miles, I was at an 8:30 pace overall.  The last mile with walking at over 11 minutes was the final dagger.  Given the weather that day, I should have been at the 8:30 pace to start and I think i would have fared much better and finished with a better time. 

But yes, even 8:47 might be a stretch at this point.  :(

I will say that if I go for that and fail, that's going to be some serious motivation to get my ### out there consistently.  So I'm ok with that.  As it is, I'm finding myself looking back at some of my runs from last summer and fall and just shaking my head now as to how far back I've fallen.  And for that reason, today, I realized, I'm now glad I signed up for this thing next week.  Either way, it's going to get the fire burning. 

Once recovered from the HM, I'll be hitting that 12 week daily base plan to get into top shape for June's race.  I'm getting excited for that.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 3

7 miles in freshly fallen, unplowed snow this morning. felt like 77. 

my legs still burn

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SFBayDuck said:

At one aid station today there was a bottle of Crown Royal and several cans of beer. It was tempting, but I passed. Dude next to me grabbed a whole can of beer and headed out. #likeaboss

I could absolutely see taking a beer there. 

Great run! 

• Like 1

Man, I wish it could stay in the 40s or 50s year round. It's rained way too much lately but otherwise this weather has been glorious. :D

• Like 1

Might be forced into a rest day today. Currently about 3" of snow on the ground and still coming. Winds out of the north at 19. Current temp is  11. Wind chill -7. This winter can suck my sack.

Community center will probably be closed. If it is open I may try to get there later. Luckily this was a step back week, so only scheduled for 10 today.

Stomach issues have flared up worse since last week, so this may actually be a benefit and I'm leaning toward just bagging this run altogether.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:14 PM, SFBayDuck said:

:lmao:

And thanks.  It's going to be sloppy, the ground is still saturated and the rain starts up again tonight and is supposed to continue through the weekend. Based on past years I'd expect 2-3 creek crossings that are thigh-deep, and some really slick climbs in the last 5-6 miles as we climb back up to Cool.  Should be fun!

Looked at the course, how do you go at something like that with the huge descent and climb a while later. Looks like a 10k, roll down a massive hill, run some more, hike 1500 ft up, run another 10k. 

And add all the mud. 

14 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Agree

if you want to run better than 9, run the first half the race at 9. If you feel great then pick it up with 6, 5, or even 4 miles to go. 

Ok, so I gotta thank a couple of the BMFers here

1 - thanks to G-in (a couple of you know him as John) for showing me the article on the desire to breathe through your nose and mouf. I’ve been working on this and I can tell it helps with HR. My guess is this method is dropping my HR 5-8 beats when I can focus on it. 

2 - to the person who said to focus on the exhale. When I’m focusing on breathing through both, focusing on the exhale makes it easier to concentrate and keep it going.  FWIW I think I saw a couple days back someone else thanking for this same reason  

🍺

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mr. furley said:

7 miles in freshly fallen, unplowed snow this morning. felt like 77. 

my legs still burn

Awesome work getting out there.  It would have been easy to just stay home with that excuse.  BMF!

• Thanks 1

Got out to Prairie Mountain yesterday.  -31C (-24F) at the trailhead but it was glorious.  No wind, clear skies.  Was with a friend so there was no running (moved my easy 10 to Friday, thanks guys for the advice) but still got the heart working on the ascent.  Took some photos (on Strava as always) and got lucky with one in particular.  We were just starting our descent down the backside and I looked back to see a few trees and my friend in silhouette.  I rarely look back from that spot but this time just had to enjoy it for a moment.

Also saw a couple deer on the way up to make things even that much better.

2.5 months until my street marathon and then I can get back to trails/mountains fulltime.  Can't wait.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Might be forced into a rest day today. Currently about 3" of snow on the ground and still coming. Winds out of the north at 19. Current temp is  11. Wind chill -7. This winter can suck my sack.

Community center will probably be closed. If it is open I may try to get there later. Luckily this was a step back week, so only scheduled for 10 today.

Stomach issues have flared up worse since last week, so this may actually be a benefit and I'm leaning toward just bagging this run altogether.

Took my skirt off and found a Planet Fitness up the street that was open. Got my 10 miles in and actually felt pretty good.

Now if I could just take a good dump I'd be really happy. :toilet:

• Like 5