What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

Gimme a B+, looks like 1:39:28. Faded more than I planned but ran a pretty good race. Probably could’ve found 30 seconds out there somewhere. Fuuuck. 
I tell my friends that you don't want to beat your PR by too much, so that you can beat it again down the road.  :)

Great work on the PR and congratulations.  Don't discount your effort.  Finding 30 seconds always seems easier when you're sitting on the couch after the race. 

Juxtatarot said:
Oh, good luck to @Steel Curtain pacing for another marathon!  (This weekend, right?)
Good memory!  

Yup, pacing Pocono Marathon. Course has changed due to road construction so first half looks hilly.  Also will be warm, likely second half of race will be in the 70’s.  High temp for the day will be in the 80’s.  I’ll be done before it gets that warm.

Was supposed to pace 3:45 but due to the heat, they moved everyone back so now I’m pacing 3:50.

Good luck to anyone racing.

Gimme a B+, looks like 1:39:28. Faded more than I planned but ran a pretty good race. Probably could’ve found 30 seconds out there somewhere. Fuuuck. 
Congrats on the PR, a 3 minute Improvement is huge in the half. It isn’t like you were racing in ideal conditions either, it was a bit warm.

Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot. Putzed around a bit afterwards then walked about a mile back to hotel to unwind before driving home.  Would have been cool hang town if I weren’t solo.  I’m really pleased on the whole and will now eat all the pizzas.  Then liberally get some beerz going tonight. 

Good luck to our guys out there today and tomorrow!

Rained like a mofo yesterday, so my trail run this morning was interesting. The original plan was to do a full loop, which is just short of 10 miles.The condition of the trail changed the plan.

Basically ankle deep mud and water for the first 2 miles. So I decided to pull an audible, especially with the relay in two weeks. I wanted to punish my legs a little bit, but not totally obliterate them.

My first leg in the relay is about 4.65 miles of trail, then finishing with about a mile on flat surface. So I decided to replicate that run today. I ran as hard as I could manage in those conditions for 4.6 miles, which luckily put me right under the dam of the lake. So I climbed the dam and then ran the concrete road the rest of the way in to complete my 8 mile run. A couple of notes:

1. If the trails in the relay are this sloppy, it's gonna be TOUGH.

2. I ran that 4.6 mile segment today at a pace of 12:06. I powerhiked some of the uphills and tried to smash the downhills as best I could. The cool part is: when I ran that race here in February of 2018, (in very similar conditions actually), I ran that same segment at a 14:05 pace. So that was GREAT to see.

3. The downside is that during my segment of the race, I wouldn't expect much faster than that unless it dries out. Most of my trail portion is a net downhill, so MAYBE I can get into the 10's. But I doubt it. We'll see.

Before game of thrones breaks the internet, race report time I tried to keep short.

St Michaels (Maryland) Half

TL;DR - 1:39:27 - 4/56 AG, 49/1270 overall - PR by 2:45 - would race again, flat & smaller than I thought

Felt pretty significant nerves night before knowing how much training came ahead of this raceday but was just excited come morning. Knew I’d be extending my goal pace (avg 7:30/mi overall) considerably longer than in training and also need to maintain a HR at and higher than mid 160s for most the race and temps were up. I wanted to make this as boring as possible and stay smooth and controlled. Largely I was able to and the race thinned out beautifully after the first turn. 

First 3 - 7:41/ 7:35/7:28

Was not as big as I thought based on the wave start (<1300 racers).  I was behind the 1:40 pacer and was having to maintain discipline not to pass in the first mile. I paced myself per plan of holding back a bit through 3 miles. 

Next 5 - 7:25/7:28/7:35/7:32/7:37

Think I passed him around start of mile 4 and decided if I saw him again I’d tackle him. But then I thought of our pacer heroes and settled on just not having that happen. Having run the course a couple weeks ago I had a good idea on tangents and avoiding some camber on a closed course.  Still ended up running longer than 13.1 though. There were a good amount of turns and out and backs that slowed my roll a tad but I was largely feeling good through halfway. Mile 8 and 9 I was working too hard and trying to get my #### together. I was taking water to the head about every water stop and catching a swig. Thoughts of a needed fast finish were taking from my focus and I fought it back as best I could.  

Last 5 and change - 7:40/7:32/7:35/7:45/7:16/6:44

I was with a same couple guys a lot of the last 5 miles and that was pretty cool. The out and back around 11/12 is where I lost focus the most and if I wasn’t hurting before I sure was now. Last mile was all the pain and while each second counts the same, these feel like the ones you can feel slipping away the most to me. I was grinding and could not stick with a guy in the last half mile but still managed to ‘fast last’ and the never ending end bits.  

Fin

I got the right result today and I am not discounting the PR. It was just that prior half PRs were during other training so with a focus on this race it was expected it surpass those times. I am sore but nothing is indicating concerns so that makes me very happy with a B time result and healthy outcome physically and another notch on my mental belt. A cooler day would have given me a bit more but conditions were calm and cloudy at least. On paper and in the mind, training successes turn into big goals and expectations and I think a cool day gives me a shot at 1:38 yesterday. I still underestimate the extra bit of distance that comes in most races and the build up of little things like turnarounds and water stops in my time goals.  I am thoroughly pleased with this training cycle and the fitness I’ve gained thus far in 2019. I have spent a lot more time at higher HRs in training and feel good about that. 

What’s next?  I’ll probably alternate some easy runs and off days and mobility this week and see the PT to punish my psoas. When I feel up to it, I want to get into some speed stuff and 5k specific workouts and hills to see how that goes. Have an eye on a June 5k. Want to get more comfortable at faster paces. We’ll see how motivation is coming off the block of training just completed.  This plan was every bit of not more challenging as last years marathon plan.  Its time to put the Hanson’s HM book on the shelf and get the marathon version back out to (hopefully not) obsess on race equivalency and pace charts for this fall. 

Most important, thanks for the camaraderie, accountability and friendship, gents.  We make each other better in a real way.

if you recall I picked up a hip twinge mile one of my 10k race a couple of weeks ago. I've been babying and stretching it ever since.  Sat I did a spirited SS MTB ride and ran later in the afternoon.  On Sun morning, hip felt decent and after a long stretching session did my longest run since the race felt ok during the run.  It's a little sore today... It's freaking frustrating! 

Re: dogs if they start to get real hot, wetting their head neck and undercarriage is the quickest way to bring down their temp.  

(i've got three bird dogs who are in the field every weekend doing bird dog training) 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/62568006/screw-work-its-race-week.jpg

Nervous isn't the right word, anxious maybe. 

Knowing I didn't put in enough work for my A goal, but I did the best I could. So we'll see how it goes Sunday. 

Unlikely to be wetsuit legal, and the run is gonna be hot.  In all honesty, the dream of breaking 5 is going to take another year. But an age group podium is on the table. (Small race)

First 70.3 in 3 years (and since turning 40).  I'm not really sure what I expect... Should be fun.

https://www.trisignup.com/Race/AL/Scottsboro/GoosepondPondIslandHalfIronDistanceTriathlon

Last edited by a moderator:
https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/62568006/screw-work-its-race-week.jpg

Nervous isn't the right word, anxious maybe. 

Knowing I didn't put in enough work for my A goal, but I did the best I could. So we'll see how it goes Sunday. 

Unlikely to be wetsuit legal, and the run is gonna be hot.  In all honesty, the dream of breaking 5 is going to take another year. But an age group podium is on the table. (Small race)

First 70.3 in 3 years (and since turning 40).  I'm not really sure what I expect... Should be fun.

https://www.trisignup.com/Race/AL/Scottsboro/GoosepondPondIslandHalfIronDistanceTriathlon
Race your race.

Your training has been fantastic.  Dont think about the podium, worry about overdoing it.  If you only do what you have shown in training a podium is what will happen.

I have a running date in like 2 hours.  Im so nervous, I dont even know what to wear!  There is also a shot, an outside shot, this will turn into a threesome.

Is is too presumptious to bring beet power?  I mean, I want to show off my BMF'dom, but without being waaaaaay over the top.  Whats the shark move?  You know, other than praying to god i can withstand the urge to #### for 1 full hour ...

I'm not familiar with Triathlons, what does this mean?

@-OZ-, go kick some butt.  AG podium shot is a great motivator.  Get some!
If the water temp is 76° or lower, you can wear a wetsuit for the swim. The wetsuit makes you a bit faster, especially for those of us who are not great swimmers (which really means most triathletes). If the temp is above that, sometimes you can wear it but you can't place and sometimes start at the end of the pack. I won't wear it in those cases, plus it does actually make you warmer. My sleeveless isn't too warm but it does make a difference.

I have a running date in like 2 hours.  Im so nervous, I dont even know what to wear!  There is also a shot, an outside shot, this will turn into a threesome.

Is is too presumptious to bring beet power?  I mean, I want to show off my BMF'dom, but without being waaaaaay over the top.  Whats the shark move?  You know, other than praying to god i can withstand the urge to #### for 1 full hour ...
You pretty much have to bring it.

And then bring it.

Oh Jesus, this is going to turn into a tempo run with a flat out sprint to finish, isn't it?

Whoa I realize it's a holiday here in Canada but that still doesn't make it Friday.

All of a sudden I find myself cheering for @JAA more than any of you other guys.  

Can't wait for the RR.

So, I'll pretty sure my vivoactive bit the dust. GPS works, but the swim counter and Bluetooth are off. I tried resetting to no avail. 😢

I will probably just keep it for a while but it will be time soon to look for another watch. I like the wrist HRM a lot, seems fairly accurate with me. 

2 years seems to be the max with these things.
Check Garmin support, its great.  My watch altimeter went, got a new watch for $100.

And we aren't holding hands like the Pauls.

Bump for @MAC_32

Other random foods that come to mind that I didn't mention:

tuna, avocado, raspberries, cucumbers+celery+carrots for the hummus, hard boiled eggs (wife always makes a dozen and leaves them in the fridge for a quick grab).
Thank you again for this very timely bump.  With just a couple of tweaks to my daily fueling I've both been able to maintain the quality of workouts and finally dropped some of those pesky pounds I quite simply did not shed over winter.  The 3-5 pounds I "lost" between Christmas/New Year's and early February may have just been December bloat.  While I gained strength between then and mid April my weight was basically exactly the same.  After 5 weeks with tweaks guided by the above?  From 192 to 187.  And I don't think strength nor body fat have suffered either, but won't check up on it til the beginning of June. When hopefully the weight check will yield 185.  I'll decide then if I want to shed anymore.

Re racing - I may finally give it a go this Sunday, 5.25 miler.  But long range isn't good - mid 60's and humid with storm possibilities.  I have a plan through Thursday then I'll make a decision Friday.  If it's looking bad I'll do SoS/long'ish, but if not I'll just do something easy and get fresh.  Of the races I have on my radar the next couple weeks this is the one I want to do most though.  

Thank you again for this very timely bump.  With just a couple of tweaks to my daily fueling I've both been able to maintain the quality of workouts and finally dropped some of those pesky pounds I quite simply did not shed over winter.  The 3-5 pounds I "lost" between Christmas/New Year's and early February may have just been December bloat.  While I gained strength between then and mid April my weight was basically exactly the same.  After 5 weeks with tweaks guided by the above?  From 192 to 187.  And I don't think strength nor body fat have suffered either, but won't check up on it til the beginning of June. When hopefully the weight check will yield 185.  I'll decide then if I want to shed anymore.

Re racing - I may finally give it a go this Sunday, 5.25 miler.  But long range isn't good - mid 60's and humid with storm possibilities.  I have a plan through Thursday then I'll make a decision Friday.  If it's looking bad I'll do SoS/long'ish, but if not I'll just do something easy and get fresh.  Of the races I have on my radar the next couple weeks this is the one I want to do most though.  
Awesome!

I'm back on the horse also with the cleaner diet and feel so much better.  I'm getting really strong on the mtn bike - highlighted with a 30mi ride on Saturday.  The sprinting on the bike seems to have my metabolism on overdrive - losing weight in places I thought would never happen.  I've never been more in love with an activity than I am with the bikes - I'm almost euphoric every time we finish a ride.  It's such a great blend of adventure/fun and putting in hard work.  I can't explain it.

Awesome!

I'm back on the horse also with the cleaner diet and feel so much better.  I'm getting really strong on the mtn bike - highlighted with a 30mi ride on Saturday.  The sprinting on the bike seems to have my metabolism on overdrive - losing weight in places I thought would never happen.  I've never been more in love with an activity than I am with the bikes - I'm almost euphoric every time we finish a ride.  It's such a great blend of adventure/fun and putting in hard work.  I can't explain it.
@Ned love that feeling that a good MTB ride gives me.    I don't recall ever feeling anything close to that from running.  only thing I routinely feel running is the elation that I'm finished 

Hey @gianmarco - has the race sent anything out about possible flooding conditions?

If Kansas and Missouri gets as much rain as they are forecasting over the next week, that river along the trail is going to be seriously high. I would guess that area is a flood zone as well. Something to keep an eye on.

Hey @gianmarco - has the race sent anything out about possible flooding conditions?

If Kansas and Missouri gets as much rain as they are forecasting over the next week, that river along the trail is going to be seriously high. I would guess that area is a flood zone as well. Something to keep an eye on.
They've been doing recon on the trail. The Katy trail is in good shape. The single tracks are getting better.

We aren't scheduled to get rain except one day this week. Temps are 90 all week as a high. Things should be in good shape. 

Just need it to cool off the following week.

Users who are viewing this thread