What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

No amount of clamshells had me ready for this morning. I’ve had most PT modalities including cups, needles, electro needles to the groin.  Have been feeling good and almost cancelled but I always at least get my hips/sacrum assessed/adjusted since running and desk life crest some recurring funkiness so went anyway. She checks my hamstrings and hones in on a hot spot just above my left knee on the inside of my hamstring. Things get heavy when she starts with the scraping thing and then cups it then more scraping. I was seeing spots and lightheaded and that was my restday today.  
Graston is fun.  The best is on the top of your foot.  That'll make you sweat.

I did for a few years, primarily the Olympus and Lone Peak, and then the Timp when they came out.  I had been a Hoka guy for years, but each year and model they kept getting more narrow and eventually I couldn't find a pair that fit me well, so I made the switch.  

I liked them, and didn't have too much of a problem adjusting to the zero drop.  I even ran 100Ks and 100Ms in them.  But when Hoka finally came out with a wider shoe again (Torrent) I started working that in to the mix.  At the same time I had retired all but one pair of Timps, but I soon found that when I wore them my achilles was sore.  It wasn't something I wanted to mess with as I ramped up into Miwok and then San Diego, so I haven't worn them in a few months now.

Hokas are only 4mm drop so I'm not sure if it was really that difference or it was just coincidental, but I still haven't been back to Altras.  I'd like to start mixing them back in again as I think if you can run in zero drop shoes without calf/achilles issues, that can only be a good thing.
Hmmm...I'm behind the times but following your same track.  Running store is getting me a pair of Olympus and Timp to try.  They had the torrents but the Hokas blisters scared me away.  Maybe I should revisit.  The other problem with Hoka is that I tend to roll my right ankle on that stack height.  Right heel has been sore in my Lone Peak, a 1 on a 1-10 scale.  Maybe I should drop into a 0 drop for an ultra.  Nikes Flyknit are my favorite road shoe right now but I haven't found a Nike trail shoe I like.  Two weeks out and at a loss.

Also just brought an Altra road shoe and the insert seems too small and is shifting around.  Running store told me to glue it in.  For $150 I ain't gluing ####, they are going back.

Hmmm...I'm behind the times but following your same track.  Running store is getting me a pair of Olympus and Timp to try.  They had the torrents but the Hokas blisters scared me away.  Maybe I should revisit.  The other problem with Hoka is that I tend to roll my right ankle on that stack height.  Right heel has been sore in my Lone Peak, a 1 on a 1-10 scale.  Maybe I should drop into a 0 drop for an ultra.  Nikes Flyknit are my favorite road shoe right now but I haven't found a Nike trail shoe I like.  Two weeks out and at a loss.

Also just brought an Altra road shoe and the insert seems too small and is shifting around.  Running store told me to glue it in.  For $150 I ain't gluing ####, they are going back.
That was my only real complaint about Altras, that sometimes the inserts would fall apart with the top layer peeling away and bunching up in the shoe. Not a big deal as I usually had others around I could swap in.  But agree, you shouldn't have to glue inserts in, they should fit.

Otherwise I normally really liked the roomy toe box.  Except at Grindstone, when I switched from the Torrents into the Olympus at mile 70 and my foot kept slamming into the side of the shoe as I slipped and slid on a several mile climb on a trail made up of dinner plate rocks.

took an 11 day break from running while on vacation. terrible idea. 

my last run pre-vacation was a 4.75 (ultra 5K!) trail race in mid 80s, high dew points with no breeze. my first run after that was 90 degrees with heavy winds after basically 10 days of hydrating only with beer.

the alcohol sweat pouring from my body last night would have made a wino drunk  :deadbanana: 

No amount of clamshells had me ready for this morning. I’ve had most PT modalities including cups, needles, electro needles to the groin.  Have been feeling good and almost cancelled but I always at least get my hips/sacrum assessed/adjusted since running and desk life crest some recurring funkiness so went anyway. She checks my hamstrings and hones in on a hot spot just above my left knee on the inside of my hamstring. Things get heavy when she starts with the scraping thing and then cups it then more scraping. I was seeing spots and lightheaded and that was my restday today.  
I'm not sure whether to be appalled or turned on.

Well you would 100% be able to handle 20 degrees better than me because I wouldn’t even attempt it. I would imagine I am somewhat acclimated to it more than others. Maybe I am more acclimated to the humidity than the heat. As long as I get out before the sun, I am fine. Although I am absolutely drenched a mile into the run. If I sleep in and try an afternoon run, anything over 5 miles is almost impossible, no matter what pace I’m running at. I just think people have a perception that Floridians enjoy the heat. I hate the heat and humidity just as much as everyone does. I hate it so much, I wake up at 4:30 most mornings just to somewhat avoid it. I sure hope heat training is a thing because I’m ready to enjoy the benefits of it. If anyone is crazy it’s @gianmarco. That guy consistently runs in 90 degree heat. GTFOH
I’m in Atlanta so not quite as bad and definitely not as long but I love the heat.  I’ll take 90 over 50 and I’m with you - wouldn’t even attempt running at 20.

Ok, I'm not expecting to see improvements so early in this, but I also wasn't expecting to see a decrease in performance.

I don't know what to make of it, but my times are getting noticeably slower.  I've run this route I did this morning three times now. It's the least hilly and the temps today were the best conditions I've run in.

7/1 -- 11:30/mile average

7/4 -- 11:38/mile average

7/7 -- 11:49/mile average

That doesn't seem good. I know, small sample, but wtf?
7/10 -- 11:22/mile average (same route)

Worst temp/humidity I've run in so far too.  HR was much better in the beginning and I had faster splits for all but mile 5 today.  I did allow the HR to drift a little higher in the 141-142 range, but overall, definite improvement. 

2 weeks of running this way.  I will say it makes running in this weather much more bearable.  Even with a SI of 172 today (96/76), it honestly wasn't that bad and I felt completely fine at the end of one hour.  And the focus on the HR has also continued to occupy my thoughts on the run which is enjoyable.

Also, the couple times I've gone out in the morning I've gone out completely fasting.  No issues at all.  Weight has also dropped a couple pounds in the last couple of weeks without any other changes.  Today I went from 201 mid day (after lunch) to 195 after the run.

I know a few of you expressed reservations about running this slow and about allowing the HR to be higher.  This may not end up working, but I want to give it 2-3 months to see.  It's an interesting experiment and should shed some light on if it really works or not, especially considering that I typically have a higher HR while working out than most here.  Even if it doesn't get me any faster, hopefully the miles run will serve some future benefit.  It was a little crazy to look at the end of the week and see 36 miles piled up and over 7 hours of work last week. 

I know a few of you expressed reservations about running this slow and about allowing the HR to be higher.  This may not end up working, but I want to give it 2-3 months to see.  It's an interesting experiment and should shed some light on if it really works or not, especially considering that I typically have a higher HR while working out than most here.  Even if it doesn't get me any faster, hopefully the miles run will serve some future benefit.  It was a little crazy to look at the end of the week and see 36 miles piled up and over 7 hours of work last week. 
This.  All of the this.  If you're going to commit to MAF, you have to commit to MAF.  Volume and consistency are king.  Worst case you're building low-stress aerobic volume, which will help going forward.  Best case you respond well and go from 11:22 MAF pace to 9:22 MAF pace in a couple of months.  That would set you up so well for whatever training block you have next.

And if you're interested in the topic (and your words "interesting experiment" makes me think you are), then search the Endurance Planet podcast for MAF, download those dozens of hours of audio, and take them with you on your runs.  

This.  All of the this.  If you're going to commit to MAF, you have to commit to MAF.  Volume and consistency are king.  Worst case you're building low-stress aerobic volume, which will help going forward.  Best case you respond well and go from 11:22 MAF pace to 9:22 MAF pace in a couple of months.  That would set you up so well for whatever training block you have next.

And if you're interested in the topic (and your words "interesting experiment" makes me think you are), then search the Endurance Planet podcast for MAF, download those dozens of hours of audio, and take them with you on your runs.  
I know you and @bushdocda mentioned and linked the podcasts.

I can't do podcasts. Never could. I tried even having one on in the background while on the computer and I completely zone out. But I don't mind reading stuff however long it is. 

I'd rather do this than listen to a podcast.  If you have any links to read, I'd love em.

I don’t know the science behind all this stuff and trust everyone here. I also know running slower equates to running faster down the road. But, I think you are running way too slow. Sometimes HR doesn’t always equal effort. I’d say bump that avg HR up to stay under 150. GL, GB.
BTW, I meant to link this earlier but forgot.

In case you want to read what I'm trying, here you go.

It may not end up working, but I pretty much check every box from the "don't worry if this is happening to you when you start this". 

BTW, I meant to link this earlier but forgot.

In case you want to read what I'm trying, here you go.

It may not end up working, but I pretty much check every box from the "don't worry if this is happening to you when you start this". 
Thanks for the link. I am not questioning the run slower get faster argument. Before my half last October, I thought I wasn’t going to do well because I was only doing slow miles leading up. Although it hasn’t been on purpose, my past 3 months or so of running have been slow miles. I would imagine I have been doing MAF for a few months now without trying to. Keep up the great work, can’t wait to see what you can do if you stick with 30+ miles a week. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I missed how/why you landed on 140 as your target, but Duck is 100% correct.  

I missed how/why you landed on 140 as your target, but Duck is 100% correct.  
I'm 43, so my MAF number is 137. I'm not exactly at 2 years, so I can't add 5 technically. But between being close and knowing I run high in general, I figured 140 was close enough and round enough to work. 

When I asked here, that seemed reasonable and others agreed.

@ChiefD - to add another option to your HM possibilities, I'll be signing up to run this: https://indyhalfmarathon.com/. It's October 5th here in Indy. 

Actually got an email today that I get a special bonus shirt if I finish both that and the full Monumental. Who can pass up an extra special free bonus shirt? 
If I was going to travel, it would probably be for the monumental one. Would love to be there as you cross the finish line for your first full.

Still undecided on what I'm going to do.  I don't think there is any way I could use the Hansen 18 week plan for a half marathon. Every time I think about running SOS workouts in this heat it makes me want to never run again.

So not sure. If I were to decide today, the race of choice would be the half marathon here in KC that made me want to quit forever. I feel like I have some unfinished business there.

@gianmarco i did MAF a few years back. aggravating as all hell to run so much slower than normal... but in the end i ran my fastest, easiest times ever when it came time to race. 

plodding along at what felt like a walk made me insane but it really did help a lot.

I'm still a New Balance guy at heart (Zante Pursuit, 6mm drop), but yesterday I ordered a pair of Escalante Racers just to try....mainly because I liked the limited edition 4th of July colorway:shrug:

I’m in Atlanta so not quite as bad and definitely not as long but I love the heat.  I’ll take 90 over 50 and I’m with you - wouldn’t even attempt running at 20.
I'll be down there to watch the Trials in February.  I'll probably run the half marathon the next day.  We should definitely connect!

If I was going to travel, it would probably be for the monumental one. Would love to be there as you cross the finish line for your first full.

Still undecided on what I'm going to do.  I don't think there is any way I could use the Hansen 18 week plan for a half marathon. Every time I think about running SOS workouts in this heat it makes me want to never run again.

So not sure. If I were to decide today, the race of choice would be the half marathon here in KC that made me want to quit forever. I feel like I have some unfinished business there.
If you're going to half marathon at a time in which you can't avoid SoS in the heat why not try a different plan with less SoS?

@gianmarco i did MAF a few years back. aggravating as all hell to run so much slower than normal... but in the end i ran my fastest, easiest times ever when it came time to race. 

plodding along at what felt like a walk made me insane but it really did help a lot.
I'd forgotten until reviewing running logs recently that I'd done MAF in fall, 2014, though only for six weeks.  That said, I then went into marathon training for Boston 2015.  The training cycle was terrible (a bad cold in early January; a bad ankle issue from mid-Feb until late March) but I still ran a 'normal' Boston time.  :shrug:  It's all about the base?

If you're going to half marathon at a time in which you can't avoid SoS in the heat why not try a different plan with less SoS?
Well, I'll definitely have to do some sort of hybrid plan. But part of me really wanted to try Hansen's half marathon plan to see what kind of gains I could really make on the half. But my body and temperament just won't be able to handle the SOS in the summer.

So in reality I'm leaning on doing the half here in KC but just creating some kind of plan to do as much as Hansen's as possible, albeit a really stripped down version. And then doing the full 18 week Hansen 1/2 marathon plan and train in the winter for a spring half. 

That's whats in my head right now. Would love to do the Carmel full again next spring, but my wife is not on board yet. (on a side note, this is really pissing me off and has contributed to a lot of angst in my head right now. i was feeling awesome after that half PR and ready to move forward with some momentum, but with literally no support from home. but that's a different story. rant over)

Anyhoo, I'm thinking a semi-serious half this fall, then a full on serious-serious half next spring. Then a marathon again. (I may sign up for Chicago this fall for NEXT fall. Otherwise Carmel again in spring of 2021.)

Well, I'll definitely have to do some sort of hybrid plan. But part of me really wanted to try Hansen's half marathon plan to see what kind of gains I could really make on the half. But my body and temperament just won't be able to handle the SOS in the summer.

So in reality I'm leaning on doing the half here in KC but just creating some kind of plan to do as much as Hansen's as possible, albeit a really stripped down version. And then doing the full 18 week Hansen 1/2 marathon plan and train in the winter for a spring half. 

That's whats in my head right now. Would love to do the Carmel full again next spring, but my wife is not on board yet. (on a side note, this is really pissing me off and has contributed to a lot of angst in my head right now. i was feeling awesome after that half PR and ready to move forward with some momentum, but with literally no support from home. but that's a different story. rant over)

Anyhoo, I'm thinking a semi-serious half this fall, then a full on serious-serious half next spring. Then a marathon again. (I may sign up for Chicago this fall for NEXT fall. Otherwise Carmel again in spring of 2021.)
I love that idea.

It's all about the base?
The more I learn about myself and the more I watch others...it's this.  To peak perform you first need the base. Without it you simply won't peak perform. Sure, you may still run a race that hits whatever goal you set for yourself. You're capable of more though. I was always kinda there anyway, but now I don't look at a marathon training plan as 18 weeks.  I think it's more like 25.

EDIT: if I'm gonna say 25 weeks I may as well say 26.2 weeks.

The more I learn about myself and the more I watch others...it's this.  To peak perform you first need the base. Without it you simply won't peak perform. Sure, you may still run a race that hits whatever goal you set for yourself. You're capable of more though. I was always kinda there anyway, but now I don't look at a marathon training plan as 18 weeks.  I think it's more like 25.

EDIT: if I'm gonna say 25 weeks I may as well say 26.2 weeks.
This. Although I’m not training for anything, I was just thinking to myself this morning that this was training for my March marathon. I want to continue building a solid base while avoiding injury in order to be in great shape before the real training starts.

I'd forgotten until reviewing running logs recently that I'd done MAF in fall, 2014, though only for six weeks.  That said, I then went into marathon training for Boston 2015.  The training cycle was terrible (a bad cold in early January; a bad ankle issue from mid-Feb until late March) but I still ran a 'normal' Boston time.  :shrug:  It's all about the base?

On 4/22/2015 at 3:55 PM, tri-man 47 said:

pbm - sweet! You lost some time in the back, but that looks like it was due to the strong start and the effects of the weather. Still, setting a PR at Boston is a huge accomplishment. Way to go!!
Thanks it is amazing to me that you were able run so well coming off of injury. A BQ -12 minutes without a full training cycle, crazy.
Your Boston 2015 is one of the most impressive performances we have seen through the years in this thread. Really speaks to the benefits of consistent running over time, @tri-man 47 is a true BMF.

If it helps the SOS stuff in the half plan is really only for 12 or 13 weeks of the 18 as the first few are still base mileage easy unless you use the advanced.  You could do the speed workout on a mill to avoid the heat as an option perhaps then you’re left with the strength SOS at 10 seconds faster than goal HM pace once a week and a long run that’s not as long as the marathon plan.  😃

I'm still a New Balance guy at heart (Zante Pursuit, 6mm drop), but yesterday I ordered a pair of Escalante Racers just to try....mainly because I liked the limited edition 4th of July colorway:shrug:
I've been running exclusively in Brooks - couple different models - but bought a pair of Hoka's the other day. Only ran in them once and got an annoying blister on my big toe but until then I liked the way they felt. Need a few more runs in them to see how it goes.

Are you talking about butts, too?

@SFBayDuck, haven't seen any of Summit in your posts lately.  All good with the pooch?
Thanks for asking.  He developed a little limp last week, second time he's gone through this in the past few months.  Don't think it's anything serious but I don't want to take him back out on the trails, especially off leash when he runs around like a maniac, until it's been gone for a few days.  So neighborhood walks it is with him for the time being, and hoping he doesn't eat my couch or something with all of his pent-up husky energy.

It's a total time suck for me when I can't combine a run and his morning exercise, made worse now that I'm commuting 90+ minutes away a couple of times a week for the new job.  So it's up early, get a run in, come back and take him for a walk, then hit the road or get to work.  I'm trying to load up this week since I'm going to be in the Cambridge HQ next week, so I did a 2-hour run this morning.  A non-confirmed conference call popped up at 7:30 AM so I stopped and took that.  After a few minutes I realized I was pretty much a passive participant so I started the Garmin back up and kept moving for the rest of the call, slowing my pace to come off mute and chime in a couple of times.  Then it was home to take him out for an hour, taking another call while doing that.  Then back at my desk at 9:30 for another call.  #multitasking

yeah, I'm kind of bummed not to be taking my dog with me on runs lately... just too out out there right now, IMO. I'd be too worried that he'd push it too far. But it's a nice 2.5/3 mile walk from home to the field that we can do a little more controlled frisbee chase. It doesn't take too many sprints to call it a day right now... 

Anybody else notice our boy Steve just dropped a sub-2:30 marathon last weekend?  Rocked 5:27-5:33 paces through mile16, slipped into the 5:40-6:00 range for a couple of miles, then 6:00-6:11 miles from 21 to the finish.  His Strava entry says "the comeback still in progress," hope all is well with the dude.
Yep.  I don't know if he's just not posting all his runs, but if he ran that with only the training he posted, that's insane.

Anybody else notice our boy Steve just dropped a sub-2:30 marathon last weekend?  Rocked 5:27-5:33 paces through mile16, slipped into the 5:40-6:00 range for a couple of miles, then 6:00-6:11 miles from 21 to the finish.  His Strava entry says "the comeback still in progress," hope all is well with the dude.
Wow, these are exactly the same paces I ran my Calgary marathon at.

...in min/km.

Geez.

So...some clarity has emerged. Had a long talk with my wife regarding my next marathon. And so we have agreed that Chicago will be my next marathon the fall of next year (provided I get in, which I should). @Juxtatarot was pretty much already privy to the conversation (it hadn't changed :lol: , as he heard it at Carmel in the spring)

I'll have to train in the mornings during the summer, with my speed work done during cool mornings or on a treadmill (we may be buying one this year). So as discussed with @MAC_32 earlier, I'm really liking this progression:

1. HM this fall.

2. HM in spring with the full 18 week Hansen 1/2 marathon plan. Goal here would be to be at 1:40.

3. Chicago in fall. Goal dependent on the work over the next year. Right now thinking 3:50ish. Should have a great base going into training.

Excited about this plan. What I needed to pull me out of this funk. Apparently running is more important to me than I thought.  :thumbup:

I had scoped out his mile pacing too.  That's just nuts.   Guy is just a beast to bonk to a lethargic 6 minute mile pace. 

So...some clarity has emerged. Had a long talk with my wife regarding my next marathon. And so we have agreed that Chicago will be my next marathon the fall of next year (provided I get in, which I should). @Juxtatarot was pretty much already privy to the conversation (it hadn't changed :lol: , as he heard it at Carmel in the spring)

I'll have to train in the mornings during the summer, with my speed work done during cool mornings or on a treadmill (we may be buying one this year). So as discussed with @MAC_32 earlier, I'm really liking this progression:

1. HM this fall.

2. HM in spring with the full 18 week Hansen 1/2 marathon plan. Goal here would be to be at 1:40.

3. Chicago in fall. Goal dependent on the work over the next year. Right now thinking 3:50ish. Should have a great base going into training.

Excited about this plan. What I needed to pull me out of this funk. Apparently running is more important to me than I thought.  :thumbup:
Love it!

1. HM this fall.

Cool!  I've been thinking about running Chicago in 2020 too.  That would be my debut in the 50+ AG.

Long week of training...

Thur - 2:59, 13.1

Fri - 2:55, 13.1

Sat - 4:15, 13.1, 2827 climb

Here was the reward after getting caught in a 30 minute downpour.  Pace would have been better but I forgot my trail shoes and was slip sliding in my road shoes.

https://imgur.com/TcEylwJ

https://imgur.com/w5rW1f9

https://imgur.com/0ekMDNX

Sun - 1:02 gym; 1:12 walk, 5.0

Mon - Epidural

Tue - 1:34, 9.0

Wed - 2:06, 10.0; 1:50 gym

Thursday - 0:40 bike, 0:50 gym

That was a 63 mile week for me and basically the equilvalent of 100 for most of you.  Unfortunately the epidural seems to have been a about as successful as flushing $450 down the crapper.  Running out of options resolving my back, butt, hip issue.  Tuesday's jog was the fastest in quite some time, but I was basically limping the next morning.  Legs were really tired yesterday, but I did convince myself to go to the gym at 10:30 pm to get some work done.  A lot of the gym work listed is PT exercises, stretching, yoga, rolling, etc.  I haven't figured on the finishing touches for this training cycle, but I'm very excited for taper.

Long week of training...

That was a 63 mile week for me and basically the equilvalent of 100 for most of you.  
And here I'm all giddy that I'm going to be close to a personal best for the year by going over 30 for one of the few times this year once I do my run today and a long one Saturday... and I'm not being shot up with major pain killers to get by...

Usually.  Officially I believe it's the day before Columbus Day which is the second Monday of October.
Dammit.  Figured, but thought it'd be worth asking.

EDIT: probably for the best anyway, peak training into October is > peak training in September.

Nothing quite like logging into strava this morning and first thing I see is a post with a note of "6th straight day of AT LEAST 13.1"... As much as I truly am looking forward to trying out some really long runs in the near future, the idea of doing a HM a day + for a full week straight is mind boggling!

Users who are viewing this thread