What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

An interesting documentary about Vegan athletes for anyone interested. It’s now on Netflix.
http://gamechangersmovie.com/

Also, @gianmarco, sucks what happened with your neighbor, but I was just trying to make a nerve joke with my last post in there. I didn’t have anything serious to donate or contribute to the thread. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, todays easy run felt hard and my knee wasnt feeling good.  Watch kept F'ing up on the HR and killed my music.  Hopefully, all the crap happened today and will be smooth on Sunday.

The Iguana said:
For the first time in a while, I've had to kind of talk myself into going out for my runs this week. I'm fine once out there but something about thinking about going is not exciting. Part of it is just wanting to go do the marathon now and be done with it. Part might just be me turning into a cranky old man. Pretty sure this is going to be a long and painful 3 weeks or so...
Yeah, man, that's part of the deal.  I've felt that way for a couple of weeks now already.

Planning a 16-18 miler tomorrow. Checked the weather and the low is 79 with 82% humidity. I’m still holding out on complaining about weather but 80 degrees at 5 am and we’re almost in November! My half is next weekend and the conditions aren’t much better. 72-75 degrees and 90% humidity. I have a party I’m skipping out on Saturday in order to race that Sunday morning. Seriously considering skipping the race and just enjoying a nice evening with friends. 

Planning a 16-18 miler tomorrow. Checked the weather and the low is 79 with 82% humidity. I’m still holding out on complaining about weather but 80 degrees at 5 am and we’re almost in November! My half is next weekend and the conditions aren’t much better. 72-75 degrees and 90% humidity. I have a party I’m skipping out on Saturday in order to race in the morning. Seriously considering skipping the race and just enjoying a nice evening with friends. 
Do you have another half in your area sometime in November?

Last 20 tomorrow morning.  First five miles at 7:40ish, next five at 7:20s, next five at 7:00s, last five at 6:40s (MPish).

Weather should be near-perfect with temps in the mid-40s and single-digit wind speeds.  Singlet or t-shirt, shorts, gloves, and a headband-type thing (at least to start) to keep the ears warm.

Doing an out-and-back course, so I'm gonna go out tonight and drop water at mile 5/15 and at the turnaround so that I don't have to carry.

Weather should be near-perfect with temps in the mid-40s and single-digit wind speeds.  Singlet or t-shirt, shorts, gloves, and a headband-type thing (at least to start) to keep the ears warm.
Good luck, I bet you won't need the gloves after 5.

I bet I'll keep them on the whole time.  My hands are always cold.  I think I might have a mild case of Raynaud's.
huh... just googled this. I kind of have that problem or something similar. Mentioned something about my hands/fingers doing that during my HM recently and they often do it other times too - finger tips will "fall asleep"/be tingly and will turn white/blue. Never been serious but kind of freaks me out sometimes. Never googled it before, however. 

Another note - somewhere in this part I realized that something funky was up with my HR. No way was it really going down like that. It kind of freaks me out a little to think about as I'm not really sure what all was going on. Some may have been the watch, but some may have been a circulation issue with me. A lot of this was in shaded woods on paved trails. My arms were a little cold and my hands had a little bit of a "tingle" link when you get cold. It wasn't that cold out there but I knew something was up. I felt fine so figured it was mostly about the watch - I hope that's true but not really sure. 
bump. I would hope it wasn't enough that it was really affecting the pulse all the way up to my wrist, but my hands were definitely cold and my fingers had the "tingle" and were somewhat discolored.

huh... just googled this. I kind of have that problem or something similar. Mentioned something about my hands/fingers doing that during my HM recently and they often do it other times too - finger tips will "fall asleep"/be tingly and will turn white/blue. Never been serious but kind of freaks me out sometimes. Never googled it before, however. 
That happens with my dong in cold weather. 

bump. I would hope it wasn't enough that it was really affecting the pulse all the way up to my wrist, but my hands were definitely cold and my fingers had the "tingle" and were somewhat discolored.
Just hiking with poles is enough to screw up my wrist-based heart reading.  The only way I get an accurate HR is to run with nothing in my hands or use my chest strap.

Just hiking with poles is enough to screw up my wrist-based heart reading.  The only way I get an accurate HR is to run with nothing in my hands or use my chest strap.
I was just running with nothing in my hands. Never had an issue like that before or since (so far) - including last winter. For now, that was a truly one-off experience for me. If you look at my HR info from the HM, it is truly bizarre. All looks relatively normal through about 5 miles. Then there's this weird drop for a bit and then bounce back up during mile 6. From the end of mile 6 to the end, it just keeps reading a little lower and a little lower and a little lower until the end. 

I talked to the guy that is the president and one of the founders of Noxgear today. I filled out a survey when buying the vest and they set up a call. Pretty neat guy. The 2 guys that started the company are a pair of engineers that play/played? ultimate Frisbee and that was the original motivation for creating the vests. They then started marketing/selling them to runners and cyclists and such. That was kind of cool. 

JShare87 said:
Thanks for the link. Ordered.
Lol. I have a couple pairs of similar, but not as warm gloves. I think I wore them for the duration of a run like twice last winter. 

Remind me - what's the "safe" increase in mileage for a week? 

Left ankle is bothering me a bit in the mornings or when I walk downstairs but otherwise I'm feeling fine. 

50 miles the last couple weeks, this week over 100km. 20% seems like too big a jump but so far it's okay. 

Next week I'll bump it back down, with 3 weeks until a local HM (same day as in Indy marathon). I'm not "racing" the half but the goal is to beat my 16yo nephew as he runs the monumental half.

Remind me - what's the "safe" increase in mileage for a week? 

Left ankle is bothering me a bit in the mornings or when I walk downstairs but otherwise I'm feeling fine. 

50 miles the last couple weeks, this week over 100km. 20% seems like too big a jump but so far it's okay. 

Next week I'll bump it back down, with 3 weeks until a local HM (same day as in Indy marathon). I'm not "racing" the half but the goal is to beat my 16yo nephew as he runs the monumental half.
10% per week.

But, for someone at your level that's had high mileage weeks, I don't think it'd be as big of a deal.  I think you're experienced enough to essentially "listen to your body". 

10% per week.

But, for someone at your level that's had high mileage weeks, I don't think it'd be as big of a deal.  I think you're experienced enough to essentially "listen to your body". 
Fair enough. Without biking or swimming, my weekly time put in training isn't increasing, just the impact on the legs including joints.  Zone 2 is getting hard on the legs even if my time isn't great - so that's just fatigue, which is the whole point, right? 

Get some this weekend gents!  :towelwave:

gruecd said:
Last 20 tomorrow morning.  First five miles at 7:40ish, next five at 7:20s, next five at 7:00s, last five at 6:40s (MPish).

Nailed it. First 5 at 7:38 avg, next 5 at 7:20, next 5 at 6:59, last 5 at 6:44. Got a little dicey heading uphill around mile 16-17, but I was able to pull it together heading back downhill to the finish, going 6:42/6:39/6:36 for miles 18-20.

Very much looking forward now to the taper.

And whoever said it was right...definitely didn't wear the headband. 45° to start, went singlet, shorts, and gloves (which I wore the whole time).

Despite some sound advice to the contrary (which I very much took to heart and considered carefully), after the way 22 went last week and my 16 went this morning, and assuming we get good weather, I have set my mind to go out with the 3:40 pacer. I feel very good about this. Going to hope I feel like beating him by a smidge in the last couple of miles but I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen. 

#beatgrue

:boxing:

Get you some @xulf. Can’t wait to see you kick ### tomorrow.

And for @gianmarco‘s better half, when things feel rough, think of Harvey the Hickory. Kick ### For Harvey!  :headbang:

#KAFH

Users who are viewing this thread