What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

:lmao:   You have to order in centimeters or something?

I don't understand how it works.  All i know is that without it I have severe lower left back, glute, and some hip pain.  Glute almost feels like a nerve going numb.  Don't have the hammy issue so much, but the left leg occasionally goes numb.   Survived 80 miles twice using it when I couldn't go 5 without it.  PT, shots, Chiro all failed before I tried this.

When i bought it I figured it would be snake oil.
Nah, Amazon.ca doesn't have the same products as .com, unfortunately.  

But I ordered it.  At CAD28 bucks, worth a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

If you have any belly meat like me, it serves as a nice way to hold it in and hide it.

It will be 24 degrees outside.

i don’t like treadmills.

it interferes with my morning food intake plan.

I'm not sure I’m a believer of it either.  😳
I have doubts about it having an impact outside of stimulating the morning plumbing at that distance. You don't need to wake up your legs, so everything is firing at the gun. If anything I think the opposite is preferred, so you don't start out too fast. 

Have I mentioned lately that the waiting is killing me? 41 hours!

Also, too late if you decide to do a last minute entry, @ChiefD or @gianmarco, unless you already snuck in:

"FIRST TIME IN EVENT HISTORY: ALL DISTANCES SOLD OUT!"

:kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been thinking about @The Iguana and his first marathon lately. And also the time goals and plan he has set to line up with the 3:40 pacer. 

So what we know is his best time for a half is 1:38:22.

So basically 98 minutes. If you take the 2.2 multiplier, for the marathon that puts him at basically 216 minutes. So a 3:36 marathon. 

If you take a 2.27 multiplier (this is what mine was, and we all know I am slow), that puts him at about a 3:43. So in my opinion, he is within range of a 3:40 goal. So what the heck, line up at 3:40 and see how it feels.

The marathoners in here know it's not that easy. But so far, Iguana HAS made it look pretty easy and natural. Dude has running talent and has passed the test so far.

I would just say to him - be smart. Make sure your nutrition and hydration is spot on the next couple days and especially on race day. Don't neglect nutrition and hydration early on because it is going easy. THIS IS THE TIME TO TAKE NUTRITION AND HYDRATE.

Have fun boss - I know we are all rooting for you to crush this race.

I've been thinking about @The Iguana and his first marathon lately. And also the time goals and plan he has set to line up with the 3:40 pacer. 

So what we know is his best time for a half is 1:38:22.

So basically 98 minutes. If you take the 2.2 multiplier, for the marathon that puts him at basically 216 minutes. So a 3:36 marathon. 

If you take a 2.27 multiplier (this is what mine was, and we all know I am slow), that puts him at about a 3:43. So in my opinion, he is within range of a 3:40 goal. So what the heck, line up at 3:40 and see how it feels.

The marathoners in here know it's not that easy. But so far, Iguana HAS made it look pretty easy and natural. Dude has running talent and has passed the test so far.

I would just say to him - be smart. Make sure your nutrition and hydration is spot on the next couple days and especially on race day. Don't neglect nutrition and hydration early on because it is going easy. THIS IS THE TIME TO TAKE NUTRITION AND HYDRATE.

Have fun boss - I know we are all rooting for you to crush this race.
Too late, the 3:40 bandwagon has left.  Get back in line with the RS:BAP crew.  If you are wondering where @The Iguana and Bass are when the clock ticks 3:45, we'll be down the street drinking a beer in celebration of his 3:37.

I have doubts about it having an impact outside of stimulating the morning plumbing at that distance. You don't need to wake up your legs, so everything is firing at the gun. If anything I think the opposite is preferred, so you don't start out too fast. 
Starting to think more along these line. 

My son, who turns 22 next month, has decided he wants to train for a marathon. When he was 17, he ran a 1:27 half marathon in the middle of his cross country season. He was in very good shape then though hadn't done much long distance training at all. He seems to be built for longer distances and I'm thinking he could probably run close to a 3:05 marathon with a really good training cycle.

It turns out he was harboring a hope of running a marathon this spring that would qualify him for Boston 2021. I think that all ended when he looked up qualifying times and realized he might well have to run a 2:55 to be assured of entry (that's BQ -5 for age 34 and under). The qualifying times really do seem to get a lot easier once you hit 40. Sorry, kid! Though I hope this doesn't dissuade him from still trying a Marathon - would like to see what kind of time he could post.

I'm still plugging away. Since mid-August, down 23 lbs. (to 183) as of this morning. Really want to lose 5-8 more before I shift my focus from base building and fat burning to getting faster. Even so, my cruising pace once I'm warmed has dropped from around 9:00 pace to 8:30. Still kicking around the idea of starting to train for a mid-April marathon myself but that will depend on how the next month goes.

Hopefully you ordered, or have, a large tub of body glide.  I'd worry that the, uh, friction points from that contraption would create some serious chafing.  

So here we go.....

My plan for Indy.  This training cycle has been sporadic at best.  It started a bit before I went backpacking in July. I threw down back to back 100 mile weeks to prepare for no running for two weeks while backpacking (second half of July).  I got back from backpacking and tried to ramp up training preparing for Chicago marathon and quickly got derailed.  I wasn't able to hit paces for anything.  I was a mess physically and mentally.

I took 10 days pretty much off and started to lift during that time.  I did a 13 mile week spread over 4-5 runs which for me is probably my lowest week of running in several years. 

By the time late August came along, I had ramped back up and started my training.  It was too late to pull things together for Chicago (early October), so i started to look for a race a bit later.  I saw that @gruecd and @The Iguana would be doing Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis.   I knew it was a fast course and a friend of mine's husband actually founded this race 20 years ago.  So I decided to sign up.

My training has been a bit abbreviated. I did a bit of lifting...but wish I could have done more.  I did a fair amount of running....but wish I could have done more. 

These last couple weeks have been stressful with work and I am currently traveling for work in Atlanta.  Traveling does take a lot of energy out of me, so I worry about that impact on me for race day.

My PR is 3:15:00.  My BQ time (as a 50 year old) is 3:25....so I really need 3:20 to feel comfortable about Boston for 2021.

I've thought a lot about how to approach this race given the cold, flat, and my training.  I've only negative split one of my races (pacing doesn't count). It was in Philadelphia when I ran Philadelphia marathon with @Ned.  My goal was 3:30 that day and I ran a 3:29:11. 

I have decided I will run the first section of the race with the 3:20 pacer. This will allow me to warm up in the cold and hopefully not tax my body too much. After 4 miles with that group, I will leave them and pick up the pace in search of the 3:15 pacer.  I am projecting I'll catch the 3:15 pacer at around mile 14 (obviously depends on that individual's pacing). I'll reset with them and run with the 3:15 group for 3 miles.  Leaving them around mile 16-17 and trying to go get that PR.  I have put together a pacing plan that has me tracking for a 2 minute PR.  I'm honestly not sure I can pull it off, but I wanted to give myself a goal to strive for.

Below is my race band which is what I'll be using during the race.  So you will be able to see if I'm on track or not.  I'll admit I have a bad feeling about this race. It doesn't seem like my body doesn't feel strong/fast.  But I'll try to be positive and I'm going to go for it.  I'm not flying halfway across the country to run a 3:24, so I'm gonna leave it all out there and try to PR.

Mile                  Pace                    Overall

1                        7:45                      7:45

2                        7:35                      15:20

3                        7:35                      22:55

4                        7:35                      30:30

5                        7:25                      37:55

6                        7:18                      45:13

7                        7:18                      52:31

8                        7:18                      59:49

9                        7:18                   1:07:07

10                      7:18                   1:14:25

11                      7:15                   1:21:40

12                      7:18                   1:28:58

13                      7:18                   1:36:16

14                      7:25                   1:43:41

15                      7:26                   1:51:07

16                      7:26                   1:58:33

17                      7:17                   2:05:50

18                      7:17                   2:13:07

19                      7:15                   2:20:22

20                      7:17                   2:27:39

21                      7:17                   2:34:56

22                      7:17                   2:42:12

23                      7:17                   2:49:29

24                      7:15                   2:56:44

25                      7:15                   3:03:59

26                      7:26                   3:11:25

26.2                   7:01                   3:12:58

If you want to track me, you can go here.  My last name is Rinehart.... Bib number is 5403

My plan for Indy.  This training cycle has been sporadic at best.  It started a bit before I went backpacking in July. I threw down back to back 100 mile weeks to prepare for no running for two weeks while backpacking (second half of July).  I got back from backpacking and tried to ramp up training preparing for Chicago marathon and quickly got derailed.  I wasn't able to hit paces for anything.  I was a mess physically and mentally.

I took 10 days pretty much off and started to lift during that time.  I did a 13 mile week spread over 4-5 runs which for me is probably my lowest week of running in several years. 

By the time late August came along, I had ramped back up and started my training.  It was too late to pull things together for Chicago (early October), so i started to look for a race a bit later.  I saw that @gruecd and @The Iguana would be doing Monumental Marathon in Indianapolis.   I knew it was a fast course and a friend of mine's husband actually founded this race 20 years ago.  So I decided to sign up.

My training has been a bit abbreviated. I did a bit of lifting...but wish I could have done more.  I did a fair amount of running....but wish I could have done more. 

These last couple weeks have been stressful with work and I am currently traveling for work in Atlanta.  Traveling does take a lot of energy out of me, so I worry about that impact on me for race day.

But I'll try to be positive
:rolleyes:

If nothing else, as you move ahead of the 3:20 pacer, you can shadow @The Iguana and let him be a wind block for you since he's about 7' tall or something.  

@tri-man 47 - you salty old dog.  :lmao:

For those of you on Facebook, the Elk Institute loaded some pictures of the runners who I presume participated in the fundraising for the Marine Corp Marathon.

They posted a few group shots, and there is a pic of our old guy himself with a not so subtle sideways glance at the Elk Institute founder.  :wub:

Laughing my ### off here.  :lol:

For those of you on Facebook, the Elk Institute loaded some pictures of the runners who I presume participated in the fundraising for the Marine Corp Marathon.

They posted a few group shots, and there is a pic of our old guy himself with a not so subtle sideways glance at the Elk Institute founder.  :wub:

Yes, the runners, a couple of Institute Board members, and a few veterans (couple shots of CWO Bob Pennington signing copies of the CD cover of our copies of the movie 12 Strong).  And yes, shots of me receiving a bottle of Pennington's Horse Soldier bourbon (as mentioned, the cover plate fashioned with a mold made from metal from the World Trade Center) and getting a nice hug from the founder.  I'd requested a pic of she and I, which is in there.  It took a number of shots with first an iPhone then someone's good camera to get a quality pic, which means we had to snuggle together a number of times for that pic.  Trying to talk her into an ultra so we can advance to foot rubs.  

Forget the founder. What about the blonde in the black Elk Institute t-shirt and gray blazer?! 

Playlist finalized. Bringing it home...

“No Limit” - G-Eazy

”Over” - Drake

“Forever” - Drake, Kanye, Lil Wayne, & Em

”Put On” - Jeezy & Kanye

“I’m Me” - Lil Wayne

”The Way I Am” - Em

”‘Til I Collapse” - Em

”Lose Yourself” - Em

:boxing:

Playlist finalized. Bringing it home...

“No Limit” - G-Eazy

”Over” - Drake

“Forever” - Drake, Kanye, Lil Wayne, & Em

”Put On” - Jeezy & Kanye

“I’m Me” - Lil Wayne

”The Way I Am” - Em

”‘Til I Collapse” - Em

”Lose Yourself” - Em

:boxing:
About 95% sure I'm not wearing my headphones.

Man, big weekend around here:

@pbm107

@SteelCurtain

@The Iguana

@gruecd

Run fast: don't be a pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayy!!!!!!!!

NYC Marathon

5:16:15 Overall, considering I wasn’t able to train since the first weekend in Sep, I didn’t do horribly.

Leading up to the race:

-when training fell off after my foot/ankle issues I didn't handle it well mentally. While I had been monitoring my weight and limiting my beer intake before the issue, after it flared I really DGAF. The disappointment of not being able to train slipped into the mildest of depression and I ate and drank what ever I wanted in the moment... gaining unwanted weight.  I really wasn't concerned with finishing the marathon... it's just running and during a race my mind is pretty well callused from a decade's +  worth of 100 mile mountain bike finishes. 

-I’m sold on the Hanson plan, it follows a similar structure to my mountain bike coaches’ plan when 100 mile MTB races were my jam.  I had good results with the MTB plan, but I got worn down pretty quickly...FFWD to Hanson, low and behold, this plan wore me down pretty quickly. I would do better with a more frequent rest weeks.   

Race Day

-330A wake up. 445A arrival to the running shop for the bus. 645A arrival in charity village. 11A start. I could’ve done some more races to get a better wave, in the end it worked out.

-I brought a camping pillow/poncho/emergency blanket and was thinking I was the #### until I saw the person who brought a long blow up pool float to lay on. 

-UCAN at 1030A and mile 8 (sipping while I ran) caffeinated Gel around 18 and 22 Happy with that. Would've been excellent had I been able to race trying to break 4.  

-started with headphones listened to 1 song (I left the cell signal on my apple watch and the combo of cell saturation and poor signal zonked my battery) handed everything to my family at 8. 

-Started over the verrazano real easy as I planned. Watch pacing was wonky and I ran faster than I wanted to on the downside of the bridge. I’ll pick up a footpod if I ever do another long race.

-First friend at 3.5 last friend around 24. Buffalo Trace handup at 20. Saw my family 8 14 19 24

-12/14 miles is when my foot/ankle started feeling less than stellar... race really got my attn at about 14.  

-Queensboro Bridge is where my lack of training the weeks prior started to rear its ugly head.  

-20 is when the murmur in my IT band started barking really FCKN loudly. (during training I grapevined to stretch it out … that wasn’t an option with the issues) I stopped to stretch a good many times that last 10k.

-once I was in the park I was focused on breathing into my aches (using the eastern/yoga philosophy) and found a little pace. (why the EFF hadn't I done that earlier) 

-a dude started measuring me up with a couple hundred yards to go. He didn’t have a chance.  I may be slow overweight and suffering, but I'm not giving it up like it's prom night...   YAY, RACING FOR 41,701st place.  

post race thoughts

-to survive the race I went with Kinvara X, high compression/low cushion socks, 5 strips of KT tape and FP gamechangers. I liked the Kinvara in the first half while I was running not as much during the jogging/surviving I did during the second half.    

-tights felt like the right choice all day except when I stopped at medical and stretched and they offered to rub me down with biofreeze.  

-I gave 100s of high fives, and tried to smile all day. I asked lots of medical people what flavor their vaseline was, and got some laughs.   

-in prep for the race trying to find the best combination I used 5 different insoles with a couple pairs of shoes. Currex, superfeet, sole thin, FP Gamechangers, and another I can’t recall.   The Gamechangers, an over the counter heat molded custom that has really excellent shock absorption was really the star.  I’ll be picking up a pair for my snowboard boots. 

-really special having my sisters in town cheering me on 

2020:

-More bikes in 2020... I've already signed up for my first bike event, Raputista in April, in north east VT. 24 hour MTB race in NH in the late summer. a bunch of other events where I can meetup with bike friends.

-I'll heading back to strength training shortly to correct some imbalances.

-I'll be snowboarding in the northeast all winter and telluride in the spring. 

-I'll do the occasional running race... and run the local hills with friends. I still need to find a turkey trot that'll work with my families schedule for the day. 

Next year is the 50th anniversary of NYC, I’ve toyed with the idea…  My wife is questioning my sanity and asking my why.  I feel like I have some unfinished business, I really feel like sub 4 was in my grasp if I was able to continue my training.

I'm grateful for the support and what I've learned from this group.  HUGE thanks.  Y'all are some BMF. 

NYC Marathon

5:16:15 Overall, considering I wasn’t able to train since the first weekend in Sep, I didn’t do horribly.

Leading up to the race:

-when training fell off after my foot/ankle issues I didn't handle it well mentally. While I had been monitoring my weight and limiting my beer intake before the issue, after it flared I really DGAF. The disappointment of not being able to train slipped into the mildest of depression and I ate and drank what ever I wanted in the moment... gaining unwanted weight.  I really wasn't concerned with finishing the marathon... it's just running and during a race my mind is pretty well callused from a decade's +  worth of 100 mile mountain bike finishes. 

-I’m sold on the Hanson plan, it follows a similar structure to my mountain bike coaches’ plan when 100 mile MTB races were my jam.  I had good results with the MTB plan, but I got worn down pretty quickly...FFWD to Hanson, low and behold, this plan wore me down pretty quickly. I would do better with a more frequent rest weeks.   

Race Day

-330A wake up. 445A arrival to the running shop for the bus. 645A arrival in charity village. 11A start. I could’ve done some more races to get a better wave, in the end it worked out.

-I brought a camping pillow/poncho/emergency blanket and was thinking I was the #### until I saw the person who brought a long blow up pool float to lay on. 

-UCAN at 1030A and mile 8 (sipping while I ran) caffeinated Gel around 18 and 22 Happy with that. Would've been excellent had I been able to race trying to break 4.  

-started with headphones listened to 1 song (I left the cell signal on my apple watch and the combo of cell saturation and poor signal zonked my battery) handed everything to my family at 8. 

-Started over the verrazano real easy as I planned. Watch pacing was wonky and I ran faster than I wanted to on the downside of the bridge. I’ll pick up a footpod if I ever do another long race.

-First friend at 3.5 last friend around 24. Buffalo Trace handup at 20. Saw my family 8 14 19 24

-12/14 miles is when my foot/ankle started feeling less than stellar... race really got my attn at about 14.  

-Queensboro Bridge is where my lack of training the weeks prior started to rear its ugly head.  

-20 is when the murmur in my IT band started barking really FCKN loudly. (during training I grapevined to stretch it out … that wasn’t an option with the issues) I stopped to stretch a good many times that last 10k.

-once I was in the park I was focused on breathing into my aches (using the eastern/yoga philosophy) and found a little pace. (why the EFF hadn't I done that earlier) 

-a dude started measuring me up with a couple hundred yards to go. He didn’t have a chance.  I may be slow overweight and suffering, but I'm not giving it up like it's prom night...   YAY, RACING FOR 41,701st place.  

post race thoughts

-to survive the race I went with Kinvara X, high compression/low cushion socks, 5 strips of KT tape and FP gamechangers. I liked the Kinvara in the first half while I was running not as much during the jogging/surviving I did during the second half.    

-tights felt like the right choice all day except when I stopped at medical and stretched and they offered to rub me down with biofreeze.  

-I gave 100s of high fives, and tried to smile all day. I asked lots of medical people what flavor their vaseline was, and got some laughs.   

-in prep for the race trying to find the best combination I used 5 different insoles with a couple pairs of shoes. Currex, superfeet, sole thin, FP Gamechangers, and another I can’t recall.   The Gamechangers, an over the counter heat molded custom that has really excellent shock absorption was really the star.  I’ll be picking up a pair for my snowboard boots. 

2020:

-More bikes in 2020... I've already signed up for my first bike event, Raputista in April, in north east VT. 24 hour MTB race in NH in the late summer. a bunch of other events where I can meetup with bike friends.

-I'll heading back to strength training shortly to correct some imbalances.

-I'll be snowboarding in the northeast all winter and telluride in the spring. 

-I'll do the occasional running race... and run the local hills with friends. I still need to find a turkey trot that'll work with my families schedule for the day. 

Next year is the 50th anniversary of NYC, I’ve toyed with the idea…  My wife is questioning my sanity and asking my why.  I feel like I have some unfinished business, I really feel like sub 4 was in my grasp if I was able to continue my training.

I'm grateful for the support and what I've learned from this group.  HUGE thanks.  Y'all are some BMF. 
Awesome job gutting your way through that race.

I know your pop would be proud of you. Nice job.  :thumbup:

with temps in the 20s.
With temps like this and your proclivity for running in the cold, you're going to be ON FIRE!

Wait, that sounds good, but doesn't make sense.

With temps like this you're going to be SO COOL!

Hmm, that doesn't sound very badass.

With temps like this you're going to be THE ICEMAN!

I like that.

Go kick some ###, @gruecd.  There will be two of you out there who will #BeatGrue.  @The Iguana will #BeatGrue from a number of years ago, and you're going to #BeatGrue from one year ago.  Kicking your former self's ###.  Like some kind of Marty McFly.  But taller.  And way more #BMFier.

So, since I forget things rather easy, can you racers post your goal times again? The ones I think I know:

@gruecd: A goal:  2:56-2:57 B goal:  sub-2:59:25 (PR) C goal:  sub-3

@SteelCurtain : sub 3:13. Current PR is 3:15:00. Boston Marathon qualifier goal: 3:20:00 (cushion for 3:25:00)

@pbm107: sub 1:23:23. Would be a PR

@The Iguana: sub 3:00, which would be a PR. Actually 3:40:00.  :headbang:

Edited for pbm.

Edited for grue.

Edited for iguana.

Users who are viewing this thread