What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (11 Viewers)

Ok, being the social planner, here's what we've got so far for Jack and Jill in July, 2020.

-- @gianmarco

-- Mrs. @gianmarco (because she doesn't know it yet)

-- @JShare87 (because he promised he'd come run it with me if I did this)

-- @gruecd (because he's never been to Washington and needs to pace my wife for BQ)

-- @bushdocda (because he has to visit a friend and just decided when he should go)

-- @ChiefD (because he needs to BQ for 2021 before he gets too old)
:popcorn:

It’s a lot but the HM training will get you fit AF and you could race, recover, couple easy weeks and pick up the marathon plan wherever you are and make it work IMO.  That half training is no joke but nice thing is it will make goal marathon pace seem easier.  
Yep

Pretty sure it works both ways

Somewhat similar to what I’m doing now. Why not run the April marathon as a long training run? That way you can get your BQ in Washington with the rest of the crew!
Steve just did that at the Rock & Roll marathon in Vegas, used it as a long training run.

He came in third  :eek:

Ok, being the social planner, here's what we've got so far for Jack and Jill in July, 2020.

-- @gianmarco

-- Mrs. @gianmarco (because she doesn't know it yet)

-- @JShare87 (because he promised he'd come run it with me if I did this)

-- @gruecd (because he's never been to Washington and needs to pace my wife for BQ)

-- @bushdocda (because he has to visit a friend and just decided when he should go)

-- @ChiefD (because he needs to BQ for 2021 before he gets too old)
If we are doing this, they run the race both Saturday and another on Sunday.  Wouldn't matter for us which day.  Which day is better for anyone considering doing this?

Jack and Jill info

This Jack & Jill thing is starting to reach critical mass.  So much so, that I might need to join you guys and have @ChiefD pace me.  He's the perfect pacer for me.  We can compare #### stories, map-out our portapotty strategy together, and have an empathetic ear when we #### ourselves on the course.

There's no way I'm letting @gruecd pace me.  His walking pace would make me beg for mercy.

This Jack & Jill thing is starting to reach critical mass.  So much so, that I might need to join you guys and have @ChiefD pace me.  He's the perfect pacer for me.  We can compare #### stories, map-out our portapotty strategy together, and have an empathetic ear when we #### ourselves on the course.

There's no way I'm letting @gruecd pace me.  His walking pace would make me beg for mercy.
Sure, pick the slow guy. Thanks jerk.

As an aside, is the proliferation of downhill marathons making BQs even harder and harder?  To the point that for slow schmucks like me, you almost have to run a downhill marathon if you want to BQ?  Because everyone else is, and thus "inflating" the qualifying times?  Imagine if Boston didn't accept downhill marathons for BQ times, what would the BQ times be?  Would they be slower?

Downhill marathons kind of feel like cheating to me.  Even if I PR'd it, I'd put an asterisk beside the time and perhaps not even count it on my Strava record book.  

As an aside, it is quite a good feeling updating one's fastest times in the Strava record book.  Even though I didn't hit the time I wanted in Vegas, updating that official PR in Strava was nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half marathon is out.  Rain/snow forecast for Saturday night into Sunday morning.  Not trying to drive 2 hours to race in that.  New PR will have to wait.

As an aside, is the proliferation of downhill marathons making BQs even harder and harder?  To the point that for slow schmucks like me, you almost have to run a downhill marathon if you want to BQ?  Because everyone else is, and thus "inflating" the qualifying times?  Imagine if Boston didn't accept downhill marathons for BQ times, what would the BQ times be?  Would they be slower?

Downhill marathons kind of feel like cheating to me.  Even if I PR'd it, I'd put an asterisk beside the time and perhaps not even count it on my Strava record book.  

As an aside, it is quite a good feeling updating one's fastest times in the Strava record book.  Even though I didn't hit the time I wanted in Vegas, updating that official PR in Strava was nice.
I don’t know much about the history of this but the Revel races do seem to really amplify the downhill and sell it. Those feel a bit gimmicky and extreme. Fast net downhill courses don’t bother me on the whole though. 

As people said to me before I ran this, a marathon is still 26.2 miles of suffering. While I’m sure the times may be faster, this was no cake walk. Other challenges pop-up in a downhill marathon that you wouldn’t otherwise have to deal with (leg fatigue). After running 2 marathons, one downhill and one flat, I’d prefer the flat one for a PR attempt. Also, the downhill this course provides isn’t that noticeable while you’re running. That is until you hit mile 20 and your quads cannot function properly.

Fall Classic Half Marathon

I don’t think I’ve ever woken up before my alarm raceday. I don’t know if it was a product of race morning or I just had enough sleep, but I woke at 5:30 and quickly realized that was it for sleep. So I turned off the 6:15 alarm and got the morning started earlier than anticipated. I altered the order of events (eating, coffee, eroticism, scrolling, #### #1, shower, etc.), but other than that the only real noteworthy item was my being hungrier than usual. Ever since I started IF this summer I don’t eat much before noon nor do I really want to, but not this morning. I imagine it was due to my eating my large meal (salmon and rice) the day before at 2 pm, but I was very happy I packed contingency food rather than just what I usually eat. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best confirmed! So I mowed down a couple of clementines and some nuts on the drive in addition to my egg and banana breakfast, apple, and pre-race pretzels.

I got to the site and couldn’t help but laugh at the conditions as I walked to the start/finish area. The road was a sheet of ice. I parked at the top of a small hill (50’) and just kinda skated down into the valley. Once down I made a mental note to be sure to check the updated hourly when I got back to my car after the warm-up to see if ice may be a problem during the race. After emerging from the porto potty and began jogging a smile crept up on my face a quarter mile into the warm-up as I turned to the south and was greeted by a giant yellow object in the sky. I looked to the west and saw nothing but blue behind it – the clouds are clearing out before we start this thing, can’t ask for much better conditions - 30, sunny, and the wind was just crisp/not breezy. I get back to the car to change into racing gear and get as warm as possible before the gun. I find myself with an extra few minutes after I check the hourly weather and respond to a few texts, so I pop into the 10K thread for some early morning laughs. I wasn’t ready for a photo of a couple of dum dum’s though. Erupted in laughter so loudly the young hottie in the car next to me looked over to see what the hell I was cackling about. Thanks, fellas.

I finally leave the warm, friendly confines of my car 15 minutes before the gun then upon jogging down the still icy hill and seeing the porto potty line decide to take a trip down memory lane - 'I was running a bit late...and then I saw the line for the bathroom. Oops. Well, it's ten minutes to the gun and there's no way I can get through this line...so, plan b. It was cold and those I knew coming to watch weren't coming til either halfway or the end, so I wore these old sweat pants that I planned to dump at the start line and if I couldn't find them afterwards - oh well. Instead, they were used as tp. I jogged out of the woods after I took care of business and slid into line about five-seven rows back literally ten seconds before the gun. Never been more proud of myself.' I only needed a race nerves #1 this time and (un?)fortunately someone responsibly took care of those sweatpants I left behind 4 years ago. I’d feel bad if I weren’t such an ### hole. So I walk to the line and settle in about 5 minutes before the start. Wired up, dum dum in mouth, and hoodie ready to dump on the side of the road – exact same attire as 2 weeks ago. All black (tank, shorts, gloves, compression socks, and shoes) with a green headband. LFG!!!

Mile 1 (6:01)

In typical fashion, I started off way too fast as I looked down a quarter mile in and saw 5:24. If you pull up the run on a desktop you can pinpoint the moment I looked down. A few seconds later I found my first ice patch too. It was just an awkward step, but a gentle reminder that I need to pay attention to this stuff today. So a not surprisingly bumpy start, but things begin to go smoothly from there.

Miles 2 and 3 (6:04/6:06)

As I settle into my race strategy of surging the first minute or so of a mile then back it off before a ¾ mile check I realize I’m not going to have to. I get passed by a pack of 7, including a nice big red wedgie. Eye candy and I don’t need to worry about pacing myself as it’s clear they’re going out at hour 20 pace and will take care of it for me. So I settle in about 2 strides behind the pack of rabbits.

Miles 4, 5, and 6 (6:06/6:08/6:11)

Unfortunately the pack slowly deteriorates and the wedgie was the first to drop out. Only two of us, myself and backwards hat, remained in mile 6 as we joined in with the slower 5K runners (5K started 15 minutes after us). I knew this was coming as I have done this race before, but it’s still a bit challenging mentally dancing around slower 5Ker’s. I kept my eyes on backwards hat and used him as an offensive lineman, which mostly worked but there were a couple of times the holes were filled by the time I got to them and I had to improvise. As we approached the halfway point I noticed I was feeling quite warm and thought that along with the 5Ker’s may have contributed to the slower 6th mile. As a test I took my gloves off and decided if my hands didn’t feel too cold by the time I got around to my hoodie at 6.7 I’d dump them there.

Miles 7, 8, and 9 (6:06/6:13/6:11)

I dumped the gloves, popped a couple chews, passed backwards hat, and thought I was back on track with my 6:06 7th mile. I knew I needed to go back to my original strategy at this point as I had lost my rabbits though. I surged the beginning of the mile, did a check to see 5:XX at about a quarter mile, backed it off, would check back at ¾ mile and see 6:10 or so, wait 30 seconds or so, then surge again until checking again at the next quarter mile. I was still seeing 5:XX at the quarter mile checks, but I was aware of the slower splits. I knew miles 10 and 11 would tell the story as I was confident I could channel my 5K technique if I got there on pace, but I could not open things up sooner or I thought I would blow up.

Miles 10 and 11 (6:23/6:24)

Well, ####. I didn’t feel like I was going slower, but time’s don’t lie. I sustained the same technique, but I was clearly not moving my feet as quickly nor covering as much ground with my strides. I briefly thought about going to the 5K technique early, but juice vs. squeeze – likelihood of sustaining it for 4 miles was not good and even if I was able I don’t think it’d be enough to get the A goal. Plus I still had a B goal. So let’s get that. I popped my final couple chews and maintained the same strategy - surge to a quarter mile, back it off til ¾ mile, then finish that mile strong and surge into the next one. The time’s were just about 15-20 seconds slower than early in the race.

Mile 12 (6:25)

I was actually happy to see someone pass me as I approached this mile, but…he blew by me. It was way too brisk to use him as a rabbit. I went with him for about a minute anyway, but that light headed vomit feeling came over me and I was reminded about this happening 2 weeks ago. We were way too far out from the finish to consider this devil’s dance, so I let him go then resumed the original strategy. It made me happy with my decision from earlier though. 4 miles of pain were one thing, but if I was that close to my mHR then doing so would not have gone well. Once my bearings were back together I shifted to the 5K technique and opened up the stride. I stopped watching my pace at this point as pace didn’t matter. It was all maximum sufferage. Plus I knew the pace would be slower and seeing that would only be counter-productive, if anything.

Mile 13 (6:21)

I really hope no one got a photo of me in this mile. It was all grit. A total grind. And I know I was wearing it on my face. It felt angry, but probably looked like crying. Everything hurt and I wanted to die. So I knew I was doing it right.

Mile “0.36” (5:37)

I have no idea where I found that final burst. It didn’t feel much different than everything prior. Increased crowds? Shrug, I don’t know. Damn proud to see it though.

Official time – 1:22:44 (6:11 pace), 10th of 612, age group win - PR by more than a minute

Slightly better than the hour 43 I laid down at this race 5 years ago in my half marathon debut. A long way in a short period of time. The race was unfortunately long, but not by as much as indicated. The consensus seemed to be around 13.25. Looking at my graph I think my gps went haywire going under a freeway underpass four separate times. So I’m just gonna call this PR an hour 22, many of us round down in this sport anyway.

I’m very happy with everything about yesterday – the prep, the plan, and the execution. I haven’t been this sore after a race in a long time, so I am confident I didn’t leave anything out there. Even more so after looking at the published race photos. They didn't get any of me mid-race (probably a good thing), but scroll down to the finish line photos and look at #5. I had nothing left. That was a great way to end what was supposed to be just a maintenance year - and now it’s time to use that as a springboard into a spring BQ attempt. Third time’s the charm – and I will make it this time. Let’s dance.
Jesus.

so old and fat my legs are still sore...

Also not like I've been working out regularly the past few years
Really so mad about my knee.  Still sore 5 days after my last run.  Started icing it last night, should have done that earlier.  Just really itching to get back out there.  I've been going and lifting weights/upper body every couple of days, but that's not going to cut it.

Can't decide whether I should take several weeks off and get completely healed before getting back at it, or just waiting till the first or second pain free day and giving it a whirl.  But it's really infuriating.  I think I've found found the cure to what ails me, and I have the drive to do it, but this damned knee won't let me.

Ugh.

I've heard speculation, but nothing concrete.
Do you know if Boston will still allow you to move up your corral position if you run a faster marathon after your qualifying race? If Boston 2021 happens ideally I'd like to be near you, @MAC_32, and @Juxtatarot at the start. I think I'll be able to run a fast enough time to qualify for the race in Rehoboth, but not fast enough to be in your corral.

Do you know if Boston will still allow you to move up your corral position if you run a faster marathon after your qualifying race? If Boston 2021 happens ideally I'd like to be near you, @MAC_32, and @Juxtatarot at the start. I think I'll be able to run a fast enough time to qualify for the race in Rehoboth, but not fast enough to be in your corral.
Yes, they do.

Really so mad about my knee.  Still sore 5 days after my last run.  Started icing it last night, should have done that earlier.  Just really itching to get back out there.  I've been going and lifting weights/upper body every couple of days, but that's not going to cut it.

Can't decide whether I should take several weeks off and get completely healed before getting back at it, or just waiting till the first or second pain free day and giving it a whirl.  But it's really infuriating.  I think I've found found the cure to what ails me, and I have the drive to do it, but this damned knee won't let me.

Ugh.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2eEnDY7mGNQTCTTJjIaQl8dgrASP57Iqb-o70NBOrzt27-ixR&s

I kid!!!

Ugh.
Does it feel unstable or just sore?

Weighed in this morning at 155.

Liquid diet today and the big purge later today. Test early tomorrow morning. 

Will post morning weigh in tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow is a good day. Should know by 10:00 am. 

Weighed in this morning at 155.

Liquid diet today and the big purge later today. Test early tomorrow morning. 

Will post morning weigh in tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow is a good day. Should know by 10:00 am. 
Good luck on the butt stuff.

(for real - hope all is well)

Does it feel unstable or just sore?
:shrug:

Not sure I even know the difference.  Never had knee problems before.  Maybe I need to lose 20lbs before I'm able to run.  Trouble is, the running is the thing that was supposed to help me lose the 20lbs......

Not sure I even know the difference.  Never had knee problems before.  Maybe I need to lose 20lbs before I'm able to run.  Trouble is, the running is the thing that was supposed to help me lose the 20lbs......
Try a brisk walk mixed in with some light jogging and see how it feels.

To me, there is a difference between being sore and being injured.  If you feel like you injured something, see a doctor and get some tests done. If it's soreness, see if you can work through it. 

When it flares up does it feel like it is going to give out and you're going to tumble to the ground?  Or does it just have pain in it?

Running is ####ed up. Sometimes running makes it better, sometimes it makes it worse.  If walking doesn’t bother it, give it a easy try this weekend. If walking does bother it, try a bike at the gym to spin up some blood flow. Active recovery is what you need unless it’s an injury

:notadoctor

xulf said:
When it flares up does it feel like it is going to give out and you're going to tumble to the ground?  Or does it just have pain in it?
A little bit this, I think.  It feels "weak" when it's bad.  It's slowly getting better each day.

Played basketball today at lunch (for the first time in several months) and confirmed what I already knew.  This distance running thing has left me with absolutely zero fast-twitch muscles.  I could dunk before I started all this running crap, and now I'm getting out-rebounded by dudes 6 inches shorter than me.  Not cool.  :kicksrock:

JShare87 said:
Trust me, I know the struggle. Sub 3 is not possible. I thought they moved all the times up so people didn’t have to beat the time by 4-5 minutes? 
Why would you say that it's not possible?  I don't get it.  You just ran a 20-miler at 7:25 pace.  If my old, Clydesdale-looking ### can do it, then you can do it.  I think your only limiting factor is that you don't believe in yourself.

WRT your second point, yeah, they did make the qualifying standards 5 minutes faster across the board for 2020...and then you still needed to be 1:39 faster than your respective standard to get in.  I expect you''ll need a 3- or 4-minute cushion for 2021 and a bit more for 2022, and then they'll change it again.  I suppose at some point it'll settle out, but until then, they keep making the standards harder, and then people just train harder to beat the standards.

Played basketball today at lunch (for the first time in several months) and confirmed what I already knew.  This distance running thing has left me with absolutely zero fast-twitch muscles.  I could dunk before I started all this running crap, and now I'm getting out-rebounded by dudes 6 inches shorter than me.  Not cool.  :kicksrock:
You gotta play prison rules old man.

You’re a braver man than I. I would love to play in actual game but I am too afraid of getting hurt.  I have been able to get out and shoot a few times the past couple of months and it’s the best.  It takes me about 20 minutes to warmup before I can shoot with any kind of rhythm.  I imagine I'd have to run for 2 miles to warmup for a game. I miss the game, taking my son to the Sixer’s tomorrow night but so far he hasn’t had much success nor interest in sports (he just turned 9). I hope he finds I hobby that he loves as much as I loved basketball as a kid.

A little bit this, I think.  It feels "weak" when it's bad.  It's slowly getting better each day.
Ice it for another day or two and see how it feels on an easy walk/run.  

In the meantime, hop on your Peloton or an elliptical.  

Users who are viewing this thread