What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

Sucks trying to catch up on two weeks at a time in here....so much BMFery being churned out that it's pages and pages worth.  Had seen Gian and Grue on FB talking about their adventure and made it up to Gian's race report, and will try and catch up the rest of the way tomorrow.  Everyone please stop posting in the meantime.  TIA.

2019 Las Vegas Rock n Roll Half Marathon Race Report
Good stuff man!

@Zasada, congrats on a great race!  This is one that's always kinda intrigued me.  A few years back a couple of my friends did some other marathon in the morning (somewhere in California, I think) and then caught a flight to Vegas and ran Rock 'n' Roll that night.  Might wanna try that some day...
RnR San Antonio.  Wardian tried to win both on the same day a few years back. He won SA in 2:31, but then took 10th at Vegas that night in 2:57.  Loser.

It's natural to do this.

I know after a big race, it takes awhile for me to start the come-back. You have all the build up to a race, the work, the nutrition, the hydration - everything is planned and dialed in.

And then POOF - the race is over. And then it's like - what's next? And if nothing is planned for a good bit, it takes time to ramp up that enthusiasm again.

Hell, I've been in this mode since last spring and just now am starting to ramp up again. So just try and maintain for now and try and do the right things, but don't beat yourself up over gaining a few pounds. Heck, I've gained 8 since my marathon, but I'm actually in normal range right now. And starting to drop again.
Preach.  I've been in "offseason mode" since SD100 in early June.  

It's probably just a mindset thing for me. I enjoy hiking but haven't considered it as part of training (frankly that's wrong, but it's mindset). But when I would hit the hills to stay under MAF, I knew I was training and just enjoyed it. 

If I ever do an ultra, I'll start hiking a lot as a key part of training.
Huge part of ultra training.  So when you signing up for that 100K?

and Idahoan mashed potatoes (my wife and I like the instant kind -- really).
Sorry, not sure we can be friends anymore.  Just on principle there is no way in hell I'll meet you at aid stations with Idahoan fake potato burritos at Miwok

Hi 10K guys,

I'm signing up for a marathon in July, 2020.  Anyone here have any thoughts on how to train for this thing?
I knew this day would come....admittedly, I didn't think it would come this quickly. 

Can't wait to watch this training cycle and race unfold.

On my side, I'm not sure I can get my wife to agree to a trip to the Pacific northwest, but I'll broach it with her at some point.  I'm zeroing in on Chicago as my PR race in fall 2020 (with Indy as the backup if weather in Chicago sucks).   The July marathon would likely not fit perfectly into that training cycle.  But if there are 5-6 FBG's there, then I'll have to try to pull it off.

I wouldn't give up running just yet. If you're able to get over this hurdle I think this has sustainability, especially since you used to do it. Tough to define hurt vs injured via message bored though. 
If you watch the movie The Program, that will clear up the hurt vs injured question. 

@gianmarco - I'm so looking forward to following along with this. You were the only person in here that I knew when I started posting in here and you are a huge reason I stuck around - yep, you guys can blame Gian! It should be quite the adventure! 

Water department showed up this morning looking for a water leak. Told them I had to flush the toilet 856 times last night.
My wife is a nurse and has had to issue said medicine to people for tests. She's always thought it was funny that the one version is called "go lightly" or something like that... 

Y’all ever go after a blister under a toenail.  Last year I had one that just popped on it’s own but this one is vexing me.  Index finger toe gets banged up from my shoes that don’t let me heel lock laces. I know I should leave it alone and it will calm down over the next days and be fine but I took off work today so...

Scalpel, doc?

Y’all ever go after a blister under a toenail.  Last year I had one that just popped on it’s own but this one is vexing me.  Index finger toe gets banged up from my shoes that don’t let me heel lock laces. I know I should leave it alone and it will calm down over the next days and be fine but I took off work today so...

Scalpel, doc?
A 1/32nd drill bit should do the trick.

Boston 2021 will be great!  Me, Pbm, Grue, Mac, Tri-Man, Steel Curtain, JShare, the Marcos, ChiefD....
:kicksrock:

The thought of qualifying for this seems(ed) impossible... but I just looked up the qualifying times. In October 2020 I turn 50... 50-54 qualifying time is 3:25. That's only 20 minutes or so faster than I didn't do it a couple weeks ago - given the whole need a buffer to get it done, I "only" need to run a marathon averaging about 1 minute PER MILE faster than I just ran one... 

So, basically averaging per mile for a full freaking marathon at the same pace I ran my PR HM at... Definitely have the ability to run 7:30/mile longer than 13.1... but running 26.2 @ 7:40 or so... WOW. That seems kind of nuts. But you crazy pushers making me thinking about doing the math... hmmm. 

Right, which is why that link intrigued me with the 3 days of running. I'm curious what some of you think of that for me.
I’ve seen that 3-day plan before.  It’s a reasonable alternative, given the priorities.  In essence, you’re cutting out the “glue” runs ...the easy runs between the SOS runs ...that build the overall base.  While not ideal for peak performance, it can suffice to prepare you for your first marathon, which will be about finishing (and supporting your better half).

Speaking of feet things... anyone dealt with a bunyon? I believe that is what I have on my left big toe. More an annoyance than anything but enough of an issue that the big toe is starting to press against the 2nd one a little. 

The thought of qualifying for this seems(ed) impossible... but I just looked up the qualifying times. In October 2020 I turn 50... 50-54 qualifying time is 3:25. That's only 20 minutes or so faster than I didn't do it a couple weeks ago - given the whole need a buffer to get it done, I "only" need to run a marathon averaging about 1 minute PER MILE faster than I just ran one... 

So, basically averaging per mile for a full freaking marathon at the same pace I ran my PR HM at... Definitely have the ability to run 7:30/mile longer than 13.1... but running 26.2 @ 7:40 or so... WOW. That seems kind of nuts. But you crazy pushers making me thinking about doing the math... hmmm. 
Book your flight to Washington!

Yan I think a 5 day or something like a 9 day rotating schedule might work nicely. 

@tri-man 47 drill bit seems better than a heated paper clip. Maybe I combine techniques and go heated drill bit. 

No schtick. You put the volume in the next few months and you may be able to do it. October 2020 is too late though. Cut off is early September. 

Just on principle there is no way in hell I'll meet you at aid stations with Idahoan fake potato burritos at Miwok
:lol:

That does remind me though I need to figure out what real food I can consume while running.  I have been using Tailwind exclusively with decent results.  But for 100K, that's probably not enough.  

Also... they finally posted the results for the "Indython"... The HM I ran in October is linked with the Monumental Marathon. They add your times together and put out the standings for people that run both - they actually post results for all the different length combos you can do. Here's a link to the "Ultra" results, which is the HM and full. I finished 80th of 381 that did both: https://indython.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Ultra-2019.pdf

Note - the guy in charge of all the fitness training here at work finished 15th overall but he was "just pacing" the 3:05 group for the full. 

Book your flight to Washington!
With the list there, I thought about bringing this up with my wife. We spent a long weekend in Seattle last summer visiting some friends and my wife loved Seattle. I didn't look at the calendar last night but I know we already have another trip booked up to Michigan sometime in July this year - not sure of the exact dates of that trip but it would be pretty close to those race dates. 

I’ve seen that 3-day plan before.  It’s a reasonable alternative, given the priorities.  In essence, you’re cutting out the “glue” runs ...the easy runs between the SOS runs ...that build the overall base.  While not ideal for peak performance, it can suffice to prepare you for your first marathon, which will be about finishing (and supporting your better half).
So, I'm actually going to do this plan   (more detail about it here)

It's good for me for several reasons.

1)  I've done Higdon before and feel comfortable with it.  This plan is geared for those that haven't run a marathon before (hello).

2)  The bulk of the runs are on Tue/Wed/Thurs.  Those are the 3 days I'm most free during the week as my youngest is in school.  I shouldn't have any problem getting those runs done.  The long run Saturday also should work out overall and hopefully my wife gets a plan that has long runs on Sunday.

3)  It's not a high mileage plan at all.  So I know time-wise I can swing that (Saturday long runs being the biggest challenge).  And, depending on how I'm feeling, I will plan on running on Sundays instead of cross training and keep it easy to bump up the miles a bit as tolerated.

Since I don't have a huge time goal (even though sub 4 hours is no joke), I think this will work to get me to the finish line for this race.  And even if I don't hit sub 4 hours, I don't really care.

I looked and the J&J has pacers so I'm not worried about having to struggle with that aspect for her.

The timing of all this couldn't be more perfect.  I've got my HM scheduled for March 7th.  This 18 week plan would normally start on March 23rd (the day my kids are back to school from spring break) and I'd get the first 2-3 months with great weather.  Since the meat of it will be during June, which isn't ideal, I may just go right into this after the HM and add a couple weeks.  The first couple weeks are only ~20 miles anyway so not anything crazy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm actually going to do this plan   (more detail about it here)

It's good for me for several reasons.

1)  I've done Higdon before and feel comfortable with it.  This plan is geared for those that haven't run a marathon before (hello).

2)  The bulk of the runs are on Tue/Wed/Thurs.  Those are the 3 days I'm most free during the week as my youngest is in school.  I shouldn't have any problem getting those runs done.  The long run Saturday also should work out overall and hopefully my wife gets a plan that has long runs on Sunday.

3)  It's not a high mileage plan at all.  So I know time-wise I can swing that (Saturday long runs being the biggest challenge).  And, depending on how I'm feeling, I will plan on running on Sundays instead of cross training and keep it easy to bump up the miles a bit as tolerated.

Since I don't have a huge time goal (even though sub 4 hours is no joke), I think this will work to get me to the finish line for this race.  And even if I don't hit sub 4 hours, I don't really care.

I looked and the J&J has pacers so I'm not worried about having to struggle with that aspect. 

The timing of all this couldn't be more perfect.  I've got my HM scheduled for March 7th.  This 18 week plan would normally start on March 23rd (the day my kids are back to school from spring break) and I'd get the first 2-3 months with great weather.  Since the meat of it will be during June, which isn't ideal, I may just go right into this after the HM and add a couple weeks.  The first couple weeks are only ~20 miles anyway so not anything crazy. 
Getting in the habit of a Sunday recovery run would be a great add on. 

It's plenty easy to manipulate a plan so that one of you is running long on Saturday and the other on Sunday.  Just shift everything forward one day, and voila.
Yep.  And, I looked at the Intermediate 1 plan

I know I could honestly swing that one as well and that has the long runs on Sunday instead (which is probably better for me anyway).

It's just a more time consuming plan and I'd rather concentrate on the lower plan and build than work with the Intermediate plan and have to skip runs if necessary.

Either way, we'll get it to work. 

Also, we can plan on doing some of the much longer runs together while someone watches the young ones.  That will probably help us both, especially on weekends when we've got some other stuff going on.  Overall, though, I'm going to make sure we limit the extracurriculars for them for those 4 months or this won't work. 

Planning purposes I think Saturday is the optimal long run day. If the schedule goes haywire you have Sunday as contingency. Dont have that luxury if the long run plan is Sunday.

Mentally i completely back the lighter plan. You're less susceptible to missing a run and that happening can be difficult to overcome, especially if it happens multiple times. Just don't shy away from bonus miles. More runs is not a bad thing of the schedule fits. Dont necessarily just because the plan says to.

For her, Hanson's beginner marathon plan should be perfect to help her get to goal of 3:50 (8:45 pace), right?

ETA -- Her toughest day at work is Thursday (and hardest/sometimes impossible to run day).  Thus, I would slide that plan over by 1 day.  This would be the rest day instead of Wednesday)

Her long runs would be on Monday (when I have no running scheduled and her work schedule should allow) -- perfect

Her speed work would be on Wed/Fri (typically not days she's working or working very much) -- perfect

Her easy 5-8 mile runs are on Saturday and Sunday (she can run the 5-6 miles on Saturday with me as part of my long run if she wants or can get it in afterward relatively easily and we can run together on Sundays as well for 5-8 miles as scheduled). 

Couldn't fit any better, honestly. 

#projectcadence 

I switched from hoka rincons to new balance 880v9 wtih an insert...and these 880's feel like tanks compared to the hokas...much heavier and way sturdier.  I have 2 runs in them, and they are feeling pretty good.  Today I finally did an actual ifit run on my treadmill which was intervals.  I haven't run on a treadmill at all since taking up running and I really think that it is going to help my form and cadence as I am forced to be more upright while running and getting a steady rhythm with the cadence is much easier.  I also can see a reflection of my feet and my stupid right foot flares out like crazy (which i saw in my 15K pics) while my left leg is doing what it should.  I need to get that straightened out, but am encouraged by the tweaks I was making today.

Anyway - back to your Washington/Boston gang bang planning  :pickle:  

#projectcadence 

I switched from hoka rincons to new balance 880v9 wtih an insert...and these 880's feel like tanks compared to the hokas...much heavier and way sturdier.  I have 2 runs in them, and they are feeling pretty good.  Today I finally did an actual ifit run on my treadmill which was intervals.  I haven't run on a treadmill at all since taking up running and I really think that it is going to help my form and cadence as I am forced to be more upright while running and getting a steady rhythm with the cadence is much easier.  I also can see a reflection of my feet and my stupid right foot flares out like crazy (which i saw in my 15K pics) while my left leg is doing what it should.  I need to get that straightened out, but am encouraged by the tweaks I was making today.

Anyway - back to your Washington/Boston gang bang planning  :pickle:  
You joining in? 

You joining in? 
I'm not there yet...I can't even get 30 miles in for the week without hurting myself.  Plus, my wife would probably kill me if I dedicated a ton more time to this.

(but that is over our anniversary and we have never been out there....so, like 0.05% chance that could materialize).

I ended up getting a pair of UA HOVR Sonic 2 for my birfday.  I'm anxious to download the MapMyRun app and try them out tomorrow morning.  :thumbup:
 I have surge and charge rogue twist - 

they suck imo...

Great for everyday kicks - but suck for actual running take it fwiw from a noob...

They are my regular wear sneaks now

I'm not there yet...I can't even get 30 miles in for the week without hurting myself.  Plus, my wife would probably kill me if I dedicated a ton more time to this.

(but that is over our anniversary and we have never been out there....so, like 0.05% chance that could materialize).
So....

ETA -- The plan I'm doing averages 30 mpw and doesn't hit 40. Just saying.....

That said, I know how these crack dealers are about trying to get the next victim to take the plunge. So don't feel pressured. The link to the registration is above, though.

I have surge and charge rogue twist - 

they suck imo...

Great for everyday kicks - but suck for actual running take it fwiw from a noob...

They are my regular wear sneaks now
What didn't you like about them?  Did you link them to your phone via the app?

LOL I didn't realize you quoted yourself and I quoted the wrong one anyway

I don't have the ones that you bought

Toe nail success just as the Gru described. Bonus moment of whoa! pain when the heat and breakthrough occurred. I doused in alcohol, antibacterial goo and bandaid and will continue to do so.  

Carry on with planning. Berlin emails started hitting inboxes today and will until Monday I think.  Future race obsession on two continents is fun. 

No reason to rush. Try to figure out 30 mpw while getting better at half's or less. Then once you figure it out increase it and decide if you're ready for the dive. The more patient you are with diving in the better it will go too.

Got the all clear for the most part. Nothing obviously bad. They will run a couple of biopsies to make sure.

More than likely the cause of my stomach pain is some bile in my stomach. But the doc just said some people just produce more at times. Will be on some medication as needed to help manage that.

So a nice relief. All systems go for the Hanson plan starting soon. 

As for the Jack and Jill run, I can’t commit right now. Gonna see how the next few months go, and if there are still openings I may sign up.

Boston 2021 ain’t gonna happen. Like @The Iguana - I would need to cut off about 36 minutes. But, I HAVE done that before. But that would be a pretty large leap. I wanna see what happens with this spring half. If I make a big jump from 1:45, then and only then can I start thinking about it seriously. If all goes well then, then I would go for a BQ in Carmel probably next year. Which would mean Boston 22 if all things fall into place perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread