What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Well crap.  That's kind of de-motivating.  Now the question do you sign up for a race that's likely going to be cancelled and not refundable just to get a placeholder for next year assuming they roll over your spot to sign up?
That's an interesting thought.  I guess I'm already in Canyons 100K and AC100 for 2021, maybe look at adding a Fall race to keep me going for this year knowing that if it gets cancelled as well it'll just roll over (probably).

Was this a surprise to you?  Not that it's a bad thing, but if either my wife or I dropped a couple grand on anything as a surprise, it wouldn't go over well.

Enjoy your rides.  I've long envied the Peloton Treadmill, but it's just too crazy expensive for us.
Not really surprised and I had told her before I’d use it and know she will too as she like spin/intensity classes.  She mentioned it long ago as she rides about 3x per week on our trail and runs a few days too. Last week it was mentioned again in the context of her increasingly fed up with trail traffic under current circumstances. Then a conversation with a coworker this week about it. Then today she texted that a friend works for them and was going for it.  So lots of talk, finally pulled trigger. 
Their treadmill does look sweet. 

Saw that they released it for free, very cool. I bought the dvd when it first came out, have probably watched it 4-5 times but it's been awhile. 

If any of you haven't seen it, watch it.  If you have any free time, of course.
Very cool how much on course footage it includes. 

bushdocda said:
Very cool how much on course footage it includes. 
Yeah, that was really one of the first movies of it's kind and before the boom in trail and ultra content the past few years, so there weren't people all over the course with cameras like there are now.  The footage is really good, and JB did a great job capturing the race.

bushdocda said:
Wife just texted me we bought a peloton. 
So I guess I can get addicted to that too. 
1.  I love how you said that.   :lmao:

2.  Welcome to the club.  You're going to love it.  I feel like it's really helping my running.

https://www.baa.org/information-registered-participants-boston-marathon-and-baa-5k

Refund available, no deferrals (wow) for Boston. So either run in September or get your money back and re-qualify for 2021.

“The September 14 race will serve as a qualifier for the 2021 Boston Marathon. Registration for the 2021 Boston Marathon will take place after Monday, September 14, 2020.”
Like immediately after, or 35 days after, when I qualify for it....Come on October 19th for registration.

Sign up for the J&J race we're all in!  So we can have more to commiserate with when it gets canceled!
I'm still watching, but there are some warning signs that thing ain't happening and I don't want a deferral/virtual option forced on me in BFE Washington. We'll see if I can even coordinate logistics anyway. I have no idea what summer in our world has in store and that race probably requires a 5 day commitment.

I'm still watching, but there are some warning signs that thing ain't happening and I don't want a deferral/virtual option forced on me in BFE Washington. We'll see if I can even coordinate logistics anyway. I have no idea what summer in our world has in store and that race probably requires a 5 day commitment.
Just an FYI, in a PM from Krista as she's out there:

FWIW, from my friends who do them, I've noticed that trail races out here have been canceled through June but that July has mostly remained intact so far.

"Last Chance Marathon" in mid-September here in the Chicagoland area.  Juxt has run this and spoke very well of it.  We Chicago boys would take good care of you before, during, and after.  :notafootmassagepromise:

Out for a run this morning, and as I'm going down the sidewalk along a rather busy Chicago street, an old guy (I know, it's relative) actually waves to stop me ...and politely but sternly gets on my case for running along the busy street. "You see the snow and how dirty it gets?  That's all the air pollution from the cars.  When you run on these busy streets, you're breathing in deep and pulling in all that pollution.  You're doing yourself more harm than good!  You should run on the side streets."  I just nodded my head and said OK.  I didn't bother pointing out that I've made it this long without smogging myself to death.  Nor did I take the time to ask why he was walking down the same polluted street.

Out for a run this morning, and as I'm going down the sidewalk along a rather busy Chicago street, an old guy (I know, it's relative) actually waves to stop me ...and politely but sternly gets on my case for running along the busy street. "You see the snow and how dirty it gets?  That's all the air pollution from the cars.  When you run on these busy streets, you're breathing in deep and pulling in all that pollution.  You're doing yourself more harm than good!  You should run on the side streets."  I just nodded my head and said OK.  I didn't bother pointing out that I've made it this long without smogging myself to death.  Nor did I take the time to ask why he was walking down the same polluted street.
My 14 year old son was running yesterday and two old people yelled at him for not stepping aside on the sidewalk.

People are a-holes.

Great race. I’ve done it twice. Flat and fast. And when I say flat, I mean FLAT.
They do have a few speed bumps (actual, speed bumps), but what I really want to know is how you avoided not melting on the course. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They do have a few speed bumps (actual, speed bumps), but what I really want to know is how you avoided not melting on the course. 
I got lucky. Both times I ran it was only in the 50s. Still warmer than I’d like, but bearable.

"Last Chance Marathon" in mid-September here in the Chicagoland area.  Juxt has run this and spoke very well of it.  We Chicago boys would take good care of you before, during, and after.  :notafootmassagepromise:
I'm going to be in Chicago for about ten days during this time for two weddings and seriously considered this race until I saw the price tag. Is it really worth the $145 for 8 loops on a 3-mile path? Or are you just paying for the certified course and time?

I'm going to continue to ##### about my watch forever --- but I am so fed up with it right now.  My music is finally playing correctly when wearing it on my left wrist, but the new thing is that is tracking my cadence as my HR. 

This apparently is not a software issue but a hardware limitation of the optical sensor.  From what I read, what it is really doing is doing a weighted average of my cadence and my actual HR, with the likely cause being that taking the watch from inside temperatures to outside temperatures creates condensation on the sensor that then is unable to track/penetrate to the correct spot for your HR.  If this is the case, it would also make sense why a lot of times my HR is elevated at the beginning of the run, but then the temperature gets regulated and works fine.  

Not sure if anyone else had experienced this, but it looks like my possible solutions (at least on colder days), are to wear the watch tighter than usual to eliminate any sort of condensation buildup and/or to cool the watch, by having it outside or in the fridge, prior to running.  The latter supposedly may only work until my body heat warms it back up, but may buy some time.

I'm going to play around with these ideas and see if I can get it tracking correctly, or I may just have to wait for warmer weather.

This apparently is not a software issue but a hardware limitation of the optical sensor.
I use the Fenix 5 Plus and the HRM on it seems good.  It appears to use a different sensor than the Forerunner 245 though.

I have heard good things about Garmin support.  You might be able to get them to send you a new watch if they determine yours isn't working like it should.  

Have you tried wearing it on the inside of your wrist instead of outside?  

Finally, you can also get a chest strap -- which is the best way to measure anyway.  But that's more $.

I'm going to continue to ##### about my watch forever --- but I am so fed up with it right now.  My music is finally playing correctly when wearing it on my left wrist, but the new thing is that is tracking my cadence as my HR. 

This apparently is not a software issue but a hardware limitation of the optical sensor.  From what I read, what it is really doing is doing a weighted average of my cadence and my actual HR, with the likely cause being that taking the watch from inside temperatures to outside temperatures creates condensation on the sensor that then is unable to track/penetrate to the correct spot for your HR.  If this is the case, it would also make sense why a lot of times my HR is elevated at the beginning of the run, but then the temperature gets regulated and works fine.  

Not sure if anyone else had experienced this, but it looks like my possible solutions (at least on colder days), are to wear the watch tighter than usual to eliminate any sort of condensation buildup and/or to cool the watch, by having it outside or in the fridge, prior to running.  The latter supposedly may only work until my body heat warms it back up, but may buy some time.

I'm going to play around with these ideas and see if I can get it tracking correctly, or I may just have to wait for warmer weather.
I have experienced similar behavior with my optical sensor, but mine isn't an external HRM which I often stop to reset. I didn't know about the condensation on the sensor being the cause, that is good to know.  When I reset it for now on, I will make sure to wipe it off on my shirt. Thanks.  

I use the Fenix 5 Plus and the HRM on it seems good.  It appears to use a different sensor than the Forerunner 245 though.

I have heard good things about Garmin support.  You might be able to get them to send you a new watch if they determine yours isn't working like it should.  

Have you tried wearing it on the inside of your wrist instead of outside?  

Finally, you can also get a chest strap -- which is the best way to measure anyway.  But that's more $.
There is a decent amount of discussion on the Garmin forums about this issue --- I should probably open a ticket just to be safe.

I have not tried the inside of the wrist, I will include that in the experiments of trying to find a working solution.

For the chest strap, I have a Polar one, but I prefer to have everything streamlined if it is "good enough" -- and I don't want to wear two watches like some of the weirdos in this thread.  If it continues to be an issue and they won't give me a new watch (or if they do and still doesn't work), I may pull the trigger on the Garmin strap.

I have experienced similar behavior with my optical sensor, but mine isn't an external HRM which I often stop to reset. I didn't know about the condensation on the sensor being the cause, that is good to know.  When I reset it for now on, I will make sure to wipe it off on my shirt. Thanks.  
I've often wiped mine down with not much luck, but I never then tightened it after doing so.  I think it may need a combination, but this is just my working theory.

It all does kind of make sense though, b/c I have never had an issue with my HR when running on my treadmill.  So, it is logical to think that there has to be some sort of variable, from being outside, involved...whether it is temperature or humidity...that is not present inside.

I've often wiped mine down with not much luck, but I never then tightened it after doing so.  I think it may need a combination, but this is just my working theory.

It all does kind of make sense though, b/c I have never had an issue with my HR when running on my treadmill.  So, it is logical to think that there has to be some sort of variable, from being outside, involved...whether it is temperature or humidity...that is not present inside.
FWIW, my optical sensor won't read my HR correctly when I have a hiking pole in my hand (Angle of my arm?  Restricted blood flow?  Wrist muscles blocking veins?).  So, yeah, there are some strange conditions which can throw the sensor off.  

I'm a HRM strap guy through and through. Have never tried the sensor. To me it's worth the investment for accurate data and it hasn't ever really failed me. You should be able to get one on eBay or something for like $20-30 if you want to go that route but completely understand that defeats the purpose of the all-in-one feature of the watch.

Any way we can get an update on the health status of our laundry list of gimpy FBG's?
Swelling has gone down tremendously. Still practicing my Wim Hof methods, eating clean, and trying to eliminate all foods that cause inflammation (including alcohol). Still no pain meds or OTCs. Essentially, I’ve become the Tom Brady of running. Went out for a mile walk 2 days in a row. I’m trying my hardest but walking is still difficult at the moment. 

Any way we can get an update on the health status of our laundry list of gimpy FBG's?
Heh.....

Mine not as serious as others, but looking to try it out in a couple more days.  I've patiently sat at home watching my wife trot out a 50 mile week last week and continue to get out regularly as well as sit and watch all these people running outside on the sidewalk by my house while I convalesce. 

My run last Wednesday was when the pain was awful.  My short run on Thursday with the knee bra was my last run.  I've had 0 pain since then in any activities or anything at all.  I've pushed on the spot on my knee and can't find it.  I've been taking Aleve twice daily.  I'm now on day 7 of no running whatsoever.  To be on the safe side, I'm still not going out today or tomorrow and will give it a go on Saturday.  I'm hoping by then I can get most of my fitness back in the 2 weeks leading up to our thing here.

If it still isn't gone by then, I'm going to be legit disappointed and/or worried.  I have no other way to find out but to get out there, though.  The only saving grace is that I don't think my marathon is going to take place so if I don't start my training, I don't think it'll be a complete loss.  I just don't want to lose the gains I worked for leading up to this.

Eyeing Monumental in November if J&J gets cancelled, though, so there's that......

Swelling has gone down tremendously. Still practicing my Wim Hof methods, eating clean, and trying to eliminate all foods that cause inflammation (including alcohol). Still no pain meds or OTCs. Essentially, I’ve become the Tom Brady of running. Went out for a mile walk 2 days in a row. I’m trying my hardest but walking is still difficult at the moment. 
Don't forget to eliminate those pesky nightshade veggies as well.

Heh.....

Mine not as serious as others, but looking to try it out in a couple more days.  I've patiently sat at home watching my wife trot out a 50 mile week last week and continue to get out regularly as well as sit and watch all these people running outside on the sidewalk by my house while I convalesce. 

My run last Wednesday was when the pain was awful.  My short run on Thursday with the knee bra was my last run.  I've had 0 pain since then in any activities or anything at all.  I've pushed on the spot on my knee and can't find it.  I've been taking Aleve twice daily.  I'm now on day 7 of no running whatsoever.  To be on the safe side, I'm still not going out today or tomorrow and will give it a go on Saturday.  I'm hoping by then I can get most of my fitness back in the 2 weeks leading up to our thing here.

If it still isn't gone by then, I'm going to be legit disappointed and/or worried.  I have no other way to find out but to get out there, though.  The only saving grace is that I don't think my marathon is going to take place so if I don't start my training, I don't think it'll be a complete loss.  I just don't want to lose the gains I worked for leading up to this.

Eyeing Monumental in November if J&J gets cancelled, though, so there's that......
Whatever your first marathon is going to be, my next marathon will be. We run together, we die together, Bad MFers for life.

Went out this morning, and early-on very seriously contemplated walking home.  Groin/glute were bad.  Became less-bad as I ran, but it was my slowest 10K in ages.

Probably taking tomorrow off.

Upside was that there was no poop?

I'm going to be in Chicago for about ten days during this time for two weddings and seriously considered this race until I saw the price tag. Is it really worth the $145 for 8 loops on a 3-mile path? Or are you just paying for the certified course and time?
That is pricey ...maybe an issue of supply and demand, or on-course support.  Or yes, maybe paying for the convenience and focus of the race.  @Juxtatarot?

That is pricey ...maybe an issue of supply and demand, or on-course support.  Or yes, maybe paying for the convenience and focus of the race.  @Juxtatarot?
As far as marathons go, it's tiny.  Even if they wanted more people, the narrow paths would get too crowded.  I'll bet a large part is just reverse economies of scale. 

Honestly, though, as frugal as I am on other things, I couldn't care less about marathon entry fees.  

Mine switches to cadence all the time, almost always on an uphill when I'm hiking - the HR will suddenly drop to 80-90 something when in reality it's often going up.

I think my Fenix3 is on it's last legs anyway.  Battery was at 100% yesterday, when I started my run today I got the 20% "low battery" warning, and it was dead 33 minutes later.  I fired up the Strava app on my phone and started that, and when I got back to the car to stop it it wasn't recording.  Cool app.

Upside was that there was no poop?
Of course what the Strava app missed recording in the last couple of miles was a sudden wave of "uh oh" that had me repeatedly stopping to do that clenched cheeks walk that we all know oh too well.  At that point I was on a path next to the road so there was no place to even pop into the bushes so I just had to do everything I could to get back to the car and make it home (which I did, but it was close).

Users who are viewing this thread