Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

Recommended Posts

Did my two bridges run tini Brooklyn..in the 70s with a light rain. Perfect temps, at least compared to the microwaved sauna conditions lately.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

Great stuff, Thanks JAA!

This will be a slow work up for me, I am not in a rush to accomplish this IM. At the moment, I just want to live the process and not do what I have done in the past and jumped in too fast and too hard. Hell, there aren’t any IM’s or HIM’s to put on the calendar but that’s probably a good thing for me.

I’ll most likely work with my wife’s coach  (he’s a pretty inspiring dude) but I appreciate any & all advice. For example, what is the best place to find tri or cycling clothes? I’m an XL (6’ 225lbs) and I’ve had a hard time finding shorts & shirts that fit. The LBS has some gear but not much as everyone seems to have taken up cycling with the Covid. 

Look at this guy, 1st time in the thread and starts mucking it up with Cycling stuff...take it to the bike thread, Guy! 🤣🤣🤣



 

Im a comfort snob, so I spend a lot on shorts.  I also had bad saddle sores leading up to my first IM.  It was a horrible experience.  Being on the bike for 7 hours, climbing in and out of the saddle in pain, is a true demotivater.

If you are going to be riding 7-10hrs per week Id recommend having 4 pairs.  Id say 1 tri-short and 3 bike shorts.

I like desoto a lot, but they are not perfect.

For bike riding I have both their 400mil short and bib, they are good if not great.  What I have found though is I have the best luck with hot spots and saddle sores when I rotate through the week instead of using the same short through the week.

I just bought these:  https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110824 after a thorough review of slowtwitch.  Also, I believe slowtwitch has a good desoto promo code going at the moment.

Happy to chat more - ask away!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big fan of the bib, and then combine with knee or leg warmers and arm warmers, vests and up as the weather cools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, JAA said:

Serious question - do you get enough sodium?

Fatigue could be electrolytes.  When I drank way to much water and didnt get enough salt, I would also get headaches.  Is your :pee: slightly yellow or completely clear?

Probably not enough.  @gianmarco and I have discussed this a few times.  I'd say it's more clear than yellow, so I probably need more.  Now that you say it, I have been noticing headaches lately, especially late at night before bed.  I have a slight one now actually after my long, sweaty run this morning.  I never made the connection with the lack of salt.

I did take one SaltStick Cap before my run this morning and another halfway through, but I probably should've doubled that.  Also drank 20 oz Gatorade Endurance Formula at the beginning of my run, but again, that's only 500mg of sodium, which given the way I sweat, hardly even puts a dent in my deficit.

Edited by gruecd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gruecd said:

It takes a lot to get me out of bed at 4am to get ready to run...but 56/56 in late July will do the trick.

GFY

  • Laughing 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, JShare87 said:

GFY

Grue Fascinates You?

  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garmin is so hosed - posted on their website:

We’re sorry.

We are currently experiencing an outage that affects Garmin.com and Garmin Connect. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unable to receive any calls, emails or online chats. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Garmin is so hosed - posted on their website:

We’re sorry.

We are currently experiencing an outage that affects Garmin.com and Garmin Connect. This outage also affects our call centers, and we are currently unable to receive any calls, emails or online chats. We are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and apologize for this inconvenience.

I posted this earlier on FB. This isn’t routine server maintenance. Methinks they got hacked or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gruecd said:

Welcome to my world... :squishsquish:

YMMV but I like to drill holes in the soles of my running shoes to let them drain.  Between the treads of course - makes no difference in how the shoes feel but I find it makes an appreciable difference in how much they squish with sweat.

  • Thinking 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gruecd said:

Probably not enough.  @gianmarco and I have discussed this a few times.  I'd say it's more clear than yellow, so I probably need more.  Now that you say it, I have been noticing headaches lately, especially late at night before bed.  I have a slight one now actually after my long, sweaty run this morning.  I never made the connection with the lack of salt.

I did take one SaltStick Cap before my run this morning and another halfway through, but I probably should've doubled that.  Also drank 20 oz Gatorade Endurance Formula at the beginning of my run, but again, that's only 500mg of sodium, which given the way I sweat, hardly even puts a dent in my deficit.

This may sound corny, but how is measure my sodium intake is as follows:

  • If I take a bite of something salty and it tastes better than it should, I need more salt.
  • If I take a bite of something and it takes normal, I don't need more salt.

Again, not trying to be snarky here, just have had luck listening to my body.  Also, I never feel like I have too much sodium, like ever.

Friendly reminder to watch the Lionel Sanders IM pre-race meal of 2 packages of Ramen Noodles.  Wanna talk sodium?  After a sweaty long run, I find it delicious to eat my 50-100% of my "Recommended daily sodium intake".  If it tastes good, eat it!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dark Matter said:

Great stuff, Thanks JAA!

This will be a slow work up for me, I am not in a rush to accomplish this IM. At the moment, I just want to live the process and not do what I have done in the past and jumped in too fast and too hard. Hell, there aren’t any IM’s or HIM’s to put on the calendar but that’s probably a good thing for me.

I’ll most likely work with my wife’s coach  (he’s a pretty inspiring dude) but I appreciate any & all advice. For example, what is the best place to find tri or cycling clothes? I’m an XL (6’ 225lbs) and I’ve had a hard time finding shorts & shirts that fit. The LBS has some gear but not much as everyone seems to have taken up cycling with the Covid. 

Look at this guy, 1st time in the thread and starts mucking it up with Cycling stuff...take it to the bike thread, Guy! 🤣🤣🤣



 

I'd agree with JAA - starting to work up to an IM is at least a 2 year enterprise.  I'd probably even lean towards 3 depending on your background.  I'd have an A race be an Olympic first year, half IM second, and full the 3rd.  A full is going to be way, way more than twice as hard as your half.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, gianmarco said:

Looks like we have a few new names.

Who are:

RJ?

JW?

JB?

BS?

CM?

I'm assuming CL is our new guy that just posted a few posts up.

That's me.  I primarily cycle and hate running.  I don't think I've gone on a run since I played HS soccer over 20 years ago.  Seeing what some of you are doing gives me motivation to give running a try again, so I told myself a couple weeks ago that I would try a 5k by the end of the month. 

While I like seeing what the superhumans among us are doing, it motivates me more seeing that there are normal people posting normal times.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JAA said:

Im a comfort snob, so I spend a lot on shorts.  I also had bad saddle sores leading up to my first IM.  It was a horrible experience.  Being on the bike for 7 hours, climbing in and out of the saddle in pain, is a true demotivater.

If you are going to be riding 7-10hrs per week Id recommend having 4 pairs.  Id say 1 tri-short and 3 bike shorts.

I like desoto a lot, but they are not perfect.

For bike riding I have both their 400mil short and bib, they are good if not great.  What I have found though is I have the best luck with hot spots and saddle sores when I rotate through the week instead of using the same short through the week.

I just bought these:  https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110824 after a thorough review of slowtwitch.  Also, I believe slowtwitch has a good desoto promo code going at the moment.

Happy to chat more - ask away!

This is what I'm looking for! Thanks JAA. Also, slowtwich.com will be a great resource. 

Guaranteed I will be prone to hot spots & saddle sores so getting proper gear & lubing up is going to be absolutely critical to success.

Right now, I need to get a coach that can provide me with a blue print to work from, help me plan my schedule, guide me in nutrition and give me insight to questions I don't even know to ask.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThreeThousand said:

I'd agree with JAA - starting to work up to an IM is at least a 2 year enterprise.  I'd probably even lean towards 3 depending on your background.  I'd have an A race be an Olympic first year, half IM second, and full the 3rd.  A full is going to be way, way more than twice as hard as your half.

Thanks...I don't even want to think about the IM distances right now. Olympic is perfect at the moment with a peak towards half towards the end of next year.:thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JAA said:

Im a comfort snob, so I spend a lot on shorts.  I also had bad saddle sores leading up to my first IM.  It was a horrible experience.  Being on the bike for 7 hours, climbing in and out of the saddle in pain, is a true demotivater.

If you are going to be riding 7-10hrs per week Id recommend having 4 pairs.  Id say 1 tri-short and 3 bike shorts.

I like desoto a lot, but they are not perfect.

For bike riding I have both their 400mil short and bib, they are good if not great.  What I have found though is I have the best luck with hot spots and saddle sores when I rotate through the week instead of using the same short through the week.

I just bought these:  https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110824 after a thorough review of slowtwitch.  Also, I believe slowtwitch has a good desoto promo code going at the moment.

Happy to chat more - ask away!

I 100% agree on DeSoto.  I've done 14 fulls and every one has been in the Rivieras.  I wouldn't race anything past an hour on the bike without them.  You want to spend your $$ on your bike touch points - shoes/socks and shorts/tri suits.  Comfort on a long day is priceless.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dark Matter said:

This is what I'm looking for! Thanks JAA. Also, slowtwich.com will be a great resource. 

Guaranteed I will be prone to hot spots & saddle sores so getting proper gear & lubing up is going to be absolutely critical to success.

Right now, I need to get a coach that can provide me with a blue print to work from, help me plan my schedule, guide me in nutrition and give me insight to questions I don't even know to ask.

 

 

 

 

 

First and foremost :) :  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZGTUS

Ill PM you my coach's contact info.  He is a great guy and knows his stuff, especially on the building up to a desirable race.  He is also a nutrition expert and can talk your ear off on the topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ThreeThousand said:

I 100% agree on DeSoto.  I've done 14 fulls and every one has been in the Rivieras.  I wouldn't race anything past an hour on the bike without them.  You want to spend your $$ on your bike touch points - shoes/socks and shorts/tri suits.  Comfort on a long day is priceless.

:eek: Truly amazing! Multi sports aint cheap, I'm finding that out but if you're going through the endeavor you might as well be as comfortable as possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Oh good...pee chat.

Is this where I discuss the brown chunky pee I had after a run a few weeks ago?

  • Love 1
  • Thinking 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I ran fast this morning.  I just wanted everyone to know.

Are you going to tell us how fast or do we need to wait for your weekly training summary like we used to provide pre-strava?

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I ran fast this morning.  I just wanted everyone to know.

Of course you did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

Is this where I discuss the brown chunky pee I had after a run a few weeks ago?

Wrong hole. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lumpy19 said:

Is this where I discuss the brown chunky pee I had after a run a few weeks ago?

Was it dark yellow ..almost rust colored?  I get that on occasion after a really challenging workout - longer mileage, faster pacing, or hard intervals or hills.  That seems to tell me that I've stressed the muscles and broken them down to some degree, which would be a good thing, as they theoretically heal up stronger.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lumpy19 said:

Yes CL is me, there are some freaks in here, some of you can really run, holy hell

I'm the slow guy.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

Are you going to tell us how fast or do we need to wait for your weekly training summary like we used to provide pre-strava?

Wednesday: 6.33/6:54/145.  Weather was unusually cool so I picked it up after the first few miles.  Last four: 6:45, 6:32, 6:32, 6:12

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Wednesday: 6.33/6:54/145.  Weather was unusually cool so I picked it up after the first few miles miles.  Last four: 6:45, 6:32, 6:32, 6:12

Here you go.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gruecd said:

Needed to see my run on Strava, so I ended up downloading the .fit file directly from my watch to my PC and then uploading it manually to Strava.  #addict

This actually worked!  Look at the old guy using technology.  :shock:

I was afraid I've have to resort to MapMyRun, which I trust is still operating just fine.  :ElFloppo

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Alright, will look for some more feedback to try and plan a bit. All these changes and moving targets obviously aren't fun so just trying to figure the best approach.

As it stands, I don't see any way J&J happens. Washington with highest 7 day total since this all started. So, Minocqua it is. Except looks like they may have to adjust the course and it may be even more hilly. As we were planning on a downhill race, we haven't trained with hills at all. In fact, we've avoided them, doing most of our runs at a park that is relatively flat. So, this won't bode well for my wife's BQ chances. I think she has accepted that at this point. We will still have J&J next year so now looking at this year as getting the marathon experience and give herself a better chance for next year.

Anyway, here is where we are. Her official BQ cutoff is 3:50 (8:46 pace). The initial goal was 3:45 (8:35 pace), but then when this all hit and knowing Boston wasn't happening and 2021 would have 2 years worth, we adjusted that to 3:40 (8:23) as a safe goal to qualify. Plus, doing Hanson's, she was already hitting those paces comfortably enough and did all her SOS workouts based on that number (even before the adjustment). Factoring in the downhill, it seemed safe and reasonable to go for that.

Now, obviously, that's not the case anymore. She not only loses the downhill but gains elevation to deal with that she hasn't trained for.

So, what should be the goal now? 

1) Keep the 3:40 goal, be aggressive, knowing it may not go well? Can still learn enough from that?

2) Adjust to 3:45 goal that is probably more doable but may not be enough to get in? 

3) Forget a specific time goal and run to effort/HR and just see what happens to get the first marathon done and gain experience for next year?

4) Adjust last 6 weeks of training to help with the change? What specifically?

To clarify, she did 36 miles two weeks ago, only 30 miles last week while on a difficult week at work and as her "break" week and she jumped back into Hanson's to complete the final 7 weeks again this week. Other than last week, she's been "on" since December. And this heat/humidity is making things much harder. At least we start to get a little break in temps next week it seems.

Edited by gianmarco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#3, which will be faster than #1.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#4, then #3 for her first marathon.

Re #4: Add hills.  Lord knows you've got 'em in your area.  Immediately add some hills into runs a couple of times a week.  After acclimating, consider a couple of SOS based on hill repeats.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

#4, then #3 for her first marathon.

Re #4: Add hills.  Lord knows you've got 'em in your area.  Immediately add some hills into runs a couple of times a week.  After acclimating, consider a couple of SOS based on hill repeats.

:goodposting:

And given where she is fitness wise it may be a good thing to add this challenge anyway. Cause I was tempted to suggest adding mileage, but hills would likely be more productive/efficient anyway.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Alright, will look for some more feedback to try and plan a bit. All these changes and moving targets obviously aren't fun so just trying to figure the best approach.

As it stands, I don't see any way J&J happens. Washington with highest 7 day total since this all started. So, Minocqua it is. Except looks like they may have to adjust the course and it may be even more hilly. As we were planning on a downhill race, we haven't trained with hills at all. In fact, we've avoided them, doing most of our runs at a park that is relatively flat. So, this won't bode well for my wife's BQ chances. I think she has accepted that at this point. We will still have J&J next year so now looking at this year as getting the marathon experience and give herself a better chance for next year.

Anyway, here is where we are. Her official BQ cutoff is 3:50 (8:46 pace). The initial goal was 3:45 (8:35 pace), but then when this all hit and knowing Boston wasn't happening and 2021 would have 2 years worth, we adjusted that to 3:40 (8:23) as a safe goal to qualify. Plus, doing Hanson's, she was already hitting those paces comfortably enough and did all her SOS workouts based on that number (even before the adjustment). Factoring in the downhill, it seemed safe and reasonable to go for that.

Now, obviously, that's not the case anymore. She not only loses the downhill but gains elevation to deal with that she hasn't trained for.

So, what should be the goal now? 

1) Keep the 3:40 goal, be aggressive, knowing it may not go well? Can still learn enough from that?

2) Adjust to 3:45 goal that is probably more doable but may not be enough to get in? 

3) Forget a specific time goal and run to effort/HR and just see what happens to get the first marathon done and gain experience for next year?

4) Adjust last 6 weeks of training to help with the change? What specifically?

To clarify, she did 36 miles two weeks ago, only 30 miles to last week while on a difficult week at work and as her "break" week and she jumped back into Hanson's to complete the final 7 weeks again.

#1

/thread

ETA:  OK, or maybe #2

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Oh good...pee chat.

 

1 hour ago, lumpy19 said:

Is this where I discuss the brown chunky pee I had after a run a few weeks ago?

Yeah, can we get back to poop talk?  Or is that what we just did?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

I'm the slow guy.

Hold my beer.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

#3, which will be faster than #1.

Yeah, #3 officially but with the pressure off, hopefully that ends up being #1 or #2.  And, if not, it's still a success to finish that first one.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is crazy thinking about a BQ attempt on a first marathon.  I know it's doable for her but still.  I keep thinking about my first marathon.  I didn't even have a watch or smartphone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Juxtatarot said:

It is crazy thinking about a BQ attempt on a first marathon.  I know it's doable for her but still.  I keep thinking about my first marathon.  I didn't even have a watch or smartphone.

I obviously have never run one and I know from everything I've read and heard from you guys how difficult it is, especially that first time, and the respect it commands.  But I think she had a decent chance if things had otherwise remained as planned with the course.  Maybe I'm a too optimistic, but would have been nice to see what would have happened.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worst part of this whole Garmin outage is that Jim Walmsley set out yesterday morning to FKT the Hardrock 100 course.  So I've been following along on https://share.garmin.com/walmsleyruns, he was about two hours up on Killian's in-race record when I went to bed last night.  Woke up this morning to see that his tracker hadn't updated since last night.  Of course my first thought was "I hope he just pulled the plug and is sleeping in a car, and he didn't fall off the damn mountain." Was relieved to see the Garmin news a little later.  But then I just finally saw on FB that he had stomach issues and had to pull the plug, he was probably 80+miles in and still way up on the record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I obviously have never run one and I know from everything I've read and heard from you guys how difficult it is, especially that first time, and the respect it commands.  But I think she had a decent chance if things had otherwise remained as planned with the course.  Maybe I'm a too optimistic, but would have been nice to see what would have happened.....

I meant "crazy" in a good way.  Rereading, that may not have been clear.  I'm also optimistic about her chances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I meant "crazy" in a good way.  Rereading, that may not have been clear.  I'm also optimistic about her chances.

She's also going to have a very experienced (and good-looking) personal pacer...

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gruecd said:

She's also going to have a very experienced (and good-looking) personal pacer...

I'm not pacing her, #######.

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I'm not pacing her, #######.

I’ll give you the “good-looking” part :wub: but I also said “experienced.” :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tri-man 47 said:

Was it dark yellow ..almost rust colored?  I get that on occasion after a really challenging workout - longer mileage, faster pacing, or hard intervals or hills.  That seems to tell me that I've stressed the muscles and broken them down to some degree, which would be a good thing, as they theoretically heal up stronger.  

Yes, I called my doctor in a full on panic but I think you're right based on all my internet reading since that incident.

I've also learned that I probably wasn't hydrating properly and I've been working on that as well.

Chunky brown pee is not fun

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#3 could be hard to pull off on first marathon as could lead to a great first half or so and then a crapshoot second half or so. I think if you consider the expected HR rise into the pacing it’s a good idea to guard against the out too fast.  I reckon HR will probably rise ~30-50 bpm from start to finish and the longer it’s on the higher end the tougher the day.  

And agree on adding hills for last month or so of training but wonder what a recommended dose would be so as to not overdo a good thing?  I’d prob do more casually on shorter stuff and maybe 2 or 3 in midst of longer to get stronger and more confident but not zap my legs too bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 4:25 PM, gruecd said:

Then afterwards it's straight onto the boot dryer for the shoes.  

For all the new guys, this makes a great Christmas gift (or bday present, anniversary gift, or wedding present).

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.