What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (1 Viewer)

I'm in the same boat. I'm contemplating starting Montgomery over Cooper. Especially since Casey Hayward is on Cooper. Trying to make up for the loss of production by Rawls. I just have that feeling that I'm going to regret whatever decision I do make. I want to say Montgomery is a safer option with Starks out and Michael sick and not being that good. But for whatever reason they just don't utilize Montgomery when he is on the field with consistency. I get that he's been limited, but when he's out there they aren't using him the way they should be. Their offense clicks so much better when they use him. I would think common sense would prevail but it hasn't yet.
With Julio out, I'm basically down to Montgomery, Michael Thomas, or Tate as my WR2.  Thomas is still iffy, and he has Arizona this week (would he draw Peterson?).  That being said, over the last 5 weeks, Arizona has given up the 5th most points to WRs, although I suspect those points are for WRs Peterson doesn't cover. 

I'm not excited about starting Tate vs NYG with Stafford's finger issues; I think I'm going to go with Montgomery.

I said when Monty first emerged that he could be a season changer. He's going to carry his believers to the finals...

I said when Monty first emerged that he could be a season changer. He's going to carry his believers to the finals...
I believed in him. I just couldn't believe in the Packers "brain trust" for recognizing their offense is much better when they utilize him. We all know it, but they apparently couldn't figure it out. Because of that he was a risky play. I was contemplating picking him up and starting him over Cooper. I didn't. And now I'm sure the team I'm playing in the Championship will get him. Sucks when you have a short bench and don't want to drop someone who your competition could pick up and start against you.

Started him in all my leagues, and with any luck tonight, will be in the finals in all of them.  Thank you, Mr. Montgomery.

I believed in him. I just couldn't believe in the Packers "brain trust" for recognizing their offense is much better when they utilize him. We all know it, but they apparently couldn't figure it out. Because of that he was a risky play. I was contemplating picking him up and starting him over Cooper. I didn't. And now I'm sure the team I'm playing in the Championship will get him. Sucks when you have a short bench and don't want to drop someone who your competition could pick up and start against you.
I believed in him too. Problem was he's only a WR in our league and if he's only playing RB for the Packers his floor is really low. If he puts up a decent RB day of say 80 yards and a couple of catches that's not horrible for a RB but if you need an upside play at WR that's not looking so hot. 10 points in PPR isn't anything great at all at WR. He was sitting on the WW in my league (tight roster limits so a few decent players are still out there) and I needed a WR but one with a higher ceiling. I passed on Montgomery because I was worried about the low floor. Went JJ Nelson. Team in first place sits Britt and grabs Montgomery and that's why he's the team in first place this year. 

But I still worry about Montgomery if he's just a WR. I think he's far less valuable in leagues like that. I'm not sure how many 160-yard/2 TD games you can expect from him. Even Rodgers said after the game that really came out of nowhere. 

I believed in him too. Problem was he's only a WR in our league and if he's only playing RB for the Packers his floor is really low. If he puts up a decent RB day of say 80 yards and a couple of catches that's not horrible for a RB but if you need an upside play at WR that's not looking so hot. 10 points in PPR isn't anything great at all at WR. He was sitting on the WW in my league (tight roster limits so a few decent players are still out there) and I needed a WR but one with a higher ceiling. I passed on Montgomery because I was worried about the low floor. Went JJ Nelson. Team in first place sits Britt and grabs Montgomery and that's why he's the team in first place this year. 

But I still worry about Montgomery if he's just a WR. I think he's far less valuable in leagues like that. I'm not sure how many 160-yard/2 TD games you can expect from him. Even Rodgers said after the game that really came out of nowhere. 
yea that's my problem with him also, really need him to get a RB tag for next week.  Not going to happen, I emailed the site a couple weeks back asking :angry:

Started Adams over him thinking exactly what you wrote out above....

yea that's my problem with him also, really need him to get a RB tag for next week.  Not going to happen, I emailed the site a couple weeks back asking :angry:

Started Adams over him thinking exactly what you wrote out above....
We discussed it in my league (I'm co-commish). I don't think you can make a position change like that in Week 15. Not fair at this point. Others may have wanted him if he was a RB and it definitely impacts things now. 

I am wondering how others view him if he's WR-only in their leagues? I really like Montgomery and it's not just cuz I'm a Packers homer but as a WR only he really looks like a WR4 to me. Maybe a low-end WR3 with some upside but he absolutely needs to score to get you that upside and it's not like the Green Bay running game is known for rushing touchdowns. They're bottom half of the league in that stat and that's after getting two from Montgomery yesterday.  

I'm wondering what site you guys are playing on... most of the major hosting platforms have had him as a RB for months.

That said, I plugged him in for Julio in 2 leagues yesterday -- so not even at RB.  The wire is completely shot in my leagues though as we have really deep benches.

I'm wondering what site you guys are playing on... most of the major hosting platforms have had him as a RB for months.

That said, I plugged him in for Julio in 2 leagues yesterday -- so not even at RB.  The wire is completely shot in my leagues though as we have really deep benches.
Hes a WR only in both sites my leagues use (MFL & CBS)

Hes a WR only in both sites my leagues use (MFL & CBS)
Ah... Yahoo and ESPN both have him as a RB/WR... and Yahoo held out what seemed like forever.  I think NFL.com also has him as a RB.  Hell, the Packers own depth chart has him as a RB.

Monty tried his hardest to win me my game, but unfortunately I went against a stacked lineup and despite a good showing from my team, I didn't make it through.

I'm glad he finally showed us what he's got though. As others have said, I never lost faith in Monty but McCarthy.

I do think his sickle cell played a huge role in his playing time since the Falcons game. The coaches came out and said he was on snap count for the Indy and Titans game. Then Starks came back and they eased Monty back in. If it never flaired up I think we woulda seen a whole lot of Monty this season.

Good luck to everyone who has him. There is no way he wouldn't be in my lineup for week 16 if I was still in it.

Anyone have good material to counter a commish who is trying to remove eligibility for the championship game next week?  I want to keep playing him at Wr due to some funky WR running play scoring rules in our league.  Our commish is trying to move him to just RB eligibility.  Anyone have a good counter argument to that?

Anyone have good material to counter a commish who is trying to remove eligibility for the championship game next week?  I want to keep playing him at Wr due to some funky WR running play scoring rules in our league.  Our commish is trying to move him to just RB eligibility.  Anyone have a good counter argument to that?
If it was okay for the regular season and playoffs, it's okay for the championship. If it was such an issue, it should've been handled sooner. Can't strip eligibility the week of the championship and leave you trying to scramble to find someone to replace him.

If it was okay for the regular season and playoffs, it's okay for the championship. If it was such an issue, it should've been handled sooner. Can't strip eligibility the week of the championship and leave you trying to scramble to find someone to replace him.
Exactly...unless it's an extreme situation you don't change rules in the middle of the season (let alone for just the championship)...

My counter argument is that you should win next week, collect your money, and don't go anywhere near that commish again.  

That's such an obvious overreach of commish power, I really can't believe it.  Why would a commish overrule your hosting site, and for the championship week?  That's absurd.  

I remember facing two QBs in the finals a few years ago when Joe Webb was listed as a WR, QB. The commish, rightly, let it happen as per league rules. He stunk anyway and didn't effect the outcome.

The issue is that the fantasy sites have resisted changing Montgomery's position. The Packer site clearly shows him listed as a RB: http://www.packers.com/team/players.html

And McCarthy clearly stated that Montgomery is a RB.  :shrug:
It's not an issue.

League hosting software is clear that they don't change positions after season start.

If someone has a DE playing LB, the sites don't change it on a weekly basis.

If Terrelle Pryor has to jump in at QB for a week, good for the Pryor owner.

If Montgomery is getting carries, good for the Montgomery owner.

It's really that easy. For a commish to decide championship week to arbitrarily decide THIS was the week to change it is crazy.

The Montgomery owner made all roster moves the last two months with the assumption that Ty was a WR. How many moves would he have done different if he knew that wasn't the case?

I am not advocating a change in Montgomery's position designation, only pointing out why some folks might be up in arms about it. I do agree that players should remain with their designation after the season starts.

And yeah that commissioner is off his rocker trying to change NOW.

On another note: any GB homers have inside info on how Ty may be used in week 16? Pretty big fantasy game, obv. What's the news up north?

Is he fools gold for the championship week? Or a must start?
- He looked awfully good in week 15.

- His offensive line is top tier right now.

- Minnesota is better defending the run than Chicago but they are only average. They are ranked 16th in DVOA run defense and 18th in rushing yards allowed per game.

- They have allowed only 8 rushing TDs all year, however. That's tied for 5th best.

- Jordan Howard, Fat Rob, David Johnson, Frank Gore and Ezekiel Elliot have all had good days against Minnesota.

- This game has huge playoff implications and Minnesota is still in it so they have every reason to play hard. However, you could have said the same thing about last week and they looked awful. 

All in all, I don't think I can sit him.

- He looked awfully good in week 15.

- His offensive line is top tier right now.

- Minnesota is better defending the run than Chicago but they are only average. They are ranked 16th in DVOA run defense and 18th in rushing yards allowed per game.

- They have allowed only 8 rushing TDs all year, however. That's tied for 5th best.

- Jordan Howard, Fat Rob, David Johnson, Frank Gore and Ezekiel Elliot have all had good days against Minnesota.

- This game has huge playoff implications and Minnesota is still in it so they have every reason to play hard. However, you could have said the same thing about last week and they looked awful. 

All in all, I don't think I can sit him.
Hope you're right about him. I didn't watch his game. What if Adams doesn't drop those 2 TDs? Are we still viewing him as an almost must start...

For those who can play him at RB he looks like a strong RB2 with clear RB1 upside this week. If I had him at RB and needed him there I wouldn't hesitate to start him.

For those who can only play him at WR, though, I still think he's much riskier for the reasons I outlined previously. If he doesn't score and gets you a 9-10 point game in PPR that's a killer for a WR. That's not someone you really want in your lineup, especially during championship week.

Good news is Vikings' run defense seems to be bleeding TD runs lately but as we all know counting on TDs can be tricky, especially from unexpected sources. And as I posted before the Packers generally this season have not been a reliable source to target for TD runs. I like Montgomery and as a Packers' fan I'm excited about what he's bringing to the offense but from a fantasy perspective if he's just a WR I'm not sure how confident I could be starting him. Looks like more of a low-end WR3 to me and would really need a TD to deliver. Even if he rushed for 100 yards he's only catching 2-3 passes a game so 100 yards and a couple of catches is around 12-13 points in PPR. Not terrible but 37 WRs scored at least 12 points in PPR in Week 15. Montgomery's not separating himself from that pack unless he scores. 

ETA - Of course this is exactly what I thought about him last week which is why I didn't start him and we all saw how that turned out so I absolutely could be wrong about him again this week. I just think the risk element with Montgomery as WR-only is real and needs to be factored into the equation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who can play him at RB he looks like a strong RB2 with clear RB1 upside this week. If I had him at RB and needed him there I wouldn't hesitate to start him.

For those who can only play him at WR, though, I still think he's much riskier for the reasons I outlined previously. If he doesn't score and gets you a 9-10 point game in PPR that's a killer for a WR. That's not someone you really want in your lineup, especially during championship week.

Good news is Vikings' run defense seems to be bleeding TD runs lately but as we all know counting on TDs can be tricky, especially from unexpected sources. And as I posted before the Packers generally this season have not been a reliable source to target for TD runs. I like Montgomery and as a Packers' fan I'm excited about what he's bringing to the offense but from a fantasy perspective if he's just a WR I'm not sure how confident I could be starting him. Looks like more of a low-end WR3 to me and would really need a TD to deliver. Even if he rushed for 100 yards he's only catching 2-3 passes a game so 100 yards and a couple of catches is around 12-13 points in PPR. Not terrible but 37 WRs scored at least 12 points in PPR in Week 15. Montgomery's not separating himself from that pack unless he scores. 

ETA - Of course this is exactly what I thought about him last week which is why I didn't start him and we all saw how that turned out so I absolutely could be wrong about him again this week. I just think the risk element with Montgomery as WR-only is real and needs to be factored into the equation. 
I'm glad that the Packers finally are using him. I would roll with him this week, but have a really hard time starting him over Le'Veon, McCoy or Howard, even though I think he could outscore all of them. I think the drawback is that we saw how good the offense looked with him, but then he wasn't utilized very much for a while. Even with the Sickle Cell, he was on the field and wasn't being utilized. I'm thinking it's a trust issue for many at this point. Is the team going to stick with him or try to get fancy and do something else again?

I'm glad that the Packers finally are using him. I would roll with him this week, but have a really hard time starting him over Le'Veon, McCoy or Howard, even though I think he could outscore all of them. I think the drawback is that we saw how good the offense looked with him, but then he wasn't utilized very much for a while. Even with the Sickle Cell, he was on the field and wasn't being utilized. I'm thinking it's a trust issue for many at this point. Is the team going to stick with him or try to get fancy and do something else again?
I'd start him over Howard but that's just my call and no not me being a homer. I like Howard a lot. :)

I wish I had the option of Montgomery at RB. In my league he's WR-only and I just think that comes with a huge amount of risk which stinks given what he clearly has shown he can do. 

I'd start him over Howard but that's just my call and no not me being a homer. I like Howard a lot. :)

I wish I had the option of Montgomery at RB. In my league he's WR-only and I just think that comes with a huge amount of risk which stinks given what he clearly has shown he can do. 
It's funny because he was WR only in NFL.com. Now he's RB only. I would probably start him over Amari Cooper this week if I could start him at WR. So we're at different positions. It's Super Bowl week and decisions like this shouldn't be so hard. Never bench your studs, but I would consider sitting Bell against Baltimore for him. I can't and I won't, but I feel like I'm going to regret it. I think Ty has a good chance to have a great game. But then again, I'm of the belief that division games are played differently and just because Minnesota fell apart last week, doesn't necessarily mean they will this week. 

I know Cooper has had a rough couple of weeks but I don't think I could sit him vs. the Colts in favor of Montgomery. Even if I needed the upside does Montgomery really have more than Amari Cooper? That'd be a tough one for me. I don't have Cooper so my decisions with Montgomery are a bit lower on the WR food chain. :)  

The "Start or sit Montgomery if he's only a WR" math changes considerably for non-PPR imo.  In that case, 15 touches for even 70 yards represents a nice floor, coupled with a considerable ceiling which we saw last week.

in non-ppr, he'd be tough to sit.

The "Start or sit Montgomery if he's only a WR" math changes considerably for non-PPR imo.  In that case, 15 touches for even 70 yards represents a nice floor, coupled with a considerable ceiling which we saw last week.

in non-ppr, he'd be tough to sit.
Agreed. I only play PPR so I'm only viewing through that lens. :) But yeah in standard he's not as risky at WR as he in PPR.  

I look at Montgomery like I would Tyler Lockett... he's in multiple scenarios where he will get the ball. In fact, they are almost identical. Montgomery can return punts/kicks. He can run the ball, and he can catch the ball

The fact that you have one player potentially scoring in 3 different types of scenarios is someone you have to find a way to get into your lineup

I look at Montgomery like I would Tyler Lockett... he's in multiple scenarios where he will get the ball. In fact, they are almost identical. Montgomery can return punts/kicks. He can run the ball, and he can catch the ball

The fact that you have one player potentially scoring in 3 different types of scenarios is someone you have to find a way to get into your lineup
That's a great point. I don't think Montgomery has the return talent that Lockett does (or Tyreek Hill to name other player like that) but that's a very good point. 

This is the dilemma I have. I can sit him for Jeffrey or Hopkins. Non PPR....
But, you really can't sit him, right? You've gotta choose to bench either Hopkins or Jeffery. It's almost a guarantee Ty gets more touches than either of them, and that's what matters in Non PPR/Standard leagues. I'd bench Alshon vs Josh Norman. Nuk finally seemed to get things going once Savage was in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread