What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB/WR Ty Montgomery, NE (4 Viewers)

Well I may have spoken too soon about his redraft value. Getting a lot of PT and looking very good out there.

I haven't received any offers for him anywhere, but after tonight I wouldn't be surprised by a few lowball nibbles.

Think I'll keep him though. Even among GB's solid WR group, his athleticism really stands out.

I wish Rodgers had a Sterling Sharpe, now that guy was a beast of a WR.

Ty had a good game, he looked good catching the short passes, let's not start comparing him to one of the best ever. I really think that what we saw is his strength, short passes and good hard running after the catch. I know he was the intended WR on the deep PI on Sherman, but I'm not sold on that being his game. But I certainly hope I am wrong, I want this kid to be awesome.

Posted it elsewhere, but here's one of his best plays from the Seattle game:

https://vine.co/v/ePIU75Dr3QX

Athleticism is apparent and that was also a pretty good pluck for a guy who is supposed to have stone hands.

I feel like he's a sneaky buy right now in dynasty. So little hype entering the league, but he looks legit and the offense is money.

Adams has an extra day with the Monday night game but if he sits I think we start to see the rise this week. Loved what I saw on Sunday. Grabbed him in all my redrafts this week. Seems to have a burst and wiggle that jones and Adams don't have. Built Rapport and trust with Rodgers this week. Very anxious to see what he can get going Monday

I think he will be starting In a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adams has an extra day with the Monday night game but if he sits I think we start to see the rise this week. Loved what I saw on Sunday. Grabbed him in all my redrafts this week. Seems to have a burst and wiggle that jones and Adams don't have. Built Rapaport and trust with Rodgers this week. Very anxious to see what he can get going Monday

Ian?

I think Jones has been the roadblock here, not Adams. The Packers seem to be badly lacking Jordy's deep threat and Montgomery could provide that. They could use him inside the 20s and utilize Jones in the red zone.

Adams has an extra day with the Monday night game but if he sits I think we start to see the rise this week. Loved what I saw on Sunday. Grabbed him in all my redrafts this week. Seems to have a burst and wiggle that jones and Adams don't have. Built Rapaport and trust with Rodgers this week. Very anxious to see what he can get going Monday

Ian?
:lmao: :bag:

I think Jones has been the roadblock here, not Adams. The Packers seem to be badly lacking Jordy's deep threat and Montgomery could provide that. They could use him inside the 20s and utilize Jones in the red zone.
Been saying this from day one, to the dismay of the pro Adams crowd. Adams just doesn't do Jordy things. Ty can't do all of them yet, but he does more than Adams can in that role.

I liked what i saw last week but not sure he will get the opportunity needed without injuries in front of him.

They are using him a lot on the outside. He's not completely terrible against outside coverage, but IMO his best role would actually be the Cobb role. Slight problem there, as Cobb himself is currently occupying that position. They are basically just using Ty as a decoy. Still nice to see him get a TD and it's encouraging that he's getting so many snaps, even if injury is part of the reason.

Most 3rd-4th round rookie picks amount to nothing, so I'm willing to take the bad short-term opportunity to get a guy who might at least be able to play a bit. Your alternatives in that ADP range are mostly DOA. As for how he might get on the field, Jordy is 30 and Adams is still relatively unknown. Anything can happen in the NFL. What I like about Ty is that he's dirt cheap. Basically a free gamble. If he were going 2nd round of rookie drafts it would be a tougher call, but at his ADP he's a snap call for me.
Adams might be out for a bit. I'm a fan but so many of the GB receivers look great.

Montgomery got 66 snaps vs KC. I think the chance he might blow up vs SF is worth taking a shot at him now.

Can Montgomery get the deep ball? The Pack have been lacking that.

Most 3rd-4th round rookie picks amount to nothing, so I'm willing to take the bad short-term opportunity to get a guy who might at least be able to play a bit. Your alternatives in that ADP range are mostly DOA. As for how he might get on the field, Jordy is 30 and Adams is still relatively unknown. Anything can happen in the NFL. What I like about Ty is that he's dirt cheap. Basically a free gamble. If he were going 2nd round of rookie drafts it would be a tougher call, but at his ADP he's a snap call for me.
Adams might be out for a bit. I'm a fan but so many of the GB receivers look great.

Montgomery got 66 snaps vs KC. I think the chance he might blow up vs SF is worth taking a shot at him now.

It seems like Rodgers stopped looking Montgomery's way after the touchdown Monday night. It started off like it might be a breakout game for him. Rodgers is so locked in on Cobb and Jones right now that I'm not sure Montgomery is worth a start, even with Adams out.

It seems like Rodgers stopped looking Montgomery's way after the touchdown Monday night. It started off like it might be a breakout game for him. Rodgers is so locked in on Cobb and Jones right now that I'm not sure Montgomery is worth a start, even with Adams out.
If Montgomery is playing every snap on offense (like he did last week), I think you could do a lot worse for a WR3. If you're league gives return stats for points, then I would for sure think he is a viable WR3. This of course is dependant on Adams being out.

I think he would be a lot better in the slot role. He can play outside, but he's more of a mismatch in the middle where he can beat up on linebackers and nickel corners. A lot of what they did with him at Stanford was just getting him the ball on quick passes and letting him get YAC. In terms of beating corners on the outside, he's not as strong. He's closer to Cobb than Adams in play style and is better suited to Cobb's role. I honestly would not start him in most leagues even if Adams is out, but he *could* have a decent game and would be a reasonable flyer in large daily fantasy events where not many people will own him.

Who has the better game tomorrow- Jones or Montgomery?
Based on last week, I'd say Jones by far. I don't know if Rodgers looked Ty's way once in the second half. It was only one game, but I don't know if he has faith in Ty to win his matchups on the edge just yet. I think Ty would have a better game if they moved him around and got him the ball on short passes, which is where he's most effective. As I mentioned previously, Cobb gets most of those opportunities on this team.

I'm still pulling for him. Just not expecting much.

To this layperson, Montgomery has much more natural ability than Adams who appears to be more of a tactician. In any event, it's an embarrassment of riches for the GB WR core.

What's up with rotoworld being so negative about this guy?

I'm pretty happy I picked him up a couple of weeks ago.

What's up with rotoworld being so negative about this guy?

I'm pretty happy I picked him up a couple of weeks ago.
To be fair his TD did come on broken coverage. He caught the ball and pretty much looked around like where is everybody.

To this layperson, Montgomery has much more natural ability than Adams who appears to be more of a tactician. In any event, it's an embarrassment of riches for the GB WR core.
Just don't say this in the Adams thread.
I don't think Adams is going anywhere

Asked about whether the offense needed somebody who could stretch the field, Rodgers said:

"I think we've got that guy, but he's been hurt the last couple weeks. The bye week will be nice to get some of those guys back, but Davante Adams, I think, is a Pro Bowl caliber player and without him and without Jordy (Nelson) we need to find some other ways to attack the outside stuff and still be effective inside.

"Their plan, I think, was to really key on Randall at times in the slot and then say that we'll make somebody else beat us. We were fortunate enough to have a couple big plays for scores, but we didn't sustain drives like we usually do."

Asked about whether the offense needed somebody who could stretch the field, Rodgers said:

"I think we've got that guy, but he's been hurt the last couple weeks. The bye week will be nice to get some of those guys back, but Davante Adams, I think, is a Pro Bowl caliber player and without him and without Jordy (Nelson) we need to find some other ways to attack the outside stuff and still be effective inside.

"Their plan, I think, was to really key on Randall at times in the slot and then say that we'll make somebody else beat us. We were fortunate enough to have a couple big plays for scores, but we didn't sustain drives like we usually do."
You better tell Rodgers to stop running his mouth. ROYALWITCHEESE knows football on an entirely higher level.

Adams and Ty really don't play the same position. Adams is needed outside for when Jordy/Jones are gone.

The guy who should feel most threatened by Ty is Cobb. However, he just signed a new deal and isn't going anywhere until at least 2017, when his salary jumps from 1.5 to 8.6 million. Right now I think Ty is going to have to play understudy like Edelman did for Welker. However, they could still find enough snaps for him to be FF relevant.

Anyway, he looks like a good pick for anyone who took him in the rookie draft. He was a 3rd-4th rounder in most of my leagues. He looks like a guy who will stick around the league for a long time.

You better tell Rodgers to stop running his mouth. ROYALWITCHEESE knows football on an entirely higher level.
Dude, where did I say Adams stinks?? Nowhere. I just think Montgomery can do some things too. Enough to keep Adams from consistent WR2 numbers.

Dude, where did I say Adams stinks?? Nowhere. I just think Montgomery can do some things too. Enough to keep Adams from consistent WR2 numbers.
Nice backtrack. Didn't you say he was nothing special?

Nice backtrack. Didn't you say he was nothing special?
I said "not a special talent". I also projected him for 900 and 9. This is in response to those plugging him in for Jordy at 1200 yards and 10 TD. Go back and reread if you need clarification. I also said Ty does some things Adams can't do, which would keep Adams numbers down. That's the beauty of it, all one has to do is read the posts to find out what was said...

So you say he's not a special talent. Aaron Rodgers thinks he's a Pro Bowl caliber player. I'll go with Mr. Rodgers assessment.

Rodgers is a pretty big hype man though. Can't exactly take his word at face value, as we saw earlier in this thread.

As for Abbrederis, I listen to the Aaron Rodgers show weekly. Throughout the season, he frequently mentioned how much they were missing Abbrederis, and how he would have "helped them."
Rodgers also said Jarrett Boykin would be a "big time player for us at some point."

http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/news/items/aaron-rodgers-said-wr-jarrett-boykin-will-be-a-big-time-player-for-us-at-some-41052
Both Boykin and Abbrederis were eventually cut by the team (though Abbrederis is back for now).

Anyway, Adams owners don't really need to feel threatened by Montgomery. They can coexist pretty well. Montgomery is much better at YAC. Adams is much better at contested catches/jump balls. When Ty was lined up outside last week, they almost never targeted him. Just threw him one deep ball that went off his outstretched fingertips. Otherwise Rodgers didn't seem to look for him. However, they do stuff with him out of the backfield and in the slot that Adams can't do. Their own regional scout describe him as "a bigger Cobb."

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-draft/article-1/Stanford%E2%80%99s-Ty-Montgomery-a-%E2%80%98bigger-Cobb%E2%80%99/5497fa8d-35ed-45a0-a448-ef2eb59ec550

Rodgers is a pretty big hype man though. Can't exactly take his word at face value, as we saw earlier in this thread.

As for Abbrederis, I listen to the Aaron Rodgers show weekly. Throughout the season, he frequently mentioned how much they were missing Abbrederis, and how he would have "helped them."
Rodgers also said Jarrett Boykin would be a "big time player for us at some point."

http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/news/items/aaron-rodgers-said-wr-jarrett-boykin-will-be-a-big-time-player-for-us-at-some-41052
Both Boykin and Abbrederis were eventually cut by the team (though Abbrederis is back for now).

Anyway, Adams owners don't really need to feel threatened by Montgomery. They can coexist pretty well. Montgomery is much better at YAC. Adams is much better at contested catches/jump balls. When Ty was lined up outside last week, they almost never targeted him. Just threw him one deep ball that went off his outstretched fingertips. Otherwise Rodgers didn't seem to look for him. However, they do stuff with him out of the backfield and in the slot that Adams can't do. Their own regional scout describe him as "a bigger Cobb."

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-draft/article-1/Stanford%E2%80%99s-Ty-Montgomery-a-%E2%80%98bigger-Cobb%E2%80%99/5497fa8d-35ed-45a0-a448-ef2eb59ec550
He also bet 4.5 million that Ryan Braun was innocent. Glass half full kind of guy.

Is it worth adding him in redrafts yet? I also own Adams but I want in on the GB passing game.
Adams ankle seems to be the key. I really can't believe James Jones is still producing. Each week, I tell myself that it's a fluke and that should be over by now. He's the least athletic of their receivers and was cut by two teams in one year. But he keeps getting the touchdowns. Had a great repoire with Rodgers and he keeps going to him. I'm just not sure how he's getting open.

I think that once Adams returns, he'll become the number 2 guy behind Cobb. If Adams remains out for a few more weeks, I can see Montgomery's numbers getting better and better. Perhaps challenging Jones as the number two.

Is it worth adding him in redrafts yet? I also own Adams but I want in on the GB passing game.
Adams ankle seems to be the key. I really can't believe James Jones is still producing. Each week, I tell myself that it's a fluke and that should be over by now. He's the least athletic of their receivers and was cut by two teams in one year. But he keeps getting the touchdowns. Had a great repoire with Rodgers and he keeps going to him. I'm just not sure how he's getting open.

I think that once Adams returns, he'll become the number 2 guy behind Cobb. If Adams remains out for a few more weeks, I can see Montgomery's numbers getting better and better. Perhaps challenging Jones as the number two.
Seems a little silly to say it, but their offense is in a bit of trouble. Teams are stacking the box on them because there is no deep threat. They just aren't able to loosen up the top of the defense, and they are having a hard time sustaining drives. Lacy doesn't seem right either.

They sorely miss Jordy.

Adams isn't the vertical field stretching player that Jordy is, but they really need him. Defenses are swarming Cobb and taking their chances with Jones/Montgomery/R. Rodgers. Those guys are making plays here and there, but there is no consistency to the offense right now. They've scored 4 offensive TDs in the last 2 games, and one of them (Montgomery's) was due to a busted coverage.

I think it's possible/likely that Montgomery will eventually be a very good player for the Packers and in fantasy. I think he's not ready to do that in 2015 though.

ETA: The Packer offense dismantled the Chiefs in week three. James Jones in particular torched them. The Chiefs were playing without 2 of their three best CBs however, and the guys they had out there to replace them were stumblebums.

Seems a little silly to say it, but their offense is in a bit of trouble. Teams are stacking the box on them because there is no deep threat. They just aren't able to loosen up the top of the defense, and they are having a hard time sustaining drives. Lacy doesn't seem right either.

They sorely miss Jordy.

Adams isn't the vertical field stretching player that Jordy is, but they really need him. Defenses are swarming Cobb and taking their chances with Jones/Montgomery/R. Rodgers. Those guys are making plays here and there, but there is no consistency to the offense right now. They've scored 4 offensive TDs in the last 2 games, and one of them (Montgomery's) was due to a busted coverage.

I think it's possible/likely that Montgomery will eventually be a very good player for the Packers and in fantasy. I think he's not ready to do that in 2015 though.

ETA: The Packer offense dismantled the Chiefs in week three. James Jones in particular torched them. The Chiefs were playing without 2 of their three best CBs however, and the guys they had out there to replace them were stumblebums.
Are you hearing anything about Adams' recovery?

They sorely miss Jordy.

Are you hearing anything about Adams' recovery?
You won't see him before the bye week. I expect he'll be starting following the bye.

Frankly, I have been disappointed in Montgomery's play to date. The best possible scenario has unfolded for him and he really hasn't made the impact I expected. He has shown some flashes, but failed to some of the flash plays when they presented themselves. I guess I have to temper my expectations. :angry:

Frankly, I have been disappointed in Montgomery's play to date. The best possible scenario has unfolded for him and he really hasn't made the impact I expected. He has shown some flashes, but failed to some of the flash plays when they presented themselves. I guess I have to temper my expectations. :angry:
James Jones is screwing everything up. He's the one taking advantage of the scenario.

Come on man, hes a rookie. I think hes shown the flash plays, just no consistency.

Based on the impact rookies have made at the WR position lately is being a rookie legitimate excuse? I get what you are saying, but can you imagine a more favorable path to a starting job? He just hasn't made the impact I expected. It also seems that every game there are one or two plays he leaves on the field.

Again, maybe my expectations are too high, but I watched him at Stanford and he routinely made flash plays (when healthy).

I'm excited about what Montgomery brings to this offense long term. He's a bull, and just starting to gain Rodger's confidence. I have no doubt that James Jones can't stay this hot all season, and expect the baton to be handed off sooner or later (to Monty)

Based on the impact rookies have made at the WR position lately is being a rookie legitimate excuse? I get what you are saying, but can you imagine a more favorable path to a starting job? He just hasn't made the impact I expected. It also seems that every game there are one or two plays he leaves on the field.

Again, maybe my expectations are too high, but I watched him at Stanford and he routinely made flash plays (when healthy).
I just think your expectations are a tad too high. Be patient, it will pay off soon.

Based on the impact rookies have made at the WR position lately is being a rookie legitimate excuse?
I'd say yes. IMO last year's production from rookie WRs was an anomaly. Outside of Cooper and maybe Crowder lately has anybody from this year's class really done much?

Rodgers spreads the ball around so much that I think its hard for a rookie to come in and demand consistent targets but I think Montgomery will still have a FF impact at some point this year.

Man I talked with a Dynasty guru about this dude taking the lead role.. He wasnt having it.

Id try an ride this one out.. just my two cents

Yep, it's your expectations.

Montgomery ranks third in fantasy scoring from rookie WRs. Behind Cooper (obviously) and Lockett (the league I pulled this from rewards special teams TDs). What more could you realistically hope for from a guy you probably drafted in the third rookie draft round?

Users who are viewing this thread