What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (4 Viewers)

Good episode, but definitely the most lackluster of the season so far.

Not enough tension after what happened last week. Strange ending too....does anybody really care about where Jane sleeps at this point?

Not enough tension after what happened last week. Strange ending too....does anybody really care about where Jane sleeps at this point?
Previews seem to set up a little :wub: between Jane and Joanie.

:confused: You can't sustain action like the previous week's for episodes on end. A decrease in tension (as you put it) was both required and expected.

Think about how many weeks it took to set up the Capt. Turner/Dan Dority battle. Absent the setup, the payoff is weakened. The same likely holds true for wherever they are headed now.

Telling was both Hearst's comments that he wanted to do it simply, but now its getting complicated and Blazenov's (spelling? Russian telegrapher) reaction to whatever was in the cable Hearst sent.

Not to mention Alma's addiction now being almost common knowledge throughout the camp.

Still a great episode.

Why is everyone so scared of Hearst? I mean seriously, is the dude that intimidating?

I don't know, every now and again the language leaves me a bit confused, but what's the deal with the new guy that came into town to see Hearst at the end of the episode? Is he going to kill him or become a hired gun?

I think Joanie does. Maybe this will lead to a nude love scene; I've seen Jane (meh), Alma ( :excited: ), now I would like to see Joanie before the series comes to an end.Agreed about this show being a bit lackluster although I did like Dan threatening to pop Al.

I thought the episode was great. Hell, Utter giving Hearst the business in the jail cell was one of my favorite scenes of the season.

"Were ya drunk, Mr. Joooiige Hearst?"

Great episode. Lots of good things going on to keep me interested. Plenty of great lines as well. I thought Charlie to Hearst was great as well. Charlie seems to be more useful as this business with Hearst goes forward.

One thing that I have a bit of a problem with from last night's episode. Swearengine is in the process of sending Dan off to hire some gunmen in preparation for the war with Hearst. And Swearengine makes a point of telling Dan that character is of the utmost importance. That comment makes sense to me. But I cannot help but wonder. Hearst is the guy with Megabucks. Presumably, in any given bidding war in Deadwood, he's got deeper pockets than anyone else and should, therefore, win. Now, you've got Swearengine bringing in hired guns. If I were Hearst, I'd just make any such hired guns an offer they can't refuse from a financial perspective. That would seemingly double-up Swearengine's problems - instead of having a dozen guns on his side, that would be a dozen more guns pointed at him.

If bringing in hired guns is the next appropriate move by the Swearengine/Bullock side of the camp, wouldn't it have made more sense to have just killed Hearst now and possibly put HIS claims "into play". Most of his claims were, after all, bought up by Tolliver acting as agent for Hearst and under a trumped up atmosphere that such claims could be subject to dispute with impending statehood.

So I know Hearst is The Man and undoubtedly has some muscle of his own in "the diggings." But it just seems to me that Swearengine's looking to bring in hired help against Hearst would just invite Hearst to hire them away from Swearengine. That can't happen if Hearst is dead.

One thing that I have a bit of a problem with from last night's episode. Swearengine is in the process of sending Dan off to hire some gunmen in preparation for the war with Hearst. And Swearengine makes a point of telling Dan that character is of the utmost importance. That comment makes sense to me. But I cannot help but wonder. Hearst is the guy with Megabucks. Presumably, in any given bidding war in Deadwood, he's got deeper pockets than anyone else and should, therefore, win. Now, you've got Swearengine bringing in hired guns. If I were Hearst, I'd just make any such hired guns an offer they can't refuse from a financial perspective. That would seemingly double-up Swearengine's problems - instead of having a dozen guns on his side, that would be a dozen more guns pointed at him.

If bringing in hired guns is the next appropriate move by the Swearengine/Bullock side of the camp, wouldn't it have made more sense to have just killed Hearst now and possibly put HIS claims "into play". Most of his claims were, after all, bought up by Tolliver acting as agent for Hearst and under a trumped up atmosphere that such claims could be subject to dispute with impending statehood.

So I know Hearst is The Man and undoubtedly has some muscle of his own in "the diggings." But it just seems to me that Swearengine's looking to bring in hired help against Hearst would just invite Hearst to hire them away from Swearengine. That can't happen if Hearst is dead.
Al backed off on that at the end when he told Dan not to go.

Why is everyone so scared of Hearst? I mean seriously, is the dude that intimidating?

I don't know, every now and again the language leaves me a bit confused, but what's the deal with the new guy that came into town to see Hearst at the end of the episode? Is he going to kill him or become a hired gun?
Its obviously just not something shown on screen. No way does a man that powerful, that reviled, that full of himself NOT have a dozen men around him in a place like that. I've said several times, "he's alone, in a hotel that everyone has access to with a manager in the control of Al. Would be nothing to put a bullet in his head" - at least if Deadwood is really as it is depicted on screen. Obviously they just dont want to deal with it.

Why is everyone so scared of Hearst?  I mean seriously, is the dude that intimidating?

I don't know, every now and again the language leaves me a bit confused, but what's the deal with the new guy that came into town to see Hearst at the end of the episode?  Is he going to kill him or become a hired gun?
Its obviously just not something shown on screen. No way does a man that powerful, that reviled, that full of himself NOT have a dozen men around him in a place like that. I've said several times, "he's alone, in a hotel that everyone has access to with a manager in the control of Al. Would be nothing to put a bullet in his head" - at least if Deadwood is really as it is depicted on screen. Obviously they just dont want to deal with it.
Deal with what? The characters are based on real people and we all know that Hearst didn't die there.

Here's a question:

Apparently, Al was okay with getting hired guns to go after Hearst. That was to be Dan's next task. In the meantime, Charlie mentioned how Wild Bill would have taken a preemptive strike against someone like Hearst. He convinced Sol and then Bullock. So, how come when Bullock went to Al proposing the first strike did Al pull Dan back from getting the hired guns?

Would Al be letting Bullock et al attempt to take out Hearst which could have him sitting on the sidelines ("No Mr. Hearst. I was not involved in the attempt on you" type angle)? Or is there something else?

Was it me, or did this episode seem out of sorts. It was almost like they edited out certain stories lines and added others in. For example, no mention, none, of the theatre flakes. No sight of them in the background even. In the last couple of episodes, they had plenty of screen time and then nothing this episode. Same with Joanie. Other than the scene at the end, nothing. I realize that these may be connected through the theatre purchase story line and showing Joanie may require showing the theatre flakes. It was just weird. I expected an update on those I suppose. Okay fine. I wanted an update on Joanie. Perferrably not with Jane though..

I wanted an update on Joanie. Perferrably not with Jane though..
:eek: Maybe a flashback to Joanie and her sisters? Yikes!

Good episode. I knew Blazenov would spill the beans on Hearst's telegram.

I didn't quite catch what Joanie said she did to her sisters....did anyone get that?

I didn't quite catch what Joanie said she did to her sisters....did anyone get that?
She said she "slept with" them, and later hoped God would forgive her. You do the math. ;)

That action between Joanie and Jane could get interesting. Especially if they scrub all that crud off of Jane and let her dress more like a woman. Or at leat wear dome tighter chaps. Did they have strap-ons back then?

Loved when Al was getting sold on the swatches for his stump and Johnny knocked on the door. Al - *Please* come in. :lmao:

Interesting how the published letter from Bullock is being used in an attempt to bring the camp together.

Does anyone think the maids son from Liberia was trying to pull a fast one over on Hearst and was caught? I honestly don't know at this point.

Also got a kick out of Steve offering the General a job at the stables.

Did anyone catch the brothers names that look to get into it with Bullock in the next episode? Are they famous brothers from that time?

Does anyone think the maids son from Liberia was trying to pull a fast one over on Hearst and was caught? I honestly don't know at this point.
Yeah, I think Hearst saw right through the ruse. Didn't even come close to biting. But I think Hearst has decided he can make use of Odell in other ways, so I think Odell will come on board with Hearst for some devious shenaniganz. And Odell knows he was caught, too. Now it just needs to be revealed exactly what Hearst's plans are for Odell.

I think the brothers are the famous Earps of Tombstone.
Yep. Historical basis in that the Earps were believed to have had a run in with Bullock during their time in Deadwood. :thumbup:

Since when is Cinnamon good with peaches?
BTW, I think I might have an idea why some of the people eating the peaches are getting violently ill: Dan's "can opener" - God only knows where that has been. :X

BTW, I think I might have an idea why some of the people eating the peaches are getting violently ill: Dan's "can opener" - God only knows where that has been. :X
:lmao: Great to see Jewel again

Thought maybe Hearst turned her and poisoned the cinnamon. :thumbdown:

Yep. She's the only person other than Bullock who lets both Al and Dan know that she's not too happy with them.ETA: I guess Doc does too, but you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting how the published letter from Bullock is being used in an attempt to bring the camp together.

Did anyone catch the brothers names that look to get into it with Bullock in the next episode? Are they famous brothers from that time?
I didn't catch the coming attractions for next week, but these two factors may be related. Did the Earp Brothers have badges? If so, then the actor (forgot his name) that Al was telling about the meeting may have a point. Al was telling him that the meeting had decided to simply print a letter. Actor replies that the letter would stir public opinion and was a devious, and wise, strategy. If we follow that through, where would it go? Obviously it has to be picked up outside of the camp. If it gets seen in the State capital, or by the Feds somewhere, then they (state/feds) may feel public pressure to act on this murder. They may send marshals to arrest Hearst. After all, Bullock still has that body and Hearst has admitted that the knife was his. Open and shut case. And now the Earps show up. Wyatt was a marshal so this could be where the story is going. Granted, knowing what we know of the history of the camp, there is going to be a confrontation, and a conflagration, in the camp before the season is over. Great TV. Oops, not TV, HBO.

Yep. She's the only person other than Bullock who lets both Al and Dan know that she's not too happy with them.ETA: I guess Doc does too, but you know what I mean.
Speaking of which, what was with Al's tirade at Doc at the end? I was drifting off and got a little cornfyoozled.

Speaking of which, what was with Al's tirade at Doc at the end? I was drifting off and got a little cornfyoozled.
Think he views the Doc as one of his few friends and was pissed he was so sick with his TB.

Think he views the Doc as one of his few friends and was pissed he was so sick with his TB.
Agree, I think it's his way of showing he likes the Doc quite a bit.

Other than Dan, Doc is the only one Al can really trust.

Other than Dan, Doc is the only one Al can really trust.
Agreed...I think he also likes (or at least respects) Bullock since he always knows where he stands with him and Bullock has the intelligence to at least listen to Al's point of view.

To add to the Doc angle, Al was really po'ed when the Doc told him he was going to leave camp because he wasn't sure if he was contagious. That's when Al went sour. He threw the swatches down at him for two reasons: to cover his mouth when he's coughing and to use as a mask when he's walking around town.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best line of the episode was when Dan was kicking everyone out of the Gem before the meeting:

Dan: "Alright, let's go, you can get a double tomorrow."

Drunk (to whore): "That's alright, I'll spank it myself, you can just watch!"

Dan (as he throws the drunk outside): "You'll spank it in front of a mule!"

Another good episode last night.

The scenes with Steve and the horse were classic.

Anyone else think the Gem was gonna be lit up by the incoming mob?

I did think the Gem was going to get lit up. It was an OK episode for me. I'm getting a little bored by all these side stories, that to me, aren't really that entertaining. The actors are annoying, Steve and the General is over the top, Jane is getting stale....just feel like nothing has really happened since the Dan fight 3 weeks ago.

Maybe we'll finally get some action next week.

Some of the highlights for me was Hearst telling newspaper guy that his cowardice would be tested soon.

Al saying Bullock wasn't feeling right and was going downstairs for a bj. :lmao:

The Earps were annoying, I hope they get their heads blown off.....just joking....they are going to join the town against Hearst....that seems obvious.

I did think the Gem was going to get lit up. It was an OK episode for me. I'm getting a little bored by all these side stories, that to me, aren't really that entertaining. The actors are annoying, Steve and the General is over the top, Jane is getting stale....just feel like nothing has really happened since the Dan fight 3 weeks ago.

Maybe we'll finally get some action next week.

Some of the highlights for me was Hearst telling newspaper guy that his cowardice would be tested soon.

Al saying Bullock wasn't feeling right and was going downstairs for a bj. :lmao:

The Earps were annoying, I hope they get their heads blown off.....just joking....they are going to join the town against Hearst....that seems obvious.
I agree with the actors getting annoying. I like Langrishe O.K. but if the rest of that stuff involving the actors had never been there it would have left some time for something better.Overall a good episode, had some good parts, but nowhere near the best for this season.

Obvious? Was it Morgan's statement that they should kill Bullock and take his job that leads you to this conclusion? I'm refraining from looking into the actual history of the town, so maybe you're right, but I didn't get that impression at all. They seem like opportunists to me, and the wind is blowing Hearst's way right now.

:confused:

Anybody know how many episodes are left this year?

Also, the smiley Earp brother (Morgan?) is a bomb waiting to explode.

Users who are viewing this thread