What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charcandrick WEST - Should we be talking about this kid ? (2 Viewers)

Is he worth a number 1 waiver priority? In a league where he will be picked up after waivers clear? Coming from a Ware owner..

Not sure if this should go in the Assistant Coach or not, thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Tough for me to pull the trigger on a possible 1 week only start though. 
Yeah I'm almost in the same boat as u (8th pick) and I'm not taking the chance of him not clearing waivers. Unless you're stacked at rb there's no one else you'll be able to pick up to replace ware's production if he goes down. 

If I didn't own Ware then I wouldn't use a waiver pick on him 

LOL at using bulks scoring stats to prove your point. Asiata has had some monster games too. Is he a great RB?
Asiata put together 3 games in a row as the starter with that kind of production? Not even close, maybe one game.

Is the gap really that large between the two? You said production, not talent, so let's focus there and set talent aside for a second. The production is not some wide gap as you like to say, and if it were I would expect Ware to do much more than what West did.

West as the starter in 2015: 3 games 66 att  276 rush 3 TD, 9 rec 136 receiving 1recTD 0 fum (Def scoring against vs PIT 31st/DET 14th/DEN 23rd)

Ware as the starter in 2016: 6 games 95 att 492 rush 2 TD, 17 rec 318 receiving 1recTD 3 fum (vs SD 6th / HOU 11th / NYJ 17th / PIT 4th / OAK 10th / NO 2nd)

Considering Ware has had one of the easiest RB schedules this year, if the gap was so large I would have expected a much wider gap in stat compiling. Charc faced two tough defenses in 2015 vs running back scoring and one middling defense, while the toughest run D Ware has faced all year is NYJ 17th, the rest are all green matchups. Could this play a part in his gaudy efficiency? This is coming from a Ware owner, but a realistic one.

Well you should pick up West then. He was passed up for a reason though. Two totally different levels of talent. West is like 40 other RB's in the league. Competent but nothing special.
Last year Charles went down, the Chiefs turned to West (over Ware), and he balled out (as others have documented).

This year Charles couldn't answer the bell, the Chiefs turned to Ware (over West), and he's balled out.

I think your characterization of the talent levels is either a) way off, or b) irrelevant, because both guys have been very productive with their opportunity.

Asiata put together 3 games in a row as the starter with that kind of production? Not even close, maybe one game.

Is the gap really that large between the two? You said production, not talent, so let's focus there and set talent aside for a second. The production is not some wide gap as you like to say, and if it were I would expect Ware to do much more than what West did.

West as the starter in 2015: 3 games 66 att  276 rush 3 TD, 9 rec 136 receiving 1recTD 0 fum (Def scoring against vs PIT 31st/DET 14th/DEN 23rd)

Ware as the starter in 2016: 6 games 95 att 492 rush 2 TD, 17 rec 318 receiving 1recTD 3 fum (vs SD 6th / HOU 11th / NYJ 17th / PIT 4th / OAK 10th / NO 2nd)

Considering Ware has had one of the easiest RB schedules this year, if the gap was so large I would have expected a much wider gap in stat compiling. Charc faced two tough defenses in 2015 vs running back scoring and one middling defense, while the toughest run D Ware has faced all year is NYJ 17th, the rest are all green matchups. Could this play a part in his gaudy efficiency? This is coming from a Ware owner, but a realistic one.
Bulk stats are probably the least helpful when trying to determine who's playing better. The fumbles are a legitimate concern for Ware but other than an injury West will have a hard time out playing him.

Assuming both Ware and West are (get) healthy, IMO Reid will go to the formula that worked well last year. Ware getting the bulk of the early down/short yardage work, but West also in there liberally on passing downs to preserve both of them. I am sure that Reid is thinking long-term (playoffs), so after losing Charles yet again, I have to imagine that keeping both healthy is of tantamount importance. It's either that or having to hitch his wagon to Bishop Sankey having a key role.

Assuming both Ware and West are (get) healthy, IMO Reid will go to the formula that worked well last year. Ware getting the bulk of the early down/short yardage work, but West also in there liberally on passing downs to preserve both of them. I am sure that Reid is thinking long-term (playoffs), so after losing Charles yet again, I have to imagine that keeping both healthy is of tantamount importance. It's either that or having to hitch his wagon to Bishop Sankey having a key role.
Yeah cause Alex smith ain't doing anything alone

Ware owners are getting overly defensive for no reason. West saw a decent clip of snaps earlier in the season when he was healthy and Ware still put up monster numbers. West may be worked in, but it does nothing to effect Ware except to help keep him fresh. The Chiefs (and Reid) like to rotate their backs to some degree and that's unlikely to change. As for West, this week he could put up good numbers if Ware sits out, but he doesn't really have stand alone. He did very little earlier in the season when he was seeing time in the backfield.

Well I screwed myself here by not properly handcuffing. West snatched up by higher waiver priorities or pretty high FAAB bids (40% in one league).  

Get healthy fast, Spencer. 

IMO this thinking is flawed in that you are insinuating that Charles presence had something to do with the rotation.  Now that Charles is gone, West is going to beget his old 2015 role back?Charles has been a complete non factor.  Only reason he had his TD game is because West was out and they wanted to test the wheels finally.  Look at West touches to Ware touches when neither is on the injury report in 2016.

Well I screwed myself here by not properly handcuffing. West snatched up by higher waiver priorities or pretty high FAAB bids (40% in one league).  

Get healthy fast, Spencer. 
Same boat, knew I was never going to have a shot thanks to my "unfortunate" winning ways. While our kind of FA process provides parity, every year that goes by I wish we had a FAAB structure. Seems to make more sense.

Same boat, knew I was never going to have a shot thanks to my "unfortunate" winning ways. While our kind of FA process provides parity, every year that goes by I wish we had a FAAB structure. Seems to make more sense.
Well - it's great when you get to acquire anyone you want... but you sometimes look back and think "wish I hadn't spent so much on X player." 

I was out of FAAB in the FAAB league where I needed to handcuff (made my big splash with Ty Montgomery, which I'm totally OK with), which was especially dumb on my part since I TOLD MYSELF to pick up West, knowing I had to be proactive without having any FAAB, and I got distracted and missed the start time.  So then I was hoping Ware would come out of the game unscathed, and... well, not so lucky.

Chiefs practice today, guess we'll learn today...or later. With my money being on the later -- have a feeling this is going to go down to a GTD, with Ware not playing. 
Why?  He's either gonna clear concussion protocol or he's not.  If he clears, it's full steam ahead.  If he doesn't, then West is a great play.  I don't see this being murky as I don't think he's gonna clear concussion protocol and then not play normally.

Why?  He's either gonna clear concussion protocol or he's not.  If he clears, it's full steam ahead.  If he doesn't, then West is a great play.  I don't see this being murky as I don't think he's gonna clear concussion protocol and then not play normally.
Totally agree.  He either clears protocol or not.  It is not an ankle or hammy injury, if he clears he plays and is a full go.

I'm not sure West is better than Ware at any aspect of football. 
I agree, but not as sure as you that West is a jag. we could be looking at two rbs that can produce in this offense. Point is this is an A++ offense to,own a starting or even shared backfield, much like ATL. a sharp contrast to owning a GB or Jax rb, even if lacy had the Lions share of snaps b4 going down he was an rb4.

I wonder what questions they are asked as part of their concussion determination...If it is "how do you spell your name"...Charcandrick probably would never pass protocol...Between the resurgence of 'turf toe" this year and concussions my team has been effed..C'mon Spencer tell them what they want to hear and get back on the field.

Totally agree.  He either clears protocol or not.  It is not an ankle or hammy injury, if he clears he plays and is a full go.
Uh oh...."The team does not think Alex Smith has a concussion but he's not practicing and Foles will start Sunday".  That would fly in the face of our logic.

I actually don't think its this cut and dry, the Chiefs tend to lean on the conservative side when it comes to concussions.  IIRC last season Maclin got a concussion against the Vikings, he cleared protocol and practiced on Friday and everyone thought he was good to go on Sunday but they still made him a late scratch vs. the Steelers.

I think if he's active on Sunday, he's probably safe to start and should get a large workload, but just because he clears protocol and practices I wouldn't assume that means he plays.

I actually don't think its this cut and dry, the Chiefs tend to lean on the conservative side when it comes to concussions.  IIRC last season Maclin got a concussion against the Vikings, he cleared protocol and practiced on Friday and everyone thought he was good to go on Sunday but they still made him a late scratch vs. the Steelers.

I think if he's active on Sunday, he's probably safe to start and should get a large workload, but just because he clears protocol and practices I wouldn't assume that means he plays.
good info here. If you haven't made alternative arrangements to Ware this week by now, you're not really trying.

I am just going to assume he doesn't play. RB is a position of constant collision. Give the guy a rest or risk ruining your starter :2cents:

I own McCoy, Miller, Ware, and Dion Lewis in my dynasty league and that's about it at the RB position. With Charles going down what kind of cuff value would you place on West? At this point I may not have a single RB to start this week. Hightower is on the wire but i'm lower in priority. I sent an offer out for Hurns for West. Probably shouldn't get so specific but what kind of value would you place on West as a cuff here?

Seems not every starting RB in the NFL is a plug-and-play guy. Those that started West today (me on several teams) and Smith on Thursday night are finding out the hard way  :(

Great move starTing this turd, should have known better. Wait....I said same thing about antone smith & still didn't learn my lesson. There is a reason these guys don't start...they SUCK!!!!!!

There is a significant gap in skill level between Ware and West. Sometimes it's hard to see it because a player is running hot. 

I think it's time to bump this. :yes:

So roles have reversed this year as compared to 2015. If you recall, in 2015 West beat out all other RBs on the team when JC went down and took over the starting job last season. Once he had the job West preceded to dominate with elite RB production as the starter for 3 games before going down to injury in his 4th game. Ware stepped in to replace him and never gave the job back and has been uber productive for almost a full calendar year now. He must have worked hard on pass catching skills in the off season because, unlike last year he is now a dual threat back who can catch passes on long routes and already had impressive talent running the ball. Ware has had the starting job for half the year in 2016 and has been productive, but now might miss his first game, with West now healthy and waiting in the wings. I don't think Knile Davis or Sankey are legitimate threats at this point, but that could change I suppose, though not likely. There are 5 possible outcomes I see:

1. West steps in and goes off, meanwhile Ware stays in protocol for multiple weeks and West takes over. (least likely)

2. West fails to be effective and Ware still can't get healthy, but when he does come back the job is his. (not very likely)

3. Ware comes back as the starter this week and its just a scare. (not likely) Grab West if you can for insurance either way.

4. West does great for one game, then Ware comes back and everything is just the same as it was. (more likely than the previous 3)

5. West does enough to get more carries going forward for one or possibly more games, but its still Ware's job when he gets back, just not as valuable as before as West earns a percentage of snaps as he did earlier in the season. West's value is really only for one game, aside from being a high value handcuff or possible flex, but Ware's value diminishes too. (more likely than the previous 4)

West weekly snap counts first 8 weeks:

48%, 41%, 22%, 0%(West inj), bye, 0%,27%,57% (Ware inj)

Analysis:

The odd thing about all this is West getting injured earlier this season actually helps him now, because they had to rush JC back before they should have as the #2 RB for the games West couldn't play. This made everyone realize that JC isn't right for certain now as his knees swelled up after just a few carries and he is going to see Andrews which 9 times out of 10 is the kiss of death for fantasy value.

This news cleared a path to pick up West last week as the clear #2 for the remainder of the season. Astute owners probably already have West on their team so won't be in a bidding war for West this week, but if he is available I think its worth going after him pretty hard considering how quiet KC has been on Ware and how they have treated concussions in the past, especially since the microscope is on KC with how they possibly mishandled the whole Alex Smith concussion situation. It makes sense for KC to sit Ware this week even if he passes protocol imo, and that isn't even confirmed yet.

The other thing is it's not clear if West would have kept his snap percentage up in the 40% range if he stayed healthy. Had West never been injured and his snap counts remained in the 40% range, Ware owners would not be so confident. However, if West never got injured, and his snap counts dwindled to 0%, it would be obvious how KC felt about the RB job. evaluation wise

Ware's performance has been great this year (I am an owner), but he still had some bad games production wise, was also stinking it up vs IND before going down (as far as stats, haven't seen the game yet so jury still out) and has shown he has some problem areas in holding on to the ball. West performed without blemish in his starting role. To be honest, we don't know the team evaluations, but West did win the job back in 2015 and it took an injury for him to lose his job. KC had evaluated him highly enough to surpass Knile Davis which was surprising last season when West supplanted him as the cuff. If West never got injured in 2015 we may not have even known what Ware was capable of doing. I'm not saying West is better than Ware, but as  ware owner, I am taking note of West as a potential spoiler long term to his value, even if its not the most likely scenario.

It's an interesting situation. What do you guys think? :popcorn:
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread